What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Nick Foles era (3 Viewers)

Better stat line than Eli anyway. Otherwise, what I expected of a rookie getting thrown in there. We'll see how he is with a week of prep against a team coming off a bye next week.

So Foles gives up a fumble for TD at the end. An INT for a TD. Wasn't there another INT for a TD called back due to the holding call? Another ball that was thrown up for grabs that somehow ended up as a completion. If that's Vick he gets toasted. Instead we get "He did OK" "The INT was somebody else's fault." "Nobody would be good behind that offensive line".

So Foles gives up a fumble for TD at the end. An INT for a TD. Wasn't there another INT for a TD called back due to the holding call? Another ball that was thrown up for grabs that somehow ended up as a completion. If that's Vick he gets toasted. Instead we get "He did OK" "The INT was somebody else's fault." "Nobody would be good behind that offensive line".
:goodposting:

He was anything but studly. The ball run back for a TD really was JAcksons fault...but Foles got bailed out on another pic 6 by a defensive holding penalty away from the play, so those two balance out I guess.Ridiculous to hammer any QB for a sack fumble in the final minute in desperation mode.This is a rookie playing behind the leagues worst O-line, and he looked competant much of the time. He called audibles and adjusted his own protection...these two things are what many of us have been screaming about with Vick. He's not better than Vick right now, but what difference does that make on a 3-6 team? Vick is regressing...he has no ceiling. We don't know what Foles can really do, but his ceiling is higher than Vick's.I understood people wanting to leave Vick out there while the Eagles were still alive. At 3-6, the Eagles are NOT alive. It's time to give this kid the ball and see what he can do.

Who's the 3rd stringer? Trent Edwards? They'd be better off with him throwing and one of the kids who won the Madden tournament calling the plays.

Yes, because a rookie coming cold into his first-ever NFL action should always be evaluated the same as a 10-year vet.

Who's the 3rd stringer? Trent Edwards? They'd be better off with him throwing and one of the kids who won the Madden tournament calling the plays.
Trent Edwards was inactive and not available per the Eagles radio guy (Merril Reese). Edwards will be the backup to Foles if Vick isn't cleared to play. There is no benefit to playing Edwards unless Reid doesn't want to get Foles killed next week in DC.

Yes, because a rookie coming cold into his first-ever NFL action should always be evaluated the same as a 10-year vet.
many of my fellow iggles fans were convinced that foles would step in and immediately outperform vick. time for them to eat crow

many of my fellow iggles fans were convinced that foles would step in and immediately outperform vick. time for them to eat crow
oh no you di-in't

I'm in a few threads saying Vick needs to remain the starter. But you can't evaluate Foles based on a little more than half a game with no prep. That's why he needs to start the rest of the year and evaluate him on that. Today only tells us he looked good at times, like a rookie other times.

:goodposting:And it's great watching the Eagle faithful beg for him and then make excuses when he looked absolutely horrific.If Reid's gone, the new crew will bring in/draft their QB. Foles isn't the future anyway

I'm in a few threads saying Vick needs to remain the starter. But you can't evaluate Foles based on a little more than half a game with no prep. That's why he needs to start the rest of the year and evaluate him on that. Today only tells us he looked good at times, like a rookie other times.
i agree with your previous points. my post wasn't necessarily directed at you. it was directed at the irrational folks within our fanbase that expected foles to be our savior

:goodposting:And it's great watching the Eagle faithful beg for him and then make excuses when he looked absolutely horrific.If Reid's gone, the new crew will bring in/draft their QB. Foles isn't the future anyway
Agree, Foles is most likely just "a guy" that is getting hyped up due to Vick sucking. Give him a chance the rest of the way so we can draft a better talent or look to sign/trade for someone, I just dont want to go into next year thinking Foles is the guy if he sucks. Lets find out now.

Stepping in in a situation like that is far different from getting 1st team reps for a week.

Comparing what a 100 million dollar NFL QB who's been in the league 10 years versus a rookie 3rd round pick who just played in his first NFL game and you're actually wondering why Vick gets toasted? Do you know what NFL means?

Comparing what a 100 million dollar NFL QB who's been in the league 10 years versus a rookie 3rd round pick who just played in his first NFL game and you're actually wondering why Vick gets toasted? Do you know what NFL means?
Nick Foles Lover :shrug:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, enough with the dog jokes.

Yahoo! Sports' Jason Cole reports "it's a pretty strong bet" that the Eagles will "rest" Michael Vick (concussion) for the remainder of the season.

