What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

U of Tennessee WR Justin Hunter (1 Viewer)

Hunter could be this years Josh Gordon. More likely it would be Patterson.
Three post in a row mentioning Gordon and I agree it's more likely Patterson. Hunter's consistency worries me and Locker is some cause for concern as well.

Hunter could be a key to my season if he makes a leap but I'm uneasy. Likely hangover from rostering Britt so many times.

Hunter could be this years Josh Gordon. More likely it would be Patterson.
Patterson is my WR4, Hopkins my 5 and Hunter is WR6. But when I decided to buy a Gordon lottery ticket I chose to cut the higher floor guy (DeAndre) and kept the guy with the higher ceiling (Justin).

I just think Hunter's name got hot at the wrong time. It's been a few weeks since he had his big game and since then the depth chart has him listed as WR3 (I think) and so people are quick to cut him for the next hot name while in reality, nothing has changed with his situation.

What do you guys think for Sunday? How is the KC secondary?
I think you should focus a little less on the secondary and more on the pass rush here. KC has a formidable front seven and will likely give Locker trouble at home. I'm not positive he'll actually have the time to take full advantage of Hunter in this game. We also have no idea how many snaps Hunter is going to play this week. In conjunction, these two factors have me shying away from him. I really think we should take a wait and see approach here, as I think his floor is pretty damn low this week.

EDIT: If he sees a healthy amount of snaps this week I think he'll be an auto flex vs. DAL next week.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the early hype guys like Hunter and LGreen that are now available before they even start the season. Gotta love the button clickers!

I think you should focus a little less on the secondary and more on the pass rush here. KC has a formidable front seven and will likely give Locker trouble at home. I'm not positive he'll actually have the time to take full advantage of Hunter in this game. We also have no idea how many snaps Hunter is going to play this week. In conjunction, these two factors have me shying away from him. I really think we should take a wait and see approach here, as I think his floor is pretty damn low this week.

EDIT: If he sees a healthy amount of snaps this week I think he'll be an auto flex vs. DAL next week.
I warned people a week or so ago not to read into their depth chart on the team website, but oh so many have.

There is no reason (from Whisenhunt or the Titans staff) to think that anything whatsoever has changed.

Whisenhunt got on him and had him wear a "Just another guy" jersey and then gave him more time in the preseason game to show what he can do-like prove it. Hunter responded with 4 catches for 111 yards and 2 TDs that game.

Hunter had a meh arrogant typical hyped rookie attitude that was somewhat of an issue last summer. This summer they saw a hint of that returning and then the above happened...they have kept his ego in check, he has responded beautifully.

All this negativity over one single chart on a website that in fact has mistakes on it.

Maybe just maybe this was one last chance to keep his ego in check. How about reading into it that way?

Unless Gordon's suspension gets reduced and somehow my waiver pickup pans out, this past week's NO NEWS on Hunter has been the greatest easiest boost for my FF team and I need to email all these writers a big gigantic thank you for this. I traded twice for him-gave up a 2nd round pick in next year's draft and my 3rd TE in the other.

Nate Washington all the way baby!! Really? I swear some people sorely failed to think this through

I warned people a week or so ago not to read into their depth chart on the team website, but oh so many have.There is no reason (from Whisenhunt or the Titans staff) to think that anything whatsoever has changed.

Whisenhunt got on him and had him wear a "Just another guy" jersey and then gave him more time in the preseason game to show what he can do-like prove it. Hunter responded with 4 catches for 111 yards and 2 TDs that game.

Hunter had a meh arrogant typical hyped rookie attitude that was somewhat of an issue last summer. This summer they saw a hint of that returning and then the above happened...they have kept his ego in check, he has responded beautifully.

All this negativity over one single chart on a website that in fact has mistakes on it.

Maybe just maybe this was one last chance to keep his ego in check. How about reading into it that way?

Unless Gordon's suspension gets reduced and somehow my waiver pickup pans out, this past week's NO NEWS on Hunter has been the greatest easiest boost for my FF team and I need to email all these writers a big gigantic thank you for this. I traded twice for him-gave up a 2nd round pick in next year's draft and my 3rd TE in the other.

Nate Washington all the way baby!! Really? I swear some people sorely failed to think this through
I agree that hunter will have a significant role today and beyond but nate Washington also isn't going away, dude. He's a good wr and locker likes him.

At the end of the day though the only real potential obstacle capping hunters value is locker. If locker develops into a solid qb this season hunter will ascend.

I've got him loaded in my wr3 spot for today over wright, Wheaton, quick, and m. Lee

A little nervous about it but love the potential.

Great point. My counter would be that the Titans are supposed to have one of the better offensive lines so they might be able to give Locker time.

