What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Guitar Guys Thread -- all axes, all the time (1 Viewer)

Otis

Footballguy
I'm getting back into playing a bit after about a 15 year hiatus, and was looking for a place here in the FFA that has all of the guitar stuff. I stayed at the Westin in Memphis last week and learned you can borrow any of their Gibson custom shop guitars that they have in a display case at the front desk, with a pod amp and all. Very cool. I took a beautiful ES335 up to my room and loved it, and that prompted me to trade in an old Taylor acoustic that has been collecting dust, and with the proceeds, pick up an awesome ES 335 knock-off -- an Epiphone Dot Deluxe ($275 off Craigslist) and a Fender Blues Jr. Hot Rod Deluxe tube amp ($300 off Craigslist).

Specifically, I'm looking to get back into jazz playing and improv, and I was wondering about good online resources, apps, or books for learning this style. I guess what I want mostly is a book that sets out chord progressions for jazz standards and tells me which scales could be used over the chord progression (and which maybe explains why, so I can remind myself how to figure out what scales/modes work in what keys, etc.). But basically, I'd like to start just by learning some chord progressions and maybe some lead licks to play over them.

Somewhat related, the amp sounds great, except the reverb isn't working -- did a little research on the web and there are some awesome sites out there for modding these amps to improve the tone, fix the reverb tanks etc. (all DIY stuff, relatively cheap). Similarly, the guitar sounds AMAZING and plays beautifully, but it's pretty beat up (some goofball hipster from Brooklyn owned it, and he obviously beat on it pretty well) -- the strap peg at the bottom is just a screw, the gold hardware is all tarnished/rusted, and the controls and pots are a little loose. But it has the fundamentals, and sounds and plays beautifully, so I'd like to clean it up, upgrade the pickups, get a tech to do a professional setup, do the frets, add a bone nut, etc. The potential in these Epiphone Dots is amazing, and from what I read, with the right mods you can get them to sound every bit as good as their Gibson big brothers (and I wasn't about to drop 2 grand on one of those -- and frankly, rejuvenating this old guitar with some character is half the fun).

Any other Gibson nerds here? Any other players looking for/know of good resources for learning or teaching yourself at home? What's the easiest way for me to just record my chord progressions so I can play over them? (When I was a teenager, I had an old cassette tape and recorder in my basement -- are there "better" options out there for a setup like this today?)

Post your axes and rigs; post your info. Guitar nerds unite.

Last edited by a moderator:
71 les Paul mutant. (Serial number says it should have paf pickups but it has p90s in the original cut of the wood)

Yamaha pawn shop acoustic.

Sold my es335 years ago to move to Nashville. Sold my d410 to pay the bills.

For jazz I would do one thing: listen to a #### ton of jazz, preferably while you could play along with it. Chords and scales in jazz are easy to deduce once you have a feel for what notes are bouncing around on the track. Give it some time - you will surprise yourself.

Take it to a shop with a good reputation and have then make sure the intonation is correct. That's the first step.

71 les Paul mutant. (Serial number says it should have paf pickups but it has p90s in the original cut of the wood)Yamaha pawn shop acoustic. Sold my es335 years ago to move to Nashville. Sold my d410 to pay the bills. For jazz I would do one thing: listen to a #### ton of jazz, preferably while you could play along with it. Chords and scales in jazz are easy to deduce once you have a feel for what notes are bouncing around on the track. Give it some time - you will surprise yourself.
Wow, you have nice stuff.Yeah, I learned some jazz/blues/rock in lessons in high school and studied jazz a bit then, and I've always been a casual listener. But the best and most enjoyable way I ever learned was when my teacher came to my house, wrote out and taught me a chord progression, taught me the chords and key, and then would show me the various scales I could play over it. From there, he might teach me the melody as well. During the week, I would practice and learn the chord progression, record it, and then play the melody and solo over it. Next lesson, we would trade off playing the chords and soloing, then move onto another tune. Rinse, repeat. Just looking for a book or some other resource that will teach me that way (one HAS TO exist) so I can go through it myself at home.Actually, I was always a big fan of Santana's playing, and I think I'm going to start with Black Magic woman near the top of my list, just for fun. But I want to get into the jazz standards too.PS. Can I have your ES335?

