What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Guitar Guys Thread -- all axes, all the time (2 Viewers)

bigbottom said:
Yeah, I learned the “sandwich” technique - middle finger on the D, index finger on the G, ring finger on the B. This allows you to utilize your pointer finger as an anchor as you move between the D, A and E chords because your index finger never leaves the G string. Makes for much more fluid transitions. 
I was playing for a few hours tonight and I tried this shape for the A Cord and it was actually pretty nice. It’s the same shape as a D7 chord just all on the same fret. 

By the way, I can't get over how fun these Baby Taylor guitars are. It plays like butter -- so easy and fun to play. I guess it's the short scale and the nut width, but it's just such a pleasure to play. Sounds great for what it is. Has to be the best $150 you can spend on a used guitar. Anyone looking for a great little acoustic, I encourage you to check one out. I'm really considering picking up one of the limited edition versions too (rosewood, koa, maybe others?)

So sweet.
Have a potential purchase of a used Baby Taylor BT2 for $175 thru Facebook Market if the seller still has it on Sunday. Looks to be in great shape. Still running at $350 new it looks like. 

Edit: missed out. He sold it before I could get there. :kicksrock:

Last edited by a moderator:
Dang, the new Gibsons look good.  I have a used guitar incoming that may or may not have been lost in the mail.  (It was supposed to be delivered this last Monday, but it hasn't arrived and the tracking info has stopped updating.)

If it is lost, I may have to pull the trigger on one of the new Tributes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdXGsJC4oZs

Have a potential purchase of a used Baby Taylor BT2 for $175 thru Facebook Market if the seller still has it on Sunday. Looks to be in great shape. Still running at $350 new it looks like. 

Edit: missed out. He sold it before I could get there. :kicksrock:
Been watching and found another BT2. He wanted $250 and i got him down to $200. Will pick up tonight. Then I need to actually follow thru and start learning. My electric sits in the corner with a broken string and never was touched much since I got it 2 years ago. 

cap'n grunge said:
Been watching and found another BT2. He wanted $250 and i got him down to $200. Will pick up tonight. Then I need to actually follow thru and start learning. My electric sits in the corner with a broken string and never was touched much since I got it 2 years ago. 
HNGD!

cap'n grunge said:
Just picked it up. Like brand new. Serial number says made in 2018. Score!

Nice!!!  For an acoustic guitar, this should be an easy one to learn on (small scale, low action). Good luck!
I own two of these.  The short scale makes them reeeeallly easy and buttery to play. Great starting guitar, though it’ll be hard initially to move from this to a larger acoustic. 

Good luck 

David Gilmour's guitar collection has fetched a whopping $21.49 million at auction.

The Pink Floyd rocker sold off 127 of his beloved instruments at Christie's in New York on Thursday night, with all proceeds going to climate change charity, Client Earth. 

The 73-year-old rocker - who is known for his aptly-titled hit 'Money' - even saw his beloved black 1969 Fender sell for $3.97 million. 

Christie's was blown away by that particular sale, having estimated that it would collect a far smaller sum of around $150,000. 

The guitar was used by Gilmour during the recording of Pink Floyd's seminal albums The Dark Side of The Moon and The Wall. 

Gilmour's collection has been described as 'the largest and most comprehensive sale of guitars ever offered at auction'. 

Traded my Froggy Bottom for a Bourgeois Banjo Killer. Looks gorgeous in the pics, can’t wait to get it. (Look at the gorgeous bearclaw in that top - link)

More importantly, 7 year old daughter has expressed interest in learning, so I have her one of my Taylor Baby guitars and am giving her lessons. I hope she sticks with it. This could be awesome. 

Traded my Froggy Bottom for a Bourgeois Banjo Killer. Looks gorgeous in the pics, can’t wait to get it. (Look at the gorgeous bearclaw in that top - link)

More importantly, 7 year old daughter has expressed interest in learning, so I have her one of my Taylor Baby guitars and am giving her lessons. I hope she sticks with it. This could be awesome. 
That is an absolutely gorgeous guitar!!!  Of course, with Otisbucks(tm), you should have bought the Bourgeois AND kept the Froggy Bottom!  But I know your MO. Happy New Guitar Day!

As for your daughter’s interest, that is so awesome! I really hope she sticks with it and you can share that passion. I absolutely loved seeing Chance take to the guitar and slowly start to develop his skills. It was something really meaningful and powerful that we shared. 

Here’s a vid of he and his little brother messing around (this was during Chance’s treatment): https://youtu.be/bDRz6tRq9sg

That is an absolutely gorgeous guitar!!!  Of course, with Otisbucks(tm), you should have bought the Bourgeois AND kept the Froggy Bottom!  But I know your MO. Happy New Guitar Day!

