What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Guitar Guys Thread -- all axes, all the time (2 Viewers)

With respect to Biggie who is a much better musician than I am, I am not sure I agree. 

I have been taking lessons since September. I'm not sure there is much that I have learned that I could not find online. Now, I do like going once a week and having something to practice. But I don't think it's a must anymore. 
It's not a must at all.  But I do think it materially improves your chances of sticking with it and developing good habits.  I know tons of people who have tried to learn guitar at some point in their lives, and the percentage of people who stuck with it and became competent players is much higher for the group that took lessons than it is for the group that tried to teach themselves.  Just my two cents.

And again, for the record, I am strictly a rhythm guitar player.  Strumming, power chords, and a few licks here and there.  I'm no expert.

Well, 2017 was an awful year.

I lost my beloved father in law, my city nearly burned to the ground, and I needed life-saving surgery and laboured through an excruciating recovery.

But...

The good news is the other day I asked myself, "Why do you keep making excuses about how you're too busy to form a band?" So I authored a Craigslist ad, posted it at 5am, and within 12 hours I have seven responses - including a gifted lead singer. I am making this happen. I wrote our first song last night - including lyrics - and we're all hooking up this Sunday to strategize. Ironic I am posting this here, because I might very well lay down my guitar and play synths in this band.

But you can sing and play, correct?  I suck at that.  I blame it on age and getting restarted late.  :)  

Power chords are great on an electric.  Green Day!   :headbang:   Not so much a fan on an acoustic.  Easy to learn a few songs right away with power chords though.  I don't think I could play a D chord well until I was 40.
Yea, in my band I’m the lead singer and that is my primary role, though I play electric or acoustic on about 90% of our tunes. I’m probably underselling it a bit as I’ve been playing guitar regularly for 33 years (and publicly on stage for about half of that time).  It’s just that I’m not a shredder - no blazing solos for me. I generally leave those to the other more talented guys. 

Well, 2017 was an awful year.

I lost my beloved father in law, my city nearly burned to the ground, and I needed life-saving surgery and laboured through an excruciating recovery.

But...

The good news is the other day I asked myself, "Why do you keep making excuses about how you're too busy to form a band?" So I authored a Craigslist ad, posted it at 5am, and within 12 hours I have seven responses - including a gifted lead singer. I am making this happen. I wrote our first song last night - including lyrics - and we're all hooking up this Sunday to strategize. Ironic I am posting this here, because I might very well lay down my guitar and play synths in this band.
This is such great news!  Can’t wait to hear how Sunday goes.

But you can sing and play, correct?  I suck at that.  I blame it on age and getting restarted late.  :)  

Power chords are great on an electric.  Green Day!   :headbang:   Not so much a fan on an acoustic.  Easy to learn a few songs right away with power chords though.  I don't think I could play a D chord well until I was 40.
You can learn to sing and play.   I didn't learn to sing and play until I was in my 40s.   Now, I only strum and sing.   I haven't touched my electric guitar in many months.    

Start with very simple strum patterns and easy songs.   You can even just play and sing along to simple, slow songs while strumming down, down, down down,....    Play/sing along with songs so you have something to follow for a bit.   Good luck.   

Welp, I haven't played for about a year or so but was getting the itch to pick it up again. Took advantage of 15% of at GC this weekend. Tried a whole bunch and ended up with this guy: https://www.martinguitar.com/guitars/junior/d-jr-2-sapele/

I had always been an electric player before but wanted something I could just pick up and strum on the couch. But damn I forgot how hard it is on the fingers at first and the heavier acoustic strings are no picnic. Need to build those callouses back up!

Murph said:
Welp, I haven't played for about a year or so but was getting the itch to pick it up again. Took advantage of 15% of at GC this weekend. Tried a whole bunch and ended up with this guy: https://www.martinguitar.com/guitars/junior/d-jr-2-sapele/

I had always been an electric player before but wanted something I could just pick up and strum on the couch. But damn I forgot how hard it is on the fingers at first and the heavier acoustic strings are no picnic. Need to build those callouses back up!
Happy New Guitar Day.

:D

Murph said:

Sweet. After 6 months of playing electric, I got the acoustic bug. Got a rogue dreadnaught that I bought on sale for 50 bucks. Every player that hears it, including my teacher can not believe that it cost 50 bucks. Maybe one day ill go with the big companies. 

Sweet. After 6 months of playing electric, I got the acoustic bug. Got a rogue dreadnaught that I bought on sale for 50 bucks. Every player that hears it, including my teacher can not believe that it cost 50 bucks. Maybe one day ill go with the big companies. 
If it sounds good, it is good. I didn't go in intending to buy a Martin. Just ended up that way.

I picked up the spruce top version of this guitar.  :shock:   I had played them in GC before and am still amazed by how good it sounds.   It's not as small as a 3/4 guitar, but the slightly smaller size does make it more comfortable to play than a full size dreadnought.  

I consider myself an inexpensive guitar aficionado.  ;)    I thought my Seagull S6 Original was the best sounding acoustic under $500.  That has now been bumped down to the best sounding acoustic under $400.  :lmao:     
Glad you like it. I didn't go in expecting to buy that guitar but after I played it the choice was clear.

The GS Mini will make 13 not counting a few that technically belong to my daughter.  I have a GAS problem.  :bag:   Almost all of them inexpensive, some damn cheap.  A few hacked up to the point that I either can't sell them or they would be worth something like $40.

About 8 of them need to go soon.
There is no such thing as too many guitars or too much gear. 

Guitars

1984 Fender Elite Stratocaster (vintage white)

1992 Epiphone Les Paul (cherry sunburst)

1995 Martin D-1 acoustic

2000 Taylor 25th Anniversary 414ce acoustic

2006 Gibson Les Paul Studio (vintage mahogany)

2009 Fender P Bass (natural finish)

2011 Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster HSS (amber)

SX Callisto of unknown vintage (lake placid blue) (I got someone to throw this guitar in for free on a CL deal)

2013 Fender Relic Partocaster Build (natural alder/black)

2014 Martin GS Mini acoustic (koa)

2015 Fender Standard Telecaster HH (black)

Rigs

Orange Rocker 30 Combo (my favorite piece of gear)

Ampeg 4x12 cabinet (1990ish vintage)

Blackstar HT-5 Combo

Pedals/Effects

Atomic AmpliFIRE (amp modeler and effects pedal)

Orange Bax Bangeetar (amp modeler and effects pedal)

Roland GR-55 Guitar Synth

Electro Harmonix Big Muff

Keeley 4-Knob Compresser

Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble

Boss CH-1 Super Chorus

Boss DS-1 Distortion

Countryman Active DI Box

Livewire Solutions DI Box (2)

Boss TU-3 Chromatic Tuner

Boss TU-2 Chromatic Tuner

Korg Pitchblack Chromatic Tuner

TC Helicon VoiceTone Harmony-G XT

LR Baggs Para DI Acoustic Guitar Preamp

Behringer V-Tone Acoustic Amp Modeler DI Preamp

Boss FS-5U Footswitches (2)

Alesis Quadraverb effects rack

Line 6 Pocket Pod Multi-Effects Processor

iRig for iPhone/iPad Amplitube App

My Son's Gear

Roland TD-11k V-Drums kit

2007 MIM Fender Stratocaster (tobacco sunburst)

Orange Crush 20LDX amp

Line 6 Spider III 15 amp

Cedar Ridge 3/4 Acoustic Guitar

Other

Bose L1 Compact PA system and Bose L1 Mixer (killer portable PA)

Yamaha DXR 10 Powered Wedge Monitor

Line 6 XD-V70 Wireless Microphone System with Heil Sound RC-35 Microphone Capsule

Sennheiser EW 300 In Ear Monitor Rack Mount and Receiver System

Sennheiser e835 microphones (2)

Roland VS-840 Digital Studio Workstation 8-track recorder

Roland R-70 Human Rhythm Composer

Roland XP-30 64 Voice Expandable Synthesizer

Roland D-50 Linear Synthesizer

Tascam DR-07 Portable Digital Recorder

Hohner Harmonica (key of G)

Keawe's custom baritone ukulele (koa with mother of pearl inlay and binding)

Yasuda standard ukulele (koa)

Mastertone dulcimer

Didgeridoo
Here’s my current gear list. It should make you feel better. 

Orange Rocker 30 Combo (my favorite piece of gear)

I've played this in the shops before. It is a great amp. 
If you can get your hands on one for a decent price, I’d suggest grabbing it. If you don’t need a big monster amp, the Rocker 30 is the best bang for the buck in the Orange line IMO. The Tiny Terror is a great deal as well. 

bigbottom said:
If you can get your hands on one for a decent price, I’d suggest grabbing it. If you don’t need a big monster amp, the Rocker 30 is the best bang for the buck in the Orange line IMO. The Tiny Terror is a great deal as well. 
Yeah. I’m just messing around at home, probably play with friends twice a year. Currently running a Marsh DSL 15 tube Head through a low grade Marshall 4/12 cab.

Muffaletta pedal, need me some reverb though. 

My son starts college in August, so I’ll probably have some disposable income available in 2023 or so.

Yeah. I’m just messing around at home, probably play with friends twice a year. Currently running a Marsh DSL 15 tube Head through a low grade Marshall 4/12 cab.

Muffaletta pedal, need me some reverb though. 

My son starts college in August, so I’ll probably have some disposable income available in 2023 or so.
Awesome. That’s a nice rig, but I stopped practicing/gigging with heads and big cabs long ago. I’m too old to be lugging that stuff around!

Hmmm. My never ending quest to simplify my rig may have just taken a huge leap forward. At our gigs, I play both acoustic and electric guitar, so I bring both in a large dual acoustic/electric gig bag. It’s nice to only have one case, but it is necessarily pretty huge. 

Well, our guitarist just bought and has let me borrow a Tom Anderson Guitarworks Crowdster Plus. It’s a custom guitar that uses bronze acoustic strings with a piezo acoustic pick-up under the bridge, as well an electric pickup at the bridge position that is specially designed to deliver incredible electric tone from bronze strings. 

I was very dubious about the idea of a combo acoustic and electric guitar until I tried it today at practice. The acoustic sounded as good as my Taylor 414, and the electric pickup through my rig sounded better than my Deluxe Strat.  And since I’m not soloing or bending strings during our performances, the thicker strings are no problem at all. 

My radio transmitter system lets me switch between my electric rig and the direct input into the PA for my acoustic, so I was able to play through the set switching between acoustic and electric pickups without ever having to change guitars.  I would have never believed it had I not heard (and played) it myself. Need to tinker with it some more, but this may end up being my primary gigging guitar. And my load gets a little lighter and my stage logistics a lot simpler.

https://www.andersonguitarworks.com/crowdster-plus/

Edit:  Damn, after a couple of days, I'm sorta falling in love with this thing.  Which means I'm probably going to have to buy it rather than "borrow" it from my buddy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm thinking about getting my 11 year old his first legit guitar for Christmas this year.  He's already got an Ibanez mikro and Epiphone Les Paul, but I want to step up in quality and playability.  What would you recommend for someone who likes to play everything from Metallica to Green day to the Beatles in the sub $400 range?

An 11-year-old with three guitars?  I wish you were my dad. You can get a Mexican Strat or Tele in this range. Does he like the Epiphone?  Since you’re suggesting it’s not a legit guitar, I’m guessing it’s one of the cheaper Specials?  If he likes the sound of the Les Paul, you could get a new Epiphone LP Standard or a used Epiphone LP Custom in that range, though the neck might be a bit big for his hands. I’ve never played the PRS SE series but I’ve heard good things and I think you could find a used one in that range. 

Agree with all BB says. My first guitar was an epiphone and it was an amazing starter. To this day was my favorite guitar. The others are good options too. 

An 11-year-old with three guitars?  I wish you were my dad. You can get a Mexican Strat or Tele in this range. Does he like the Epiphone?  Since you’re suggesting it’s not a legit guitar, I’m guessing it’s one of the cheaper Specials?  If he likes the sound of the Les Paul, you could get a new Epiphone LP Standard or a used Epiphone LP Custom in that range, though the neck might be a bit big for his hands. I’ve never played the PRS SE series but I’ve heard good things and I think you could find a used one in that range. 
:D  He's actually got five.  I neglected to mention he also has a Jackson JS1X that sits at his mom's house unused and a Fender bass he plays with on occasion.  

He likes the Epiphone (it's an LP Jr that he bought with is own money).  However, it's a cheapy $100 guitar, doesn't hold tune well, and small things are starting to break down on it.  

He's been playing my ESP LTD M10 which is a 25.5 scale board with no issues. 

The guy in guitar center said he should stick with an Ibanez although he may have been too focused on the fact that my son was playing Metallica and using the "Metal Core" pedal.  His favorite bands are Nirvana and Green Day although lately he's been learning a lot of Metallica, Rage against the Machine, and Avenged Sevenfold.  I think he needs something with a wider range of tones but is fast for these Kirk Hammett solos he's trying to master.     

Thanks for the tips.  I'll check those out.  

I’ve never played an Ibanez, so I can’t really speak to that. I’d have him take the PRS SE for a spin to see what he thinks. PRS guitars play really well and are very versatile in my opinion. Kurt played Fenders (Strats and Mustangs I believe) and Billie Jo plays Gibsons pretty much exclusively. Those guitars have very different tones and playability. If you go with a Fender, I’d be sure to get a humbucker at the bridge position so you can better emulate the double coil tones of a Gibson sound. Ideally, you can get a humbucker that has an option to be split into single and double coil (usually by a button on the volume or tone knob, or a separate button), but that may only be on option on more expensive models. 

As a general matter, I’d consider looking to buy a better guitar used than a new guitar in that price range.  Play the new ones in the store to figure out which one you want, and then price it on reverb.com, which is I think the best place to buy used gear. 

I did not know we had a guitar thread here, awesome!!  I just started playing at the beginning of the year.  Never played an instrument before in my life.  Im old (50's) but better late than never, right.

I bought a Squier Affinity Strat and it came with a cheap Fender amp.  I have sort of followed the Justinguitar course but also have been using Youtube videos, while also trying to play songs I like.  I'm awful as you might expect.  I figure if I keep at it and practice every day, I should be able to play some songs by the time I retire.  I have big plans for guitar once I reach retirement.  Not trying to be in a band or anything, just want to be able to play some songs and have fun with it.  I'm taking it slow and its been fun.

Recently purchased a Yamaha THR10C amplifier and this thing is really impressive.  It's a bedroom amp that just sounds amazing at low volumes.  Several effects on board with several different amp sims.  This little thing opens up a whole new world of sounds for me.  I love it!

I’ve never played an Ibanez, so I can’t really speak to that. I’d have him take the PRS SE for a spin to see what he thinks. PRS guitars play really well and are very versatile in my opinion. Kurt played Fenders (Strats and Mustangs I believe) and Billie Jo plays Gibsons pretty much exclusively. Those guitars have very different tones and playability. If you go with a Fender, I’d be sure to get a humbucker at the bridge position so you can better emulate the double coil tones of a Gibson sound. Ideally, you can get a humbucker that has an option to be split into single and double coil (usually by a button on the volume or tone knob, or a separate button), but that may only be on option on more expensive models. 

As a general matter, I’d consider looking to buy a better guitar used than a new guitar in that price range.  Play the new ones in the store to figure out which one you want, and then price it on reverb.com, which is I think the best place to buy used gear. 
Buying used is very good advice.  You can save a ton of money.   

My first guitar was an ibanez.  It played fast with a slim neck but the tone was only ok.  

I did not know we had a guitar thread here, awesome!!  I just started playing at the beginning of the year.  Never played an instrument before in my life.  Im old (50's) but better late than never, right.

I bought a Squier Affinity Strat and it came with a cheap Fender amp.  I have sort of followed the Justinguitar course but also have been using Youtube videos, while also trying to play songs I like.  I'm awful as you might expect.  I figure if I keep at it and practice every day, I should be able to play some songs by the time I retire.  I have big plans for guitar once I reach retirement.  Not trying to be in a band or anything, just want to be able to play some songs and have fun with it.  I'm taking it slow and its been fun.

Recently purchased a Yamaha THR10C amplifier and this thing is really impressive.  It's a bedroom amp that just sounds amazing at low volumes.  Several effects on board with several different amp sims.  This little thing opens up a whole new world of sounds for me.  I love it!
I'm 42 and have been at it for the past couple of years.  If you have an XBox, I strongly recommend getting Rocksmith.  It's like those cheesy Guitar Hero games, except you use a real guitar.  It makes learning/practicing a lot more fun.  

Agree with BB on the PRS suggestion. They make awesome guitars. Probably my favorite and best fiords was a PRS, birds on the fretboard. It was gorgeous, and for a Santana fan like me, so cool. 

Agree with BB on the PRS suggestion. They make awesome guitars. Probably my favorite and best fiords was a PRS, birds on the fretboard. It was gorgeous, and for a Santana fan like me, so cool. 
They really are beautiful guitars, and the SEs have many of the same trademark elements. 

Crank, if your kid plays a PRS SE in the store, you can find something along the lines of this at Reverb.com for around $400:

https://applink.reverb.com/item/13955901-paul-reed-smith-se-custom-24-tabacco-sunburst

New, they are about $750. 

I've been giving heavy thought to getting a nylon-stringed acoustic/electric. Anyone have any recommendations they could share? I've spent 30+ years rockin' a million faces with steel strings. Now I want to gently lull them. 

I've been giving heavy thought to getting a nylon-stringed acoustic/electric. Anyone have any recommendations they could share? I've spent 30+ years rockin' a million faces with steel strings. Now I want to gently lull them. 
I have no knowledge on this topic, but please keep us updated on what you learn and what you ultimately purchase. I would love to learn alongside you. 

Kumerica said:
I bought one of these after watching this guy play his a bunch on Youtube

https://youtu.be/_2i4ReYjRSc

Pretty sweet 

Yeah, Sweetwater's always my go-to online provider.  Just checking to see if people were happy with _________ type guitars.

My insurance company is giving me $1,430 to replace a 24-year old Seagull acoustic that I've had since college that received water damage over the summer.  I don't have to buy the same guitar... I just need to buy something of the same replacement value.  I don't play much any more, but I would still like to have a decent acoustic around the house.  I'm looking for something with nice overall tone and relatively decent playability.  Any suggestions in this price range?  Are there any national retailers that have good Black Friday deals?

I bought a Kemper a couple of weeks ago. Sounds awesome through headphones, but not so good through my guitar cabinets. Anyone have experience or can recommend some kind of FRFR system?

Users who are viewing this thread