Rotoworld:

Justin Hunter - WR - Titans

Justin Hunter caught 2-of-6 targets for 26 yards in Tennessee's Week 2 loss to the Cowboys.
Ticketed for a breakout performance, Hunter laid an egg as Jake Locker struggled. Hunter was actually inches closer to a much-bigger day, but got tripped up on a potential 54-yard touchdown in the third quarter, and couldn't quite pull down what would have been a six-yard score four plays later. He also failed to corral a wobbling, but catchable, deep ball in the first half. We still think it's a matter of when, not if, Hunter goes off, but it won't be smooth sailing in Week 3, as the Titans must venture to Cincinnati.

Sep 14 - 4:35 PM

Rotoworld:

Justin Hunter - WR - Titans

Justin Hunter caught 2-of-6 targets for 26 yards in Tennessee's Week 2 loss to the Cowboys.
Ticketed for a breakout performance, Hunter laid an egg as Jake Locker struggled. Hunter was actually inches closer to a much-bigger day, but got tripped up on a potential 54-yard touchdown in the third quarter, and couldn't quite pull down what would have been a six-yard score four plays later. He also failed to corral a wobbling, but catchable, deep ball in the first half. We still think it's a matter of when, not if, Hunter goes off, but it won't be smooth sailing in Week 3, as the Titans must venture to Cincinnati.

Sep 14 - 4:35 PM
That is good info there. He is still a hold then.

What a piece of crap. 2 catches for 26 yards against the worst defense in the league. Lineup killer this week. Not starting him except for byes from now on.

I'm starting to feel like I might want to free up a roster spot by dropping this guy.
Deep breaths. Don't do anything rash. I didn't see the game but from what I read he wS inches away from a great fantasy day
Is he going to develop into anything consistent? Or is he going to be one of those guys that kills your lineup anytime you start him but has a few occasional big games while on your bench? I'm starting to feel like it's the latter.

If you watched today's game, then you know the problem is Locker's inaccuracy. Got to be one of the worst starting QB's in the league.

Rotoworld:

Justin Hunter played on 41-of-49 snaps in Sunday's loss to the Cowboys.

Snaps were not the issue for Hunter as he burned owners with a 2-26-0 line on six targets. He was right there with Nate Washington (46 snaps) and Kendall Wright (42). With Hunter's usage not a real concern at this point, the breakout game we've been expecting will be coming soon. He remains a strong hold and boom-or-bust WR3 type heading into a Week 3 game at Cincy.

Related: Nate Washington, Kendall Wright

Source: Jim Wyatt on Twitter

Sep 15 - 9:47 AM

What a piece of crap. 2 catches for 26 yards against the worst defense in the league. Lineup killer this week. Not starting him except for byes from now on.
Dallas does have a decent secondary, its the front 7 that's crappy until McClain started playing super star football

Everything is there now, he's even comfortable somehow through the little experience of last year.

There's never been an easier "sit tight" guy in FF than Hunter

There's no way you can pickup a WR with his upside on the ww

No one predicted Whisenhunt would confuse Delanie for Antonio Gates, so why react as such? Do you think this will continue?

After the first half, Whisenhunt had good reason to bench Locker. He didn't, but I gotta figure that hook is nearby.

All that talk about the fade to Hunter is/was unstoppable in preseason had me excited. The Titans got there and didn't run it once to him.

He's the short man on my roster, and lots of WW pickups this week means he can lay eggs on somebody else's bench. Avoid all Titans IMHO. Maybe Wright in PPR but that's it?

Without knowing your roster and league size, etc, I'd still hold Hunter if possible. Clearly the snaps and targets are there. Cutting him now might be too early IMO. Locker will get better and get the timing down with Hunter.

Without knowing your roster and league size, etc, I'd still hold Hunter if possible. Clearly the snaps and targets are there. Cutting him now might be too early IMO. Locker will get better and get the timing down with Hunter.
"he's still a hold" = catchphrase of the delusional.

Bri said:
Everything is there now, he's even comfortable somehow through the little experience of last year.

There's never been an easier "sit tight" guy in FF than Hunter

No one predicted Whisenhunt would confuse Delanie for Antonio Gates, so why react as such? Do you think this will continue?

After the first half, Whisenhunt had good reason to bench Locker. He didn't, but I gotta figure that hook is nearby.
Sounds eerily similar to:

There's never been an easier "sit tight" guy in FF than Stephen Hill

If you watched today's game, then you know the problem is Locker's inaccuracy. Got to be one of the worst starting QB's in the league.
He's always been inconsistent. People overrate him coming off his great games and underrate him coming off his terrible ones.

Per PFF, Hunter has 14 targets compared to 12 each for Wright and Washington. He has just 5 catches, a 36% catch rate, but only 2 drops. His depth per target is 17.1 yards, as compared to 10.8 yards for Washington and a whoppingly-bad 4.1 yards for Wright.

In short, based on those numbers, Hunter gets target downfield by a quarterback that we know to be very inaccurate.

If Locker is so bad, what is the point of holding this guy in redraft? Maybe he hits big one week and you can trade him?
Fair enough point. If Hunter caught one long pass, he looks a little better and we might feel a little better about the hold.

I suppose it depends on the league.

I wasn't a fan of his last year and totally am this year.

Wright didn't get a target in the second half and I'd bench Locker for that alone-he is almost always open. He threw too often to Wright and took no risks last year. I think after the horrid first half, he was terrified of his career being over and went to Walker and Hunter because he probably heard tons of this during the offseason/preseason and because Walker was having the game of his life. He was out of bounds, but he made an outstanding TD catch and truly did do a Gates imitation catching balls with defenders draped on him. I only recall one pass to Washington in the second half. He's a reasonably quick veteran that is useful and usually some part of the offense too. It wasn't a normal game at all.

He hasn't grasped this offense and that has to be very concerning. McCluster is supposed to be playing some WR. He plays some RB and gets some speedy 7-8 yard runs. The D doesn't adjust so he gets a couple more til they do. The bomb to Hunter seems to follow and you see this hint of the long N short game each week, but that's it. McCluster, Nate, and Wright should be killing teams underneath and one of them turns up field on occasion. Hunter is too big too fast and getting attention, but Locker doesn't do a thing to react.

Mettenberger has a gun. He's gonna fire all over the field. Whitehurst plays the coach's pet role well and does whatever the O needs(if not well, he tries). Either QB would be fine by me for FF, although I prefer Mettenberger.

It feels like Sankey barely plays, I'm obsessed with the WRs now but I haven't noticed him enough. There should be enough attention to the passing game that he gets some runs in too.

The Titans don't usually have weapons on offense. This is new. "We" had it with CJ and Britt for a year or so, but even then it was predictable, maybe I mean options. Locker is not using them and Whisenhunt looks more like Schottenheimer than some creative offensive mind. It's gotta irritate him.

Thanks for the reply Bri

For me, as far as Hunter is concerned, this has the feel of a guy who is going to have a season of 3 for 63, 2 for 26, 5 for 70, then he'll hit a big one 7 for 120 and 2 TD's and he'll be the waiver wire grab and everyone will be talking about how he arrived, then he'll be 4 for 45, 3 for 57, 4 for 60 and a TD etc... I don't really know Tennessee well so I'm just basing this on my gut having seen these type of things in fantasy football before. I hate that kind of player in fantasy because you have to have a crystal ball to predict when those 2 or 3 big games will be. In short bench redraft leagues I can't hold those kind of players or I will not win my league. The guy killed me this week against Dallas which was supposed to be a dream matchup. I have to figure out if Hunter is going to be one of those guys this season that you can't predict or if as the season goes along he will develop into something consistent that I can feel comfortable starting when needed.

I have a couple waiver claims in for Jones in exchange for Hunter. I would like to hold but with a short bench, I don't have any one else to drop.

Hunter is still my 3rd flex in a 14-team league with a deep starting lineup (3 flexes along with 1 RB, 2 WR and 1 TE) and long TD bonuses, and I am gonna stick with him. I do have other options (G. Jennings or J. Rodgers), but Hunter is getting plenty of targets; he just needs one of them to go right to hit the big one.

Per PFF, Hunter has 14 targets compared to 12 each for Wright and Washington. He has just 5 catches, a 36% catch rate, but only 2 drops. His depth per target is 17.1 yards, as compared to 10.8 yards for Washington and a whoppingly-bad 4.1 yards for Wright.

In short, based on those numbers, Hunter gets target downfield by a quarterback that we know to be very inaccurate.
Only 2 drops? That's 14% drop rate.

Alshon Jeffery 2013

First 2 games

5-42

1-11
I'm dropping him. Cutler is not throwing the ball in Tenn
McCown was throwing the ball when Alshon was producing last year too

The targets are there, the threat of Delanie is now there, TE production opens up WR3/ slot/ deep threat opportunities

If your team NEEDS J. Hunter to produce now, then you drafted a bad team

Alshon Jeffery 2013

First 2 games

5-42

1-11
I'm dropping him. Cutler is not throwing the ball in Tenn
McCown was throwing the ball when Alshon was producing last year too

The targets are there, the threat of Delanie is now there, TE production opens up WR3/ slot/ deep threat opportunities

If your team NEEDS J. Hunter to produce now, then you drafted a bad team
Have not started him yet and I think he will have some big weeks. The problem is that I do not know when those weeks are going to be and two of my redrafts are 16 man roster limits.

If Locker/Hunter couldn't breakout against DAL then all hope is lost. I just don't see him being this year's Alshon. Ain't happenin'.

Users who are viewing this thread