What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Julian Edelman going forward (4 Viewers)

I read an article the other day (can't find it now, of course) that said Edelman was going to have to run routes differently, cutting and pivoting on a different point on his foot. He also will be wearing special custom shoes for the occasion to redistribute the weight distribution on his injured foot.

Edelamn has said he will be going all out, but I am not sure we will see the Edelman from the beginning of the season until next year. I would not expect similar YAC totals since he will not be able to cut like he did before straight out of the gate. He still could get a lot of receptions, but he might only averaged 7 or 8 yards a catch. Maybe 8 or 9 catches for 60-70 yards with 50/50 chance of a TD.

Near the end of the season I moved Amendola and Jimmy Graham for Jules in a TE premium league.

Edelman stock on the way up.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Julian Edelman underwent a second surgery on his previously broken foot, but is "on track" to return for training camp.
It was reported in February that Edelman wouldn't need a second procedure after breaking his foot in Week 10. He returned for the playoffs, but was nowhere near 100 percent. Edelman is in a "big boot." Foot injuries aren't anything to take lightly, but Edelman is one of the tougher -- even if more injury-prone -- players in the league. As of now, expect him to be ready well in advance of Week 1. But we're not going to rule out any setbacks.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter 
May 11 - 3:29 PM

The Boston Herald's Jeff Howe said "optimism is very high" Julian Edelman (foot) will be ready for training camp.
This echoes a report from Adam Schefter, who said Edelman is "on track" for camp. Edelman was able to come back for the playoffs after surgery to repair a broken foot he suffered Week 10, but he was clearly less than 100 percent. Hopefully the second procedure he underwent this offseason helps him gets him back to full health. While Edelman should be expected back for camp, foot injuries can be tricky. It is not out of the question he suffers a setback.

Source: CSN New England 
May 17 - 12:05 PM

What are people expecting from him this season? 10 targets per game again? Big question will be TDs. He scored 10 on almost 200 receptions the previous 2 years and then, bam, 7 on 61 rec last year. With an ADP of WR18 in PPR and WR20 in 0ppr, people seem to be factoring in a return to the previous rate.

The other risk of course being Brady hitting that cliff. He's getting pretty old.

Edelman looks like a fixture as a red zone target, which makes his touchdown potential a little less volatile than other wide receivers because it's systemic,  not the result of a broken or successful play. 

He's the only wide receiver on the field in some of their big packages.  It's really hard to defend gronk and Edelman in a short area with a power back.   

I expect Bennett to get involved in the red area too, but chandler was already getting some of those looks, so it shouldn't take too much away.   

Most of his success last season overlapped with Lewis having a successful season,  too, so it's not like one necessarily hurts the other.  More like a rising tide lifting all boats.   

Losing Brady for four games won't be great for him,  so you may suffer a bit without him to start the year.   But with little in the backfield or at wide receiver to fight for targets,  gronk and Edelman should be the focus of the offense once again. 

One thing I've noticed about NE post Moss, the offense feeds off itself. When its clicking everyone makes everyone else better. Jules is going to be a crucial part of that as Bostonfred said, hes the guy, hes the WR1. I think he, Gronk, Lewis and Bennett are gonna be the main unit. Gonna be a shame if Brady misses 4 games, this season would have been better than 2011 imo.

Last edited by a moderator:
According to CSN New England, "sources have expressed confidence" that Julian Edelman (foot surgery) will be ready for training camp.
Both the Boston Herald and ESPN's Adam Schefter had similar reports last month. Edelman underwent a second foot surgery in April after he "didn't feel comfortable ... cutting to his left and pushing off the outside of the foot" during pre-OTAs workouts. Edelman does seem highly likely to be ready for Week 1, but his fantasy prospects carry more risk than usual entering the season.

Source: CSN New England 
Jun 2 - 1:54 PM

Edelman seems to be significantly underrated this year, at least by FBG staff. They currently have him ranked as WR22 in PPR, and projected for 78-94 receptions per 16 games (with an average of 86) among the 4 guys who do projections.

Edelman was WR7 last year in ppg (min 8 games), and WR16 & WR15 the previous two years. New England's top underneath receiver (Welker or Edelman) has been on a 100+ reception pace in 8 of the past 9 years (3 out of 3 for Edelman, 5 out of 6 for Welker with the one exception being 2010 when he was coming off an ACL injury).