"I'm 99 percent sure that's exactly what you're going to see happen," a source tells Cole. "Andy is going to go to [owner] Jeff [Lurie] and [GM] Howie [Roseman] and say, 'Let's go with Foles and make the transition to the next era.'" Another source says Reid only stuck with Vick after Week 8 because he feared losing the locker room. Now that Vick is concussed, Reid has an excuse to go with a more traditional pocket offense with Nick Foles. "We have always had the issue with [Vick] about seeing the play and trusting it," said a source. "With Foles, maybe that gets easier."

Source: Yahoo! Sports Nov 12 - 1:00 PM

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/2107/michael-vick

oh no you di-in't
I would argue that he performed at the SAME level as Vick in his first NFL game

I think he might be "Ok" (again) this week.This is fantasy football - 22/32 for 232 with 1 TD and one INT that (yes) wasn't his fault in a partial game against the DAL DST which was allowing 5th fewest FFPA vs QBs now goes up against one of the best matchups WAS? He has McCoy, Jackson, Maclin, Cooper/Avant and Celek. I think this might work out ok.That stat line reminds me of Jeff Garcia when he was with Philly.

Dropped Vick for Foles today. Schedule the rest of the way has a ton of potential. I think NFL Network said it's the fifth-best for QBs through Week 16. Let's hope this kid is the real deal.

I dropped both Foles and Vick today in favor of Bradford and Weeden rest of way. Bradford actually has a very nice schedule, and Weeden decent in Week 15/16. I do think Bradford gets a bump given strong defense, Amendola return, and running game.

Foles has potential by virtue of his schedule, and fact that Reid throws a lot.. I would rather not pin my playoff hopes to Foles, however as he goes through Rookie learning curve.. Plus the PHL O=Line stinks, and their Dfense not much better.

I dropped both Foles and Vick today in favor of Bradford and Weeden rest of way. Bradford actually has a very nice schedule, and Weeden decent in Week 15/16. I do think Bradford gets a bump given strong defense, Amendola return, and running game.
I debated between Foles and Bradford. Went with Foles because I think his schedule is much better, the Eagles' skill position players are much better in my opinion and I fully expect Reid to maintain a pass-heavy approach no matter what, enhancing Foles' fantasy potential each week. I do like Bradford a lot, though. Just not confident he'll be consistently reliable or productive from a fantasy perspective.

Footballguys writers couldn't be more wrong about a player than Foles. Kid came in cold with 100% of the line gone and was throwing darts until Avant dropped a first down and King Dunlap my gosh. He only look a little suspect when we had to telegraph our plays down two scores, and even that wasn't as bad as it looked. He could throw for 300 and 2+ TDs this week vs a banged up Was def. And did anyone notice how relevant Eagles receivers looked with Foles getting the ball out with quick reads? I picked up Foles and Riley Cooper, I Have never been this excited as a Eagles fan since the Super Bowl

Footballguys writers couldn't be more wrong about a player than Foles. Kid came in cold with 100% of the line gone and was throwing darts until Avant dropped a first down and King Dunlap my gosh. He only look a little suspect when we had to telegraph our plays down two scores, and even that wasn't as bad as it looked. He could throw for 300 and 2+ TDs this week vs a banged up Was def. And did anyone notice how relevant Eagles receivers looked with Foles getting the ball out with quick reads? I picked up Foles and Riley Cooper, I Have never been this excited as a Eagles fan since the Super Bowl
Whoa whoa. Slow down there. I agree that the media and certain haters are blowing it out of proportion on what he is from one game but you're going the other way. Bottomline is, we have no idea what to expect from Foles. There are some good things we can build on but right now all we have is glimpses. I reserve my judgement on the guy till the end of the season. Right now I'll just watch without any expectations from him.

By my count, Foles had 201 yards passing in one half.How many times has Vick done that this year?Maclin went 8 targets, 8 catches, 93 yards, all in one half - how many times has he done any of that this year?I don't know what it is, but what I can remember are guys like aged Jeff Garcia and AJ Feeley (and Mike Vick 2010 by the way) coming in and doing better than the QBs they replaced and leading their teams to victories.Fun stat: the first start for the nine QB's coming in off the bench for Reid - no Caleb Hanies here, well except for Don McNabb who had the single worst performance of any of them:http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/boopstats/The-Eagles-Starting-Nine1113.html

Some folks think Eagles QB Nick Foles 'has better upside than Ryan Tannehill'

By Will Brinson | Senior Blogger

November 17, 2012 11:04 am ET

There's not much that should excite Eagles fans these days. But at least there's Nick Foles, right? With Michael Vick officially ruled out, the lanky rookie out of Arizona is set to make his first career start for Philadelphia on Sunday.

While it might be smart to temper expectations for a first-year quarterback with a bad offensive line, there are some folks with high expectations for the rook. Like, for instance, an AFC scout who told Geoff Moesher of CSNPhilly.com that Foles is "better than [Ryan] Tannehill."