As for your daughter’s interest, that is so awesome! I really hope she sticks with it and you can share that passion. I absolutely loved seeing Chance take to the guitar and slowly start to develop his skills. It was something really meaningful and powerful that we shared. 

Here’s a vid of he and his little brother messing around (this was during Chance’s treatment): https://youtu.be/bDRz6tRq9sg
I remember this vid — loved it then and still love it now. Awesome. And damn they sound good! I agree, there’s something special about being able to share that passion for music with our children.  This is my first experience with that and I’m hoping it sticks!

I remember this vid — loved it then and still love it now. Awesome. And damn they sound good! I agree, there’s something special about being able to share that passion for music with our children.  This is my first experience with that and I’m hoping it sticks!
Thanks so much for your kindness. I must admit that I jump at the chance to share memories of Chance. Didn’t mean to divert attention from your post. Enjoy that new guitar of yours!

You traded a Froggy Bottom?? Hope u don’t regret that!

Is that banjo killer a dreadnaught? Can’t tell the body style from the pictures. 

I'm buying my son a new electric guitar for his birthday. My budget is $800. He has a few guitars now, a Fender Mustang, a MIM Strat, and a Yamaha acoustic. He wants something versatile with passive humbuckers. I've been looking at a few different Charvel models (San Dimas, and So Cal). I'm also considering a higher end Epi LP. So many choices. He plays a little bit of everything, but mostly classic and Indie rock type stuff. If you had an $800 budget, what non Fender guitars would you be looking at? 

I'm buying my son a new electric guitar for his birthday. My budget is $800. He has a few guitars now, a Fender Mustang, a MIM Strat, and a Yamaha acoustic. He wants something versatile with passive humbuckers. I've been looking at a few different Charvel models (San Dimas, and So Cal). I'm also considering a higher end Epi LP. So many choices. He plays a little bit of everything, but mostly classic and Indie rock type stuff. If you had an $800 budget, what non Fender guitars would you be looking at? 
It's $800 at Guitar Center, but $449 from Adorama with a Slickdeals rebate. That's a Gretsch semi hollow double cutaway if you don't want to tap the links.

Used PRS. At that price point, I’d also consider a Gibson Les Paul Studio (not as versatile, but I think an LP should be in every guitar player’s arsenal).

You can get a whole lot of Epiphone for $800. New Gibson prices are crazy right now even for lower end models.  If you're looking for versatile look for some with coil tapping/splitting.  Not sure if you're interested in wading through the used market.

Look at PRS.  You won't get an American made model but their Asian models are quality. Again, look for coil splitting.

Just picked up a used Fender Roland-Ready GC-1 Strat. 

https://www.roland.com/us/products/gc-1/

It’s a MIM Strat that has a Roland pickup installed right by the bridge and a separate 13-pin midi output for use with Roland’s GR-55 synth module. I’ve owned the GR-55 for a while, but I finally picked up a guitar that is specifically wired for use with it (as opposed to using an add-on pickup on a regular guitar).  The GC-1 is nice because all the wiring is internal and there are controls on the pickguard to operate the GR-55 (i.e. changing patch banks).  

I know there is a very narrow market for this kind of thing, but this is an amazingly cool piece of gear. Not only does the GR-55 have loads of non-guitar patches (synth pads, strings, piano, etc.) it has the ability to model some really freaking good guitar tones. Make no mistake, the stock patches are mostly crap, but there is an on-line patch sharing forum where people have posted some absolutely amazing custom patches. I’ve been using a Marshall stack/Les Paul patch that is Brit-tastic!  And today I just downloaded a guy’s custom EVH brown-tone patch that is spot on. It also models acoustic guitars and I have a custom Martin acoustic patch that sounds incredible (and with a hit of the control footswitch it transforms into a 12-string).

The GR-55 also does any alternate tuning you want.  So I have a drop-D, an open G, and a custom Michael Hedges tuning that I can switch to by the simply tap of a button with my foot. And I can set a patch to tune up any number of half-steps, so I can play a song that normally would be capoed without actually having to use a capo. 

Again, I’ve had this unit for a while, but I never got past the crappy stock patches. Now that I’ve discovered this online source for free custom patches and paired the unit with this Roland-Ready Strat, I’m having an absolute blast. It’s super fun. 

In May, I’m competing in a battle of the bands competition with a group of guys and we’re doing a bunch of 80s tunes. I’ll be using this rig and switching between some sweet 80s synth patches and great guitar tones. I hope I can pull it off!