71 les Paul mutant. (Serial number says it should have paf pickups but it has p90s in the original cut of the wood)Yamaha pawn shop acoustic. Sold my es335 years ago to move to Nashville. Sold my d410 to pay the bills. For jazz I would do one thing: listen to a #### ton of jazz, preferably while you could play along with it. Chords and scales in jazz are easy to deduce once you have a feel for what notes are bouncing around on the track. Give it some time - you will surprise yourself.
Get a Django book.Interesting you sold the ES335 and kept the LP.

Can we talk about the mouthbreather salesmen who work at Guitar Center? God that place is awful. I'll never go again.

I'm a firm Craigslist believer. You can get solid gear that's already broken in for half price. No brainer IMO.

Any thoughts on using Rocksmith for scale practice?

I'm just a hamfisted strummer, for the most part, so it's helped me get a feel for scales since I've had no formal training.

Not sure how that transfers, if at all, to the Jazz progressions you're seeking.

Can we talk about the mouthbreather salesmen who work at Guitar Center? God that place is awful. I'll never go again.I'm a firm Craigslist believer. You can get solid gear that's already broken in for half price. No brainer IMO.
Huge CL fan. Been using it since I used it to find a place in Mill Valley in 1999. Bought and sold vehicles, guitars, amps, bikes, etc. Best site on the internet.Where is this Guitar Center? You're in midtown, aren't you? Mannys or Rudys, both on 48th between 6th and 7th. If you haven't been to Rudys, it'll blow your mind. Go upstairs and get your hands on a Huss and Dalton. Or Santa Cruz. Handmade guitars made by the best in America. The vibrations and tones from these things will resonate at your core.

Mostly acoustic--5 Taylors PRS Single Cut with artist grade topBodgen Shiva Amp
Nice.I just sold my SG and Twin Reverb. I'm down to one guitar and it's my beater 310 CE. If I had chet money, I'd have a wall of Santa Cruz, Goodall, and Huss and Dalton acoustics, an ES335, and my Twin Reverb back.

Eric Johnson offered me 2100 for the lp and I turned it down. It is literally one of a kind. I had a Gibson rep look at it and run the number and even he was shuked. The p90 pickup (soap bar) goes in a smaller groove. The Gibson records say it should have pafs, which are wider.

Mostly acoustic--5 Taylors PRS Single Cut with artist grade topBodgen Shiva Amp
Nice. Had a PRS some years ago, probably the best guitar I ever owned. Beauty.Though I will say this -- of all the guitars I owned, some pretty expensive, the best playing one was the SG Epiphone I got as my first guitar when I was 14. Sounded amazing for the 300 bucks spent on it, lasted forever. That's why I was happy to spend the same amount on another Epi this time around, and I wasn't even remotely disappointed (in fact was a bit blown away).

Eric Johnson offered me 2100 for the lp and I turned it down. It is literally one of a kind. I had a Gibson rep look at it and run the number and even he was shuked. The p90 pickup (soap bar) goes in a smaller groove. The Gibson records say it should have pafs, which are wider.
Cliffs of Dover Eric Johnson?

Yes, that Eric Johnson. I had his tech do some work on the action 15 years ago. I never met him - he apparently saw it at his tech's house and played it.

I could never play an sg. Neck was always too sharp for my taste.

Yes, that Eric Johnson. I had his tech do some work on the action 15 years ago. I never met him - he apparently saw it at his tech's house and played it. I could never play an sg. Neck was always too sharp for my taste.
Holy crap. I'd probably have sold him my guitar.

Heritage Sweet 16 Archtop guitar

Ibanez Iceman natural wood finish guitar from the 80s

Fender Twin Chorus amp

Mesa Boogie Subway Rocket amp

Yes, that Eric Johnson. I had his tech do some work on the action 15 years ago. I never met him - he apparently saw it at his tech's house and played it. I could never play an sg. Neck was always too sharp for my taste.
It's a tiny neck and the balance is whacked, but I liked that guitar. Had the most fun I've had playing music with that thing playing punk mostly just in a rehearsal space in Williamsburg in the late '90s. Such a great tone.