“I thought he was better than Tannehill," the Arizona-based AFC scout told Moesher.

The scout in question looked at Foles, Tannehill, Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin III and Brock Osweiler and said he gave Foles a "second-round grade."

"I gave Nick a second-round grade," the scout said. "If I were a GM and had Nick and Tannehill on the board, I would have my quarterbacks coach really sit down with them and get a feel for both of them, work them out and get a good feel and then come to an agreement on who they were comfortable with.

"I think Tannehill has more things he's capable of not doing than Foles is capable of [not doing]. I think Nick Foles has better upside than Ryan Tannehill has now."

That is a pretty bold statement, considering how good Miami's Tannehill has looked at times this year. Despite Tannehill's numbers this season (58.1 completion percentage, six touchdowns, 11 interceptions) he's doing pretty well with absolutely no help. His offensive line has been a big-time letdown, and the Brian Hartline/Davonne Bess/Anthony Fasano combination isn't exactly elite.

Foles, on the other hand, will have DeSean Jackson, Jeremy Maclin and LeSean McCoy to work with. He also has nothing to lose with an Eagles team that looks destined to finish far out of the playoffs.

But Foles has the ability to do one very important thing if he's truly as good as this scout thinks: save Andy Reid's job. We'll likely find out if he can, starting this week against the Redskins.

Anyone got the stones to start him this week? I'm considering plugging him in over Freeman. Maybe some liquid courage could help me with that :banned:

Anyone got the stones to start him this week? I'm considering plugging him in over Freeman. Maybe some liquid courage could help me with that :banned:
I don't think it would take guts. He's going to be throwing against the 30th ranked defense. I can easily see a 300 yd, 2 TD kind of game. How many picks you get may vary.

'SaintsInDome2006 said:
By my count, Foles had 201 yards passing in one half.How many times has Vick done that this year?

Maclin went 8 targets, 8 catches, 93 yards, all in one half - how many times has he done any of that this year?

I don't know what it is, but what I can remember are guys like aged Jeff Garcia and AJ Feeley (and Mike Vick 2010 by the way) coming in and doing better than the QBs they replaced and leading their teams to victories.

Fun stat: the first start for the nine QB's coming in off the bench for Reid - no Caleb Hanies here, well except for Don McNabb who had the single worst performance of any of them:

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/boopstats/The-Eagles-Starting-Nine1113.html
My comment had nothing to do with Foles' passing production. He was handed a winnable game and he proceeded to lose it by giving up 2 defensive touchdowns; one was a pick 6 and the other was a fumble in the end zone. Moreover, he made at least two or three other throws that should have been picked off. In fact, one was another pick 6 that got called back due to a defensive hold away from the play. Moreover, his lone touchdown pass was vs. blown coverage and he grossly underthrew the ball to boot.

'SaintsInDome2006 said:
By my count, Foles had 201 yards passing in one half.How many times has Vick done that this year?

Maclin went 8 targets, 8 catches, 93 yards, all in one half - how many times has he done any of that this year?

I don't know what it is, but what I can remember are guys like aged Jeff Garcia and AJ Feeley (and Mike Vick 2010 by the way) coming in and doing better than the QBs they replaced and leading their teams to victories.

Fun stat: the first start for the nine QB's coming in off the bench for Reid - no Caleb Hanies here, well except for Don McNabb who had the single worst performance of any of them:

My comment had nothing to do with Foles' passing production. He was handed a winnable game and he proceeded to lose it by giving up 2 defensive touchdowns; one was a pick 6 and the other was a fumble in the end zone. Moreover, he made at least two or three other throws that should have been picked off. In fact, one was another pick 6 that got called back due to a defensive hold away from the play. Moreover, his lone touchdown pass was vs. blown coverage and he grossly underthrew the ball to boot.
I don't know what's worse. Defending Vick or gloating when a rookie did a slightly better job at what he's done all year.

'SaintsInDome2006 said:

I don't know what's worse. Defending Vick or gloating when a rookie did a slightly better job at what he's done all year.
Are you much of an Eagles fan? If so, then you you would know that a significant portion of the fans blame most of the Eagles' problems on Vick. Moreover, you would also know that there's a ton of people who think that Foles is Tom Brady. To those folks it's crazy to defend Vick or suggest that Foles is not the savior

'SaintsInDome2006 said:

Are you much of an Eagles fan? If so, then you you would know that a significant portion of the fans blame most of the Eagles' problems on Vick. Moreover, you would also know that there's a ton of people who think that Foles is Tom Brady. To those folks it's crazy to defend Vick or suggest that Foles is not the savior
If by significant portion you me no one at all when it comes to Foles being Tom Brady. Please. Don't let your love for Vick blind you from the truth. People do not think Foles is the 2nd coming. Vick is a VERY large part of the problem that this team has had this year. He should be blamed. That happens when you have 13 turnovers in 9 games. Using hyperbole as if the only 2 sides are "Foles is god" or "Vick is wrong" only makes you look like an idiot.

