What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

U of Tennessee WR Justin Hunter (2 Viewers)

I expect a big improvement for Hunter without Whisenhunt. If that means the Titans or another team, I'm riding this train.

I was listening to Arif Hasan's podcast with Matt Harmon where they were discussion Mike Wallace last season. According to Harmon's charting of WR getting open Mike Wallace was one of the worst starting WR in 2015 by this metric. One of the few WR worse than him at getting open was Justin Hunter. 

Justin Hunter has added six pounds of muscle, bulking up from 203 to 209.
Hunter has reportedly "changed his diet." Hunter is clearly feeling the crunch of the roster bubble. Hunter is still recovering from ankle surgery, but is expected to be ready for training camp.

Source: Terry McCormick on Twitter 
May 26 - 2:30 PM

Titans coach Mike Mularkey is "challenging" fourth-year WR Justin Hunter to "be more aggressive."
Hunter's on-field passivity and lack of a "my-ball" mentality have arguably been his biggest NFL deficiencies. "To get up at the line and look at the guy across from him and tell him: ‘You can’t cover me,'" Mularkey said. "He just needs more confidence in his body language, and everything about him. He has so much talent, he just has to believe he has the talent." Hunter could lose his roster spot if he doesn't have a big training camp.

Source: titansonline.com
Jun 1 - 9:04 PM

The difficulty with Hunter is he is regularly the best wide receiver in camp. Asking them to cut the best one in camp seems too much but then again there have been "practice players" that do well only in practice and get cut. He's a bit of an issue even for his detractors.

Mularkey has stated a few times that the WRs have to improve. (This was obvious) The presser today as OTAs wrapped up was yet another time he was displeased with DGB in the sense that he wants him to put it all together. Trying to push his growth some and have him fast n comfy all the time. Hunter is about believing in himself. He even sat down and chatted with him about it before practice.

Hunter has confidence issues due to Whisenhunt. Coming in overconfident, Jefferson 'broke him' some turning him into a more workman professional type which is normal for rooks, but Whis doing that JAG thing was ridiculous. He had behaved and improved a ton under Jefferson. It was uncalled for. Then to have him run a zillion deep routes as a decoy and when he "dogs it" on the zillionth route in the fourth Q- to call him out on that...cmon. 

Supposedly Hunter had a great practice today and responded "great."

What Mularkey tells the press, what really happened...who knows but I am going to guess it truly was more like "go back to your old self, Whis is gone. Be arrogant again, we'll deal with that."

He was asked about Matthews and Sharpe, he replied solely about Sharpe doing well. Ignored Matthews in Q. (Any number of reasons why this happened, could could could be Matthews had a bad day he didn't want to discuss)

Wyatt said Wright had a great day but if Sharpe and McBride got time with the ones that makes me wonder whom he did great against. A drill pic (not a live action pic) has him catching a pass from Tanney.

Piecing together (very much possible it's not true but...) it seems their first lineup was Hunter opposite DGB with slot changing.

Wright has played outside so long it could be common place and that's why reporters didn't mention it. I'll try and dig to get something affirmed.

This 'pushing' of the WRs was all expected with their offseason statements and coaching hires. 

The Titans kept four WRs last year, just four. 

The TALK of a single practice in shorts in early June would be that those four are Hunter, DGB, Sharpe, and McBride. I don't think this happens. Guys have good and bad days. We should though start to choke on the four wide receiver number. They're not keeping everyone.

Thanks Bri.

It would be interesting if McBride, Sharpe are playing over Wright. It's early so I don't expect that but who knows? I guess we will see.

I am kind of expecting the Titans to run the ball more. How much more will depend on the defense. That looks like the plan based on their personnel moves.

Maybe trivia but genuine Q Can you name a slot WR in a Mularkey offense that did well?

I can't.

Douglas wasn't squat til White got hurt or Jones.

I really strongly think the slot WR in the Titans offense is fool's gold right now. People buying on Sharpe now, or Wright are going to be sorely disappointed.

He had Tony G. Did he have Eric Green or is that too old? Like most NFL offensive coordinator or coaches/OCs, they script for the top TE and the slot is minimal.

TitansOnline's Jim Wyatt believes Tennessee wants to keep WR Justin Hunter.
Wyatt believes Hunter will make the final roster "if he has a good camp." That is a big if for a player with Hunter's history of inconsistencies, but it is interesting the Titans apparently remain committed to a second-round bust entering the final year of his rookie deal. Hunter likely needs to beat out Harry Douglas and sophomore Tre McBride for a roster spot. That is not a terribly tall task.

