What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Julian Edelman going forward (4 Viewers)

It depends on individual leagues. In PPR, JE was WR14 in 2016. It's hard to real figure out what Edelman's baseline targets have been since becoming a starter, as a key cog in the NE offense is almost always hurt. That being said, he's average 9.7 targets per game in the four years he has been a starter. That's 155 targets over a full season. Prior to the suspension news, I would hae advised targeting Edelman in PPR leagues as I think he would have fallen more than he should have. That may still be the case if people let him fall a ton after the suspension news.

Matthews could be a good fit and another red zone threat for the Pats, but we have nothing to base that on given that he hasn't even been in a full contact drill in NE yet.
Eric Decker and Jeremy Maclin, two vets considered washed, are both younger than Edelman, Maclin by two years.  Matthews as a fit is unknown, but he's not an unknown quantity.  He's had success, and it's been in a role that directly puts him in competition with Edelman.  

Julian Edelman's appeal of his four-game suspension was denied by the NFL.

He'll miss games against the Texans, Jaguars, Lions, and Dolphins. Rob Gronkowski will handle most of the Weeks 1-4 receiving load, with Chris Hogan in the No. 1 wideout role. We may also see Rex Burkhead used frequently in the slot. Edelman's four-game ban still has a chance to render him a value in fantasy drafts. He should return immediately as a WR2 beginning in Week 5.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter 

Jul 3 - 7:20 PM

Julian Edelman's four-game suspension has ended.

His return could not come at a better time for a Patriots passing attack which was scuffling even before Rob Gronkowski went down with an ankle injury. Edelman should immediately settle in as Tom Brady's top target and will be a top-30 option against the Colts on Thursday night.

Oct 1 - 9:19 AM

Julian Edelman caught 7-of-9 targets for 57 yards in the Patriots' Week 5 win over the Colts.

Making his first appearance since the 2016 season — he was interrupted by an ACL tear then PED suspension — Edelman caught three passes for 28 yards on the Patriots' opening drive. He was quieter thereafter, but ESPN's Mike Reiss charted him as playing 50-of-71 snaps. Edelman could have had a bigger night but dropped what would have been a long completion on a first half third down. Edelman will be an upside WR2/3 for next week's likely shootout with the Chiefs.

Oct 5 - 12:02 AM

50 of 71? Seemed like he was off the field more often. Clearly not on the field in their goal line package. 

That drop was a bad one, but then again, look how wide open he was. Methinks he doesn't drop those in the future. 

WR3 for now with the potential to hit WR2 numbers in the second half. 

50 of 71? Seemed like he was off the field more often. Clearly not on the field in their goal line package. 

That drop was a bad one, but then again, look how wide open he was. Methinks he doesn't drop those in the future. 

WR3 for now with the potential to hit WR2 numbers in the second half. 
It's a small distinction but he caught a six yard pass down to the Indy one yard line on the Pats first scoring drive.

Shame about Hogan being completely useless but yeah, the rest are all gonna flourish. Love having White as a flex on half my teams.
Yeah, I dumped Hogan for Bernard last week. With Edelman and Gordon, just too many mouths to feed. Wish I had White in any league.

Even Gronk wasn't seeing targets for long stretches of time.

Last edited by a moderator:
NFL Network's Ian Rapoport confirms Julian Edelman (questionable, heel) is expected to play against the Bears in Week 7.

Sony Michel (knee) and Josh Gordon (hamstring) will also be active for Week 7. With Rob Gronkowski (back, ankle) sidelined, Edelman should see a steady diet of targets from Tom Brady Sunday in the Windy City. He's No. 19 in RotoPat's Week 7 wide receiver rankings.

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter 

Oct 21 - 8:11 AM

With Gronk out, is Edelman a better start than Cooks or Golloday?  Considering it as hell be Brady's safety blanket.

That's where I am. Debating rolling Edelman I've Ingram in flex. Don't like the balt matchip for Ingram.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the outlook for Julian Edelman (foot) is "positive," and New England's slot receiver "is not expected to miss much, if any time."

It's not surprising. Edelman did enter last week's game managing a foot/ankle issue, but his injury did not appear significant on the field. Edelman left in the fourth quarter with the game already out of hand. The Patriots are now on their Week 11 bye. We fully expect to see Edelman starting in Week 12.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter 

Nov 12 - 4:04 PM

is he good to go for this week?
Who?  @Soulfly3? He's always good to go....just ask him!

Edelman is still listed as questionable in Yahoo, but it's like that every week for him and many other NE players.  That's a BB move that will never change.  I think he's good to go this week after having an extra week of rest, and I haven't read anything to the contrary.  I'm starting him with confidence.

I think this is a Brady week.  He's coming off a loss and had a bye week to ruminate, i expect him to come out firing. 

In his games against Patricia and vrabel he had his two worst games of ther year with 387 yards,  one td and one interception.  

In his other 8 games he had 2361/16/6, which is an average of 295 yards, 2.0 touchdowns and. .75 interceptions. 

Last season, he averaged 286 yards, 2.0 touchdowns and .5 interceptions and won the MVP.

It really is just the lions and titans that  had his number.  Even against tough defenses - the bears, jags and Texans - he's had 787/8/2, although to be fair he played the Texans early in the season.  

I think a big part of it is the coaches familiarity with him and especially with gronk missing the titans game and being ineffective against the lions.  I think they took away Edelman on third downs and gordon and co dropped some very catchable balls.  I don't expect the jets to put up the same kind of resistance, although it is a road game against a division rival so you never know.  

I also think Edelman will be the beneficiary.  He got dinged up against the titans, while gordon was disappointing.   I don't think gordon gets frozen out, i just think he'll get fewer targets on third downs.

Personally i'm loading up on brady and Edelman this week. I'd understand if others felt differently. 

Julian Edelman gathered nine catches for 151 yards on 13 targets while also adding seven yards on his lone rushing attempt Sunday in the Patriots’ Divisional Round win over Los Angeles.

Edelman spent his Sunday afternoon annihilating Los Angeles, continually finding crevices in what was billed as one of the league's top secondaries. Edelman and James White teamed up to crush the Chargers, exhausting the visitors by grabbing every ball in sight. The veteran slot man put on a clinic in the first half, tallying 107 yards on seven catches as the Patriots went to the break with an enormous 35-7 lead. Already one of the most prolific wide receivers in playoff history, Sunday's outburst moved the 32-year-old into second all-time in postseason catches, trailing only 49ers legend Jerry Rice. After making quick work of the Chargers, the Pats will look to put the hurt on Kansas City in next week's AFC title game. Edelman registered four grabs for 54 yards and a touchdown against the Chiefs earlier this year.

Jan 13 - 4:57 PM

He like Big Ben, Antonio Gates, Antonio Brown, Jack Lambert, Randy Moss, a former MAC ite, Kent State (Dolpf Ziggler) And like Aaron Rodgers, Steve Smith, Cam Newton, O.J.Simpson, he went the JC route, San Mateo,

He was a QB in college, only caught one pass for 11 yards ,and his passing stats....weak, very weak, but, had over 1300 yards rushing his senior season.  Love to see a video of that.

He was the 232 player taken in the 2009 draft.  yep, 7th round.

What can we say about this guy?  I doubt he ever broke 4.5*** in the 40, he's not a physical anything,  and at a bar trying to peddle....I play pro football.... it would be.....so you kick?

He does remind me a little of Wes Welker and Cole Beasley. a quick...(not to be confused with fast) athlete that simply knows how to play the game.

I just saw him on some list (NFL Network replay) with Jerry Rice, hell. he was second on that list,  An all time list of WR;'s with a little x MAC QB on it, ha~~~~

The guy plays with passion and attitude, a guy you'd want in your foxhole.  Fantastic player.

***  ran off to Google....4.52

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GOOXAZLoPc

Really interesting guy for next season

In 12 games coming off an ACL injury and suspension:

74 catches, 850 yards, 6 TD's

Extrapolates to ~99 catches, 1133 yards, 8 TD's

Playoff lines:

9 for 151 vs SD

7 for 96 vs KC

10 for 141 vs the Rams

He'll be 33 starting next season, but he's in ridiculous shape and you would expect him to be even more confident in that knee.  

Where do you guys see him rankings wise?

Edelman would've finished as WR12 in PPR and WR15 in non-PPR with the extrapolated numbers. I think he gets ranked/drafted as an early/mid WR2 next year. Somewhere in WR14-18 range. If he's healthy all year he's a really safe pick that should perform right around his ADP value.

All of these WR's should go in front of him - Adams, Allen, Beckham, Brown, Evans, Green, Hill, Hilton, Hopkins, Julio, JuJu, Thielen, Thomas

Edelman should be near the top of heap of this group - Baldwin, Cooks, Cooper, Diggs, Edelman, Golladay, Lockett, Woods

You shouldn't extrapolate and then make ranking comparisons.
We don't really have to. In 15 regular and post season games this year, Edelman put up 100 receptions, 1,238 receiving yards, 6 receiving TD, and 112 rushing yards.

That's 271 fantasy points in PPR leagues. That would have ranked as WR10 this year.

For fantasy purposes I've always used per game production so never had a reason to extrapolate.  WR12 in PPG in regular season using week 17, up to individuals if you want to use week 17, playoffs, etc but splitting hairs really.

However you look at it WR10-12 and huge points for consistency with one game under 12, low game of 9.

I won't rank him as high as he finished next year. Old WR and old QB. At some point these things do catch up and I feel injury risk is higher for both.

Have we even had a QB-WR duo before whose combined age was 75?

Way early for rankings but I'd probably have him hovering somewhere around WR20 next year.

For fantasy purposes I've always used per game production so never had a reason to extrapolate.  WR12 in PPG in regular season using week 17, up to individuals if you want to use week 17, playoffs, etc but splitting hairs really.

However you look at it WR10-12 and huge points for consistency with one game under 12, low game of 9.

I won't rank him as high as he finished next year. Old WR and old QB. At some point these things do catch up and I feel injury risk is higher for both.

Have we even had a QB-WR duo before whose combined age was 75?

Way early for rankings but I'd probably have him hovering somewhere around WR20 next year.
Part of the problem in projecting Edelman year to year is he has a high injury risk and we never really know who else the Patriots will roll out there with him. Looking at today in a vacuum, we don't know if Gronk will be back, if Gordon will be reinstated and back, and Hogan and Dorsett are free agents. Edelman can't do everything by himself. Call it a hunch that he won't be the only WR on the team next year.

Since 2013, Edelman's stats are 103/1117/6.2 receiving plus 9/70/0 rushing per 16 games. This regular season, his stats pro-rated to 99/1133/8 receiving plus 12/143/0 rushing per 16 games. He's been one of the steadiest guys around (except for touchdowns), with 6.1-6.8 receptions for 66-77 receiving yards per game in each of the 5 seasons he played in. The main questions are how many games he'll miss, and when he'll hit his decline.

Since 2013, Edelman's stats are 103/1117/6.2 receiving plus 9/70/0 rushing per 16 games. This regular season, his stats pro-rated to 99/1133/8 receiving plus 12/143/0 rushing per 16 games. He's been one of the steadiest guys around (except for touchdowns), with 6.1-6.8 receptions for 66-77 receiving yards per game in each of the 5 seasons he played in. The main questions are how many games he'll miss, and when he'll hit his decline.
You pretty much covered the highs and the lows with Edelman. He missed 29 games in 6 seasons and will be 33 next year. Historically, slot receivers don't usually excel into their 30's. The other think that is really hard to account for with NE is the impact of other players being injured and if that helps or hurts Edelman. Gronk missed a ton of time. Amendola was banged up a lot. The RB corps has had years where no on stayed healthy. The OL has had years where almost everyone playing was hurt or a back up. And as I posted earlier, at this point we have no idea who the other receivers and tight ends will be in 2019 for NE.

As for the recent chatter about Edelman being a HOFer, I'm a Pats fan and I would be happy to buy him an admission ticket to get into the HOF like the rest of us. Sure, he's had some great playoff games, but his career totals pale in comparison to other receivers. There are other guys waiting induction with twice the career totals of Edelman.

Wes Welker or Julian Edelman? Go. 
Welker and its not remotely close. Welker is arguable as a HOF WR, though I wouldn't vote for him personally. He changed the game to an extent, and has had teams looking to find the next Welker for a decade.

Edelman's best season doesn't crack Welker's top-5. 

Welker and its not remotely close. Welker is arguable as a HOF WR, though I wouldn't vote for him personally. He changed the game to an extent, and has had teams looking to find the next Welker for a decade.

Edelman's best season doesn't crack Welker's top-5. 
It depends what people define as "best." How many Super Bowl winning teams did Welker play on?

I am not disagreeing with you, but there are a lot of things to consider. I wouldn't induct either one to the HOF, as I think there are too many players that already are borderline inductees.

As for the recent chatter about Edelman being a HOFer, I'm a Pats fan and I would be happy to buy him an admission ticket to get into the HOF like the rest of us. Sure, he's had some great playoff games, but his career totals pale in comparison to other receivers. There are other guys waiting induction with twice the career totals of Edelman.
Agree 100%

I love Edelman, but his career does not equate to a HOF career......he has like two 1000 yard seasons....plus he's had Tom Brady throwing to him.......he's a stud for sure, and right now one of the best in the game, but he won't sniff the HOF.

Wes Welker or Julian Edelman? Go. 
Not a fair fight based on stats. Welker had a younger Brady and got benefit of the attention defenses gave to  Moss and later Gronk/Hernandez. 

Welker got open as fast as any WR I've ever seen and consistently. Edelman is a little more versatile.

I think Welker fit better on the Moss/Gronk/Hernandez teams and Edelman fit better on the current version of the NE which required him to be more of a WR1.

Not a fair fight based on stats. Welker had a younger Brady and got benefit of the attention defenses gave to  Moss and later Gronk/Hernandez. 

Welker got open as fast as any WR I've ever seen and consistently. Edelman is a little more versatile.

I think Welker fit better on the Moss/Gronk/Hernandez teams and Edelman fit better on the current version of the NE which required him to be more of a WR1.
I think they are closer than most give Edelman credit for because you immediately want to compare them from a stats standpoint which Edelman loses every time. NOT saying they’re interchangeable but not as far off as most prob think. Replace Welker with Edelman when he was playing and I don’t think there would be much of a drop off. 

But I agree with everyone else - Welker from a production standpoint was a total stud. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread