What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Julio Jones, PHI (2 Viewers)

I currently have DK, Parker, and Deebo and Julio could be in my flex if active.  I get the “start your studs” but I have no confidence putting him in there and I’m thinking about fading to avoid an in game setback with another option that has a good matchup 

What are you sharks doing with Julio if active?

I currently have DK, Parker, and Deebo and Julio could be in my flex if active.  I get the “start your studs” but I have no confidence putting him in there and I’m thinking about fading to avoid an in game setback with another option that has a good matchup 

I kinda have to start him. Golliday being hurt is killing my flexibility at WR this year.

Playoffs....  he give me the best chance to advance.  Without him, I have to go with M Hardman KC or J Grant Mia.  But if Fitzmagic also plays, Grant might be ok...

Julio has a long history of going off or having solid games when he’s been limited all week / battling injuries. 

Y’all wanna go against history have at it. There’s probably no player in FF rn I trust more in that regard.

(FantasyPros) ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Falcons WR Julio Jones (hamstring) is expected to play in Week 13 against the Saints. Analysis: Jones was listed as questionable entering the weekend and is expected to give it a go in this pivotal divisional matchup. Fantasy managers should consider him an unquestioned WR1.

Last edited by a moderator:
(FantasyPros) ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Falcons WR Julio Jones (hamstring) is expected to play in Week 13 against the Saints. Analysis: Jones was listed as questionable entering the weekend and is expected to give it a go in this pivotal divisional matchup. Fantasy managers should consider him an unquestioned WR1.
I've seen this act before with Julio, hamstrings, and unquestioned number 1 WR.  More often than not WR's with hammy injuries don't put up WR1 numbers.   The only thing that heals them is rest.  As a Ridley owner, I have tempered expectations today as he needs Julio in there to draw the good coverage away.  Ryan has sucked without a healthy Julio also.

BoerumHill said:
Julio has a long history of going off or having solid games when he’s been limited all week / battling injuries. 

Y’all wanna go against history have at it. There’s probably no player in FF rn I trust more in that regard.
I have no choice this week, but he has burned me numerous weeks with the above mentioned strategy. Julio has been a huge liability for me this year - 3 duds and 3 zeros (missed games). He is no longer worth the risk drafting as a WR1 with the lowered upside from his career TD allergy coupled by the inability to play through injuries like he used to.  Looking to next year, I don't think he will ever be more than mid WR2 statwise. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I'm going to play Justin Jefferson over him. The last time I benched him because he was limited, he went off and I lost the game because of that move. 😔

I have a Julio v. Chark decision to make.  I think Chark has a great game in a potential high scoring/back & forth game but if Julio plays, I can't bring myself to bench him.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport Reports Falcons WR Julio Jones (hamstring, questionable) is expected to play in Week 13 against the Saints.

Jones missed Week 12 with this hamstring injury but said he "feels pretty good" after running routes in practice on Friday. The Falcons get a matchup at home against the Saints this week. Despite facing a challenging opponent, Jones should return to WR1 status if he can make it through four quarters of play. He is averaging 84.6 receiving yards per game all while leaving multiple contests early this year.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Dec 6, 2020, 8:00 AM ET

Julio Jones (hamstring) did not practice on Wednesday.

This is the new normal. Jones practiced on a limited basis last Wednesday then was held out Thursday before ultimately catching 6-of-10 targets for 94 yards. That same timeline could be in our future in Week 14 against the Chargers.

Dec 9, 2020, 7:01 PM ET

Julio Jones (hamstring) didn't practice Thursday. 

A full week of practice for Julio would be the strangest thing to happen in 2020. He toughed it out last week against the Saints, catching six of ten targets for 94 yards in the Falcons' loss to New Orleans. Julio should be able to play this week against the Chargers if he's able to practice at all on Friday. 

SOURCE: Orlando Ledbetter on Twitter 

Dec 10, 2020, 2:10 PM ET

WTF.  He makes it through last weekend, and all of a sudden is OUT.  This guy is miserable to own, and has rarely paid off even when he starts.
Yep. Unless he falls into the 5th round, there's no way I'm drafting him next year. Maybe not even then. I'll let someone else deal with the headaches. 

As a Julio owner for years in keeper, it's time to say goodbye. I would rather he be out before the game for the fourth time, over having to endure his previous three 'hammy' weeks where owners were left with 20-30 yard perfomances to eat. It was fun while it lasted.

The fault here lies solely on ATL's training/coaching staff. They appear to have given Julio way to much leeway on deciding when he can play.  I think I said this awhile back in this thread but the way the Packers handled their injuries vs way ATL did is night/day difference. You might have been frustrated with GB holding Davante out earlier but this is why that's the best approach and the way the Falcons have bungled this up letting Julio decide when he practices and plays is textbook mismanagement.

Falcons interim coach Raheem Morris said Julio Jones (hamstring) is week to week.

Jones didn't practice Wednesday, putting his Week 15 status in doubt. There's not much reason for the Falcons to push him in a lost season, though there's been no talk of shutting him down. The Falcons will go with Calvin Ridley and Russell Gage in two-wide sets if Jones misses another game. Gage had seven targets and played 72 percent of snaps with Jones out of the lineup last week.

SOURCE: Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Dec 16, 2020, 3:39 PM ET

"Week to week" sounds a lot more ominous than "day to day." Is everyone planning on NOT having Julio available this weekend? 

I'm assuming that he is sitting.  But if he does play, I don't think I'd have the cajones to roll with him unless my other options were complete bottom of the barrel WR4's.

Julio Jones (hamstring) is out for Week 15 against the Bucs.

Calvin Ridley is a high-upside, top-five WR1 with Jones still out of the lineup, and Russell Gage is back on the radar as a WR3 after seeing seven targets with Julio out last week. Jones has appeared in just 9-of-14 games to this point, dealing with his pulled hammy for much of the season after initially hurting it in Week 2.

Dec 18, 2020, 10:08 AM ET

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Falcons WR Julio Jones (hamstring) "has no plans" to be shut down for the end of the 2020 season.

Jones has dealt with a nagging hamstring injury since Week 2 and is on pace for his worst NFL season by all counting stats. He's only played in nine games this year and the Falcons are already out of playoff contention. However, Jones got a PRP injection in his calf which should expedite the healing process. He clearly wants to get back on the field but it doesn't make much sense for Atlanta to let Jones return with nothing to play for. The Falcons face the Chiefs and the Bucs in their final two games so Jones would likely be a borderline WR1 if he does play either week. 

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Dec 20, 2020, 9:28 AM ET

Julio Jones (hamstring) didn't practice Wednesday.

Jones was limited to side work with the training staff. Interim coach Raheem Morris said Jones is "a little bit closer" than where he was last week. Jones has said he doesn't plan to be shut down for the final two games. The Falcons will use the entire week before making a decision on Jones's status.

SOURCE: atlantafalcons.com

Dec 23, 2020, 11:11 AM ET

If Jones does play -- who is trotting him out there?

Could be a game where ATL needs to throw to keep up, but I hesitate (as always this year with Julio) as we've seen Julio play the decoy this year, and can't afford a lackluster game in the ship.

He will be on my bench if he plays. Using Sanders who plays today and only other option is Agholar who plays tomorrow so can't take the risk.

Julio Jones (hamstring) has been ruled out for Week 16 against the Chiefs.

Jones will miss his third straight game after not practicing all week. He was closer to playing than in Week 15, but there was never much hope he was going to suit up. Jones said he has no plans to be shut down, but it wouldn't be surprising if the Falcons hold him out of their season finale. Calvin Ridley and Russell Gage will continue to pick up Jones's targets.

Dec 25, 2020, 12:10 PM ET

Week 17 Dynasty Risers and Fallers: A.J. Dillon flashes incredible upside

Excerpt:

FALLER: WR JULIO JONES, ATLANTA FALCONS

Jones’ health is the obvious concern for his long-term outlook, but Calvin Ridley’s recent performances indicate a changing of the guard. Ridley has played in six games without Jones this year, flashing as one of the league's true alpha receivers in those outings.

Calvin Ridley 2020 stats without Julio Jones

Yards per route run                 Target share              Air yards share

Value                                          2.98                                       42.8%.                         51.4%

Rank                                            2                                               1                                  1

Whenever Jones is out, Ridley looks the part as one of the best No. 1 receivers. With Jones now 32 years old and coming off his worst season by yards per game, it’s easy to see the Falcons going down a path of Ridley as their primary pass-catcher and Jones as his foil.

Heading into the off season with lots of question marks. Bounce back candidate, put a fork in him, or somewhere in between?

if his hamstring isn't hurt, he's still really darn good. guessing he will begin a decline but he's so damn athletic that he'll still be viable.

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports Matt Ryan and Julio Jones are "not going anywhere" this offseason.

The Falcons have the third fewest cap space (-$36.2 million) in the NFL right now, but moving on from Ryan or Jones wouldn't help their situation because of their dead cap numbers. The new coaching staff also probably wants these two around for the next two or so seasons before fully going into the rebuild. Coach Arthur Smith could elevate the Falcons offense if Jones (nine games) can stay healthy and if Ryan avoids falling off a cliff as a 36-year-old. Any speculation that Atlanta is rebuilding in 2021 can be put to bed.

RELATED: 

Julio Jones

SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter

Feb 2, 2021, 6:31 PM ET

I wonder if you could even get him for a 1st at this point. In season playoff push I could understand paying little extra but I het the sense this off season his value is depressed.

I wonder if you could even get him for a 1st at this point.
I don't think so.  My guess is value is mid to high second range and even then you need a team wanting to win now. Really bad time of the year to try and deal an old WR.

He's dropped all the way to a late 4th in redrafts and you can tie that into dynasty with respect to seeing how fall he has fallen in people's view for just being able to perform in 2021, less yet how much has left in the tank.

FWIW I've been gobbling him up in redrafts because I think he's still elite, fact he did as well as he did limping around on a bad hammy last year did not make me think he lost anything. Just older, more prone to injuries. Slim chance he gets dealt, solid chance Atlanta drafts a QB and possibly late in the year makes a switch which might not be conducive. But still elite with one of the best WR's in the NFL IMO in Ridley which should give Julio some space he's not used to seeing. Not sure who NFL teams will treat as the WR1 between the two.

NBC Sports' Peter King said he wouldn't be surprised if the Falcons traded Julio Jones with offseason. 

Meanwhile, NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Falcons "are at least toying with the idea of trading" Julio after receiving calls from multiple teams about a trade for the 32-year-old superstar wideout. King said the Falcons "don’t really want to trade" Julio -- a legend in Atlanta -- but his recent injury troubles and the team's salary cap crunch could necessitate such a move. Julio has a $23 million cap hit in 2021 and a $20 million hit the following two years. King mentioned the Raiders as a potential landing spot for Julio since head coach Jon Gruden can't resist veteran stars in the twilight of their careers. Receiver-needy teams like the Patriots, Titans, and Ravens could also inquire about a trade for Julio, King said. An NFL general manager told King that "building the roster has nothing to do with sentimentality for [Atlanta GM Terry Fontenot] and all to do with the current reality of the tight cap." Julio's departure from Atlanta's offense would open up the 20 percent of targets he commanded in his nine games last season -- only seven of which saw Julio at full health. Calvin Ridley, since the start of the 2019 season, has averaged 11.12 targets per game when Julio is sidelined -- about four more targets per game than when Julio is in Atlanta's lineup. Since 2019, Ridley has notched 38 more yards per game with Julio sidelined. 

RELATED: 

Calvin Ridley

SOURCE: FMIA 

Apr 26, 2021, 8:11 AM ET

Users who are viewing this thread