Source: titansonline.com 
Jun 18 - 12:43 PM

ESPN Titans reporter Paul Kuharsky still believes Justin Hunter is a "goner" in Tennessee.
In other words, even the Dorial Green-Beckham trade isn't going to save Hunter. The Titans would probably take anything they can get for the former second-round pick, but his trade value is nil. He's still behind Rishard Matthews, Tajae Sharpe, Kendall Wright, Andre Johnson, and Tre McBride on the depth chart. If cut, we'd expect a team to claim Hunter when he hits waivers.

Source: ESPN.com
Aug 17 - 9:25 AM

Would love to see a good team give them peanuts for Hunter... I still think he can make it.

What WR besides Mathews is worth owning there

This move certainly was not unexpected.  I had high hopes for Hunter when he came into the League, but aside from a few flashes, Hunter has been a major disappointment.  At only 25, Hunter could still turn things around with another team, but while the Titans' organization has deservedly received criticism for the lack of development of some players, Hunter failed to distinguish himself and prove he could be a consistent performer.  I will be watching with interest where Hunter lands, but I am unlikely to run to the waiver wire to sign him.

Dolphins claimed WR Justin Hunter off waivers from the Titans.
It's not a great landing spot for the former second-rounder, as he's still buried on the depth chart behind at least Jarvis Landry, Kenny Stills, and DeVante Parker. But Parker (hamstring) can't ever seem to stay healthy, and rookie Leonte Carroo is having struggles year one in the NFL. Hunter is unlikely to make much of an impact and can still be ignored in fantasy leagues.

Related: Titans

Sep 4 - 12:51 PM

The Bills are a nice landing spot for Hunter. Tyrod will run around a chuck it deep and allow his guys to make a play. This is the one thing Hunter is good at. Anybody else adding him in deep leagues? 

The Bills are a nice landing spot for Hunter. Tyrod will run around a chuck it deep and allow his guys to make a play. This is the one thing Hunter is good at. Anybody else adding him in deep leagues? 
I have been fooled by this guy in dynasty and redraft for years.  Not falling for it again. He sucks.  

Seems like a great fit. He's to have a bigger role this week, nice quotes from everyone, sounds real good. Of course he'll have to produce, but everything is there to pick him back up with some no risk roster spot.  It's not like Buffalo has great WRs in his way. 

Titans didn't always have a QB that can throw it. Mariota is still struggling with it but better this year.

He is probably the fastest tall WR in the NFL and has a huge vertical. 4.26? at his pro day IIRC

Buffalo recognizes the lob to him. Titans didn't since his rookie year. (FWIW Philly does same with DGB) Remember that ceiling touching story from the spring? That was 12 or 13 feet high and...yeah he can get up there as well as anyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I saw Hunter play live for the Titans I thought he would be a star. I'm still not sure why he couldn't be. He just looks like he's in need of the right situation and coach. Same thing with DGB. Now I don't know that the Bills' system will make him a 'star' but maybe he can become a regular starter in the NFL. 

I get the feeling the Bills like Hunter and he will see a decent number of snaps the more he picks up the offense. Goodwin just doesn't cut it as an NFL receiver, so Hunter will be given a chance to be a starter IMO.

Mularkey commented on Hunter today and apparently is still angry about the ceiling jump. Good for Hunter. He's causing enough waves that his former team is taking notice

Welcome back! He's starting today. Nice GPP flyer for your $1 entry. 

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8415/justin-hunter

Justin Hunter will be the Bills' starting receiver opposite Marquise Goodwin Sunday at Miami.
Robert Woods (foot) isn't going to play. Hunter has caught a touchdown in back-to-back weeks and played a season-high 60% of the snaps in last week's win over San Francisco. He is worth a look as a dart-throw play for fantasy owners in wide receiver binds. Oct 23 - 8:57 AM

I'm gonna roll with him in some DFS.

I liked hearing Ryan talk about him. They aren't going to make plays for him- he's not at that level- but he is a very good wide receiver...or something like that. OC was talking about his arm length and teaching him to use his body better. He mentioned getting open deep with his speed. This is on top of the lobs in the red zone. Hunter was talking about a simple offense (I don't know what that means but that's a good thing) and really seemed thankful for the opportunity. There's a whole lot of "he is what he is and we're gonna use him."

The Titans never did this. He always had to do more and 'grow.'  I remember one game...rather than use him outside where he's comfy, he's in the slot. Rather than chucking it to him deep, complain he's not running decoy routes hard enough on the 30th darn deep decoy route that game. Use a two or three TE O and make him the only WR with 'the world' ready to cover him. They made it so hard on their young WRs. 

The Bills seem to be just so accepting of what he can and can't do. 

If they don't mess up (his confidence must have been so shaky when he arrived) they could have a real nice compliment for Sammy when he returns. 

Steelers WR Justin Hunter has been making the most of his time with the starters, catching a few big throws from Ben Roethlisberger.

