What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** TJ Yeldon (2015 Draft Eligible) Bandwagon *** (1 Viewer)

He is going to get the ball, that is all that matters right now.
Yeah, don't take into account anything else. That's all that matters. Like last year when Toby Gerhardt was going to get the ball. Actually, he did. How did that work out?
Comparing Toby to TJ is comedy gold.
Gerhardt like Yeldon was a second round pick and he had a better college career - it's not like it's that outlandish.
yes it is outlandish.
Well it's settled then.

I have the 4th pick and am seriously considering Yeldon in that spot. I figure Gurley, Gordon and one of Cooper/White will be gone. It's a reach but I really like Yeldon and RBs tend to go quick in this league. I'm not sure if I trade down he would not be picked in this spot anyhow or a couple after. I have all summer to make the final call but if the draft were today I think I would lean that way.
See. This is the problem. Sure they do. But they aren't always right. I'm sure Sankey went early. Moreno, Wells, Trich, M. Ball.

Don't get caught up in the NEED to take a guy because "that's how it goes". In dynasty, if you are looking at Amari Cooper, Kevin White, or Devante Parker at 4, I think you could live with that for a LONG time.
I could take the consensus next best at #4 based on other drafts or rankings but the guys you mention are no more of a lock for success than Yeldon. I understand what you're saying but if I wait and select an RB with my next pick the fall off would be huge whereas the WRs will have hardly been touched and I will get more value picking one later than sooner.
I get your point given relative number of WR vs. RBs, etc, and I'm sure you're right in that the falloff might appear like a large casm but Cooper/White/Parker all look pretty special to me.

To me, it looks like "Do I want Yeldon and Dorsett/Funchess-that type" or "do I want cooper or white or Parker and Ajayi (has fallen to the 2nd in all my drafts),Duke Johnson, David Cobb, David Johnson".

I just think the 2nd option appears better because the Rbs, for once, appear deep enough.

I have the 4th pick and am seriously considering Yeldon in that spot. I figure Gurley, Gordon and one of Cooper/White will be gone. It's a reach but I really like Yeldon and RBs tend to go quick in this league. I'm not sure if I trade down he would not be picked in this spot anyhow or a couple after. I have all summer to make the final call but if the draft were today I think I would lean that way.
See. This is the problem. Sure they do. But they aren't always right. I'm sure Sankey went early. Moreno, Wells, Trich, M. Ball.Don't get caught up in the NEED to take a guy because "that's how it goes". In dynasty, if you are looking at Amari Cooper, Kevin White, or Devante Parker at 4, I think you could live with that for a LONG time.
I could take the consensus next best at #4 based on other drafts or rankings but the guys you mention are no more of a lock for success than Yeldon. I understand what you're saying but if I wait and select an RB with my next pick the fall off would be huge whereas the WRs will have hardly been touched and I will get more value picking one later than sooner.
I get your point given relative number of WR vs. RBs, etc, and I'm sure you're right in that the falloff might appear like a large casm but Cooper/White/Parker all look pretty special to me.To me, it looks like "Do I want Yeldon and Dorsett/Funchess-that type" or "do I want cooper or white or Parker and Ajayi (has fallen to the 2nd in all my drafts),Duke Johnson, David Cobb, David Johnson".

I just think the 2nd option appears better because the Rbs, for once, appear deep enough.
I'll go yeldon, ajayi/duke.

Cross-posted from the Robinson thread:

If Yeldon breaks one more long run, I think he is the only RB with 1,000 rushing yards in his first three seasons in Alabama history.

I think he is underrated for a few reasons.

1) He wasn't "the man" at Alabama, but he split time with some talented other RBs, like Eddie Lacy (but Lacy in turn also split time with Yeldon, and turned out OK).

2) Didn't run a a 4.4 (but you could say that about a lot of successful RBs).

3) JAX is perceived as a weak offense destination, but will it always be so (maybe his presence will make it better).

