What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

U of Tennessee WR Justin Hunter (1 Viewer)

Personally, I don't see Mariota hitting the field right away. So for Hunter, I am more interested in if he's developed any chemistry with Mett. He dropped some easy balls last year and like many of you, I am holding on to him in dynasty, but he needs to do something this year.
via cstu, Mariota thread:

Whisenhunt from the press conference:

- Reiterated for the third time to the same reporter that the plan is for Mariota to start week 1
Wow. Did not see that. Listening to pat kirwan, jim mills, and others on nfl radio are saying he has not run a pro offense and the right move is to sit him a year.

If Mariota plays I don't see how that helps hunter if the qb is learning the offense.
I think Mariota is a fantastic prospect and I think he can transition to the NFL and become a top 10 guy. It's not like he's only been working single reads at Oregon. A big chunk of the offense is quick hitting and less demanding on the QB, and the offense creates wide open receivers so he hasn't had to throw with a lot of anticipation, but he has been going through his third and fourth reads on some plays and with his spacial memory I think he's a great learner. But not all NFL offenses are created the same...

Steve Sarkisian went on a great rant about this on the Rich Eisen show a few weeks ago. NEP, SEA, GBP, all these teams are in the shotgun 75% of the time but then draft prospects come to the NFL combine and are put under center for three hours straight. Then they go to the pro day and try to prove that they are "NFL QBs" with Mariota working the huddle even though he hasn't done that a single time at Oregon. If you draft Mariota and put him under center with two tight ends you're not using him for what he is developed to be. QBs are now developing in the gun since 7th-8th grade and NFL OCs need to adapt and play to the strengths of how QBs are developed through high school and college. And it's not like there is anything wrong with primarily working out of the gun, look at Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers. Why do we still believe that an NFL ready QB is someone that drops back from center and runs a traditional offense? There are many NFL offenses and offensive coordinators that would fit Mariota perfectly and he can transition quickly to the NFL game, but I don't think Whisenhunt is that guy.

Obviously Mariota has things to work on and it is a huge transition to the NFL game regardless of what type of college offense you come from, but you can either play to his strengths or you can try to force him to be someone that he's never been developed to be. Personally I don't see the fit with Whisenhunt at all. Whiz is known for traditional offenses with huge playbooks which will be an enormous change for Mariota if they don't fit the offense to who Mariota is as of today. They've said that they'll introduce spread elements but I don't know. It feels like they weren't really interested and didn't see Mariota as a great fit for them, but then they didn't get the offer they wanted to trade down and basically settled for Mariota.

And yes, they've come out and said that Mariota is the starter, which seems like a stupid thing to do even if they've decided internally that they want to start Mariota week 1. Why put that type of pressure on him before he has even received the playbook? I'm cheering for him but to me he fell into one of the worst situations he could end up in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

Justin Hunter expects to battle second-round WR Dorial Green-Beckham for a starting job.

Kendall Wright is locked into one job and Harry Douglas is lurking as a No. 3/slot candidate. If Green-Beckham has his head on straight, he shouldn't have any problem pushing Hunter into a sub-package role. Despite sizable playmaking talent, Hunter was one of the worst receivers in the league last year as he averaged just 1.32 yards per route run -- 46th of 52 qualifiers in PFF's metric.

Related: Dorial Green-Beckham

Source: Nashville Tennessean
May 7 - 11:34 AM

And it's not like there is anything wrong with primarily working out of the gun, look at Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers. Why do we still believe that an NFL ready QB is someone that drops back from center and runs a traditional offense? There are many NFL offenses and offensive coordinators that would fit Mariota perfectly and he can transition quickly to the NFL game, but I don't think Whisenhunt is that guy.
Rivers took a total of 50 snaps under center when Whisenhunt was the OC.

If he ran the offense for Rivers like that, why wouldn't he do the same? Rivers by the way completed nearly 70% of his passes and threw 31 TD's to 11 INT's in that offense.

“He’s another big guy like me, but he has more size on him,” Hunter said, via the Tennessean. “Competition is going to bring out the best in us. Everybody is going to fight for a position, and when the season comes, it will be a good thing. … I don’t feel like it [creates more pressure]. It will just make me work a little harder … We’re probably going to be playing the same position. So he’s going to be fighting for a spot, and that will get the best out of both of us.”

Rotoworld:

Justin Hunter expects to battle second-round WR Dorial Green-Beckham for a starting job.

Kendall Wright is locked into one job and Harry Douglas is lurking as a No. 3/slot candidate. If Green-Beckham has his head on straight, he shouldn't have any problem pushing Hunter into a sub-package role. Despite sizable playmaking talent, Hunter was one of the worst receivers in the league last year as he averaged just 1.32 yards per route run -- 46th of 52 qualifiers in PFF's metric.

Related: Dorial Green-Beckham

May 7 - 11:34 AM
Can I say told ya so in three threads just from this one...

And it's not like there is anything wrong with primarily working out of the gun, look at Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers. Why do we still believe that an NFL ready QB is someone that drops back from center and runs a traditional offense? There are many NFL offenses and offensive coordinators that would fit Mariota perfectly and he can transition quickly to the NFL game, but I don't think Whisenhunt is that guy.
Rivers took a total of 50 snaps under center when Whisenhunt was the OC.

If he ran the offense for Rivers like that, why wouldn't he do the same? Rivers by the way completed nearly 70% of his passes and threw 31 TD's to 11 INT's in that offense.
Wrong thread man, but sure he absolutely could. It wouldn't hurt to get the cement footed Mett a few yards back to start either; could be good for all.

Vick ran from the gun but IMO the best NFL runners are a little hidden to the D behind the line and take the snap from center. It seems easier to see from the shotgun.

As I said before, the TE is a big part of the spread, it's not just where the QB snaps it.

Without a good RT still, I'm hopeful they can start a new trend and snap it to a left-of-center position rather than directly behind

I actually think Hunter has become a decent buy low.

Hunter's currently being ranked in the 60s among WRs, and that's consistent with his April ADP (which will likely fall even further once the post-draft info starts being released).

People seem to be glossing over the short-term (struggles vs press, likely struggles with playbook, etc.) and long-term (off the field red-flags) bust risk of DGB.

Hunter is likely going to have opportunity this year and improved QB play, and I'd say there's a reasonable chance (~35%) that he does something significant with it. I'd rather own him than guys like Kenny Stills, Blackmon, Cruz, and Harvin (for example) that he is consistently ranked and drafted behind.

I'd also take him over any WR drafted after Lockett in the 2015 draft (includes guys like Coates and Strong who are also generally ranked higher and drafted before him).

Rotoworld:

According to charting done by Football Outsiders, both Kendall Wright and Justin Hunter finished in the top-12 wide receivers who saw the highest rates of "uncatchable" targets in 2014.

Football Outsiders charted 27 of Hunter's 67 targets as uncatchable, good for a whopping 40.3-percent clip that "led" all wide receivers. Wright runs routes closer to the line of scrimmage -- more high-percentage stuff -- yet still saw 30 uncatchable balls among 93 targets (32.3 percent). Hunter is in danger of losing his starting job to rookie Dorial Green-Beckham, but Wright could take a decent-sized PPR leap if Marcus Mariota is more efficient than Tennessee's 2014 motley crew of Jake Locker, Charlie Whitehurst, and Zach Mettenberger.

Source: Football Outsiders
May 9 - 9:08 AM

I think people who own Hunter are still remembering the last years big expectations and won't sell cheap.

I have tried to buy few times and still have gotten only bad trade offers back. Don't know what this guys real value is,

is he a player or is he just another guy?

I think people who own Hunter are still remembering the last years big expectations and won't sell cheap.

I have tried to buy few times and still have gotten only bad trade offers back. Don't know what this guys real value is,

is he a player or is he just another guy?
What have you been offering for him? A year ago one could easily get 1st round rookie pick value for him from the right buyer and this offseason I've been getting these offers:

Blount

Asiata + Chris Johnson

mid 3rd

De'Anthony Thomas

DJ Swearinger

Dee Ford + Sam Barrington

Allen Hurns

Chris Polk

Greg Jennings

And to clarify...this isn't one offer with all these players. These are 9 different proposals I've received in my leagues from seven different owners. I'm willing to sell low, but buyers out there seem to expect to get him for free. Personally I wouldn't sell for less than an early/mid 2nd round rookie pick in non-IDP and late 2nd in IDP. At lower prices than that I'd rather just keep my money on Hunter's potential upside. That 3rd or 4th round guy is going to be a player with just as much risk and a longer road to playing time so what would be the incentive to sell?

Keep in mind that owners that have Hunter today generally didn't acquire him by chance (unless they've taken over an orphan)...they would either have been fans of him as a draft prospect, caught notice of him when he started flashing in 2013 or they got caught up in the hype last offseason. More likely than not they have an opinion of him that was and is higher than the average person.

Bri said:
This below two stats make me think of a couple things.

"On the plus side, he averages a strong 18.5 yards per reception. Seven of his 46 pro catches have gone for touchdowns. On the minus side, he too often disappears. He's had either zero or one catch in 14 of his 26 NFL games."

I guess it depends on efficiency, and some metrics show he doesn't convert a lot of attempts, but not sure what the percentage of catchable balls have been? If they could be more efficient, and get him the ball something like 65-70 X per season, maybe he puts up 10 TDs? I have to think if they have a more talented and competent QB, they can get the ball in his hands more often than the 0-1 receptions he has had in more than half his career games. That speaks partly to coaching and QB play.

They have a great blocking #2 TE, and drafted the top FB from the class of '15 (kind of high for a FB, too - 4th), so not sure how often they use 3 WR set, instead of 2 TE or with FB. But I'd like to see them use Hunter and DGB on the outside and Wright in the slot (Harry Douglas can also play in the slot if they want to do that, Hakeem Nicks has been a shell of his former self for several years now), that could be a way to get their three most talented WRs on the field together at the same time.

I believe in Mariota, so am partly hopeful Hunter can be more successful on that basis. Wiz seems like kind of a hard case once you are in his dog house, so he may have to do it somewhere else. We'll see if he remains the starter in 2015.

Bri said:
This below two stats make me think of a couple things.

"On the plus side, he averages a strong 18.5 yards per reception. Seven of his 46 pro catches have gone for touchdowns. On the minus side, he too often disappears. He's had either zero or one catch in 14 of his 26 NFL games."

I guess it depends on efficiency, and some metrics show he doesn't convert a lot of attempts, but not sure what the percentage of catchable balls have been? If they could be more efficient, and get him the ball something like 65-70 X per season, maybe he puts up 10 TDs? I have to think if they have a more talented and competent QB, they can get the ball in his hands more often than the 0-1 receptions he has had in more than half his career games. That speaks partly to coaching and QB play.

They have a great blocking #2 TE, and drafted the top FB from the class of '15 (kind of high for a FB, too - 4th), so not sure how often they use 3 WR set, instead of 2 TE or with FB. But I'd like to see them use Hunter and DGB on the outside and Wright in the slot (Harry Douglas can also play in the slot if they want to do that, Hakeem Nicks has been a shell of his former self for several years now), that could be a way to get their three most talented WRs on the field together at the same time.

I believe in Mariota, so am partly hopeful Hunter can be more successful on that basis. Wiz seems like kind of a hard case once you are in his dog house, so he may have to do it somewhere else. We'll see if he remains the starter in 2015.
They got another FB too, another top FB as UDFA. This FB can supposedly run and catch very well. I hated the single back sets that totally ignore the fact a FB is on the roster, but I'm curious if Whisenhunt didn't sign that FB to also be Mariota's protector. A lot has to flesh out there.

Hunter had a lot of issues last year. He has some motivational issues. He dogged it on a bunch of routes where he was the decoy and Whis let him have it. I swear he ran a few crossing routes and totally didn't expect the ball.

He and Wright did awesome against Haden. Mett had no conscience or care that it's Haden and they did well. They beat up on the opposite corner, but Haden got his too. It was an outstanding half and against arguably the best CB too. Hunter did well in a few other games but not many. He has looked great in preseason and been "the man" like they want him to be and...that cleveland game is about all we've seen.

The prior OC only sent him deep and only had Kendall run short routes. It's predictably annoying. Whisenhunt was to change that. He did some, but they rarely threw it when the WR ran the abnormal route. Whisenhunt absolutely must get that squared away. I'm quite confident Hunter was Malcolm Floyd who seems to be big and often go deep in Whisenhunt's previous O.

DGB needs a kick and he'll get one. I think he's still in "just practice" mode after sitting at OU. The others are studying and ready to roll and ...Jefferson will get him. Surely you remember Hunter being hollered at by Jefferson as a rook. That was a big non-story.

Today DGB is a clone of Hunter as a rook. They want more from him and want it now. I think he'll change quickly. The competition is surprisingly steep. They don't have to give DGB anything. Still, like I said, I think it'll change and he'll work hard.

Hunter opposite DGB would be tough to stop especially as the NFL keeps getting smaller at CB. Wright is very efficient and DGB isn't even learning that spot so he's going to have to wow them to get a chance to play opposite Hunter.

Titansonline has a video of Douglas being totally complimentary of Hunter and his improvement

Rotoworld:

Justin Hunter has bulked up to 205 pounds and wants to play at 210 this season.

Hunter played "in the 190s" last season. While getting bigger and stronger is fine and dandy, that's not Hunter's problem. He has a terrible set of hands and one of the emptiest heads. More muscle isn't going to fix that. Hunter needs to make a more concerted effort and show the want-to to be better.

Source: Jim Wyatt on Twitter
Jun 18 - 2:22 PM

Rotoworld:

Justin Hunter has bulked up to 205 pounds and wants to play at 210 this season.

Hunter played "in the 190s" last season. While getting bigger and stronger is fine and dandy, that's not Hunter's problem. He has a terrible set of hands and one of the emptiest heads. More muscle isn't going to fix that. Hunter needs to make a more concerted effort and show the want-to to be better.

Source: Jim Wyatt on Twitter
Jun 18 - 2:22 PM
that's too much, going too far roto

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GT2FXEd0tiM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlWYxPnnvl0

Titans' Hunter charged with felonious assault at bar:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13291829/justin-hunter-tennessee-titans-arrested-virginia-bar-fight

Excerpt:

Hunter's arrest could put his status with the Titans in question.

"At some point, you either get it, or you won't be in this league anymore. That's the natural order of the NFL," Titans coach Ken Whisenhunt said in May.
That quote was actually complimentary and continued on about how he's been working out, showing up n all

might be the nail in the coffin
Arraignment is today if twitter-er, i'm not sure of, is correct.

One thing that is odd is someone got stabbed and 16 days later says it's Justin Hunter.

Gun shot wounds and stabbings force the hospital to call a policeman right away to come chat with the patient.

He's had a body guard or a big beast of a friend that isn't an NFLer with him in pics before.

He's not the trouble-maker type.

I've said since last season that Whisenhunt didn't like he and Sankey. After DGB pick I was saying will Hunter be traded before draft is over?

I thought this was well let's wait and see how the guy we put two years into performs before we give up on him and he's done very well- every cliche of offseason work, he's done.

That misused quote was about him doing well and Whis agreeing and saying that; it was more "he finally gets it" than insulting as it's used now. If I'm not mistaken that's the same discussion where he later on said Hunter was picking things up and that made them able to put him in the slot and the F position like additional duties for him.

He and DGB have barely practiced together in team setting. DGB needs to practice and stop with the hammy stuff and then play for the first time in 2 years. Rook is not going to just show up week one and produce. Even the other Beckham had to practice before Coughlin let him roll.

DGB has a past. If this is true, if this is bogus, he is following Britt's arrests and work ethic issues, and Hunter's concentration issues and then arrest. Like it or not, he's going to have it harder than most and be watched more carefully. It's debatable whether he, Britt, or Hunter was a better prospect. They're getting well drilled in how to handle hot shot WRs. If he shoots his mouth off, watch that JAG jersey come out. There's a point it's not on the team but on the player but 3rd high quality prospect WR starts to shift the blame toward the team some.

Now the stabbing is with his fists...it's definitely weird or unusual how this is coming out and playing out

Rotoworld:

Police say the alleged victim in the Justin Hunter felonious assault case sustained "serious, but not life-threatening" injuries.

Hunter was charged with stabbing, cutting, malicious intent and wounding as well as the felonious assault charge after a brawl inside the Sandbar Raw Bar. The victim was admitted to the hospital with broken bones. Hunter will be arraigned later Tuesday and will likely be placed on the Commissioner's Exempt list until the case is resolved. The Titans could also choose to simply move on from a player that flopped badly on the field last season.

Source: 247 Sports
Jul 21 - 10:14 AM

Now the stabbing is with his fists...it's definitely weird or unusual how this is coming out and playing out
At least we know Hunter's hands are effective at something :loco:

Not sure how you get felony assault with a weapon when his fists are the supposed weapon

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm curious as a hunter owner... Where are we seeing that it is his fists and not a knife? I'd like that to be true but I haven't seen that other than on this shark pool topic... Link please?

socrates said:
GoodLloydHaveMercy said:
I'm curious as a hunter owner... Where are we seeing that it is his fists and not a knife? I'd like that to be true but I haven't seen that other than on this shark pool topic... Link please?
"Ian Rapoport@RapSheet 2h2 hours ago
Per Va. Beach PD, Justin Hunter’s “weapon” was his fists. He was charged with felonious assault."
So he's Wolverine?
That or Freddie Kruger, it would seem

Today I'm guessing a deal is worked out and this "goes away."

What I've found googling, the NFL supports a team suspension and doesn't impose their own. Goodell has said he'd be harder on players and his whole shpeal, so maybe that changes, but everything I found googling the team suspended the player-not the NFL.

In CBA, it's confusing to me. I see 1-4 weeks and paychecks but not 1-4 games. After I was unsure I read that right, there is some history of players missing TC and not games so I think I got that right.

I suppose next is for the Titans to suspend him or force the league to by not doing a thing.

Who misreported it as a stabbing could be something for lawyers to chew on. The lateness between this happening and reporting it will be too. A big fight but no witnesses as of yet and no one else charged. The ADA is not setup well here.

25k bond makes me wonder if Hunter doesn't just give this guy 25k plus medical bills to make it go away.

Rotoworld:

Justin Hunter is eligible to be released from jail on $25,000 bond in Virginia Beach, Va.

Hunter was arraigned on Tuesday and is expected to be released from jail this afternoon. Under terms of his release, Hunter has an 11 PM - 5 AM curfew and isn't allowed to consume alcohol. His felonious assault charge is punishable by 5-20 years in prison and a $100,000 fine. Hunter will likely plea down at some point during his legal process. A preliminary hearing is set for September 3.

Jul 21 - 4:29 PM

Rotoworld:

The Titans expect Justin Hunter to participate when training camp opens next week despite his recent arrest for felony assault.

The Titans' plan is to "let the legal process play out," and for Hunter to practice. The approach is likely in the best interests of both Hunter and the team. Although Hunter has been a disappointment on the field through two NFL seasons, he has no prior history of causing problems off of it.

Source: Ed Werder on Twitter
Jul 21 - 9:49 PM

If you had to throw a number out there of the number of current and former NFL players that have been involved in a bar fight, what number would you guess?

Rotoworld:

The prosecution says Justin Hunter "sucker-punched" his victim after the bar brawl had settled down.

Hunter allegedly started the July 3 fight by punching the man in the face twice. After the man was bent over and spitting out blood on the sidewalk, Hunter then allegedly "sucker-punched" him again before leaving. The man suffered a broken jaw and a cracked tooth. Hunter was released from jail on $25,000 bond on Tuesday and has a preliminary hearing scheduled for Sept. 3. The Titans plan to let him participate in training camp as the legal process runs its course.

Jul 23 - 9:19 AM

Rotoworld:

The prosecution says Justin Hunter "sucker-punched" his victim after the bar brawl had settled down.

Hunter allegedly started the July 3 fight by punching the man in the face twice. After the man was bent over and spitting out blood on the sidewalk, Hunter then allegedly "sucker-punched" him again before leaving. The man suffered a broken jaw and a cracked tooth. Hunter was released from jail on $25,000 bond on Tuesday and has a preliminary hearing scheduled for Sept. 3. The Titans plan to let him participate in training camp as the legal process runs its course.

How do they know that it was Hunter punch that broke his jaw and cracked his tooth?

Rotoworld:

How do they know that it was Hunter punch that broke his jaw and cracked his tooth?
Some say there's a video camera outside that caught this and that's why he was the only one arrested. A deleted tweet says the outside punch was while walking and hit him in the side.

The initial report was they argued and then he punched him in the face.

On another board there's people saying there's no way it was Hunter that broke the jaw. Guy code amidst a fight is to look for next guy standing, fight him. If Hunter's initial punches broke this guy's jaw and tooth, he'd be hunched over and no one else would hit him but supposedly others did. Their thinking is someone "clocked him" and he went outside.

The victim is getting a ton of flack and you'll notice his name is no longer in all these articles.

I think people have poked so many holes in this a plea or settlement is extremely likely.

I think Hunter is a good play for FF.

He was mister perfect this offseason and praised for doing things right and finally getting it.

He totally messed up with the bar fight incident but I don't imagine him suspended long. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a 2 week suspension where he missed the final preseason game and starts week one. His court date is amidst that time period.
Again, history suggests the NFL goes along with the team's suspension when there's a fight and it's usually time and paychecks not games like other suspensions.

The fight and not wanting negative attention probably has the hotshot put his head down and just work and that's what everyone wanted anyway with that JAG shirt. I'm still thinking this could be his year he breaks out.

I took him with the last pick in two recent drafts and I think he's an excellent last pick guy for FF.

Rotoworld:

The NFL confirms it is "reviewing" Justin Hunter's assault case.
As it does every off-the-field issue. "That is the extent of what we can say at this point," said spokesman Greg Aiello. "I can’t speculate on outcomes." Hunter was charged with felony assault for allegedly breaking a man's jaw on July 3. The Titans will let him participate in camp in the interim.

Source: Profootballtalk on NBCSports.com
Jul 27 - 1:55 PM

@PaulKuharskyNFL: Asked Hunter, Did you sucker punch a guy: 'Got to talk to my attorney.' What's his name? 'Attorney.' #Titans

Users who are viewing this thread