What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Guitar Guys Thread -- all axes, all the time (1 Viewer)

Have the Katana 50.  It's pretty good if you're willing to dial it in with software.  Wasn't impressed out of the box, but was able to dial in some nice tones.  It gets a lot of love online.  :shrug:  
Just got the MKII yesterday, and just love this thing without even hitting the tone studio yet. Granted I've never really had a good amp so my comparison sample size is small. I've been playing through an 18 watt 70's Peavey Backstage 30 with a single Boss DS1 distortion pedal. So it's like Christmas morning in the ESB home. Of course the wife is none to pleased with the power. 

Just got the MKII yesterday, and just love this thing without even hitting the tone studio yet. Granted I've never really had a good amp so my comparison sample size is small. I've been playing through an 18 watt 70's Peavey Backstage 30 with a single Boss DS1 distortion pedal. So it's like Christmas morning in the ESB home. Of course the wife is none to pleased with the power. 
HNAD!

Anyone learning any fun new covers lately? I spent most of my first 20 or so years writing songs and if I did learn a cover I would just learn the chords and that’s about it. Last few years I’ve really gotten into learning covers note for note and it’s so fun and challenging. I’m not a lead player so when I say “ note for note” I mean intro, outro, chords and any other non-solo guitar parts throughout the song. Songs I’ve learned completely in the last year or so:

Colonel Forbin’s Ascent

Harry Hood

The Lizards

Ya Mar

Tube

Fee

Bathtub Gin

Avenu Malkenu

Eyes of the World

Uncle John’s Band

Loser

Mississippi 1/2 Step

Ten Years Gone

That’s The Way

Peace Train

Lots of Dead and Phish. So fun learning all these songs though. I play a Gibson Advanced Jumbo. I have two in fact. One for open or various tunings and another always in standard. For you acoustic guys I highly encourage you to check them out. Best acoustic dread these ears have heard which is why I own 2! You can find them used around $2k which is normt bad for a high end acoustic with supreme tone!

Guitar teacher reacts to Umphreys Mcgee

If you haven’t listened to umphreys or if you have, this is enjoyable. 

Then he tries again

I haven’t watched any more of this guys videos, but I probably will as he does a great job figuring out some of this stuff on the fly. He doesn’t work it out beforehand, more listens and then breaks down what’s going on, the basic chord structure behind solos etc, but he doesn’t know what he’s in for.

Anyone learning any fun new covers lately? I spent most of my first 20 or so years writing songs and if I did learn a cover I would just learn the chords and that’s about it. Last few years I’ve really gotten into learning covers note for note and it’s so fun and challenging. I’m not a lead player so when I say “ note for note” I mean intro, outro, chords and any other non-solo guitar parts throughout the song. Songs I’ve learned completely in the last year or so:

Colonel Forbin’s Ascent

Harry Hood

The Lizards

Ya Mar

Tube

Fee

Bathtub Gin

Avenu Malkenu

Eyes of the World

Uncle John’s Band

Loser

Mississippi 1/2 Step

Ten Years Gone

That’s The Way

Peace Train

Lots of Dead and Phish. So fun learning all these songs though. I play a Gibson Advanced Jumbo. I have two in fact. One for open or various tunings and another always in standard. For you acoustic guys I highly encourage you to check them out. Best acoustic dread these ears have heard which is why I own 2! You can find them used around $2k which is normt bad for a high end acoustic with supreme tone!
I think lizards is one of the hardest phish songs, really takes control and a light touch. You should learn guyute- don’t know if he’s done it recently but treys first solo tour he did an acoustic version that’s pretty tangible for a decent player.

I think lizards is one of the hardest phish songs, really takes control and a light touch. You should learn guyute- don’t know if he’s done it recently but treys first solo tour he did an acoustic version that’s pretty tangible for a decent player.
I just played with a band where we covered the Hoist album for an outdoor festival we play annually. We’re thinking we might cover Story Of The Ghost next which has Guyute. So that could very well be on the docket.

I just played with a band where we covered the Hoist album for an outdoor festival we play annually. We’re thinking we might cover Story Of The Ghost next which has Guyute. So that could very well be on the docket.
If you look back a little I posted some of my old dead/phish cover band

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok need to update in here. I can’t believe I have never been active on this thread.

Been playing guitar/writng and performing for over 35 years now. I am a progressive rock guitarist through and through. My Holy trinity of influences are:

Alex Lifeson

Eddie Van Halen

David Gilmore

Also really love The Edge, Jimmy Page, Jake E Lee, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Jimmy Hendrix, and Steven Wilson.

With that out of the way here is my guitar lineup:

Gibson Custom Shop Lifeson 355 (#207) (Alpine White with gold hardware simply incredible)

Gibson Custom Shop Lifeson Axcess Les Paul (Viceroy Brown)

Gibson Custom Shop 1961 Reissue SG (Ebony with gold hardware)

PRS EG 4 (1991) (Tobacco Sunburst with a black pick guard stunning)

PRS CE 22 (Black Cherry)

Epiphone 1275 Alpine White Double Neck SG (6/12 string)

Original Jackson Soloist (Single cut 1985) (Purple and Black Tiger striped full on 80’s hair metal machine)

Hamer K.K. Downing Vector Flying V (1985) (cherry red with off white pick guard)

Ibanez Acoustic with Fishman transducer (unclear of the model but it is a more compact acoustic with a huge sound)

Yamaha 12 String Acoustic (found this amazing beautiful guitar in a pawn shop for $150 in 1991)

Amplification:

Marshall DSL 100 Watt Tube Head

Marshall 1936 (2X12) Cabinet with Celeston Green Bsacks

Pedal Board Guitar into:

Boss TU-2

Morely Volume Pedal

Ibanez T-9 Tube Screamer

Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor

Vox Wah 

To Front end of Marshall 

Effects Loop Send:

Boss Phaser

Boss Waza CE-1/CE-2 Chorus

Boss Waza Dimension Pedal

Boss Flanger

Arion Flanger

Ibanez DDL II 10 Digital Delay

Line 6 DLM Delay Modeler

Fender Marine Layer Reverb Pedal

Effects Loop Return

And there you have it.

Ok need to update in here. I can’t believe I have never been active on this thread.

Been playing guitar/writng and performing for over 35 years now. I am a progressive rock guitarist through and through. My Holy trinity of influences are:

Alex Lifeson

Eddie Van Halen

David Gilmore

Also really love The Edge, Jimmy Page, Jake E Lee, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Jimmy Hendrix, and Steven Wilson.

With that out of the way here is my guitar lineup:

Gibson Custom Shop Lifeson 355 (#207)

Gibson Custom Shop Lifeson Axcess Les Paul

Gibson 1961 Reissue SG

PRS EG 4 (1991)

PRS CE 22

Epiphone 1275 Alpine White Double Neck SG (6/12 string)

Original Jackson Soloist (Single cut 1985)

Hamer K.K. Downing Vector Flying V (1985)

Ibanez Acoustic with Fishman transducer 

Yamaha 12 String Acoustic

Amplification:

Marshall DSL 100 Watt Tube Head

Marshall 1936 (2X12) Cabinet with Celeston Green Bsacks

Pedal Board Guitar into:

Boss TU-2

Morely Volume Pedal

Ibanez T-9 Tube Screamer

Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor

Vox Wah 

To Front end of Marshall 

Effects Loop Send:

Boss Phaser

Boss Waza CE-1/CE-2 Chorus

Boss Waza Dimension Pedal

Boss Flanger

Arion Flanger

Ibanez DDL II 10 Digital Delay

Line 6 DLM Delay Modeler

Fender Marine Layer Reverb Pedal

Effects Loop Return

And there you have it.
Awesome gear!!!  Your Marshall rig is nearly identical to the one I gigged with for a number of years. Loved it. Ended up switching to an Orange combo and now I generally play direct to PA (I’m too old and tired to keep hauling gear).

p.s. Do you play that Epiphone live?  If so, you are a freaking rock star to pull that off!

Awesome gear!!!  Your Marshall rig is nearly identical to the one I gigged with for a number of years. Loved it. Ended up switching to an Orange combo and now I generally play direct to PA (I’m too old and tired to keep hauling gear).

p.s. Do you play that Epiphone live?  If so, you are a freaking rock star to pull that off!
I certainly do play the double neck live. Use it on 4 of our tunes.

Love that guitar. My fav is the 355. It simply sounds divine man.

Orange makes some great stuff too!

If you don’t have anything better to do . . .

Please mark your calendars for Thursday, December 10. I will be joining several friends of mine in the legal profession to perform in “LAWROCKS-APALOOZA” an online virtual concert event featuring “LawRocks” bands from all over the world. Our band of lawyers is PRO HAC VICE and we will be playing to raise money for Chance for Hope Foundation!

Tickets are on sale now at the link below. 50% of ticket sales and charitable donations designating our band will benefit Chance for Hope. We hope you will buy a ticket and join us for this fun evening! When buying your ticket, please be sure to select “Pro Hac Vice for Chance for Hope Foundation” from the drop down menu to ensure that proceeds are directed to Chance for Hope. Thanks in advance and ROCK ON!

