What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Nick Foles era (2 Viewers)

With Wentz on his rookie deal they could absolutely afford to franchise him. Although I believe it is a threat to up the price to a first or second before they apply it rather than a pick next year.

With Wentz on his rookie deal they could absolutely afford to franchise him. Although I believe it is a threat to up the price to a first or second before they apply it rather than a pick next year.
Not with their current salary cap situation. They are already $12 million over the cap and franchising Nick increases that to $17 million over the cap. They only franchise him if they know they can trade him and not have his contract on the books for 2019.

Not with their current salary cap situation. They are already $12 million over the cap and franchising Nick increases that to $17 million over the cap. They only franchise him if they know they can trade him and not have his contract on the books for 2019.
Peters and Graham open up any they would need. Sproles and Hicks might go too.

If they franchise him, they would be in a very bad spot. They'd have very little leverage in a trade, as any team would know that they franchised him solely to trade him and they need to get him off the books. 

I don't see them doing that, way too risky, imo. 

I'm sure they'd love to make sure he doesn't wind up in the NFCE, but really, pretty hard for them to do so. 

Slider said:
Peters and Graham open up any they would need. Sproles and Hicks might go too.
Incorrect. Only Peters is under contract for next year so the Eagles are $12 million over the cap WITHOUT Graham, Sproles, or Hicks counting against the cap.

Peters would save $8 million. Chris Long and Jerrinagen would save another $12.5 if you cut them, but that leaves you only $3.5 million in cap space after you franchise Foles. The Eagles would have to restructure or cut more players to make it work. I just don't know if doing that is going to be worth it just to get a 1st or 2nd rounder in a trade when you will get a 3rd rounder as compensation if he exercises his $2 million option

Again, if Howie Roseman is doing the franchise option, he's already figured out the cap ramifications. They obviously want to trade him. Duh. If they were worried it wasn't possible, then they'd have just released him. Howie has some team in mind that's indicated interest in trading for Foles. I trust his knowledge of how it works within the cap over anybody else. I'll just sit back and wait to hear what we got and who it is from.

fantasycurse42 said:
If they franchise him, they would be in a very bad spot. They'd have very little leverage in a trade, as any team would know that they franchised him solely to trade him and they need to get him off the books. 

I don't see them doing that, way too risky, imo. 

I'm sure they'd love to make sure he doesn't wind up in the NFCE, but really, pretty hard for them to do so. 
That's true, IF there's only one team interested.  If you have more - then the Eagles get the leverage back.  I don't know which teams are interested.  We'll see.

I think the Eagles are going to have limited trade partners that fit the criteria of a QB needy team and being a Philly preferred destination (non-NFC East teams).

• Giants - no way Philly trades Foles within the division here with all the offensive weapons the Giants have
  • Redskins - can't see Foles being traded within the division here either in addition to the amount of cap space the Redskins's would have tied up in Alex Smith and Foles. Their most reasonably route is to draft a QB and use his cheap rookie contract to pair with Smith.
  • Bucs - they seem committed to Winston for 2019
  • Dolphins - already on the record saying they won't make any major signings this off-season to naturally bottom out and grab a QB in 2020 with a presumably top 5 pick.
  • Jaguars - perfect fit for both Philly and Jacksonville. Jags will have high interest in Foles and Philly is fine with shipping him there.
  • Titans - they seem committed to Mariota for 2019
  • Raiders - they're fine with Carr
  • Broncos - there will be interest here but how much? They can't have both Keenum and Foles on the roster. Keenum saves $11 million if he's cut but also creates $10 million is dead cap. Still doable as the cap hit on the first year of a Foles contract would be around $15 million. Net loss of roughly $5 million but they have about $40 million in cap to work with this off-season. Depends if Elway wants to be tied to Foles or desires to grab a QB high in the draft either this year or next year.
I see 2 trade partners at best. It'll depend on Denver's interest for there to be a trade market for Foles.

Nick Foles declined his $20 million option, making him a free agent.

Foles bought back his freedom temporarily for $2 million. The question now becomes whether the Eagles will answer back and use the franchise tag on Foles in an effort to trade him. The endgame at some point will be Foles donning a new uniform in 2019. It’s just a matter of how he gets to that. He’s going to get a multi-year deal.

Related: Eagles

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter 

Feb 5 - 9:09 PM

babydemon90 said:
For the record, I have no issues trading Foles within the division.
Agree with this. A) you probably know his strengths and weaknesses better than anyone else, so you know the best way to play against him and B) Since you know his strengths and weaknesses, you have a good idea whether he will be a good fit with the team he is going to.

People thought the Eagles were crazy for trading Donovan McNabb to the Redskins. How did that work out for the Eagles?

Agree with this. A) you probably know his strengths and weaknesses better than anyone else, so you know the best way to play against him and B) Since you know his strengths and weaknesses, you have a good idea whether he will be a good fit with the team he is going to.

People thought the Eagles were crazy for trading Donovan McNabb to the Redskins. How did that work out for the Eagles?
Donovan was done though. He hung on for a few more years but he was cooked by the time he went to Washington. Nick still has some decent years ahead of him. 

Donovan was done though. He hung on for a few more years but he was cooked by the time he went to Washington. Nick still has some decent years ahead of him. 
The crazy thing is that his last season in Philly was age 33. He only played 2 more years (19 games). 

True. And I am not advocating trading within the division. I just don't think it is something to automatically be afraid to do. Like you trusting Howie with the salary cap and franchise tag for Nick, I trust that if the Eagles do trade within the division it is because they know enough about the situation that they think they will come out on the better end of the trade.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jay Gruden and Pat Shurmur Don’t exactly strike fear into defensive hearts.  It’ll be fine.  I’d be far more worried if they got Wentz

True. And I am not advocating trading within the division. I just don't think it is something to automatically be afraid to do. Like you trusting Howie with the salary cap and franchise tag for Nick, I trust that if the Eagles do trade within the division it is because they know enough about the situation that they think they will come out on the better end of the trade.
I'd trade him to Wash but not NYG.

NFL Network's Mike Garafolo reports Nick Foles and the Jaguars have "mutual interest."

Surprisingly few teams enter this offseason with a real need at quarterback, and one of those teams, the Broncos, seemingly made their move by trading for Joe Flacco on Wednesday. That leaves the Jaguars as the best and most likely landing spot for the former Super Bowl MVP. Jacksonville does not have any cap space right now, but they can create room with a few expected cuts.

RELATED:  

Philadelphia Eagles

, Jacksonville Jaguars

SOURCE: NFL Network on Twitter

Feb 14, 2019, 7:33 AM

Eagles GM Howie Roseman said the team will not use the franchise tag on Nick Foles, allowing him to become a free agent.

The tag was in play as a way to trade Foles and get compensation back, but the Eagles are just cutting the cord and moving on with Carson Wentz, allowing Foles a clear path to pick his own team. Foles just turned 30 last month and is easily the most sought-after free agent passer. The Jaguars have been mentioned the most as a landing spot. There just don't appear to be a ton of suitors that give Foles a chance to win. Jacksonville may be his best bet.

RELATED: 

Philadelphia Eagles

SOURCE: Mike Garafolo on Twitter

Feb 27, 2019, 10:37 AM

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Jaguars "head into free agency as the favorite" to sign Nick Foles.

There just don't seem to be many other options out there for Foles. The Raiders remain committed to Derek Carr, the Giants appear to be traveling down the Eli Manning plus a rookie path, the Broncos already acquired Joe Flacco, the Redskins can't afford to pay both Alex Smith and Foles, and the Dolphins are in tank mode. The Jaguars at least have a talented roster, and adding an upgrade at quarterback would go a long way to getting them back in the playoff mix. At this point, it would be an upset if Foles didn't sign with Jacksonville.

RELATED: 

Jacksonville Jaguars

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Feb 27, 2019, 12:02 PM

The logic makes sense, but I think if Foles ends up in Jacksonville he's going to be miserable. It seems like a total non-fit culture/attitude wise. 

GroveDiesel said:
The logic makes sense, but I think if Foles ends up in Jacksonville he's going to be miserable. It seems like a total non-fit culture/attitude wise. 
True but where would be better?  I mean I guess he could have just said "thank you very much" and taken 20m to be the eagles backup. 

Les Bowens of the Philadelphia Inquirer reports the Jaguars are expected to sign free agent QB Nick Foles.

The Jaguars have been linked to Foles all offseason and Bowens expects their rumored marriage to become official when free agency begins on March 13. Because the Jaguars appear to be the only team bidding for him, the former Super Bowl MVP may be forced to settle for a below-market deal. The Eagles briefly considered a tag-and-trade with Foles, though that was never a likely outcome. Assuming Foles ends up in Jacksonville, the 30-year-old should be a big upgrade on perennial headache Blake Bortles.

RELATED: 

Jacksonville Jaguars

SOURCE: Philadelphia Inquirer

Mar 3, 2019, 10:49 AM

Les Bowens of the Philadelphia Inquirer reports the Jaguars are expected to sign free agent QB Nick Foles.

The Jaguars have been linked to Foles all offseason and Bowens expects their rumored marriage to become official when free agency begins on March 13. Because the Jaguars appear to be the only team bidding for him, the former Super Bowl MVP may be forced to settle for a below-market deal. The Eagles briefly considered a tag-and-trade with Foles, though that was never a likely outcome. Assuming Foles ends up in Jacksonville, the 30-year-old should be a big upgrade on perennial headache Blake Bortles.

RELATED: 

Jacksonville Jaguars

SOURCE: Philadelphia Inquirer

Mar 3, 2019, 10:49 AM
Bump Forunette.  Now get some OL to help both.

If I owned Fournette I would be trading him so fast assuming others think this is enough of a value bump.  

The Jaguars should be using their high pick on a QB even if they sign Foles.  Fan pitchforks will be going crazy if Foles doesn't work out and after they pass up both Watson and Mahomes in 2017 and then don't learn from that in 2019...

Foles also isn't that good...  Good luck with him succeeding in what the Jaguars seem to think is a modern offense. 

Last edited by a moderator:
If I owned Fournette I would be trading him so fast assuming others think this is enough of a value bump.  

The Jaguars should be using their high pick on a QB even if they sign Foles.  Fan pitchforks will be going crazy if Foles doesn't work out and after they pass up both Watson and Mahomes in 2017 and then don't learn from that in 2019...

Foles also isn't that good...  Good luck with him succeeding in what the Jaguars seem to think is a modern offense. 
Murray and haskins will be gone by their pick....so they will have to invest alot of capital to move up....

If they bring in foles...i hope they let diflillipo run his offense...if not jax will be gettin rams style foles....

Jax should trade forunette...i dont think he lasts in the league

Rams style Foles in this offense, that's exactly what I'm worried about. 

I agree that they should trade Fournette if they can get anything in return. 

With Murray surging after the combine it might be too expensive to get one of the top two.  Their roster is solid enough though that they should be fine giving up a mid round pick or two to get a top QB, assuming it's not more expensive than that. 

Foles can be very good....in the right style of offense. I agree that Jacksonville does not seem to have the offense in place that is optimal for Foles.

Nick Foles will not participate in OTAs this week because of "personal reasons."

Players miss offseason practices all the time, but this seems like something more serious. There is reportedly "no timetable for his return," and coach Doug Marrone said, "Our thoughts and prayers are with Nick and his family." We echo those sentiments.

SOURCE: Daniel Popper on Twitter

May 28, 2019, 10:41 AM ET

Schefter was on Philly sports radio this morning. No one will tell him what's going on. He said when he asked people who would be in the know, he was told to "don't ask".

Schefter was on Philly sports radio this morning. No one will tell him what's going on. He said when he asked people who would be in the know, he was told to "don't ask".
To expand on this a little, the Jaguars organization is respecting Nick's privacy. No one will talk about it, so they basically told Schefter to stop asking about it.  Nick will speak when necessary.

Excerpt from Tori Foles' Instagram post:
As several of you knew, we were about 15 weeks pregnant with our 2nd baby. Early Sunday morning after a rough couple days fighting a “virus” of some sort, I went into sudden labor and knew something was wrong. Not long after we learned we had miscarried our baby boy. To fully labor and deliver and even see our baby boy was a pretty devastating process. Come to find that I had contracted an infection of pneumonia in the blood. The emotions go back and forth from immense and overwhelming sadness, confusion and anger to a firm belief that God has this fully in his hands and will use this for good. We cannot always understand or explain, but we know that is true.

Users who are viewing this thread