It’s a MIM Strat that has a Roland pickup installed right by the bridge and a separate 13-pin midi output for use with Roland’s GR-55 synth module. I’ve owned the GR-55 for a while, but I finally picked up a guitar that is specifically wired for use with it (as opposed to using an add-on pickup on a regular guitar).  The GC-1 is nice because all the wiring is internal and there are controls on the pickguard to operate the GR-55 (i.e. changing patch banks).  

I know there is a very narrow market for this kind of thing, but this is an amazingly cool piece of gear. Not only does the GR-55 have loads of non-guitar patches (synth pads, strings, piano, etc.) it has the ability to model some really freaking good guitar tones. Make no mistake, the stock patches are mostly crap, but there is an on-line patch sharing forum where people have posted some absolutely amazing custom patches. I’ve been using a Marshall stack/Les Paul patch that is Brit-tastic!  And today I just downloaded a guy’s custom EVH brown-tone patch that is spot on. It also models acoustic guitars and I have a custom Martin acoustic patch that sounds incredible (and with a hit of the control footswitch it transforms into a 12-string).

The GR-55 also does any alternate tuning you want.  So I have a drop-D, an open G, and a custom Michael Hedges tuning that I can switch to by the simply tap of a button with my foot. And I can set a patch to tune up any number of half-steps, so I can play a song that normally would be capoed without actually having to use a capo. 

Again, I’ve had this unit for a while, but I never got past the crappy stock patches. Now that I’ve discovered this online source for free custom patches and paired the unit with this Roland-Ready Strat, I’m having an absolute blast. It’s super fun. 

In May, I’m competing in a battle of the bands competition with a group of guys and we’re doing a bunch of 80s tunes. I’ll be using this rig and switching between some sweet 80s synth patches and great guitar tones. I hope I can pull it off!
Sounds like a cool piece of gear indeed. Good luck with it. 

Re the BotB, is this that lawyer band one I heard about in Houston?  Guy I know at Akin played in it last year, sounds pretty darn cool. 

Sounds like a cool piece of gear indeed. Good luck with it. 

Re the BotB, is this that lawyer band one I heard about in Houston?  Guy I know at Akin played in it last year, sounds pretty darn cool. 
A guy you know at Akin in Houston?  If so, that was my band. We won. 

Probably way too techie for me but sounds like fun.

You can get a whole lot of Epiphone for $800. New Gibson prices are crazy right now even for lower end models.  If you're looking for versatile look for some with coil tapping/splitting.  Not sure if you're interested in wading through the used market.

Look at PRS.  You won't get an American made model but their Asian models are quality. Again, look for coil splitting.
Haven't picked up a PRS SE in years, but people rave about these for the $$$. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SECU24TS2--prs-se-custom-24-tobacco-sunburst  

Probably way too techie for me but sounds like fun.
It’s pretty easy once you learn how to download and install custom patches. Here are a couple of clips of a couple patches.

EVH patch: https://youtu.be/FFdsjH5ozkU

iPhone microphone is pretty crappy but you should be able to get a sense of the tone. Keep in mind that this is not going through an amp. It’s going straight from the pedal board to a small Bose PA. I think the tone is pretty damn sweet for something completely digital with no amp (it’s not even using the fender pickups that are on the guitar). Also, the patch automatically detunes all the strings down a half step, as EVH recorded the song in Eb tuning. And obviously, I’m no EVH. I just learned the basic riff to demonstrate the patch and am obviously missing all the ornamentation and complexity.

Acoustic Patch with Alt tuning: https://youtu.be/gfeouQnUJ6c

This is a Martin acoustic patch (and the iPhone mic really hurts the quality here - sounds way better in the room).  I start off just playing some basic chords in standard tuning, and then you’ll see I hit the pedal and the guitar instantly switches to an alternate tuning. I play (or attempt to play) a bit of a Michael Hedges cover of All Along the Watchtower. This was really just meant to show how easy it is to use alternate tunings. I used to have to lug around multiple guitars to do this. Now you can employ alt tunings instantly on any patch you want (not just acoustic patches).

Strings Patch: https://youtu.be/2lR2QTdtgng

This patch gives you an idea of some of the strings/pad synth sounds you can get out of the GR-55. 

Do the detuning patches work seamlessly? Is there ever any noticeable "auto-tune" sound to your tone (for lack of a better term)?

Do the detuning patches work seamlessly? Is there ever any noticeable "auto-tune" sound to your tone (for lack of a better term)?
Not that I’ve been able to tell so long as you’re not doing anything extreme. The EVH patch is tuned down a half step and it sounds very natural in my opinion. 

That said, you do have to play these patches either at a decent volume level or using headphones. Because if you can hear the actual strings it will mess you up because the notes are different than what is coming out of the Roland unit. 

