What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Gronk broken forearm? (1 Viewer)

Rob Gronkowski: Bill Belichick explains why he was still in the game

“You only have so many players. You only dress so many players,” he said on WEEI Radio’s “Big Show.” ”Somebody’s got to play. I think you’ve got to be careful when you’re trying to run a team, to go up to one guy and say, ‘Michael, we’re going to leave you in the game because we care about you, but Glenn, we’re going to take you out because you’re really important. You other guys go in there because if something happens to you, we don’t really care.’
I'm sorry, agree or disagree with the overall decision, this is the stupidest justification he could have possibly rolled out. He left Gronk in because he's afraid of hurting the feelings of the guy he'd have to send in to replace him? We're supposed to believe Bill Belichick, a guy with all the emotion of a robot, makes personnel decisions based on feelings? No way.And the whole "you only have so many players" idea is equally dumb. Now that Gronk's out, who's going to sub for him on PATs? Maybe you could have, you know, put that guy in for him last Sunday?

Honestly, I don't think it's a big scandal that Gronk was in, but these explanations are painful.
You're just not very bright, are you?
And you're letting your fandom overwhelm your judgment. I'll say it again more slowly: I do not think it's a scandal that Gronk was in. There may very well be a good explanation for why he was in - hell, your explanation makes some sense. Frankly, I don't think Bill should even have to offer an explanation. But since he is, I have no problem saying that those explanations are plainly stupid.

You just knew Pats fans would line up to defend Patriot football. Run it up, indeed! Never over until you lose a huge personnel advantage.

I am fine with teams trying to score as much as possible till the game is over (this ain't college ball), but it is simply stupid to keep your stars in the game that late when you are up by 28 points. Saying, "NE is paranoid of blowing another big lead," is a copout. That would be fine if the game was still in reach for their opponent, but when the Patriots got the ball back with 7:37 left and leading by 28, Brady threw the ball on 1st down (proving PatsFanCT dead wrong). Did anyone really think the Colts were gonna come back there? I doubt it. Like I said, I have no problem with a team scoring and scoring, but Gronk's injury is a correlation to the way Belichick plays. Wanna play all-out for 60 minutes, even if you are up 28 with with four minutes? That is fine, but when guys get hurt because you just had to keep going full throttle in that situation, it does call into question how smart it is.
Exactly how does having him on the sidelines for the drive, then putting him in for a PAT - a virtually automatic play - constitute "going full throttle". Did the Pats get an extra point for having him out there?

Last edited by a moderator:
I am fine with teams trying to score as much as possible till the game is over (this ain't college ball), but it is simply stupid to keep your stars in the game that late when you are up by 28 points. Saying, "NE is paranoid of blowing another big lead," is a copout. That would be fine if the game was still in reach for their opponent, but when the Patriots got the ball back with 7:37 left and leading by 28, Brady threw the ball on 1st down (proving PatsFanCT dead wrong). Did anyone really think the Colts were gonna come back there? I doubt it. Like I said, I have no problem with a team scoring and scoring, but Gronk's injury is a correlation to the way Belichick plays. Wanna play all-out for 60 minutes, even if you are up 28 with with four minutes? That is fine, but when guys get hurt because you just had to keep going full throttle in that situation, it does call into question how smart it is.
Ok, guess I didn't remember it that way. I saw a lot of running plays where the Pats normally pass, but you're wrong about everything else you just wrote.
Patriots homers like you never do. And your condescending tone is not conducive to a good discussion of the matter. HTH.
That's fine, but you're still wrong about Gronk. HTH.
Oh, so when you said I was wrong about everything else I wrote, that includes when I said, "Did anyone really think the Colts were gonna come back there? I doubt it." So, if I was wrong about that, then you are someone who thought the Colts WERE gonna come back. I mean, if I was wrong about everything else, then that must be so, since that statement was a part of "everything else." Or do you want to just admit that you were talking out of your backside since you are a gigantic homer who won't admit that any criticism of Belichick or the Patriots is valid? You decide. :thumbup: :thumbup:

I don't have a problem if they left Gronk in because they (and most teams) don't have a backup PAT unit. It's not like it would be any better if they put some random person in on the PAT team who messed up and got Gostkowski injured via a block.

However, from Belichick's comments today it sounded like he was saying that the primary reason he leaves guys in is that they don't have enough players to take everyone out, and it would be insulting to the starters that got left in if he made it look like other starters were more valuable to him. That, to me, is really bad. These aren't 8 year old kids playing the game for fun. These are grown men getting compensated very well to play a role in a billion dollar business. Worrying about their feelings because "coachy woachy likes Tom Brady more than me and it's not fair" is crazy to me.

'FreeBaGeL said:
I don't have a problem if they left Gronk in because they (and most teams) don't have a backup PAT unit. It's not like it would be any better if they put some random person in on the PAT team who messed up and got Gostkowski injured via a block.

However, from Belichick's comments today it sounded like he was saying that the primary reason he leaves guys in is that they don't have enough players to take everyone out, and it would be insulting to the starters that got left in if he made it look like other starters were more valuable to him. That, to me, is really bad. These aren't 8 year old kids playing the game for fun. These are grown men getting compensated very well to play a role in a billion dollar business. Worrying about their feelings because "coachy woachy likes Tom Brady more than me and it's not fair" is crazy to me.
:thumbup:

So what is the actual time table for his return? 4 to 6 weeks?

My league has a week 17 championship and I would love to have him back if I am lucky enough to be playing for the title. Of course without him I don’t like my chances of making to the championship.

'rick6668 said:
'PatsFanCT said:
As for Gronk coming back early....I can't see the Patriots pushing him if they have a comfortable lead in the division. Look how careful they have been with Hernandez. They will want Gronk healthy for the playoffs.

Now as for BB leaving his guys in...maybe it really wasn't the case yesterday (depending on when and where Gronk was actually hurt) but BB has been known to leave his guys in during a blowout, and it was only a matter of time before someone major was hurt. I know people want to give the excuse of the Patriots blowing leads, but lets face it, BB has been doing this since way back when the Patriots were just starting to win superbowls.

That is his style of coaching. If he gets the praise when it is successful, then he needs to get the criticism when it blows up in his face.
Name one game ever where the starters sat for the 4th quarter. Any team, any game. Since so many people are hopping on this, maybe one of you would like to research every NFL blowout, and let me know how many times the starters all sat for the 4th.Brady and co played two series in the 4th, running the ball until they had to throw.

Amazing how many people have the same stupid opinion.
This is simply not true.1st-10, NE20 12:32 T. Brady incomplete pass to the left

2nd-7, NE36 10:29 T. Brady passed to W. Welker to the left for 14 yard gain

1st-10, IND39 7:37 T. Brady passed to S. Vereen to the left for 11 yard gain

They ran the ball plenty on the last 2 drives, but they did not run the ball until they had to throw.
Looks like you just picked out what you wanted to try making your point.Here are all the Pats plays in the 4th quarter.

1-10-NE20 (12:32) T.Brady pass incomplete deep left to B.Lloyd. IND-C.Redding was injured during the play.

2-10-NE20 (12:26) S.Ridley right end pushed ob at NE 22 for 2 yards (P.Angerer).

3-8-NE22 (11:49) (No Huddle, Shotgun) T.Brady pass short middle to R.Gronkowski to NE 33 for 11 yards (A.Bethea).

1-10-NE33 (11:11) S.Ridley right tackle to NE 36 for 3 yards (D.Butler; F.Moala).

2-7-NE36 (10:29) T.Brady pass short left to W.Welker ran ob at 50 for 14 yards. NE 12-Brady 51st career 300-yard game, tying Dan Fouts for 6th most all-time.

1-10-50 (9:55) J.Edelman right end to IND 3 for 47 yards (A.Bethea). reverse

1-3-IND3 (9:09) S.Ridley up the middle for 3 yards, TOUCHDOWN.