Are people worried about his foot injury? About Brady's suspension? About the addition of Martellus Bennett?

Waldman is the lowest on Edelman (ranking him at WR34), and says that he's worried about Bennett, citing Welker's poor 2010 season when Gronk & Hernandez were rookies. But that was also Welker's ACL-recovery year, and Welker's best statistical season came in 2011 when the Gronk/Hernandez duo were at their peak.

Jason Wood is the next lowest on Edelman (WR28), saying that the Patriots love to spread the ball around and mentioning the addition of Chris Hogan. But we have now been through 9 straight years with Welker or Edelman piling up receptions for the Patriots, with an average of 116 rec per 16 games for Welker and then 106 rec per 16 games for Edelman.

Setting aside his foot injury, I think I'd put Edelman somewhere in the WR10-15 range in PPR (among guys like Keenan Allen, Mike Evans, Brandon Marshall, and Amari Cooper). I don't have a great sense of how much to downgrade him for the foot injury, but it seems like probably not enough to put him below that range.

Peyton manning 539 

Brett Favre 508 

Tom Brady 428

The top running back for the pats had 49 rushing attempts and 50 pass targets and scored 2 tds in a season when Brady was a top mvp candidate for most of the season. 

I don't know if Brady will have a great season or not,  but he calls the play at the line of scrimmage,  and I would be surprised if he audibled to a lot of runs on the goal line.   

Edelman had 7 tds in 9 games last year,  a career high, because they were able to use the quick pass so effectively.  And while gronk and Bennett are clearly bigger targets, defenses have to pick someone to cover.  The only thing that held Edelman out of the top tier of wrs before was his lack of touchdowns.  I think it's reasonable to expect him to get about 8 this year, which would make him a low end wr1 with anything close to his normal yard and catch numbers. 

Edelman is getting discounted for a combination of reasons:

- Required a second surgery and may miss training camp entirely
- Injury history
- Brady suspension
- Belief by some that age and poor OL play will catch up to Brady
- Addition of Bennett (and to a lesser extend other guys that could take targets)
- Potential better health of Gronk and Lewis

If Edelman (and others) stay healthy, Edelman should still see 8-10 targets a week and again be a Top 10 WR in PPR leagues. Since taking over for Welker, he's averaged 9.6 targets and 6.6 receptions per game. Projected over 16 games, his numbers since becoming a starter (3 seasons) would be 106-1116-7.

I'll happily slot him in as my WR3/4 and just wait it out in my dynasty.  Hopefully he does the opposite of last season puts together a nice playoff run for us.  I can find other guys to fill in until he and Brady get rolling again.  Redraft, I don't discount him either.  I think he's going to win some people some money this year.  A true target hog.  

I was lucky enough to pair him with the Black Unicorn.  I think those guys are a sneaky handcuff to one another in that if Edelman get hurt again, Bennett will see the bump in targets.  

Traded Jimmy Graham for him at the end of last season, start 3-5 WR, 1-3 TE, TE Premium PPR.

More than happy with the deal.

Edelman returned to practice today on a limited basis. Participated individual drills but not in scrimmage. 

Everyone start panicing, also keep me updated while I'm at work

Julian Edelman has gone off to the side with disgust, threw helmet. Trainer Jim Whalen looking at lower left leg as Edelman sits on cart.
Update 1: Marc Bertrand reported that he walked all the way back to Gillette from the practice field, didn't use the cart.

Spent 15 minutes on a cart with a trainer and then walked off the field to the training room without assistance. Sounds like the foot injury acting up again, but that is just me speculating.

That was my thought. Hope he didn't refracture it.
This... guessing the helmet throw and ensuing frustration is a bad sign, however. NOt saying he's fractured it per-se, but very obviously he's not close to where he wants to be. I'd be very nervous taking him right now.... glad i'm not drafting for a couple weeks. 

Anarchy99 said:
Spent 15 minutes on a cart with a trainer and then walked off the field to the training room without assistance. Sounds like the foot injury acting up again, but that is just me speculating.
... if he's walking on it than maybe just an ankle? Don't think they would have him walking if there were a chance he re-fractured the foot .. or a blew out a knee.

Julian Edelman (foot) said he "feels good physically," and blamed his down numbers on there being so many options in the Patriots' offense.

"That’s part of this offense," Edelman said. "We’ve got a lot of good weapons. There are going to be some days when it’s yours, and some days it’s for other people. That’s how it goes here." Edelman has nine catches for just 65 yards in two games with Tom Brady and has yet to score a touchdown this season. He has a prime matchup against Steelers rookie slot CB Sean Davis this week.

Source: Boston Herald 
Oct 21 - 9:44 AM

Network's Heath Evans doesn't expect a contract dispute between the Patriots and Julian Edelman.
Edelman's four-year, $17 million contract will expire after 2017. He's around the same age Wes Welker was when he left New England for a bigger payday in Denver, but Evans, a former Patriot himself, doesn't expect that to happen with Edelman. "I don’t think we’re going to see that with Jules," said Evans. "I think Jules embraces the grind-it-out-for-the-common-good mentality." The presence of Brandin Cooks and Rob Gronkowski could eat into Edelman's workload this year but he's still Tom Brady's safety valve and a good bet to return WR2 value in fantasy.

Source: Boston Herald 
May 21 - 10:05 AM

Hes gonna make roughly 20 million over the next 3 years, on any other team he would be a slot receiver. A really bad team might pay him close to 20 mil in that frame, but I dont see many teams paying him more than that, plus he gets to win another ring  :thumbup:

Hes gonna make roughly 20 million over the next 3 years, on any other team he would be a slot receiver. A really bad team might pay him close to 20 mil in that frame, but I dont see many teams paying him more than that, plus he gets to win another ring  :thumbup:
Agree. Maybe a slight hometown discount but not much. Gets to play where he's happy and comfortable, with a great franchise. No brainer. 

Adam Schefter reports the Patriots "suspect" Julian Edelman suffered a torn ACL in Friday night's third preseason game.

Edelman will undergo an MRI on Saturday to determine the exact nature of the injury. Edelman caught three passes for 52 yards on the Patriots' opening drive in their tuneup for the regular season, but Edelman planted his right foot to make a cut and immediately had his knee buckle a bit. Non-contact knee injuries are rarely ever followed by good news. Edelman is shaping up to be lost for the season. Chris Hogan was the biggest beneficiary Friday night, and he and Brandin Cooks would both stand to gain quite a bit if Edelman misses the year.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

If I am rebuilding I would probably look to get Edelman added into some sort of deal, or trade a VET for Edelman and a pick, something like that.

He may very well come back and be just fine for next year and still have some value.  If not, not a big deal, he isn't going to cost much in a deal.

Adam Schefter‏ @AdamSchefter 8m8 minutes ago

Patriots WR Julian Edelman is facing a four-game suspension for violating the NFL’s performance enhancing substances policy, league sources tell @FieldYates and me. Suspension is under appeal.

He was WR24 on PPR ADP right now.

That seems high, before this news.  He was WR21 in 2016, and it took 159 targets to get there.  32 years old, coming off ACL, now a PED suspension, with Mathews, Hogan, Gronk, and two pass-catching backs, I don't see how he can possibly live up to a draft slot even close to WR24.  

He was WR24 on PPR ADP right now.

That seems high, before this news.  He was WR21 in 2016, and it took 159 targets to get there.  32 years old, coming off ACL, now a PED suspension, with Mathews, Hogan, Gronk, and two pass-catching backs, I don't see how he can possibly live up to a draft slot even close to WR24.  
It depends on individual leagues. In PPR, JE was WR14 in 2016. It's hard to real figure out what Edelman's baseline targets have been since becoming a starter, as a key cog in the NE offense is almost always hurt. That being said, he's average 9.7 targets per game in the four years he has been a starter. That's 155 targets over a full season. Prior to the suspension news, I would hae advised targeting Edelman in PPR leagues as I think he would have fallen more than he should have. That may still be the case if people let him fall a ton after the suspension news.

Matthews could be a good fit and another red zone threat for the Pats, but we have nothing to base that on given that he hasn't even been in a full contact drill in NE yet.

Users who are viewing this thread