If by significant portion you me no one at all when it comes to Foles being Tom Brady. Please. Don't let your love for Vick blind you from the truth. People do not think Foles is the 2nd coming. Vick is a VERY large part of the problem that this team has had this year. He should be blamed. That happens when you have 13 turnovers in 9 games. Using hyperbole as if the only 2 sides are "Foles is god" or "Vick is wrong" only makes you look like an idiot.
You're clearly not gifted with high verbal aptitude. My original statement was directed towards those folks who considered Foles to be an immediate fix to the Eagles' problems. Perhaps you are such a person? Moreover, I am not a Vick apologist; at least I wasn't one before this season. However, the overwhelming amount of negativity and blame that has been thrown his direction has caused me to come to his defense at times. Where did I state that there were only two thoughts on Vick and Foles? I hope that I'm not the only one who considers neither Vick nor Foles to be the solution to our problems. Moreover, I hope that I'm not the only one who doesn't consider Vick to be the problem with this team. You are an idiot for not understanding the context of my original statement. Indeed, it is at the very least hypocritical to criticize Vick for his turnovers, downplay his yardage production, and point to his win-loss record, yet defend Foles' performance last Sunday despite the similar results. Again, I refer you to the second sentence in this post

:no: If you're much of an Eagles fan, you would know that that statement simply isn't true. And if you're not an Eagles fan which is probably true, then it's just another baseless assumption from the outside world throwing blanket statements around when they really don't know what in the hell they're talking about.

You're clearly not gifted with high verbal aptitude. My original statement was directed towards those folks who considered Foles to be an immediate fix to the Eagles' problems. Perhaps you are such a person? Moreover, I am not a Vick apologist; at least I wasn't one before this season. However, the overwhelming amount of negativity and blame that has been thrown his direction has caused me to come to his defense at times. Where did I state that there were only two thoughts on Vick and Foles? I hope that I'm not the only one who considers neither Vick nor Foles to be the solution to our problems. Moreover, I hope that I'm not the only one who doesn't consider Vick to be the problem with this team. You are an idiot for not understanding the context of my original statement. Indeed, it is at the very least hypocritical to criticize Vick for his turnovers, downplay his yardage production, and point to his win-loss record, yet defend Foles' performance last Sunday despite the similar results. Again, I refer you to the second sentence in this post
Obviously you have issues defending attacks that aren't there. Maybe in your inner circle people are placing the blame 100% on Vick but for most of us, Vick is only a part of the problem. However, he is hardly blameless. To excuse his blame is ridiculous. Plus No one, and I mean NO ONE, has stated that Foles performance on Sunday was the 2nd coming. Look around, you're fighting windmills. If you want to see my opinion on Foles, goto the Eagles thread.

I think a majority of Eagles fans feel Vick isn't taking them anywhere now or in the future. Foles is an unknown and has shown promise in his short time on the field. This discussion started by one poster comparing the reaction to Foles' performance against the Cowboys with the way the fans have treated Vick. Foles gets a mulligan for last week simply due to circumstance.There is no reason to return to Vick at anytime barring a Foles' injury. We need to see him play out the year and hope he's playing better in week 17 than he did last week. The Vick era needs to be over and Foles is next in line.

The Nick Foles error

2 INTs in the 1st Q.
:rolleyes: The first was 100% on Celek. The 2nd was under very heavy pressure 3rd and 20 outside of FG range 30 yards downfield.
My mistake. He looks great.
No he doesn't...but he looks as good as Vick. And for a rookie in his first start...Eagles fans will take that.
No, they are just happy to see a white QB there tbh.

The Nick Foles error

2 INTs in the 1st Q.
:rolleyes: The first was 100% on Celek. The 2nd was under very heavy pressure 3rd and 20 outside of FG range 30 yards downfield.
Can we please stop the "stupid". Do you happen to recall McNabb's stats in his first start? He worked out pretty well. How about Cunningham's? Do you remember he threw 4 INTs in his first start?

The Nick Foles error

2 INTs in the 1st Q.
Can we please stop the "stupid". Do you happen to recall McNabb's stats in his first start? He worked out pretty well. How about Cunningham's? Do you remember he threw 4 INTs in his first start?
Lighten up.

Eagles management from Reid on up haven't done this kid any favors this year. He's going to benefit a great deal once they're out of the picture.

The Nick Foles error

2 INTs in the 1st Q.
Lighten up.
I interpret that as a "no".

Users who are viewing this thread