4) Gurley and Gordon stole his thunder, as the only first round RBs since 2012 (if not for them, I think he may have been the highest drafted RB in the past three drafts, which includes some good ones, like Bell, Lacy, Hill and Bernard?).

I'm impressed with him as a runner, especially his smooth, gliding style, and effortless movement skills, COD ability and elusiveness for a RB around 225 lbs. Barring injury, imo he carves out a large role for himself.

Rotoworld:

ESPN Jaguars reporter Mike DiRocco expects T.J. Yeldon to become Jacksonville's "feature back" this season.

Not content with Denard Robinson or Toby Gerhart atop the depth chart, Jacksonville searched high and low for a foundation back this offseason before selecting Yeldon with the No. 36 overall pick in the draft. He is expected to immediately become the Jags' three-down workhorse, and has a chance to threaten the top-ten of running back touches this season. Yeldon is an RB2 with upside in redraft formats.

Source: ESPN.com

May 16 - 2:06 PM

The reviews on him are polarizing. Reminds me of Eddie Lacy in that regard. Some people love him, some dont. But he will be given every opportunity. If Jacksonville wasnt a bad team he would be talked about right there with Gordon. But sometimes it takes talent like Yeldon to make teams better. Very very young team with a ton of room to grow.

Bortles

Yeldon Robinson

Robinson Lee Hurns

Thomas

8 years of NFL experience and Thomas accounts for three of them. Thomas is the only one with more than one year experience to be factual. Give them a chance to grow.

The reviews on him are polarizing. Reminds me of Eddie Lacy in that regard. Some people love him, some dont. But he will be given every opportunity. If Jacksonville wasnt a bad team he would be talked about right there with Gordon. But sometimes it takes talent like Yeldon to make teams better. Very very young team with a ton of room to grow.

Bortles

Yeldon Robinson

Robinson Lee Hurns

Thomas

8 years of NFL experience and Thomas accounts for three of them. Thomas is the only one with more than one year experience to be factual. Give them a chance to grow.
agreed.

if bortles can become just an average to decent nfl starter their offense could be good. rashad greene as a slot guy to add into the mix too. the coaches have a lot of work to do, but i believe things will turn around in jax.

I like Yeldon but I am slightly worried that this bandwagon might already be getting too much momentum.
Highest I've seen him go was 1.05 which I can understand if the team could really use rb help. Im a huge fan of parker so it would be a tough choice, but i could easily take him over agholar or perriman. I think yeldon would have gone top 3 last year.

I could maybe take him at 3 in my league. I do need Rb help. I do have Shoelace. Rb are a premium in our league. Trying to trade down but we have draft in Aug. I have ample time. Not panicking.

I could maybe take him at 3 in my league. I do need Rb help. I do have Shoelace. Rb are a premium in our league. Trying to trade down but we have draft in Aug. I have ample time. Not panicking.
Unless that's a mandatory start-3 RB league, I think that would be an enormous mistake. And I do own Yeldon in one league, though I'm not particularly high on him.

We start 2 and a 3 as a flex. Forsett is my only starter as of now. My wrs are solid. Hoping Gordon or Gurleywill fall to me

Last edited by a moderator:

Bortles

Yeldon Robinson

Robinson Lee Hurns

Thomas

agreed.

if bortles can become just an average to decent nfl starter their offense could be good. rashad greene as a slot guy to add into the mix too. the coaches have a lot of work to do, but i believe things will turn around in jax.
It comes down to their o-line which was a major part of the problem in the running and passing game last season.

I pick 1.10 and pick 1.08 is on the clock in my 12 team ppr. My mocks have 8 and 9 being either Agholor or Parker (vice-versa). That will leave me a choice between Yeldon or Abdullah or Perriman or DBG. Frankly, I am already stacked at both WR and RB but think you can never have enough 3-down backs. My WR's are AJ Green, Demaryius Thomas, Antonio Brown, Stedman Bailiey, Davante Adams, Josh Gordon, Justin Hunter. My RB's are Jamaal Charles, Arian Foster, LeVeon Bell, Charles Sims, T-Rich, Jonathan Stewart, Devonta Freeman, and B. Powell. If for some odd reason Agholor falls, I am taking him. Otherwise, I think 1.10 is Yeldon for me.

Bortles

Yeldon Robinson

Robinson Lee Hurns

Thomas

agreed.

It comes down to their o-line which was a major part of the problem in the running and passing game last season.
their next project. they already are working on making that defense Seattle south, much like Atlanta is trying to do. they should be a team that at least can compete in that division in the next few years.

Rotoworld:

T.J. Yeldon - RB - Jaguars

Coach Gus Bradley said there's a "stronger commitment to the run game" at Jaguars' OTAs.

Jacksonville put too much on Blake Bortles' plate as a rookie and realized he has a long way to go in his development. The best way to offset that is to become run-heavy, and that's what the Jaguars are expected to do after adding RB T.J. Yeldon, G/C A.J. Cann, C Stefen Wisniewski, and RT Jermey Parnell, in addition to bringing back blocking TE Marcedes Lewis. Yeldon has RB2 upside.

Source: jaguars.com

May 27 - 8:35 AM

Rotoworld:

The Jaguars official website confirms T.J. Yeldon is "expected to be the starter as a rookie."

Even the team's in-house writers are handing the job to Yeldon, who will be backed up by Denard Robinson and Toby Gerhart. The second-round pick is impressing early in the offseason program. "He looks really good in short-area change of direction," MLB Paul Posluszny said. "He looks really, really good there. It’s, ‘How does a guy move in space? How athletic is he?’ That’s what stands out. With him, he definitely has it." Yeldon's upside is capped a bit by the Jags' bottom-barrel offense, but he's going to see enough volume to be a RB2.

Source: jaguars.com
Jun 2 - 8:40 AM

Rotoworld:

Jaguars OC Greg Olson reiterated that rookie T.J. Yeldon has a realistic chance to be an "every-down" back as a rookie.

"Alabama runs a Pro-Style offense and we were able to see him do things protection-wise and route running-wise and blocking that will translate to this level of football," Olson explained. "[Playing every down] would be asking a lot of any player. I wouldn’t put it past him. He’s another real self-starter and hard worker." The Florida Times Union guesses Toby Gerhart will siphon some third-down work, but Yeldon is on track to be a true feature back in Jacksonville.

Source: Florida Times Union
Jun 3 - 1:02 AM

T.J. Yeldon, James Sample, A.J. Cann could start for Jacksonville JaguarsExcerpt:

Why T.J. Yeldon could start: The Jaguars drafted Yeldon in the second round and he has three-down capabilities, though at first the Jaguars may limit him to just first and second down. He's a big (6-foot-1, 226 pounds), physical runner who also has a good burst to the edge and is a good receiver out of the backfield. The Jaguars are switching to more of a gap/inside zone running scheme, which is a perfect fit for Yeldon, who rushed for 3,332 yards and 37 touchdowns in three seasons at Alabama. It appears the Jaguars are going to use Denard Robinson, last season's leading rusher, as a kick returner and more of a change-of-pace back. Toby Gerhart, who was limited to 326 yards rushing because of injuries in 2014, will be used some as an H-back but also as a tailback. The three will all get work but Yeldon's power through the hole and ability to make second-level defenders miss should give him the edge.

Any concerns that there doesn't seem to be as much praise from beat reporters as you typically see for early round skill position players this time of year?

Any concerns that there doesn't seem to be as much praise from beat reporters as you typically see for early round skill position players this time of year?
None here. I think Yeldon has a tremendous opportunity and the skill set to go with it to be a legit #1 rb.

Fluff or no fluff, shouldn't really change your opinion on a rookie if you liked them to begin with. It's the dumb part of the year for fantasy that even reading tea leaves is sometimes counter-productive.

Its Jacksonville ... the beat reporters haven't had a target to heap praise on for awhile. They probably forgot how to do it.

Rotoworld:

Jaguars running backs coach Kelly Skipper said the "impressive thing" about T.J. Yeldon is that he "picked up the offense quickly."

Running back is the easiest position for a rookie to learn, especially for one coming out of Alabama's pro-style NFL factory. It's still encouraging to hear a coach talk up a rookie's knowledge of the playbook. Yeldon is going to start Week 1 and will secure a majority of three-down work with a solid camp. Denard Robinson and Toby Gerhart have been moved to the background.

Jul 21 - 8:20 AM

I can't wait to see how this shakes out in fantasy. Across several league drafts, I saw and heard a lot of people anguishing over that group of players that included Yeldon, Agholor, Perriman, Dorsett, and a guy here or there and it seems like somewhere in that half a dozen picks or so outside the top 6, this is where the separation of winners and losers in the draft are going to shake out.

I own Yeldon in a league. I passed on him in another. My gut says Jax won't be good enough to make him a consistently reliable fantasy option. There will be good efforts, I'm sure, and he will look good doing it but I think there will also be those 14/52 type of clunkers that will hurt fantasy teams because the perception is to rely on him as a RB2 and, who knows, you may end up with a RB1. But the reality will probably be you get that here or there but have a lot of days where he is a rb3, at best.

I can't wait to see how this shakes out in fantasy. Across several league drafts, I saw and heard a lot of people anguishing over that group of players that included Yeldon, Agholor, Perriman, Dorsett, and a guy here or there and it seems like somewhere in that half a dozen picks or so outside the top 6, this is where the separation of winners and losers in the draft are going to shake out.

I own Yeldon in a league. I passed on him in another. My gut says Jax won't be good enough to make him a consistently reliable fantasy option. There will be good efforts, I'm sure, and he will look good doing it but I think there will also be those 14/52 type of clunkers that will hurt fantasy teams because the perception is to rely on him as a RB2 and, who knows, you may end up with a RB1. But the reality will probably be you get that here or there but have a lot of days where he is a rb3, at best.
so much of a RBs value is based on game script and playing with the lead/in close games. Teams that get blown out or can't sustain drives are going to have more inconsistent results. The one saving grace is if he's going to be their 3 down back and catch the ball from the backfield.

so much of a RBs value is based on game script and playing with the lead/in close games. Teams that get blown out or can't sustain drives are going to have more inconsistent results. The one saving grace is if he's going to be their 3 down back and catch the ball from the backfield.
While he certainly COULD be their 3 down back...last I heard was Robinson is still very much in the picture on 3rd downs. Gerhart is a very good receiver too. Still very possible this is a rotational type of thing especially if the Jags struggle again as expected.

As a Jags fan, I was torn in a recent draft I just completed. I had the 1.04 pick and was willing to take Yeldon there. However, Gurley fell to me. I still tried to talk myself out of taking Gurley and go for the homer pick since everything I've heard about Yeldon has been positive. But I just can't trust the Jags to be competitive and also, NOT use a full blown RBBC.

My gut tells me to rank Yeldon a smidge below Abdullah. While I was contemplating taking Yeldon at 1.04, I was also looking into Abdullah pretty aggressively. And to be honest, I think Abdullah has less competition...especially if Bell isn't 100% healthy. And I think Abdullah can be golden in that Detroit offense.

Shutout said:

All RB2's have a lot of days where they are Rb3's, at best.

I love how rotoworld thinks just because he has a shot at volume, he is a RB2....everyone conveniently forgets that if he is not productive, they will either bench him or go full blown RBBC and reduce the # of rushing attempts....all normal things that happen to bad teams. Last year Gerhart was supposed to be a lock at RB2 just because he had no competition.....how did that turn out? Opportunity is a good thing but the fact that he is not proven is where the risk is

I love how rotoworld thinks just because he has a shot at volume, he is a RB2....everyone conveniently forgets that if he is not productive, they will either bench him or go full blown RBBC and reduce the # of rushing attempts....all normal things that happen to bad teams. Last year Gerhart was supposed to be a lock at RB2 just because he had no competition.....how did that turn out? Opportunity is a good thing but the fact that he is not proven is where the risk is
"Supposed to be" and "lock" are vast exaggerations here. Gerhart's ADP was in the 5th round last year, whereas supposed "lock" RB2's like Alfred Morris had an ADP at the end of the 2nd/early 3rd round.

Like Gerhart, Yeldon has the opportunity to be a solid RBs, and enough opportunity to even exceed that if he's actually a good player. Obviously he still has to take hold of that volume opportunity, but getting that opportunity in the first place gives him a nice head start.

It's not like people are talking about taking him over Eddie Lacy. The guys coming in just behind Yeldon in redraft ADP are guys like Ellington, Coleman, and Crowell who not only have their own questions about talent, but have far more questions about opportunity as well.

"Supposed to be" and "lock" are vast exaggerations here. Gerhart's ADP was in the 5th round last year, whereas supposed "lock" RB2's like Alfred Morris had an ADP at the end of the 2nd/early 3rd round.

Like Gerhart, Yeldon has the opportunity to be a solid RBs, and enough opportunity to even exceed that if he's actually a good player. Obviously he still has to take hold of that volume opportunity, but getting that opportunity in the first place gives him a nice head start.

It's not like people are talking about taking him over Eddie Lacy. The guys coming in just behind Yeldon in redraft ADP are guys like Ellington, Coleman, and Crowell who not only have their own questions about talent, but have far more questions about opportunity as well.
yep, saying Yeldon is a RB2 isn't saying much. Most of the guys in that 15-25 range are all wildcards, Yeldons odds are as good or better than most of them.

15 RB Frank Gore, IND

16 RB Mark Ingram, NO

17 RB Melvin Gordon, SD

18 RB Carlos Hyde,

19 RB Jonathan Stewart, CAR

20 RB Todd Gurley, STL

21 RB T.J. Yeldon, JAX

22 RB Latavius Murray, OAK

23 RB Andre Ellington, ARI

24 RB C.J. Spiller, NO
blue_info_icon.png

25 RB Giovani Bernard, CIN

Shutout said:

All RB2's have a lot of days where they are Rb3's, at best.
Sure they do. All players have an off day. But it is easy to get my point. He's going to be drafted high enough to indicate people are expecting more and I consider him a risk due to the abilities of the Jaguars. That is all.

Warpig said:
Banger said:
Shutout said:

While he certainly COULD be their 3 down back...last I heard was Robinson is still very much in the picture on 3rd downs. Gerhart is a very good receiver too. Still very possible this is a rotational type of thing especially if the Jags struggle again as expected.

As a Jags fan, I was torn in a recent draft I just completed. I had the 1.04 pick and was willing to take Yeldon there. However, Gurley fell to me. I still tried to talk myself out of taking Gurley and go for the homer pick since everything I've heard about Yeldon has been positive. But I just can't trust the Jags to be competitive and also, NOT use a full blown RBBC.

My gut tells me to rank Yeldon a smidge below Abdullah. While I was contemplating taking Yeldon at 1.04, I was also looking into Abdullah pretty aggressively. And to be honest, I think Abdullah has less competition...especially if Bell isn't 100% healthy. And I think Abdullah can be golden in that Detroit offense.
I think one of the other things we see a lot and don't put much thought into is, to a degree, all rookies coming into the league that are expected to play early always get the kind of buzz we are hearing. We really haven't heard (and haven't seen anything yet). We hear that RBs are "capable of being a 3 down back". We hear that Wrs are "lining up all over the formations". We hear that Qbs "are making all the throws". Its just what teams do and say to kick the tires on players and see what they might actually be able to contribute but it doesn't always translate.

I don't see the great reason for concern. Robinson proved very valuable when he took over the main RB duties in Jax last year. Does Yeldon have top 5 or top 10 potential in Jax? Probably not. Still, there is enough ability and opportunity to like him at his price IMO.

I just don't see how Jacksonville would stay the same stagnant offense as last year. They're a young, up and coming team. They have a young and talented QB (who should improve), a solid receiving core, and a revamped (though still somewhat questionable) OL, and Yeldon. Joeckel should only get better and they brought in Parnell to fill the void that was the RT last season... he was more than capable for Dallas when Free when down last year. Coupled with the defense that was pretty solid last season, I can see them being much more competitive and able this season to stay in games.

I find it funny that people expect teams to be the same as they were in the season before or in the past. The NFL is fluid and ever-changing. Bad teams don't stay bad forever. It takes some longer than others to get out of the mud but they usual do. Caldwell is an intelligent GM. He's been building a solid core for this team and they can only get better.

I've said all I have to say on Yeldon. I love the situation and love his talent. I'm excited to see what this season brings, but even more excited for the future. In dynasty I'm all over him. Redraft, I'll take him late, but certainly not reaching.

Rotoworld:

T.J. Yeldon - RB - Jaguars

Jaguars coach Gus Bradley doesn’t expect pass protection to be an issue for rookie T.J. Yeldon.

Yeldon is locked into early-down work, and has potential to start the year as a thee-down back. "He’s got really good instincts," Bradley said. "He’s got some work to do on protections, but it’s not [a problem of] picking it up in the classroom. He’s very sharp. Just needs reps on it." Yeldon is more advanced in pass protection than most rookies coming from Alabama's pro-style offense. He's been pass blocking since he was a true freshman.

Aug 1 - 5:09 PM

I just don't see how Jacksonville would stay the same stagnant offense as last year. They're a young, up and coming team. They have a young and talented QB (who should improve), a solid receiving core, and a revamped (though still somewhat questionable) OL, and Yeldon. Joeckel should only get better and they brought in Parnell to fill the void that was the RT last season... he was more than capable for Dallas when Free when down last year. Coupled with the defense that was pretty solid last season, I can see them being much more competitive and able this season to stay in games.

I find it funny that people expect teams to be the same as they were in the season before or in the past. The NFL is fluid and ever-changing. Bad teams don't stay bad forever. It takes some longer than others to get out of the mud but they usual do. Caldwell is an intelligent GM. He's been building a solid core for this team and they can only get better.

I've said all I have to say on Yeldon. I love the situation and love his talent. I'm excited to see what this season brings, but even more excited for the future. In dynasty I'm all over him. Redraft, I'll take him late, but certainly not reaching.
:goodposting:

:goodposting:
Different isn't necessarily better. Greg Olson is the new Jags offensive coordinator.

Rotoworld:

T.J. Yeldon has "looked comfortable in pass protection" at Jaguars camp.

"It went pretty good," Yeldon said. "We've still got to get our technique down better and we'll be good." Yeldon has plenty of experience in pass-pro from his days in Alabama's pro-style offense and has drawn praise from coach Gus Bradley on multiple occasions. Being able to protect the quarterback and pick up the blitz will go far for Yeldon's chances at playing all three downs right out of the gate.

Aug 7 - 10:00 AM

Even as a Yeldon owner, I just don't see it. Yes, the NFL is a fluid and ever-changing league but there are certain teams that are well-known to have not had any fluid for a decade and JAX is just one of those teams. Picking at the top of the draft each and every year doesn't guarantee anything and young, talented players don't always work out. You listed about 6-7 "should happens" and we rarely see every star line up, even for good teams.

Yes the Jags can change but the other 31 teams are changing too and when you are the Jags and Brown and Rams and Raiders, etc, you can make waves, but there are differences between making waves and becoming the fantasy friendly supporting teams we are used to. For Yeldon to be what some people are saying, the Jags will have to be good enough to dictate games, consistently, week in and week out and I just don't think they are there yet. Just one guy's opinion.

I want to see some reports that he looks good running the ball. While being a great blocker will keep him on the field for more downs, it doesn't really matter if he can't run it. He's a player I'm really looking forward to seeing in games. FWIW, the fans who are in training camp seem to think he is clearly the best RB on the team.

Lol wat! Bortles seriously might be the worst QB in the NFL. So bad.

Users who are viewing this thread