Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

The Nick Foles era

Jed

3 hours ago, skillz said:

Me too.  It’s either him or Fitzpatrick after drafting Wentz and Jones.   What a mess. 

Also did this, Jones was gone before season started and dropped Wentz for Tanny last week. 

Foles is intriguing, he knows the system in CHI since Nagy is a Reid guy. The Bears have decent weapons, he could surprise. 

12 hours ago, DocHolliday said:

Philly fans will lose their minds if Foles performs well.  The Foles vs Wentz debate will be fired back up.   Could be entertaining.   

Not really.  Foles is atrocious half the games he plays in.  Even with Philly.  Then he out of nowhere has these magical games where he is simply amazing.  He's not consistant enough to be anyone's franchise QB, but he's definitely exciting and can elevate his play in an instant.  Will be curious how he does with Chicago, but I assume they still keep an eye out for their franchise guy soon enough.

On 9/29/2020 at 12:15 AM, az_prof said:

How do you compare Foles to other bottom dwellers like Fitzgerald, Teddy B, etc?

I've been attempting to compare them more on their matchups.  I am on full out streaming QB mode.  I drafted Brady and Wentz.  I gave up on Brady pretty quickly and held onto Wentz because of his matchup with the Bengals.  Wentz had a pretty bad game and if it weren't for OT and his rushing TD he probably would have had another bad game.  So after that I pretty much gave up on him and dropped him for Fitzpatrick.  Fitz has a good matchup this week vs. SEA at home, but beyond this week he doesn't have very good matchups.  I've been looking at schedules to see who is playing against teams that are letting up a lot of points to QB's.  

Week 5 Bridgewater is playing the Falcons so I will probably go after him.  He has about 4 other really good matchups the rest of the year.

Foles has a streak from week 6 to 10 against teams that let up a lot of points to QB's.  If he is still available I may go after him in week 6 and see how it plays out.  

Right now my 2nd QB is Herbert.  I am kind of stashing him right now.  I just have a feeling that is nothing more than a gut feeling that Tyrod is not going to play the rest of the year.  I was really impressed with how Herbert played against the Chiefs and I am really impressed with his size.  It is very rare that a rookie QB can make a big impact, but I thought about what Burrow is doing this year and thought I would take a chance.  Another thing about Herbert is he has several really good matchups in the back half of the season.

Interestingly enough Fitz does not have great matchups the remainder of the year and if the team doesn't contend I think they will go to Tua when it comes down to it.

the 49ers have some good matchups the remainder of the year.  They are a bit of a mess right now but I would definitely consider streaming Garoppolo or Mullens if needed.

Even Sam Darnold has good matchups, especially in the back half of the year.  Sure, I know without his running TD last night he may have had a very average to below average night, but he had a good fantasy night against a Broncos team that lets up a lot of points to QB's.  No reason he can't do it again as his team gets healthy.

In the end I think Foles compares pretty well to the rest out there.  I think he compares better than Fitz because of his schedule and the pressure coming from Tua.  I think he compares pretty even with Bridgewater.  I would give him a slight edge because of the offense he plays in.  In the end I would rank him as the king of the bottom dwellers.  I am going to try and pick him up for his week 6 to 10 stretch and re-evaluate after that if I can get him.  

On 9/29/2020 at 2:31 PM, DocHolliday said:

Philly fans will lose their minds if Foles performs well.  The Foles vs Wentz debate will be fired back up.   Could be entertaining.   

I completely agree.  I think they are losing their minds already after 1 week.  I don't think it takes much for Philly fans to lose their minds in the first place.

I will definitely be entertaining.  In fact, I would say they have been losing their minds about this situation ever since Foles was traded to the Jags.  This will just add to it.

for the uneducated, many philly fans on this board actually roots for Foles including this guy. he gave us a SB and got a nice pay day out of it. This is the same guy who contemplated retiring from the league before coming back to the Eagles, it's a good story for a good guy, though I use to root against him during his college days. Keeping Wentz was the right call if they had to move one of the two at that time. in hindsight... still the right call. he beat out Trubisky, not some legitimate NFL QB. I mean, he couldn't beat out Minshew. Foles is a better version of Fitzmagic, slinger who plays with no fear. that's not that great for NFL winning.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Pigskin Fanatic said:

for the uneducated, many philly fans on this board actually roots for Foles including this guy. he gave us a SB and got a nice pay day out of it. This is the same guy who contemplated retiring from the league before coming back to the Eagles, it's a good story for a good guy, though I use to root against him during his college days. Keeping Wentz was the right call if they had to move one of the two at that time. in hindsight... still the right call. he beat out Trubisky, not some legitimate NFL QB. I mean, he couldn't beat out Minshew. Foles is a better version of Fitzmagic, slinger who plays with no fear. that's not that great for NFL winning.