Can we talk about the mouthbreather salesmen who work at Guitar Center? God that place is awful. I'll never go again.I'm a firm Craigslist believer. You can get solid gear that's already broken in for half price. No brainer IMO.
Huge CL fan. Been using it since I used it to find a place in Mill Valley in 1999. Bought and sold vehicles, guitars, amps, bikes, etc. Best site on the internet.Where is this Guitar Center? You're in midtown, aren't you? Mannys or Rudys, both on 48th between 6th and 7th. If you haven't been to Rudys, it'll blow your mind. Go upstairs and get your hands on a Huss and Dalton. Or Santa Cruz. Handmade guitars made by the best in America. The vibrations and tones from these things will resonate at your core.
Guitar Center on Long Island. One in Brooklyn is no better.I've been to Rudy's and Manny's, I work right near there. Cool places for sure.

In like guitar center except that all the guitars you'd ever want to play are hanging too high.

Austin has some unbelievable shops. "Hey, can I play that 55 les Paul junior". "Sure thing man".

Brought my new baby in to a local tech who seems to have a good reputation here in my area. He's going to do a full setup, cleanup, and also swap out the pickups with something way higher quality -- he's swapping in some hand wound humbuckers from Porter, which get awesome reviews online (and he swears by them). May also swap out a couple of pieces of hardware on the guitar, fix up the wiring and controls, and get it in tip-top shape. Very psyched, can't wait. But it will suck to be without it for around a week...

Playing Nick Drake songs in the proper tuning...the guy was one of a kind. Spent the last hour picking up Northern Sky and Fly and my guitar hasn't sounded this good to me in years.

Acoustic: Martin D2-R - has laminated instead of solid rosewood, so it doesn't sound as good as the solids but was way more affordable.

Electric: Japanese Fender Strat that I've had since high-school. It's the only guitar I had when I played in two crappy bands way back in the day, and it's literally been run over by a car, but it's my old mainstay.

Both of these guitars need a tune-up. How much can I expect to pay to have someone check and set the intonation?

Last year I finally threw down for my dream guitar. :wub:

With three young kids I barely get a chance to play anymore, but like Otis I'd like to pick up some theory and learn jazz progressions/licks at some point.

Acoustic: Martin D2-R - has laminated instead of solid rosewood, so it doesn't sound as good as the solids but was way more affordable.Electric: Japanese Fender Strat that I've had since high-school. It's the only guitar I had when I played in two crappy bands way back in the day, and it's literally been run over by a car, but it's my old mainstay.Both of these guitars need a tune-up. How much can I expect to pay to have someone check and set the intonation?Last year I finally threw down for my dream guitar. :wub:With three young kids I barely get a chance to play anymore, but like Otis I'd like to pick up some theory and learn jazz progressions/licks at some point.
Love the SG. Nice. They'll always have a warm place in my heart because my very first guitar was a black Epiphone SG.I recently upgraded my guitar to a Yamaha SA2200 semi hollow. This guitar is glorious. It's an ES335 but way better made, and cheaper.I also found a vintage Fender Stage Lead amp from circa 1980 and it is a beautiful thing. $125 for an amp that sounds every bit as good (on the clean channel at least, which is all I use) as a $1,000 Fender Twin Reverb.Loving my setup right now. Through a sequence of trades on Craigslist I now have a brand new Peavey XXX all tube half stack sitting in my basement. I'll never use it, but it's got a ton more value than what I started with, so I'm just waiting for the right trade to swap it for another vintage amp or another guitar.I'm still playing a bit, not as regularly as I want to. But I'm playing, and getting better for sure. Hoping in a couple weeks work will cool down and I'll have time to get into a more regular routine.

I also found a vintage Fender Stage Lead amp from circa 1980 and it is a beautiful thing. $125 for an amp that sounds every bit as good (on the clean channel at least, which is all I use) as a $1,000 Fender Twin Reverb.
That's a nice amp and you got a good deal, but you are either Lying to yourself or have never played a fender twin reverb.

Acoustic: Martin D2-R - has laminated instead of solid rosewood, so it doesn't sound as good as the solids but was way more affordable.

Electric: Japanese Fender Strat that I've had since high-school. It's the only guitar I had when I played in two crappy bands way back in the day, and it's literally been run over by a car, but it's my old mainstay.

Both of these guitars need a tune-up. How much can I expect to pay to have someone check and set the intonation?

With three young kids I barely get a chance to play anymore, but like Otis I'd like to pick up some theory and learn jazz progressions/licks at some point.
Love the SG. Nice. They'll always have a warm place in my heart because my very first guitar was a black Epiphone SG.I recently upgraded my guitar to a Yamaha SA2200 semi hollow. This guitar is glorious. It's an ES335 but way better made, and cheaper.

I also found a vintage Fender Stage Lead amp from circa 1980 and it is a beautiful thing. $125 for an amp that sounds every bit as good (on the clean channel at least, which is all I use) as a $1,000 Fender Twin Reverb.

Loving my setup right now. Through a sequence of trades on Craigslist I now have a brand new Peavey XXX all tube half stack sitting in my basement. I'll never use it, but it's got a ton more value than what I started with, so I'm just waiting for the right trade to swap it for another vintage amp or another guitar.

I'm still playing a bit, not as regularly as I want to. But I'm playing, and getting better for sure. Hoping in a couple weeks work will cool down and I'll have time to get into a more regular routine.
Dude.I just sold mine a couple months ago. Selling the SG was no problem. I think I understand that whole Sophie's Choice thing after letting that amp go.

I also have this old Marshall Studio 15 amp that I bought back in high school for about a hundred bucks. Never cared much for it but held onto it over all these years. Now I find that they're somewhat of a collector's item but I haven't been able to get my asking price on Ebay (about $700). From the research I've done it seems to be worth at least that much, but maybe not.

Love the SG. Nice. They'll always have a warm place in my heart because my very first guitar was a black Epiphone SG.I recently upgraded my guitar to a Yamaha SA2200 semi hollow. This guitar is glorious. It's an ES335 but way better made, and cheaper.

Loving my setup right now. Through a sequence of trades on Craigslist I now have a brand new Peavey XXX all tube half stack sitting in my basement. I'll never use it, but it's got a ton more value than what I started with, so I'm just waiting for the right trade to swap it for another vintage amp or another guitar.

I'm still playing a bit, not as regularly as I want to. But I'm playing, and getting better for sure. Hoping in a couple weeks work will cool down and I'll have time to get into a more regular routine.
Dude.I just sold mine a couple months ago. Selling the SG was no problem. I think I understand that whole Sophie's Choice thing after letting that amp go.
:unsure: You're not located on Long Island, are you? :unsure:

Otis -- looks like someone locally is selling your exact same Epiphone Dot guitar (?) at the price you got yours for. Is it worth checking this out?
They get great reviews, and it's a really nice guitar for the price. I would have no reservations and I'd say check it out.
A quality hollow body under 300 is a nice find. Id suggest taking an amp you know (or meeting at a guitar star so you can plug it in) because a rare, bad hollow body is awful to own.

##### move if he didn't have permission but who really know if the owner was in on it or not. If not, then that behavior deserves a punch in the face.

Guitars

1984 Fender Elite Stratocaster (vintage white)

1992 Epiphone Les Paul (cherry sunburst)

1995 Martin D-1 acoustic

2000 Taylor 25th Anniversary 414ce acoustic

2006 Gibson Les Paul Studio (vintage mahogany)

2006 Tom Anderson Guitarworks Crowdster Plus (flame maple)

2008 Tom Anderson Guitarworks Crowdster Plus (koa)

2009 Fender P Bass (natural finish)

2011 Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster HSS (amber)

2013 Fender Relic Partocaster Build (natural alder/black)

2014 Martin GS Mini acoustic (koa)

2014 Fender Roland-Ready GC-1 Stratocaster (black)

2015 Fender Standard Telecaster HH (black)

SX Callisto of unknown vintage (lake placid blue) (I got someone to throw this guitar in for free on a CL deal)

Rigs

Orange Rocker 30 Combo (my favorite piece of gear)

Blackstar HT-5 Combo

Bkackstar Fly 3 Mini Guitar Amplifier

Pedals/Effects

Line 6 Relay G70 Digital Wireless Guitar Pedal System with two Transmitter Packs

Atomic AmpliFIRE (amp modeler and effects pedal)

Line 6 HX Stomp (amp modeler and effects pedal)

Orange Bax Bangeetar (amp modeler)

Roland GR-55 Guitar Synth

Electro Harmonix Big Muff

Keeley 4-Knob Compresser

Fulltone OCD Drive

Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble

Boss CH-1 Super Chorus

Boss DS-1 Distortion

Sonicake Boom Ave. Bass Preamp DI Box Multi Effects Pedal

Countryman Active DI Box

Livewire Solutions DI Box (2)

Radial StageBug SB-5 1-channel Passive Laptop Direct Box

Boss TU-3 Chromatic Tuner

Boss TU-2 Chromatic Tuner

Korg Pitchblack Chromatic Tuner

TC Helicon VoiceTone Harmony-G XT (x2)

LR Baggs Para DI Acoustic Guitar Preamp

Behringer V-Tone Acoustic Amp Modeler DI Preamp

Boss FS-5U Footswitches (x2)

Alesis Quadraverb effects rack

Line 6 Pocket Pod Multi-Effects Processor

iRig for iPhone/iPad Amplitube App

My Son's Gear

Roland TD-11k V-Drums kit

2007 MIM Fender Stratocaster (tobacco sunburst)

Orange Crush 20LDX amp

Line 6 Spider III 15 amp

Cedar Ridge 3/4 Acoustic Guitar

Lanikai Concert Ukulele (mahogany)

Other

Bose L1 Model 1S PA System with B2 Bass Module

Bose L1 Compact PA System

Bose T1 Mixer (x2)

Yamaha DXR 10 Powered Wedge Monitor

Shure GLX Digital Wireless Vocal System with Beta 87A Wireless Microphone

Line 6 XD-V75 Digital Wireless Handheld Microphone System with Heil RC 35 Capsule (chrome)

Sennheiser EW 300 In Ear Monitor Rack Mount and Receiver System

Alien Ears G4 Custom In Ear Monitors

Shure Super 55 Microphone

Shure SM 57 Microphone

Sennheiser e835 Microphones (x3)

Roland VS-840 Digital Studio Workstation 8-track recorder

Roland R-70 Human Rhythm Composer

AKAI Professional MPK249 - USB MIDI Keyboard Controller (49-key)

Roland XP-30 64 Voice Expandable Synthesizer

Roland D-50 Linear Synthesizer

Tascam DR-07 Portable Digital Recorder

Hohner Harmonica (key of G)

Keawe's custom baritone ukulele (koa with mother of pearl inlay and binding)

Yasuda standard ukulele (koa)

Mastertone dulcimer

Didgeridoo

Bongos

Tambourine (from The Cult and autographed by Ian Astbury & Billy Duffy)

Assorted mic stands and guitar stands

:unsure: You're not located on Long Island, are you? :unsure:
Nah, and I was talking about a Twin Reverb. I've never heard anything that can touch it. My favorite tone I've ever achieved was through it and my favorite tones I've ever heard others get have been through them.

If that is as it reads, then this guy and his buddies should have beat the living #### out of Prince and his bodyguards. But I have a feeling there's more to the story.

I also am in possession of an Epiphone Les Paul Special II (cherry sunburst) with autograph and custom hand drawn artwork by Billy Gibbons. That's going up for auction at a charity event though. May end up bidding on it even though I'm the one who bought the guitar and got the signature.

##### move if he didn't have permission but who really know if the owner was in on it or not. If not, then that behavior deserves a punch in the face.
Sure doesn't sound like the owner was in on it. What a ####. And then he wouldn't even sign it? Legal action would be on the table if it were me. And I'm not a litigious guy.

Come to think of it, Prince has some rabid fans. He could probably sell it for a fortune as is and track down something similar netting a pretty significant profit. Obviously, still weak.

PS. Can I have your ES335?
GB O. If you want an ES335 and a Fender Twin, you need to just go ahead and buy them for yourself. You make plenty of money. One of the perks of giving up a career in music to get a "real job" is that you can afford to buy whatever gear you like. And it's not like you're dropping piles of cash on other hobbies like rounds of golf and new clubs, or hunting trips and new guns.

Users who are viewing this thread