S.Gostkowski extra point is GOOD, Center-D.Aiken, Holder-Z.Mesko.

IND 24 NE 52, Plays: 7 Yards: 80 Possession: 3:27.

1-10-IND39 (7:37) (Shotgun) T.Brady pass short left to S.Vereen to IND 28 for 11 yards (J.Freeman).

1-10-IND28 (6:52) S.Vereen left tackle to IND 29 for -1 yards (D.Freeney).

2-11-IND29 (6:15) S.Vereen left guard to IND 25 for 4 yards (R.Mathews; J.Freeman).

3-7-IND25 (5:32) (Shotgun) T.Brady pass short middle to W.Welker to IND 12 for 13 yards (D.Butler).

1-10-IND12 (4:48) S.Vereen left end pushed ob at IND 7 for 5 yards (J.Freeman).

2-5-IND7 (4:43) S.Vereen up the middle to IND 4 for 3 yards (K.Conner).

3-2-IND4 (3:59) S.Vereen left end for 4 yards, TOUCHDOWN.

S.Gostkowski extra point is GOOD, Center-D.Aiken, Holder-Z.Mesko. NE 59 points ties franchise record (10/18/09 vs TEN, 59-0) NE 3-Gostkowski 8 PAT in game ties franchise record.

IND 24 NE 59, Plays: 7 Yards: 39 Possession: 3:42.

1-10-NE42 (2:17) NE 15-Mallett now at QB. S.Vereen left guard to NE 42 for no gain (C.Geathers; K.Conner).

2-10-NE42 (2:00) S.Vereen right guard to NE 43 for 1 yard (L.Guy).

3-9-NE43 (1:23) S.Vereen right end to NE 43 for no gain (D.Butler).

4-9-NE43 :-)41) Z.Mesko punts 53 yards to IND 4, Center-D.Aiken, downed by NE.

That's 5 total passes for the entire quarter, and all but the first one short.

Guess some people just love to complain about the Pats.

'Uwe Forever said:
'PatsFanCT said:
'Uwe Forever said:

“You only have so many players. You only dress so many players,” he said on WEEI Radio’s “Big Show.” ”Somebody’s got to play. I think you’ve got to be careful when you’re trying to run a team, to go up to one guy and say, ‘Michael, we’re going to leave you in the game because we care about you, but Glenn, we’re going to take you out because you’re really important. You other guys go in there because if something happens to you, we don’t really care.’
I'm sorry, agree or disagree with the overall decision, this is the stupidest justification he could have possibly rolled out. He left Gronk in because he's afraid of hurting the feelings of the guy he'd have to send in to replace him? We're supposed to believe Bill Belichick, a guy with all the emotion of a robot, makes personnel decisions based on feelings? No way.And the whole "you only have so many players" idea is equally dumb. Now that Gronk's out, who's going to sub for him on PATs? Maybe you could have, you know, put that guy in for him last Sunday?

Honestly, I don't think it's a big scandal that Gronk was in, but these explanations are painful.
And you're letting your fandom overwhelm your judgment. I'll say it again more slowly: I do not think it's a scandal that Gronk was in. There may very well be a good explanation for why he was in - hell, your explanation makes some sense. Frankly, I don't think Bill should even have to offer an explanation. But since he is, I have no problem saying that those explanations are plainly stupid.
He wasn't justifying anything, or making excuses, and never said anything about hurting players feelings. He was mocking the idea that he should have sat Gronk because of the situation.Also, as he said, tell him which player is going to get hurt, and he'll take him out.

'Ghost Rider said:
'PatsFanCT said:
'Ghost Rider said:
'PatsFanCT said:
'Ghost Rider said:
Ok, guess I didn't remember it that way. I saw a lot of running plays where the Pats normally pass, but you're wrong about everything else you just wrote.
Patriots homers like you never do. And your condescending tone is not conducive to a good discussion of the matter. HTH.
That's fine, but you're still wrong about Gronk. HTH.
Oh, so when you said I was wrong about everything else I wrote, that includes when I said, "Did anyone really think the Colts were gonna come back there? I doubt it." So, if I was wrong about that, then you are someone who thought the Colts WERE gonna come back. I mean, if I was wrong about everything else, then that must be so, since that statement was a part of "everything else." Or do you want to just admit that you were talking out of your backside since you are a gigantic homer who won't admit that any criticism of Belichick or the Patriots is valid? You decide. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Actually, I was wrong about thinking I was wrong. :thumbup:

'rick6668 said:
'PatsFanCT said:
As for Gronk coming back early....I can't see the Patriots pushing him if they have a comfortable lead in the division. Look how careful they have been with Hernandez. They will want Gronk healthy for the playoffs.

Now as for BB leaving his guys in...maybe it really wasn't the case yesterday (depending on when and where Gronk was actually hurt) but BB has been known to leave his guys in during a blowout, and it was only a matter of time before someone major was hurt. I know people want to give the excuse of the Patriots blowing leads, but lets face it, BB has been doing this since way back when the Patriots were just starting to win superbowls.

That is his style of coaching. If he gets the praise when it is successful, then he needs to get the criticism when it blows up in his face.
Name one game ever where the starters sat for the 4th quarter. Any team, any game. Since so many people are hopping on this, maybe one of you would like to research every NFL blowout, and let me know how many times the starters all sat for the 4th.Brady and co played two series in the 4th, running the ball until they had to throw.

They ran the ball plenty on the last 2 drives, but they did not run the ball until they had to throw.
Looks like you just picked out what you wanted to try making your point.Here are all the Pats plays in the 4th quarter.

1-10-NE20 (12:32) T.Brady pass incomplete deep left to B.Lloyd. IND-C.Redding was injured during the play.

2-10-NE20 (12:26) S.Ridley right end pushed ob at NE 22 for 2 yards (P.Angerer).

3-8-NE22 (11:49) (No Huddle, Shotgun) T.Brady pass short middle to R.Gronkowski to NE 33 for 11 yards (A.Bethea).

1-10-NE33 (11:11) S.Ridley right tackle to NE 36 for 3 yards (D.Butler; F.Moala).

2-7-NE36 (10:29) T.Brady pass short left to W.Welker ran ob at 50 for 14 yards. NE 12-Brady 51st career 300-yard game, tying Dan Fouts for 6th most all-time.

1-10-IND39 (7:37) (Shotgun) T.Brady pass short left to S.Vereen to IND 28 for 11 yards (J.Freeman).

2-11-IND29 (6:15) S.Vereen left guard to IND 25 for 4 yards (R.Mathews; J.Freeman).

3-7-IND25 (5:32) (Shotgun) T.Brady pass short middle to W.Welker to IND 12 for 13 yards (D.Butler).

S.Gostkowski extra point is GOOD, Center-D.Aiken, Holder-Z.Mesko. NE 59 points ties franchise record (10/18/09 vs TEN, 59-0) NE 3-Gostkowski 8 PAT in game ties franchise record.

1-10-NE42 (2:17) NE 15-Mallett now at QB. S.Vereen left guard to NE 42 for no gain (C.Geathers; K.Conner).

No, I was just complaining about you. You decided to just make #### up about them "running the ball until they had to throw."

I pointed out three plays where they did not run the ball until they had to throw in the 4th quarter.

Notice what I said right after that, "They ran the ball plenty on the last 2 drives, but they did not run the ball until they had to throw."

I didn't need to include all the plays because my point wasn't that they didn't run the ball at all, my point was that you were just making #### up to try and prove your point.

'rick6668 said:
'PatsFanCT said:

No, I was just complaining about you. You decided to just make #### up about them "running the ball until they had to throw."

I pointed out three plays where they did not run the ball until they had to throw in the 4th quarter.

Notice what I said right after that, "They ran the ball plenty on the last 2 drives, but they did not run the ball until they had to throw."