Bang on here.  I wish Foles the best, he will always be a hero in Philly and might be one of the best guys in the league. 

Nick Foles completed 26-of-42 passes for 249 yards, one touchdown, and one interception in the Bears' 19-11, Week 4 loss to the Colts.

Foles' first Bears start was a forgettable one. He didn't throw a touchdown until there was 1:35 left on the clock, down 19-3, so it was a garbage-time score that went to Allen Robinson from 16 yards out. Foles was inaccurate most of the day against the Colts' zone scheme. Things won't be much easier next week when the Bears host the Bucs' top-notch defense. Foles is a bottom-barrel QB2.

- Rotoworld

Edited by The Frankman

Nick Foles completed 30-of-42 passes for 243 yards, one touchdown and an interception in the Bears' 20-19, Week 5 win over the Bucs. 

Foles was truly ghastly against the Bucs' elite defense, but Tom Brady wasn't much better, and the Bears managed to hang around despite one go-nowhere drive after another. Foles missed a number of literally wide-open throws, including arguably the worst pass by any quarterback this season. Darnell Mooney was free and clear for a 52-yard score after lighting the ground on fire with an unstoppable route, but Foles missed him by 4-5 yards. Foles did experience the upside of inaccuracy in the second half where one throw was so bad it accidentally created a DPI when the receiver tried to turn back for the ball. Despite the miscues, Foles' INT probably should have been caught by Allen Robinson. It bounced off A-Rob's chest into Carlton Davis' waiting hands, who turned it into a 34-yard return. Foles was spotted begging Matt Nagy for more tempo on the sideline, but the duo made a number of dubious clock management decisions in the second half. Foles hasn't been any better than Mitchell Trubisky, but the Bears will not be turning back. The Panthers are on tap for Week 6. 

- Rotoworld

Edited by The Frankman

• 2 weeks later...

Nick Foles completed 23-of-39 passes for 198 yards, one touchdown and an interception in the Bears' 23-16, Week 6 win over the Panthers. 

The Bears are now 5-1 with a point differential of +12. Incredible, but this team has done an outstanding job of winning close games. Foles' first touchdown was his best moment of the contest, threading a pass through multiple defenders to rookie TE Cole Kmet after taking a delay of game out of a timeout. Foles added another rushing score on a goal line plunge after David Montgomery was ruled just short. Next up, the Rams on Monday Night Football.

Oct 18, 2020, 4:15 PM ET

• 2 weeks later...

Nick Foles completed 28-of-40 passes for 261 scoreless yards and two interceptions in the Bears' 24-10, Week 7 loss to the Rams Monday night.

Foles entered this one averaging a pitiful 5.8 yards per attempt, yet Bears fans had been doing victory laps, suggesting GM Ryan Pace made the right call by giving up compensation for him and his contract over the offseason. The reality is Foles has been very mediocre and was terrible in this one. He missed two would-be easy touchdowns when his receivers dusted Jalen Ramsey. One should've been a 96-yarder to Darnell Mooney, and then Javon Wims beat Ramsey for a would-be 66-yarder in the fourth quarter. Foles is merely a game manager who can't afford turnovers. The overrated 5-2 Bears host the Saints in Week 8.

Oct 26, 2020, 11:22 PM ET

Like we've said before, Nick is either garbage or amazing... there's no in between with him.  Luckily for the Eagles he got his amazing games during the playoffs.  But anyone STILL trying to push the narrative that they should have kept him over Carson will likely crawl in a hole now until Nick has his next amazing game.

8 hours ago, Deamon said:

Like we've said before, Nick is either garbage or amazing... there's no in between with him.  Luckily for the Eagles he got his amazing games during the playoffs.  But anyone STILL trying to push the narrative that they should have kept him over Carson will likely crawl in a hole now until Nick has his next amazing game.

I thought it was a close contest when games matter but Foles isn’t going to carry a team to the games that matter.   Wentz is playing very well with very little help.   I’m not sure it’s sustainable but Wentz is carrying that O.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Nick Foles completed 15-of-26 passes for 106 yards and an interception before being carted off the field with a leg/hip injury in the Bears' Week 10 loss to the Vikings.

Bears coach Matt Nagy stated that he believes Foles will be ready to play after the Bears' Week 11 bye but couldn't be certain. He also added that Foles was in a lot of pain. Mitchell Trubsiky was inactive on Monday night due to a shoulder injury so Tyler Bray came in and completed one of his five pass attempts on the final Chicago drive. Foles was inaccurate and missed the mark on multiple throws versus Minnesota but losing him would still be a downgrade for the entire offense. Allen Robinson struggled early in the year with Trubisky under center and Bray did not look ready for NFL action in his brief stint on Monday night.

SOURCE: Mark Maske on Twitter

Nov 17, 2020, 12:29 AM ET

Bears QB Nick Foles didn't sustain a hip fracture Monday night against the Vikings. 

Foles was carted off in the waning moments of the game after being slammed to the ground -- an inglorious end to an inglorious night for the Bears QB. The injury apparently wasn't as serious as it appeared. Head coach Matt Nagy said the team would evaluate Foles through their Week 11 bye. Tyler Bray, an eighth-year NFL veteran who had thrown one regular season pass in his career entering Monday night against Minnesota, could be in line to start Week 12 if Foles and Mitch Trubisky (shoulder) are inactive. Every Bears player outside Allen Robinson is a borderline fantasy play for the remainder of the season. 

RELATED: 

Tyler Bray

, Mitchell Trubisky

SOURCE: Chicago Tribune 

Nov 17, 2020, 9:17 AM ET

NICK FOLES QB, CHICAGO BEARS

Bears coach Matt Nagy said the team is still evaluating the statuses of both Nick Foles (hip, glute) and Mitchell Trubisky (shoulder) for Week 12 against the Packers.

Some choice. Nagy also said a quarterback change is "still on the table." Foles was carted off in Chicago's putrid showing on offense against the Vikings last Monday night but the team is apparently still holding out hope he'll turn around for another primetime game on Sunday. Trubisky, still considered week-to-week, meanwhile hasn't been active with a shoulder injury the past two games. Tyler Bray replaced Foles in the fourth quarter of Week 11, launching four incompletions into the sidelines, but would be the fallback option if neither Foles or Trubisky can go.

RELATED: 

Mitchell Trubisky

SOURCE: Jeff Dickerson on Twitter

Nov 23, 2020, 2:34 PM ET

Nick Foles (hip) was held out of Wednesday's practice.

It is too early to know if Foles or Mitchell Trubisky will start on Sunday Night Football against the Packers. The Bears were on a bye last week, so it is not a good sign that Foles missed the first practice ahead of Week 12 after seven days off.

Nov 25, 2020, 7:55 PM ET

• 5 months later...

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports it will be "extremely difficult" for the Bears to trade Nick Foles this offseason. 

Rapoport cited Foles' contract as a nonstarter, but it's the play of the journeyman QB that will make it nearly impossible to entice a team -- any team. Foles is guaranteed $4 million in 2021 and $5 million in 2022. That's a lot of cash for a quarterback who will probably be inactive on game days this season. The team's starting job is Justin Fields' to lose, no matter what pronouncements Bears coaches make in the coming months. 

RELATED: 

Justin Fields

, Andy Dalton

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Apr 30, 2021, 12:28 PM ET

• 3 months later...
35 minutes ago, Bluesbomber said:

Is a 4th round pick to much to expect from Nick Foles? Bears carrying im and Jimmy Graham for a lot of money...but winning experience can pay off as a historically long season plays out...IMO

Its not too much to give up for a team who needs a QB. Foles is a high-end backup in my opinion, who can certainly be a credible starter for stretches. 

Foles does seem redundant to keep around with Dalton there. 

• Like 1

Josina Anderson reports the Colts have had "no substantive point-to-point talks" for Bears QB Nick Foles.

32-year-old Foles is an obvious connection to coach Frank Reich given their experience together in Philadelphia, but the former's $6.6 million cap hit is an entirely different issue. Even with Wentz expected to miss the next 5-12 weeks after undergoing foot surgery, it's highly unlikely Indianapolis gets involved for the veteran backup. In the meantime, sophomore fourth-rounder Jacob Eason and rookie dual-threat Sam Ehlinger will continue to take all the reps they can handle to prepare for Week 1 of the regular season.

RELATED: 

Carson Wentz

SOURCE: Josina Anderson on Twitter

Aug 2, 2021, 2:16 PM ET

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports the Colts will not be trading for Nick Foles, Marcus Mariota, Gardner Minshew, or any other veteran quarterback "at this time."

Per Mort, Carson Wentz (foot surgery) will start his rehab in two weeks and has yet to be ruled out for the Week 1 opener. The Colts will take a wait-and-see approach under center, rolling with Jacob Eason, Brett Hundley, and rookie Sam Ehlinger for the remainder of the summer, giving Wentz a chance to be back early in the season. If things get complicated, Indy's tune could obviously change. Foles' connection with coach Frank Reich has made him the Colts' most likely trade target.

RELATED: 

Marcus Mariota

, Gardner Minshew

, Indianapolis Colts

SOURCE: Chris Mortensen on Twitter

Aug 2, 2021, 6:48 PM ET

• 4 weeks later...

Sports Illustrated's Albert Breer said the Bears will "listen" to trade offers for QB Nick Foles. 

Breer added that he's "gotten the sense they aren’t going to send [Foles] somewhere he doesn’t want to go" in the days leading up to the regular season. Foles has seemed eager to move on from his third-string role in Chicago to a team where he might have a shot at playing time. It would be difficult to pinpoint a team for whom Foles would be an upgrade at backup quarterback. Foles was 11-for-16 for 150 yards and two touchdowns in three preseason games. 

SOURCE: SI.com 

Aug 30, 2021, 10:28 AM ET

Rotoworld/NBC Sports editorials sometimes throw me for a loop. Difficult to pinpoint teams where Foles would be an upgrade at backup QB? How about over half the NFL? Just off the top of my head, Arizona, Atlanta, Buffalo, Carolina, Cincinnati, Dallas, Detroit, Indy, Jacksonville, LA(both Chargers and Rams), Minnesota, NY(both Giants and Jets), Seattle, Tampa, Tennessee, Washington.

1 hour ago, travdogg said:

Rotoworld/NBC Sports editorials sometimes throw me for a loop. Difficult to pinpoint teams where Foles would be an upgrade at backup QB? How about over half the NFL? Just off the top of my head, Arizona, Atlanta, Buffalo, Carolina, Cincinnati, Dallas, Detroit, Indy, Jacksonville, LA(both Chargers and Rams), Minnesota, NY(both Giants and Jets), Seattle, Tampa, Tennessee, Washington.

Performance-wise, I generally agree, but I wonder if his contract is an issue for a trade. His salary in both 2021 and 2022 is $4M, which is expensive for a QB2. He also has a 2022 roster bonus of $4M, which is already guaranteed. Since it is payable in 2022, it may be the responsibility of his new team if he is traded, meaning if that team keeps him, he costs $8M in 2022, and if it releases him, that team eats $4M in dead 2022 cap money.

For example, you listed the Chargers. It looks like the Chargers will keep both Daniel and Stick, which I disagree with. But given that, I don't see any chance they would want Foles over either of them. They like Daniel because he is a solid veteran who knows Lombardi's offense and thus can mentor Herbert effectively. They seemingly like Stick because they think he still has potential to develop into a strong, athletic backup QB (I disagree and think they should drop him to the practice squad). They seem to be happy with how both performed in the new offense as a whole through the offseason/preseason. I don't think they would or should prefer Foles with his contract to either of them with their contracts (Daniel at 1 year, ~$1.1M; Stick at 2 years, ~$2M).