Ticket Link: https://lawrocks.org/lza

Note that this is not my regular gigging band. This is a band of local lawyers from Houston that got together to perform at the 2019 Houston LawRocks battle of the bands. For this online concert (not a competition), select lawyer bands from various cities around the world were invited by the organization to perform (so they should mostly be decent). The LawRocks band from Phoenix will actually have Alice Cooper playing with them, which is super cool. Each band only plays one song so it should only be a couple hour event. Anyway, check it out if you’re interested. 

Listened to all three tunes. Liked them a lot, particularly the first one. Great job!  Any thoughts about adding vox or are these designed to be instrumentals. Cause I found myself humming to the first song. 
We have a new dude that can sing, Will add vocals to new stuff. Still learning how to record. Thanks for checking this out.

Looking for recommendations/information/buying tips on an entry level amp.   Bought my kid an acoustic guitar back in June.   He wants an electric one now for Christmas.  We'll let him choose a guitar, but I figured I could get the amp for under the tree.  So, I do not know exactly what guitar it will be used with yet. I will mostly be used for playing around the house and such.  A friend of a friend suggested a Fender Frontman 10G -10 Watt Amp or a Fender Champion 20 - 20 Watt Electric Guitar amplifier.  Thoughts?  Good enough for a noob with room for growth?

Looking for recommendations/information/buying tips on an entry level amp.   Bought my kid an acoustic guitar back in June.   He wants an electric one now for Christmas.  We'll let him choose a guitar, but I figured I could get the amp for under the tree.  So, I do not know exactly what guitar it will be used with yet. I will mostly be used for playing around the house and such.  A friend of a friend suggested a Fender Frontman 10G -10 Watt Amp or a Fender Champion 20 - 20 Watt Electric Guitar amplifier.  Thoughts?  Good enough for a noob with room for growth?
Get him a used modeling amp with effects like a Line 6 Spider IV or similar. You can probably find one for $100 or so on Craigslist.

The Champion is a digital modeling amp, and will make lots of different tones very easily. If he progresses and wants a "real" tube amp, the Champ will have provided him with a broad palette to learn what kind he wants. Costs quite a bit more than the Frontman, but it's still reasonable, and it might be longer before he wants to upgrade.

My mother in law has gotten me two plug and play amps that I love. You can get him the amp that guys here suggest AND these plug and play amps so he can easily test what style of music he likes to play. 

I have the AC 30 and the metal one. I love them and dont need to fuss with bothering anyone with the noise. 

https://www.amazon.com/AP2AC-amPlug-Guitar-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B00NAUHX1G/ref=mp_s_a_1_9?dchild=1&keywords=plug+and+play+amp&qid=1608408874&sr=8-9

My mother in law has gotten me two plug and play amps that I love. You can get him the amp that guys here suggest AND these plug and play amps so he can easily test what style of music he likes to play. 

I have the AC 30 and the metal one. I love them and dont need to fuss with bothering anyone with the noise. 

https://www.amazon.com/AP2AC-amPlug-Guitar-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B00NAUHX1G/ref=mp_s_a_1_9?dchild=1&keywords=plug+and+play+amp&qid=1608408874&sr=8-9
Whoa, those are pretty cool.

The Spark gets tons of online love for a practice amp. 

Its also reasonable priced and have worked out their long shipping delays.

The Spark gets tons of online love for a practice amp. 

Its also reasonable priced and have worked out their long shipping delays.
Going to be about $120 more than the Fender Champion 20 linked, but has some very cool features and a very intuitive app.  Supposed to be a great Bluetooth speaker also.

I've been through a few practice amps in the Spark range lately :bag:   hoping those extra features inspire me to play the electric a little more.

If you don’t have anything better to do . . .

Please mark your calendars for Thursday, December 10. I will be joining several friends of mine in the legal profession to perform in “LAWROCKS-APALOOZA” an online virtual concert event featuring “LawRocks” bands from all over the world. Our band of lawyers is PRO HAC VICE and we will be playing to raise money for Chance for Hope Foundation!

Tickets are on sale now at the link below. 50% of ticket sales and charitable donations designating our band will benefit Chance for Hope. We hope you will buy a ticket and join us for this fun evening! When buying your ticket, please be sure to select “Pro Hac Vice for Chance for Hope Foundation” from the drop down menu to ensure that proceeds are directed to Chance for Hope. Thanks in advance and ROCK ON!

Ticket Link: https://lawrocks.org/lza

Note that this is not my regular gigging band. This is a band of local lawyers from Houston that got together to perform at the 2019 Houston LawRocks battle of the bands. For this online concert (not a competition), select lawyer bands from various cities around the world were invited by the organization to perform (so they should mostly be decent). The LawRocks band from Phoenix will actually have Alice Cooper playing with them, which is super cool. Each band only plays one song so it should only be a couple hour event. Anyway, check it out if you’re interested. 
The concert is on YouTube now if you want to check it out. Some of the lawyer bands were really good (I really liked Femme and 1981 in particular) and had really professional production. We did our song live in a single 3-minute take with four iPhones on tripods, lol. We had a great stage set for the tune however. Here’s a direct link to our performance: https://youtu.be/dDPYDIMjSCM&t=13m06s

The concert is on YouTube now if you want to check it out. Some of the lawyer bands were really good (I really liked Femme and 1981 in particular) and had really professional production. We did our song live in a single 3-minute take with four iPhones on tripods, lol. We had a great stage set for the tune however. Here’s a direct link to our performance: https://youtu.be/dDPYDIMjSCM&t=13m06s
Paulie Shore was made for cameo. 
what is a 18gov partner

nice job, sweet garage

So, I’ve had my guitar for three years now. I wrote my first song I actually liked about a month ago. Then yesterday, I had a creativity surge and wrote another 4

When I say songs, I mean hardcore punk that isn’t as good as Bolds stuff when they were 14 BUT, it rocks to me, lol

So, I’ve had my guitar for three years now. I wrote my first song I actually liked about a month ago. Then yesterday, I had a creativity surge and wrote another 4

When I say songs, I mean hardcore punk that isn’t as good as Bolds stuff when they were 14 BUT, it rocks to me, lol
YouTube it!

I judged a band in Memphis for International Blues Challenge. The guitar player was phenom..for me, right up my alley, he/they had fun/killer show. they knew they lost on blues content but just enjoyed being themselves...real deal Blues band out of St Louis...didn't advance. A person who I am now friends with, did pretty much what lawyer dude did, not as well, played polka dot strat, walked Beale (actually cool enough)...but when you front Buddy...better bring emotion/soul and a bit of an idea you  know what dynamics are...pretty please with sugar on top...  she advanced, saw her play a song or two at Chicago bluesfest and our local guys hmu to get her to headline our bluesfest...my point...hmm good question...blues the joynt...much props to you guitar/football guys, life is always better with guitars. Peace !!! edit to add lawyer guitar guy was from Indianapolis.

Picked up a couple new pieces of gear in the last few weeks:

1) Line 6 HX Stomp - it’s one of those Line 6 amp modeler and cab sims with tons of effects modules all in a smaller form factor. This little pedal really packs a punch and you can really dial in amazing tone if you play around with it. Modeling for a crap ton of high end amps and cabinets on board, and then you can download third party IRs which are even closer to the real thing. Check out this site that lists all of the amps, cabinets and pedals (both mainstream and boutique) that are stock in the HX Stomp:  https://www.fluidsolo.com/patchexchange/view-models/Amplifiers,a

2) AKAI Professional MPK249 MIDI Controller (49-key): Picked up my very first midi controller and purchased Logic Pro for my MacBook. Big learning curve as I’ve never worked with midi or a program such as Logic Pro before, but there are like 72,000 YouTube instructional videos out there so I’ve been able to learn a ton already. It’s been really fun and I’ve been able to dial in almost perfect synth parts for several 80s tunes.

2) AKAI Professional MPK249 MIDI Controller (49-key): Picked up my very first midi controller and purchased Logic Pro for my MacBook. Big learning curve as I’ve never worked with midi or a program such as Logic Pro before, but there are like 72,000 YouTube instructional videos out there so I’ve been able to learn a ton already. It’s been really fun and I’ve been able to dial in almost perfect synth parts for several 80s tunes.
Including the random arpeggiated synth notes from Hungry Like the Wolf. That was a high level of difficulty!

Just seeing this now, very well done. And those cameras are phones? Jeebus...

Kid is pretty sick. And that bass's fashion 😂 LOVE it

Just seeing this now, very well done. And those cameras are phones? Jeebus...

Kid is pretty sick. And that bass's fashion 😂 LOVE it
Thanks!! So funny that you bumped this. LawRocks asked us if we’d be willing to film a mini-set to support their charitable efforts, so we’re headed back to that same garage tomorrow to film four more tunes. I think our outfits might even be more obnoxious!

Thanks!! So funny that you bumped this. LawRocks asked us if we’d be willing to film a mini-set to support their charitable efforts, so we’re headed back to that same garage tomorrow to film four more tunes. I think our outfits might even be more obnoxious!
Can't wait to see it. 

Users who are viewing this thread