I didn't need to include all the plays because my point wasn't that they didn't run the ball at all, my point was that you were just making #### up to try and prove your point.
Whatever makes you feel better dude. Everyone can read the full play-by-play and see for themselves how the Pats weren't trying to "Run up the score".

Well, my work here is done. I'm glad I was able to enlighten those who have actual common sense. The others? Well, they'll just never get it and continue to hate.

'rick6668 said:
'PatsFanCT said:

Whatever makes you feel better dude. Everyone can read the full play-by-play and see for themselves how the Pats weren't trying to "Run up the score".
Whatever makes you feel better. I never said anything about, "Running up the score". You're barking up the wrong tree. Everyone can read the thread as see who was :own3d:

How 'bout you guys get a room so this can be for any actual Gronk news that might happen? TIA.
Good Post.I want to know what the chances are Gronk comes back in 3 weeks vs 6 weeks. If Hernandez is going to play and if so will he be 100%. Or is it a shark move for those TE depraved to pickup Schiancoe.What about some waiver replacements?Gerratt Graham - break out game last week. More to come or one time deal?Mercedes Lewis - with Chad Henne at the helm now - maybe he is viable?Any others flying low under the radar?

'PatsFanCT said:
Some people just don't get it. the XP is the simplest play in all of football. Every team has their XP unit on the field for every XP. Do you guys really think the star players for your favorite team that are on the XP team are on the sideline in a blowout? You're nuts. This isn't about Gronk breaking his arm on a simple XP, it's your hate of BB and the Pats. Why can't you just admit it?Let's play your game for a moment.The Pats are up 35 and take all their starters out in the 3rd or 4th. Now you have your 2nd and 3rd stringers playing against the other teams starters. That is when you have injury risks. Now the backup guard, tackle, etc gets hurt, so when your actual starter gets hurt in a game, you have to start a 3rd stringer to protect the QB's blind side.Point is, football players play football, and you can't predict or worry about injuries. They happen to every team. There was absolutely no reason to bench Gronk on that XP play. None, zero. So get off your high horses and go get a reality check.
:lmao: at a bling homer dismissing criticism because its all just BB hate. Your "logic" is absurd. Protect backups by playing starters?! :lmao: You've done a ####ty job of lineup selection if your record setting TE is irreplaceable on a ####### XP.

'Uwe Forever said:
'PatsFanCT said:
'Uwe Forever said:

He wasn't justifying anything, or making excuses, and never said anything about hurting players feelings. He was mocking the idea that he should have sat Gronk because of the situation.Also, as he said, tell him which player is going to get hurt, and he'll take him out.
I'll tell him 2-3 players that are worth protecting with a 0% chance getting hurt while on the sideline. They should probably have Brady hold for FGs to make sure the punter or backup QB doesn't get hurt and can't come in if Brady gets hurt. And of course if Brady did get hurt holding you sheep will line up to defend BB and scoff at criticism as just BB hate.

'rick6668 said:
'PatsFanCT said:

:lmao: classic child's reaction to being proven flat out wrong. Insult and leave. :lmao: So helpful to your argument and points to your ability to think about things critically or objectively. You're as bad as Scuentist or 66 as mule stubborn, blind, useless homers.

'rick6668 said:
'PatsFanCT said:

Whatever makes you feel better. I never said anything about, "Running up the score". You're barking up the wrong tree. Everyone can read the thread as see who was :own3d:
:goodposting:

'PatsFanCT said:
Name one game ever where the starters sat for the 4th quarter. Any team, any game.
Here is one where starters got sat before the 4th quarter. 2005 Seahawks vs Eagles. At halftime the Seahawks were up winning 35 to 0. After halftime Shaun Alexander never came back in the game, and Matt Hasselbeck was replaced in the middle of the 3rd quarter by Seneca Wallace. Other starters were sat too. I remember this game, because I owned Alexander, and I was ticked that he didn't come back on the field to score me more fantasy points after halftime.

'PatsFanCT said:
Name one game ever where the starters sat for the 4th quarter. Any team, any game.
Here is one where starters got sat before the 4th quarter. 2005 Seahawks vs Eagles. At halftime the Seahawks were up winning 35 to 0. After halftime Shaun Alexander never came back in the game, and Matt Hasselbeck was replaced in the middle of the 3rd quarter by Seneca Wallace. Other starters were sat too. I remember this game, because I owned Alexander, and I was ticked that he didn't come back on the field to score me more fantasy points after halftime.
Same thing happened with the Broncos in a 1998 game where they utterly destroyed the Eagles in the first half:http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/199810040den.htmI remember Terrell Davis barely playing in the second half (if at all).

'Ghost Rider said:
The argument is whether Belichick made a bad call or not. Do you agree that the chances of a player suffering an injury on a PAT are extremely low? How often does it happen? There's no point in being that risk averse - Gronk didn't play that drive, came in, and a fluke injury occurred. It was a fluke - Gronk has never suffered a forearm break, and he's never missed an NFL game before. I can't see how this was anything but just an unfortunate set of circumstances. The expectation is that Gronk doesn't get injured on that play. BB has been keeping his foot on the gas for 6 years and a player finally suffers a major injury. The Patriots have been to two Superbowls and dominated a ton of teams in that stretch. Sure, Gronk is out 4-6 weeks, but the overall benefit of BBs strategy has clearly been a huge net positive. I don't foresee BB changing his strategy as a result of this.

Any actual news? Like where and what type of break we are dealing with here? How bad is the swelling? Can he grip a ball?
nope...just a bunch of Pats fans that are pissed that someone may question their team.
Not a Pats fan but why talk about running up the score in a game with three returns for TDs?I'll tune back in again in two weeks when some other team puts up 50 it will be crickets in here. Then a Pat's fan will accuse them of running of the score just to point out the hypocrisy. Then you guys will get into another pissing contest.I lost Gronk from my fantasy team and that ain't good... but he was hurt on a PAT after sitting out the drive... I'm not happy but I'm not blaming anyone.

Anyone that whines about running up the score in any of the pro sports is a whiny punk, they are paid professionals, and if they don't want to be embarrassed then do your job and stop someone. It isn't on the other teams coaching staff to say I think they have had enough. Now if we are talking college, or high school sports that is a totally different thing.

FWIW: Drayton Florence had the same injury in Week 2 and was able to return to action for the first time today. :shrug:
what is this...week 11? so a 9 week time-table? That would put Gronk back in time for the Super Bowl, right?
He'll be fully healed on his couch with Brady sitting next to him saying "Pass the popcorn...how many times do you think Julius Peppers will sack Schaub?"
Brady's reply would be "Zero. You Idiot. Peppers and Bears got knocked out of the playoffs in the wild card round."
This is funny coming from any obvious Bears fan. Have you seen your team play against good NFL teams? If they keep this up they will find themselves not even making the playoffs.

Anyone that whines about running up the score in any of the pro sports is a whiny punk, they are paid professionals, and if they don't want to be embarrassed then do your job and stop someone. It isn't on the other teams coaching staff to say I think they have had enough. Now if we are talking college, or high school sports that is a totally different thing.
I totally agree. I have said for years that there is no such thing as running the score up in the NFL. But that doesn't mean it is always smart to leave your best players out there in the very late stages of a huge blowout, generally speaking. Sure, players can get hurt on any play, but if your team is so good one week that they can win by a ton and not have to have your studs out there in the last few minutes of a game, that is a good thing, no?

(FFChamps)Albert Breer from NFL.com suspects that Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski will attempt to return from injury as soon as Week 14. Gronkowski underwent surgery to repair his broken left forearm on Monday.Analysis: That's probably a little unrealistic given that Gronk's original timetable for a recovery was 4-to-6 weeks. The return of Aaron Hernandez (sprained ankle) this week should make things a little easier for the Patriots but obviously they'd still like to have Gronkowski back as soon as possible.
(Rotoworld)NFL.com's Albert Breer expects Rob Gronkowski (broken left forearm) to push for a Week 14 return.Analysis: The Patriots have a critical two-game swing with the Texans and 49ers beginning in Week 14, but that would have Gronk missing just two games despite being given a 4-8 week timetable. It's doubtful he'll be ready for Houston, but if he is, it means he'd be a go for the fantasy playoffs. We would say a clearer idea of Gronk's timeline should emerge in the coming days, but then again, we're talking about the Patriots. What we do know is that Gronk can be safely ruled out for Thanksgiving.
So, any possibilities to this? Would be great to have him back for week 1 of most of our fantasy playoff games. However, I seriously doubt it.

(FFChamps)Albert Breer from NFL.com suspects that Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski will attempt to return from injury as soon as Week 14. Gronkowski underwent surgery to repair his broken left forearm on Monday.Analysis: That's probably a little unrealistic given that Gronk's original timetable for a recovery was 4-to-6 weeks. The return of Aaron Hernandez (sprained ankle) this week should make things a little easier for the Patriots but obviously they'd still like to have Gronkowski back as soon as possible.
(Rotoworld)NFL.com's Albert Breer expects Rob Gronkowski (broken left forearm) to push for a Week 14 return.Analysis: The Patriots have a critical two-game swing with the Texans and 49ers beginning in Week 14, but that would have Gronk missing just two games despite being given a 4-8 week timetable. It's doubtful he'll be ready for Houston, but if he is, it means he'd be a go for the fantasy playoffs. We would say a clearer idea of Gronk's timeline should emerge in the coming days, but then again, we're talking about the Patriots. What we do know is that Gronk can be safely ruled out for Thanksgiving.
So, any possibilities to this? Would be great to have him back for week 1 of most of our fantasy playoff games. However, I seriously doubt it.
If he does come back that fast, I bet it's as more a decoy than anything else, and Hernandez will dominate.

Thank you for posting actual news about Gronk. Following this thread waiting for news has been a headache thus far. People should take their disagreements out of the pool imo.Anyways, it really depends on the severity of the break. The initial assessment of 4 to 8 weeks came almost the day after the game, right? If there was a lot of internal bleeding (which is common regardless of severity), it might've been hard to get a true xray of the break. I had that happen when I broke my arm, couldn't get a clear picture for a few days.If it is a hairline fracture (which it must be if he has any optimism about returning just 2 weeks after), I'd say it is within the realm of possibility that he plays. The bone should be well set by then, but probably not back to full strength. If he waits 4 weeks, the chance of re-injury would drop dramatically. I'm not sure what the official word is on when that point is where the chance of re-injury drops, maybe a doctor could weigh in?Anyways, some pain pills and some sort of protective arm guard and he could be back out there week 14. I'd love to see it happen. Not sure if I would play him that week though.

If he does come back that fast, I bet it's as more a decoy than anything else, and Hernandez will dominate.
If i were the Patriots, i'd keep him out as long as possible before the playoffs. There isn't really a pressing need

If i were the Patriots, i'd keep him out as long as possible before the playoffs. There isn't really a pressing need
I wouldn't bring him back too soon, but to say there isn't a pressing need is not true. Sure, they have the AFC East locked up, but that game against Houston could have a huge say in whether or not they have to play in the first round or get a bye and maybe even home field advantage.

Gronk was dropped in a couple of my leagues. I wonder if it's worth wasting a roster spot on him in the hopes of using him week 16.

You aren't likely to get a lot of news out of Ne and you simply can't play him until the week after he actually plays a game. There is no news right now but perhaps we will start hearing about him returning to limited practices next week. I am holding onto him. The Patriots don't hold players out just to give them more rest and the Patriots will likely be in the hunt for a first round bye right up intil the end of theyear anyways.

'Air Stich said:
Gronk was dropped in a couple of my leagues. I wonder if it's worth wasting a roster spot on him in the hopes of using him week 16.
Early on in the year Hernandez was dropped in one of my leagues and I jumped on him in just the same way. Timed out perfectly! I'm doing the same now holding onto Gronk since I'm already used to that IR space.eta Previous poster is right, and we're basically looking at one week production if any. It'll be a big week to have him though.

Hmmm, I traded him away before he got hurt and he got dropped. I know this is too specific about my team, but I will share anyway in terms of where I value him. I am thinking about dumping Hartline as it is a start 2 WR league and I have Marshall/Cruz locked in (got Cruz as part of the Gronk trade) and have Harvin/Shorts on the bench. I don't think I would start Hartline at any point and honestly with his last couple weeks, he is probably available next week anyway. Thinking about a potentially healthy Gronk even for just week 16 might be worth the try since I can get a bye if I win this week making week 14 not matter. Its kind of a toss up because I agree with the posts above that I couldn't start him the first week as he could easily be a decoy and not even play. Belicheck tends to inactivate people (see Hernandez), so not sure Gronk would be active without playing, but I have enough decent players that it would be hard playing him the first week back.

'Air Stich said:
Early on in the year Hernandez was dropped in one of my leagues and I jumped on him in just the same way. Timed out perfectly! I'm doing the same now holding onto Gronk since I'm already used to that IR space.eta Previous poster is right, and we're basically looking at one week production if any. It'll be a big week to have him though.
It also depends on who you have to drop but the fact that NE hasn't placed him on IR leads me to believe they're at least hoping for him to return before the end of the regular season so he's definitely worth a stash if you have the roster room. They originally said it would take 4-6 weeks for him to come back so in a best case scenario situation he could even be back week 15 though I don't see NE rushing him if they keep winning.Another scenario is belichick playing the "listing" game like he loves to do so much and listing him as questionable starting around week 14 with no intention of activating him driving fantasy owners nuts.We will probably have no idea until about an hour before his first game back.

With the division title in hand, he won't be back until the playoffs. No point in rushing him back when Hernandez had 100yds receiving and fills his role nicely.

With the division title in hand, he won't be back until the playoffs. No point in rushing him back when Hernandez had 100yds receiving and fills his role nicely.
This doesn't make any sense. Hern and Gronk are two very different players. That comment is like saying there is no point in rushing Jordy Nelson back from his hamstring injury since Cobb is healthy. Hern is a joker that they move around the formation to get match-ups while Gronk is a road-grading blocker who can quick release and run the seam route. Both of them are at max potential when BOTH are healthy.

Patriots are also still gunning for a 1st-round bye and HF advantage.

Given that getting the bye roughly doubles a team's chances of winning the Super Bowl I think they'll play anyone who's healthy enough to go.

Patriots are also still gunning for a 1st-round bye and HF advantage.Given that getting the bye roughly doubles a team's chances of winning the Super Bowl I think they'll play anyone who's healthy enough to go.
:goodposting: With Baltimore losing, three teams at 9-3. NE beat Denver, Indy and lost to Baltimore. Baltimore has the Redskins, Giants, Cincy and Denver left, so I don't see them winning all 4, wouldn't be surprised if they lose 3 of 4 with the way they have been playing the last 3 weeks. Denver has Baltimore and 3 cake games. NE has Houston, SF and 2 cake games. If Gronk can play, no way is he not playing. I am betting Denver goes 13-3, so only way for NE to get a bye is to go 4-0 (guaranteed bye) or beat Houston lose 1 and hope Houston loses 2 more (say if NE loses to SF). While possible, I don't think Houston goes 1-2 against Indy twice and Minny.ETA: If NE goes 4-0, they could easily get HF advantage (Balt will lose 1) if Indy wins 1 of 2 against Houston.

Too early to count out Gronk, unless you are absolutely desperate he's worth holding onto. Very possible he could play week 15-17. If he doesn't it's only one dead roster spot. Way too much upside to not take the risk IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread