What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Julian Edelman going forward (2 Viewers)

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Julian Edelman (knee) remains unsure if he'll be healthy enough to participate in the 2021 season.

"My understanding is he does want to play in 2021," Rapoport said of Edelman's current status, "that's not the important thing. The important thing is his knee going to be healthy enough to play. He's still rehabbing. He's still recovering. Still trying to see if he's healthy enough to be out there for the 2021 season." Due $2.8 million in base salary this upcoming year, the Patriots will likely keep the veteran around if there's even an outside chance he's available at some point mid-season. 35 in May and obviously still recovering, however, Edelman remains one of the easier fades in any offseason fantasy drafts. He should be considered questionable for Week 1.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Feb 26, 2021, 1:13 PM ET

The Boston Herald reports it's "doubtful" Julian Edelman (knee) will be able to play all 16 games in 2021. 

The report is via a "source familiar with Edelman’s situation." Per the source, "while surgery can provide temporary relief, nothing can solve the underlying problem." Edelman was limited to six games last season, undergoing surgery in October. The Pats aggressively addressed receiver in free agency and could do so again in the draft. Headed into his age-35 campaign with a lengthy injury history even before the knee ailment that has hounded him the past two years, Edelman seems to have reached "any contribution will be a bonus" territory. The Patriots need to decide if that is worth Edelman's $2.8 million base salary. 

SOURCE: Boston Herald 

Apr 8, 2021, 1:09 PM ET

I have already seen several references that he will move on to rekindle the bromance with TB12 in TB. Except Edelman is too hurt to play and was released for being unable to pass a physical. Edelman has a chronic, degenerative knee condition that surgery didn't really help. If he somehow recovers enough to play, it has been reported he would miss a chunk of the season just getting to a point where he would have to play in severe pain. I think NE would have preferred he just retired, but I guess that didn't materialize. I don't see the Bucs jumping at the chance to bring in Edelman (Brown has a lot more utility at this point).

Opting to retire. 
Julian Edelman announced his retirement.

Edelman, 34, had basically spent the past two seasons attempting to improve his knee to no avail. He hangs up his cleats after an extremely successful career with the Patriots, arriving via a seventh-round pick in the 2009 draft and finishing after 11 seasons with 620 catches for 6,822 yards and 36 touchdowns, 58 rushing attempts for 413 yards, 177 punt returns for 1,986 yards and four touchdowns, 30 kick returns for 626 yards, and six completions on six passing attempts for 128 yards with one score and a perfect 158.3 passer rating. He has an outside shot of qualifying for the Hall of Fame on his postseason resume (118/1,422/5) alone.

SOURCE: Julian Edelman on Twitter

Apr 12, 2021, 5:54 PM ET

Edelman is a player that I have gone full circle on.

- The family watched him play QB against Ohio State as the starting QB for Kent State back in 2007. The box score showed a 48-3 trouncing at the hands of the Buckeyes. It was easy to overlook his future greatness. Edelman's numbers on the day were 49 passing yards and an INT to go along with -7 rushing yards on 8 attempts.

- Shortly thereafter, the Patriots completed their undefeated regular season that ended in their first SB loss to the Giants (just to give folks an idea of the timeline).

- In the 2009 draft, NE weighed taking Brian Hoyer over Edelman in the draft, but BB felt Edelman was an old school football player and opted for Edelman (even though he did not yet have a position to play in the NFL). They ended up with Hoyer as an UDFA anyway.

- Edelman ended up as a receiver and a backup to Wes Welker, but he was a fixture on special teams and even played CB some during the 2011 season (and second loss to the Giants in the SB).

- Edelman was the epidemy of a warrior, as he took heaping amounts of physical abuse and somehow managed to come back for more. Who knows what could have been, but he hardly played on offense his first 4 seasons. His style of play cost him 55 games over his career. Who knows if his career totals would have been more impressive had he played more early on and if he could have somehow stayed healthy.

- His most famous play will forever be the greatest catch in the most memorable game in Patriots history against the Falcons. Most people don't remember he gave the Patriots the lead at the end of the the second most memorable game in NE history against the Seahawks.

- Tomorrow all the talk shows will bring up his crazy post season totals. That won't change that his fairly run of the mill regular season totals. He will be a first ballot team Hall of Famer. But let's not get crazy, he shouldn't really garner many NFL HOF votes.

- I'm not going to bother doing the research, but I am guessing there aren't many 7th round picks that played on 4 SB teams (winning 3 of them).

- He was the example of being mentally and physically tough and having what it takes to play professional football without the world class elite skills that other players had.

- My wife was saddened by his retirement, as this effectively closes the door on second part of the Patriots extended stretch of winning football (no Brady, Gronk, or Edelman anymore and realistically, of the guys that are still playing none of them really fit the profile as those guys did).

- And I will even finally forgive him for putting the moves on one of our daughters and trying to get her to become a slot receiver. That definitely is a really funny NSFW story that a handful of board folks have heard about in the past.

So a  :banned: for an unexpected and great career and a seat at the table at the Hall of Very Good (and Oft Injured) Players.

How many modern era players without any Pro Bowl or All Pro appearances have made it into the HOF?
Even if you want to make a 1960s-Celtics-argument he should be in the hall for winning three rings, consider this: Danny Amendola has more postseason touchdowns than Incredelman.

Guy had maybe five solid starter seasons and he was stellar in the postseason (esp Super Bowls) during their last three Championship seasons. He'll always have a place in Patriot lore. But he's not in any serious discussion about the PF HoF.

He’s obv not sniffing the HOF.  People are just being nice kinda like when someone passes away.  

He was never a top 5 WR  during any season in his career.  He had (3) 1k+ seasons (and they were barely over 1k) and never had over 7 TD’s.

a decent player but not even close to HOF.

He's like Tedy Bruschi...he's not gonna be a Hall-of-Famer but for a period of time he played at a Hall-of-Fame level and was a key cog in 3 Super Bowl championships...as clutch (and tough) a player that has ever played in the NFL.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why didn't the Patriots just allow him to announce his retirement instead of just releasing him and then having him announce he's retiring?

Why didn't the Patriots just allow him to announce his retirement instead of just releasing him and then having him announce he's retiring?
By releasing him with a failed physical, they allow Edelman to collect $2 million and keep his benefits. I believe that may actually cause them to have to take more of a salary cap hit, but they actually did him a solid by doing it this way.

By releasing him with a failed physical, they allow Edelman to collect $2 million and keep his benefits. I believe that may actually cause them to have to take more of a salary cap hit, but they actually did him a solid by doing it this way.
Well deserved...the guy totally gave up for his body for this team...for those who only see stats I don't think they can fully grasp the punishment his body took with what he was asked to do...I don't care how talented some of these guys are there aren't many who could take the beating he and Welker took.

Well deserved...the guy totally gave up for his body for this team...for those who only see stats I don't think they can fully grasp the punishment his body took with what he was asked to do...I don't care how talented some of these guys are there aren't many who could take the beating he and Welker took.
I had a thought that what if somehow Welker and Edelman could have been one player . . . Wes Edelman or Julian Welker. Here's what that phantom player would have had while on NE. (No overlap allowed, so Welker's numbers exclusively from 2007-2012, Edelman's numbers from 2013-2020).

Regular Season
1223-13567-69 receiving (would rank 5th / 16th / 48th all time)
64-487-0 rushing
6 for 6, 128 yards, 1 TD, 158.3 QB rating (highest possible) passing
2571 kick/punt return yards, 1 return TD
5 two point conversions
1 kicked extra point

21 solo tackles, 7 assisted tackles, 2 forced fumbles, 29 fumble recoveries
22 fumble return yards, 1 fumble return TD

Post Season
178-2053-7 receiving
12-105-1 rushing
1 for 2, 51 yards, 1 TD passing
433 kick/punt return yards

3 solo tackles, 1 forced fumble

Combined Regular and Post Season
1401-15620-76 receiving
76-592-1 rushing
16212 YFS, 77 combined TD
7 for 8 passing, 179 yards passing, 2 TD, 158.3 rating
3004 total kick return yards, 1 TD
19417 all-purpose yards, 81 all purpose TD

Would have played in 5 SBs, winning 3 (Edelman was injured one of the SB years)

I had a thought that what if somehow Welker and Edelman could have been one player . . . Wes Edelman or Julian Welker. Here's what that phantom player would have had while on NE. (No overlap allowed, so Welker's numbers exclusively from 2007-2012, Edelman's numbers from 2013-2020).

Regular Season
1223-13567-69 receiving (would rank 5th / 16th / 48th all time)
64-487-0 rushing
6 for 6, 128 yards, 1 TD, 158.3 QB rating (highest possible) passing
2571 kick/punt return yards, 1 return TD
5 two point conversions
1 kicked extra point

21 solo tackles, 7 assisted tackles, 2 forced fumbles, 29 fumble recoveries
22 fumble return yards, 1 fumble return TD

Post Season
178-2053-7 receiving
12-105-1 rushing
1 for 2, 51 yards, 1 TD passing
433 kick/punt return yards

3 solo tackles, 1 forced fumble

Combined Regular and Post Season
1401-15620-76 receiving
76-592-1 rushing
16212 YFS, 77 combined TD
7 for 8 passing, 179 yards passing, 2 TD, 158.3 rating
3004 total kick return yards, 1 TD
19417 all-purpose yards, 81 all purpose TD

Would have played in 5 SBs, winning 3 (Edelman was injured one of the SB years)
...and would have easily set the record for most concussions by one player as well.

im'ma just leave this story right here ...

fare the well, Jules ✌
Two completely random thoughts I had watching this (which as you'll see are about as unrelated as possible).

1) We know people that are good friends with BB and socialize with him all the time. Outside of icy Teflon football demeanor, I have heard he is actually fun, communicates like other humans do, and cracks a lot of jokes. The folks we know have been over to his house multiple times, and by the sound of it, he has triple locked room for all his scouting, tape review, filing cabinets with notes, etc. Basically, he's either at the stadium working or at home working. And for fun, he enjoys working.

2) The part where Edelman says BB was teaching him how to catch a punt aligns with many other stories I have heard about Bill. He knows everything about every position. Absolutely, positively EVERYTHING. He will stop practice to show lineman that the way they have their toes positioned gives away the play call. That the way the long snapper grips the ball is wrong and the angle the ball needs to be at launch. Where a defensive lineman needs to look and key on to get a split second jump on the play. The angle a slot corner needs to take and where within the hash marks he has to go to avoided getting picked on a shallow cross. Where the officials are and where they can't see to coach up his defenders to get away with grabbing a receiver. How many beats a QB needs to wait on play action and where he needs to look with his eyes to really sell it. He will work with anyone on the field to get the most minute details right. He'll even tell guys what cleats to wear and switch to when the weather changes and when. He is the conductor of the symphony and can orchestrate everything. He is a walking depository of football knowledge that I doubt we will ever see again.

Users who are viewing this thread