Hunter connected with Roethlisberger on a back shoulder play in individual work and for a touchdown in 7-on-7 goal line work. While this sounds like it could be the start of an intriguing duo, most of Hunter's work with the first team is coming due to Sammie Coates being sidelined and Martavis Bryant still on suspension.

Source: ESPN

Ben Roethlisberger expressed excitement in Justin Hunter's play at training camp.

"I don't want to get too excited too early, but I really like the presence that he brings," Roethlisberger said. Earning Big Ben's trust is a major key in Pittsburgh, and Hunter seems to be doing that a week into practices. With Martavis Bryant (suspension) and Sammie Coates (knee) not practicing, Hunter is running with the ones and making the most of it. He could take Coates' job.

Source: Jeremy Fowler on Twitter 

Aug 2 - 11:40 AM

ESPN's Jeremy Fowler reports Justin Hunter is "balling" in Steelers camp.

"No way around it," Fowler said, noting Ben Roethlisberger told Hunter to "take a bow" after a spectacular Thursday play. Big Ben offered effusive Hunter praise on Wednesday. Hunter could push Sammie Coates for the Steelers' No. 4 job, but Hunter has offered plenty of teases since being the No. 34 overall pick of the 2013 draft.

Source: Jeremy Fowler on Twitter 

Aug 3 - 4:15 PM

• Smile
Reactions: Bri
He looks fantastic.

I'm reading articles and seeing polls. He's convinced that fan base.

I know he has always been excellent in preseason. IIRC twice he was the second best WR in preseason stats. He was never THIS good though. Us Titans fans wanted him to be and hoped he'd be, but even during his best moments he wasn't like this. That pause, side to side fake, then dive to the end zone. Who is that? Extremely under control and so smooth with his toes to catch balls near the sideline. There's a block where he flattens the DB. When did he learn to do that? I can't get over it.

I am seriously battling some inner demons on Hunter. I must have watched a zillion videos at the steelers site and searching the games Only Antonio Brown looks better than him. How can that possibly be? 

Justin Hunter is awesome. Justin Hunter is great. Those are the two most laughable sentences but here I sit watching and saying holy and curses. He ain't the same. 

I'll tell ya what he looks like- he looks like what we expected when he was going to be a superstar WR on draft day. The years of development didn't go anywhere near as planned but I guarantee you will rub your eyes in disbelief if you watch some highlights.

I have said previously that he could be the Steelers deep speed guy. He has blazing speed and is tall with great ups. The Steelers have always had 'that guy' in their offense and Hunter can do that. I expected fourth or fifth WR and a few deep balls throughout the year.

I read a dobbs versus jones debate and the argument was that it's unfair that one got to play with Hunter more. Seriously? Hunter is so good that he throws tilts competition unfairly? Hunter?

Justin Hunter in the preseason with the Titans would have made them a far better team if he could produce as such in the regular season. Preseason Hunter opposite Sammy Watkins could have made Buffalo a nice passing offense. In this same vein, if he could get opportunities (due to injuries or poor play or whatnot) and play like this and get the Steelers 2 or 3 spot, geesh they'd be hard to stop. 

I know I know, boy do I know, but Hunter seriously looks like their second best WR.

Tell me someone edited every video of every snap to make him look this good.

I'm gonna go bang my head against the wall a few times and maybe go see a doctor to make sure I'm OK. 

I think I'm picking him with my last pick now. This is so bizarre

Kidding aside, what is his role in the offense with Martavis coming back? Seems that they have similar skill sets.

Ate dinner, spent some time with kids...watched some again. It's still way better than I expected

Kidding aside, what is his role in the offense with Martavis coming back? Seems that they have similar skill sets.
far down the list. Just deep guy. 

However everyone other than AB seems to be dinged or have an issue so there are plenty ahead of him, but it's not unreasonable for him to get in either. I think he'd have to do something with his few snaps. He can't let the 5th WR spot suit him. Give the biggest of efforts on the three snaps and hope for the best. If he makes a sweet catch and Martavis has 2 heading into the 4th Q, maybe he gets in again. 

Another route would be to light up their CBs as part of the group emulating the opponents in practice.

He's gotta find ways to keep making an impression in-season. He's not up the ladder yet. He only has intrigue

Same stuff tonight, I don't know who this guy is

He put his head down determined to get a first. So simple, nice job

https://twitter.com/NFL/status/903402054651019265

But is he still ridiculously fast for a big man?

https://twitter.com/360FFB/status/903414127305121792

4.3? What was he years ago? 

Here's one from a previous game

https://twitter.com/steelcityundrgr/status/901125025251692545

Since when does he have awareness and moves?

Look here

https://twitter.com/PirateLifeFF/status/897211950635069441

He has two hands! He only had one with the Titans. I don't care if it's practice, since when does he do that?

Well I'm not gonna dig like last time but I felt like I had to share some videos after my prior post. He's different, definitely

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread