Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

U of Tennessee WR Justin Hunter

• Replies 974
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I hate when I go to a thread looking for insight, and inside I find two monkeys flinging crap at each other. Great job guys.

The only thing I'm cutting is Rotoworld.

There is an art in not peppering the board with countless instances of self-quotes stating the equivalent of, RBs are awesome, YAY!!!!!!!!!!

@PaulKuharskyNFL: Asked Hunter, Did you sucker punch a guy: 'Got to talk to my attorney.' What's his name? 'Attorney.' #Titans

That's pretty impressive actually.

Seriously, what are the odds of an attorney being named Attorney?

• Like 2

I suppose it's not "proper" to fight still even though the other is the aggressor but...assuming his lawyer is truthful(quite an assumption of a lawyer, yep) that makes this guy a real jerk for starting a fight then suing when he loses

I suppose it's not "proper" to fight still even though the other is the aggressor but...assuming his lawyer is truthful(quite an assumption of a lawyer, yep) that makes this guy a real jerk for starting a fight then suing when he loses

I think the argument is that the guy started the fight because he knew who Hunter was and was looking for a quick payday. He might get it too.

I think the argument is that the guy started the fight because he knew who Hunter was and was looking for a quick payday. He might get it too.

Yeah could be that too.

The punishment should be light now IMO. He needs some, fighting isn't OK, but this is now very cloudy and you've got the whole boys will be boys premise.

Bennett missed a week. (If I'm reading old articles correctly, it was TC and they went 8 days then 6 for some reason) He had fought with a teammate and the root cause was he was being lazy in camp, players wanted coaches to get on him and eventually that boiled over into a fight. Hunter has been mister perfect this offseason (other than this) showing up for everything and not really doing a thing to get Whisenhunt's ire. He matured seems to be the common sentiment.

His court date is just before the last game of preseason. My guess is they suspend him for that game and get a better opportunity to look at the young guys and that'll be it.

Somewhere in here is a common feeling amongst everyone(since they all have wealth) that they're glad this didn't happen to them and probably want the jerks of the world to know they can't stir this junk up. For example Lewan has a mean streak and plays like a fighter at times. They probably worry if this jerk gets a bunch of $ and Hunter a big suspension, that the same will happen to them. Remember a few months back, some college kid was a weisenheimer trying real hard to push Manziel's buttons. I think things like this are more concerning to NFL players and coaches(former players) than the public realizes.

Day 7 Training Camp Observations

http://www.titansonline.com/news/article-4/Day-7-Training-Camp-Observations/b08e55dc-1fa7-407a-aaed-26a508f25324

Excerpt:

Great catch: Receiver Justin Hunter continues to catch the ball well, and in traffic. Hunter had the catch of the day – and maybe of camp – on Friday when he spun around and made a one-handed grab with his left hand on a ball thrown by Mariota. Hunter is bigger, and should be sturdier across the middle. What I’ve been most impressed with is his ability to catch the ball with his hands, before the ball gets to his body. Hunters’s made a number of catches in camp above his head when he’s squeezed the football and kept defenders from knocking it away. He’s had an occasional drop, but he’s been pretty consistent.

“A lot of times, new receivers come into the league with the physical tools, but the mentality hasn’t caught up,” Jefferson said. “We’re seeing his mental catch up to his physical skills now. He’s making some plays. It’s like now he expects to make them, when before he was unsure. He goes to the line now like, ‘Give me this rock.’ And that’s what you want to see.”

Unfortunately it's because he wants to hit someone with it.

“A lot of times, new receivers come into the league with the physical tools, but the mentality hasn’t caught up,” Jefferson said. “We’re seeing his mental catch up to his physical skills now. He’s making some plays. It’s like now he expects to make them, when before he was unsure. He goes to the line now like, ‘Give me this rock.’ And that’s what you want to see.”

Unfortunately it's because he wants to hit someone with it.

smh....haters gonna hate

No, just a joke.

Rotoworld:

Coach Ken Whisnehunt said Justin Hunter is "trending up" at Titans practices and wants to see him carry it over into games.

Reports out of Titans camp have been glowing about Hunter since his July arrest hit the news. Hunter played 26 snaps in Tennessee's preseason opener over the weekend, running alongside Dorial Green-Beckham with the second-team offense behind veterans Kendall Wright, Hakeem Nicks, and Harry Douglas. He's always looked good in practice, but as we all saw last season, it never translated to the real games. Hunter is merely a late-round flier at this point.

Source: Terry McCormick on Twitter

Rotoworld:

Justin Hunter - WR - Titans

Justin Hunter's preliminary hearing for a felony assault charge has been moved to September 1.

The hearing was originally set for September 3, which is the date of the Titans' preseason finale. The charge stems from a July 3 brawl at a Virginia Beach bar in which Hunter was allegedly involved. The Titans have said they plan to "let the legal process play out." Hunter is participating in training camp.

Source: Nashville Tennessean

Aug 20 - 9:58 AM

Rotoworld:

Justin Hunter - WR - Titans

Justin Hunter's preliminary hearing for a felony assault charge has been moved to September 1.

The hearing was originally set for September 3, which is the date of the Titans' preseason finale. The charge stems from a July 3 brawl at a Virginia Beach bar in which Hunter was allegedly involved. The Titans have said they plan to "let the legal process play out." Hunter is participating in training camp.

Source: Nashville Tennessean

Aug 20 - 9:58 AM

This is the first time his lawyer asks for dismissal too

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Rotoworld:

Titans WR Justin Hunter is expected to play in Thursday's preseason finale.

It's confirmation that he's nowhere near the first-team offense. Hunter's roster spot doesn't appear to be in danger, but he's not going to be a factor in the Titans' offense any time soon.

Sep 1 - 2:19 PM

Rotoworld:

Titans WR Justin Hunter is expected to play in Thursday's preseason finale.

It's confirmation that he's nowhere near the first-team offense. Hunter's roster spot doesn't appear to be in danger, but he's not going to be a factor in the Titans' offense any time soon.

Sep 1 - 2:19 PM

Today ALL the starters are expected to play, Mariota may not. They asked the coach to after last game's bad performance. Whis has yet to say if he'll let them

This guy worth hanging onto in dynasty? I need a roster spot for a kicker before the season starts, and he is among a very small handful of guys who I am considering dropping (Brandon Coleman, Charles Clay). He is currently the leader in the clubhouse, but its a tough call...hes definitely shown flashes.

This guy worth hanging onto in dynasty? I need a roster spot for a kicker before the season starts, and he is among a very small handful of guys who I am considering dropping (Brandon Coleman, Charles Clay). He is currently the leader in the clubhouse, but its a tough call...hes definitely shown flashes.

I would not drop either of those guys for Justin Hunter. He is basically the 5th WR option on TN at this point. Brandon Coleman has been running with first team offense on the Saints above Marquise Colston, is 6'6" and could be a Redzone monster. Charles Clay signed a 2 year $24.5 million contract with the Bills in an offense that gets a lot out of their TE's with Greg Roman's offense, in other words they didn't sign him to not have him involved.

• Like 1

“I think sometimes you have to be careful about what you base on preseason production,” Whisenhunt said. “There have been a lot of guys that have led the league in preseason production and not played, so I think you base part of it on what you see in the games, and how that translates from what he’s been doing on the football field.

“He’s had a really good camp. I’ve been impressed with what I’ve seen from him in the games, and obviously, we’d like to see that continue.”

The goal for Hunter, Whisenhunt said, is similar to what it was last year: Translate his potential into quality play during the regular season.

“Well, I think we’ve been pretty clear about Justin (Hunter), and what he has to do and that really, where it’s going to show up is in the games and establishing consistency,” Whisenhunt said. “I’ve been very impressed with what he’s done in camp and his body of work to date and we’re all optimistic that that will continue.”

Ok Whis, please explain why the guy was playing (mostly) with second stringers all preseason.

He's in his third year . . .

no he wasn't

did he ever play with the first team? From the snaps I saw, he didn't . . . thought it was mostly Douglas and Wright.

But I respect your knowledge on the Titans situation, so I will yield to you.

Ok Whis, please explain why the guy was playing (mostly) with second stringers all preseason.

He's in his third year . . .

no he wasn't

did he ever play with the first team? From the snaps I saw, he didn't . . . thought it was mostly Douglas and Wright.

But I respect your knowledge on the Titans situation, so I will yield to you.

All of the WRs(that you would assume make the team) played with Mariota

I would not drop either of those guys for Justin Hunter. He is basically the 5th WR option on TN at this point. Brandon Coleman has been running with first team offense on the Saints above Marquise Colston, is 6'6" and could be a Redzone monster. Charles Clay signed a 2 year $24.5 million contract with the Bills in an offense that gets a lot out of their TE's with Greg Roman's offense, in other words they didn't sign him to not have him involved.

Is he really running with the 1s (Coleman)? Everything I've read suggests otherwise. I'd like to find a nice late round stash WR and Coleman would fit the bill if he's indeed running above Colston. The only mention of that I see is him playing with the 1's in a preseason game. Nothing about playing above Colston, though I'd assume all 3 of the WRs could be on the field at same time a lot.

Is he really running with the 1s (Coleman)? Everything I've read suggests otherwise. I'd like to find a nice late round stash WR and Coleman would fit the bill if he's indeed running above Colston. The only mention of that I see is him playing with the 1's in a preseason game. Nothing about playing above Colston, though I'd assume all 3 of the WRs could be on the field at same time a lot.

Coleman is the fave to be #3 WR and with a few days left, seems likely

AP-VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. -- Tennessee Titans wide receiver Justin Hunter's trial on misdemeanor charges arising from a July bar brawl has been pushed back to Sept. 15 so defense attorneys can try to produce a key witness.

Hunter attorney Toby Vick says the witness is the person who really punched a man outside a bar in Hunter's hometown on July 3, not Hunter, as prosecutors contend.

The witness had been subpoenaed to show up to court on Tuesday as Hunter's trial on assault and battery was set to begin. The charge stems from a brawl that began inside a bar in the oceanfront tourist district of Virginia Beach. The fight led to a man's jaw being broken.

Prosecutors have previously said the brawl began after Hunter interrupted a conversation a man was having with someone else at the bar that night. After an exchange of words, Hunter punched the man in the face twice, according to prosecutors' statements in July. After a melee ensued and the bar was cleared, prosecutors contended the man Hunter originally punched was bent over and spitting blood on the sidewalk outside when Hunter "sucker punched" him again before leaving.

The man had to be taken to a hospital for treatment.

On Tuesday, Hunter's attorneys said the no-show witness had told a detective that it was he who punched the man outside of the bar. Hunter's attorneys said they subpoenaed the man and that they expected he would invoke his Fifth Amendment at trial so as not to incriminate himself if he was to appear at court. Hunter's attorneys had been seeking permission to allow the witnesses' past statements to be admissible in court even without him there.

Prosecutor Wendy Alexander said the witness lives in the same neighborhood as Hunter's mother and suggested he is being offered up as a "fall guy" to take the blame for the victim's most serious injuries stemming from the fight. Before ruling whether previous statements by the witness could be admissible, Alexander suggested the court delay the trial to make sure he wasn't just stuck in traffic or sick.

• 2 weeks later...

Rotoworld:

Justin Hunter has been found not guilty of assault and battery charges related to a July 3 bar brawl.

It's possible he'll avoid league discipline, but that's far from a given when it comes to the long arm of commissioner Roger Goodell. Hunter played 34-of-59 snaps in Sunday's opener, but was targeted only twice by Marcus Mariota. It's hard to see his path to WR4 status.

Source: Adam Vingan on Twitter

Sep 15 - 2:17 PM

Rotoworld:

Justin Hunter has been found not guilty of assault and battery charges related to a July 3 bar brawl.It's possible he'll avoid league discipline, but that's far from a given when it comes to the long arm of commissioner Roger Goodell. Hunter played 34-of-59 snaps in Sunday's opener, but was targeted only twice by Marcus Mariota. It's hard to see his path to WR4 status.

Is Roger Badell even in charge of discipline these days? Everything he touches makes the league look bad and I thought the owners had finally grown tired of it and wanted him to stand in the corner for awhile and think about it.

Rotoworld:

Justin Hunter has been found not guilty of assault and battery charges related to a July 3 bar brawl.

It's possible he'll avoid league discipline, but that's far from a given when it comes to the long arm of commissioner Roger Goodell. Hunter played 34-of-59 snaps in Sunday's opener, but was targeted only twice by Marcus Mariota. It's hard to see his path to WR4 status.

Actually 3 targets - Bucs committed pass interference on a pass in the end zone. Led to Sankey's rushing TD.

Something about this guy makes me not want to give up on him even though he hasn't shown much. The performance of Mariota makes me even less inclined to give up.

In the exact same boat. Could really use the roster spot, but I am so scared to cut him and then watch the light go on for him...on someone else's roster. Has shown big time flashes of major talent. Finally a legit QB in town. I think you have to hold.

Rotoworld:

Justin Hunter has been found not guilty of assault and battery charges related to a July 3 bar brawl.It's possible he'll avoid league discipline, but that's far from a given when it comes to the long arm of commissioner Roger Goodell. Hunter played 34-of-59 snaps in Sunday's opener, but was targeted only twice by Marcus Mariota. It's hard to see his path to WR4 status.

Is Roger Badell even in charge of discipline these days? Everything he touches makes the league look bad and I thought the owners had finally grown tired of it and wanted him to stand in the corner for awhile and think about it.

I don't see any reason to discipline him. There's more of a need to stand behind him as players get accused and crimes then become sensationalized. I think stuff like this makes players gravitate toward him.

He turned himself in, answered every cop Q, got a lawyer after that, was forward with the team.

If you go back and look at it, this accuser needs to be worried about getting sued. This went from nothing, to people on fb telling the guy he should press charges 10 days later, to a stabbing, to a fight inside, to a cheap shot outside, to getting courts to withhold his name, same friends discuss him lying on fb, trial comes and he's proven to be "full of it" with him being the instigator and Hunter being innocent.

Our judicial system is badly twisted when these people start fights with someone that has money, solely to profit from the fight.

The NFL really would put itself in a bad spot here if they weren't in Justin's corner or just staying out of it. It's fairly common like the hookup that predetermined she wanted to get pregnant from a star athlete. There's something creepy something familiar to their players here

Something about this guy makes me not want to give up on him even though he hasn't shown much. The performance of Mariota makes me even less inclined to give up.

In the exact same boat. Could really use the roster spot, but I am so scared to cut him and then watch the light go on for him...on someone else's roster. Has shown big time flashes of major talent. Finally a legit QB in town. I think you have to hold.

Can't.

DGB not getting in much even when they're up a zillion points oh so curiously does not bode well for him. That makes Hunter the guy in the tall WR spot. He had more snaps than the others.

You're stuck with the 16 attempts. That's just not good for FF.

I really don't see how you could rationalize cutting him and not at least waiting another week. There's gotta be more than 16 attempts this week for you to make a better judgement. He may stink, we all know that, ya just sort of have to see it first before you bail IMO

Can't.

DGB not getting in much even when they're up a zillion points oh so curiously does not bode well for him. That makes Hunter the guy in the tall WR spot. He had more snaps than the others.

You're stuck with the 16 attempts. That's just not good for FF.

I really don't see how you could rationalize cutting him and not at least waiting another week. There's gotta be more than 16 attempts this week for you to make a better judgement. He may stink, we all know that, ya just sort of have to see it first before you bail IMO

Right. And they didn't need to take many shots downfield. But what if a team takes away those underneath routes and short crossing patterns that Wright runs so well? Hunter is the deep threat and I think Mariota is capable of getting him the ball. It just wasn't the game plan nor was it needed in week 1.

I keep getting the Kenny Britt feeling about Hunter. Not so much as a reflection on Hunter's character or skill set, but as another guy who has tantalizing flashes of ability but never seems to flash them with any useful consistency.

I don't think he's even shown flashes on the level of Britt.

He's the next guy off my roster (22 spots, 12 teams). He's only staying on this week because there's nothing that helps me on the WW.

• 6 months later...
4 minutes ago, Poncho said:

wasted 1st round pick. Some teams are just destined to make bad picks, browns and titans are up on that list.....

I think he was a second round pick and I really can't blame the Titans at the time. Not a strong draft and in terms of height, speed, jumps he was in a Julio/Calvin/Green class but in Hunters case I think he's an athlete playing football, not a football player.

6 hours ago, buck naked said:

A 23 page, 4 year old thread is useless, just like Hunter.

It's not a bad chronology of his career with the high expectation and then limited results