I had the earliest incarnation of the Roland pickup back in college... the GK2A around 1997, maybe?  It was tons of fun then so I can only imagine how good the gear is now.  I never kept it because the pickup adhesive never really worked and I didn't want to drill into my guitar.  I had always wanted one built right into the guitar.  How does that Strat play w/out the Rolan pickups?

I had the earliest incarnation of the Roland pickup back in college... the GK2A around 1997, maybe?  It was tons of fun then so I can only imagine how good the gear is now.  I never kept it because the pickup adhesive never really worked and I didn't want to drill into my guitar.  I had always wanted one built right into the guitar.  How does that Strat play w/out the Rolan pickups?
Yeah, having everything built in is great. There is a separate volume knob for the synth module and buttons on the front of the pick guard so you can advance the patch bank for the foot switches. There is also a toggle switch so you can switch between the guitar pickups and the synth output, or have both active and blend between the two. 

As for the guitar, it is very playable and sets up nicely. The previous owner replaced the stock pickups with TexMex pickups which sound good but don’t match my style as well as the pickups I have on my Deluxe. All in all, it’s a great piece of gear. Too bad they discontinued them. You have to pick one up used on Reverb or Guitar Center. 

Never played before but am thinking about getting a guitar. I know most people quit within a few months but I’m considering getting a nice guitar to start with. A lot of sites recommend acoustic to start and only spending a couple hundred but I’m thinking electric and something a little nicer. Will it make a difference?

Never played before but am thinking about getting a guitar. I know most people quit within a few months but I’m considering getting a nice guitar to start with. A lot of sites recommend acoustic to start and only spending a couple hundred but I’m thinking electric and something a little nicer. Will it make a difference?
Get a used made in Mexico (MIM) Fender Stratocaster (not a Squier).  Should be able to get one for around $350 and it’s the perfect starter guitar in my opinion for a whole bunch of reasons I’m happy to go into further. 

Get an electric. Learn on it. It will be much easier. Once you can play electric then you can move on to acoustic. 

I got an epiphone les paul slash bundle which is great. If I had to do it over, would have taken biggys advice and gone with the strat. 

I started on acoustic and ditched it for an electric almost immediately, but that's because I'm a little less into the singer-songwriter stuff than amplified play with other instruments.  Plus, you can always pick up acoustic techniques and styles later.  I agree with bb to start on a Strat or a Strat imitator.  My first electric was a Strat knockoff by another company and it STILL looks and sounds great 35 years or so later.  

bigbottom said:
Get a used made in Mexico (MIM) Fender Stratocaster (not a Squier).  Should be able to get one for around $350 and it’s the perfect starter guitar in my opinion for a whole bunch of reasons I’m happy to go into further. 
This, except make it a Telecaster. More stable bridge for a beginner plus Led Zep I.

This, except make it a Telecaster. More stable bridge for a beginner plus Led Zep I.
Love Teles and have one of my own, but in my opinion a Strat will be more versatile in terms of tone if it’s going to be your only guitar for a while. Can’t go wrong with either though.

Everyone has an opinion. I always recommend to start on acoustic. It’s physically harder and if you can adequately play acoustic you can easily play electric and the inverse is certainly not true. It hurts your fingers regardless. Pretty much all of the classic guitar greats have been quoted as saying something to the effect of... “know the acoustic and be good on acoustic”. The acoustic is so much more organically dynamic it practically forces you to play with soul, touch and dynamics. I can’t say the same for electric. I learned on acoustic so I’m definitely biased but I will also add that all the bad ### guitarists I know also are very good on acoustic. Just my opinion. 

Everyone has an opinion. I always recommend to start on acoustic. It’s physically harder and if you can adequately play acoustic you can easily play electric and the inverse is certainly not true. It hurts your fingers regardless. Pretty much all of the classic guitar greats have been quoted as saying something to the effect of... “know the acoustic and be good on acoustic”. The acoustic is so much more organically dynamic it practically forces you to play with soul, touch and dynamics. I can’t say the same for electric. I learned on acoustic so I’m definitely biased but I will also add that all the bad ### guitarists I know also are very good on acoustic. Just my opinion. 
I learned on an acoustic, and for a lot of years advocated that folks start on an acoustic because that’s how I learned. But the biggest obstacle for someone who wants to learn guitar is that it’s too hard and they give up before getting proficient enough to enjoy it. I’ve come around to the opinion that because electric is easier to play, and because you can get some sweet rockin’ tones from just playing a simple D chord through an amp, the dropout rate will be lower for people who start learning on an electric. Just my opinion.  

Users who are viewing this thread