What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tavon Austin (1 Viewer)

JAA

Footballguy
For those interested in trying to figure out his value, I put his floor at Hester and ceiling at Welker or Sproles

enjoy

These specific highlights were from the Oklahoma game this past weekend where WVU continue to not be able to play ANY defense. Congratz OU, you are the better team ... any team with an offense is really

There are additional highlights from his Junior year on YT.

I put his draft stock mid 2nd. I still think he is small, like 5'7 180 so while DJax has stayed alive, it hasnt been an easy road.

He looks like a better version of McCluster, who went in the early 2nd. It's not easy being a WR that small, but DJax and now T.Y. Hilton have done well with that size.

2:20 mark. OOF...sickness.

What's his 40 time gonna look like?

ETA: NFLDraftScout has him at 4.28-4.38. At 5'9 172lb, why can't he be a more versatile version of Desean Jackson (5'10 175)?

Last edited by a moderator:

ETA: NFLDraftScout has him at 4.28-4.38. At 5'9 172lb, why can't he be a more versatile version of Desean Jackson (5'10 175)?
Scout.com has him at 5-7.5, 170 with a 4.47 40. That's a 40 he ran in HS so he may be faster than that now. I don't think he's grown much though.

Scout.com has him at 5-7.5, 170 with a 4.47 40. That's a 40 he ran in HS so he may be faster than that now. I don't think he's grown much though.
I think unofficial 40 times under 4.40 are about as reliable as Bigfoot sightings, but if he isn't faster than 4.47 I'll be surprised. No one ever catches him from behind.Betting he's around 5'7" 180.

He's got to run around guys - that's the only issue. I became more intrigued when WVU started him at RB this past week, and he obviously exploded.

The catch is that only 20ish yards of his over 300 came after contact. Not to suggest he can't be effective, just that he goes down at the hint of contact.

Tavon has been mentioned in a number of threads but this is the only one that is devoted to him so I thought I'd post this here.

In a tweet put out by NFL Network analyst Daniel Jeremiah, he pointed out that in his film study of WR Tavon Austin that he was so elusive that he was bearly 'touched' on all but one of the 15 TDs he had last season.

I found that stat interesting and it is getting re-tweeted so apparently others find this interesting as well so I thought I'd share it in case others didn't see this.

Austin has been rising and some are saying he's a legitimate top-ten pick and they may be right.

In any case this is the tweet and I think we'll be hearing more about Austin so this thread is worth a bump.

https://twitter.com/MoveTheSticks

Daniel Jeremiah‏@MoveTheSticks1 Apr
Studied all 15 of Tavon Austin's TDs from 2012. 14 of 15 would've counted in a 2 hand touch league. Defenders can't touch him! #Dynamic!

He's got to run around guys - that's the only issue. I became more intrigued when WVU started him at RB this past week, and he obviously exploded.The catch is that only 20ish yards of his over 300 came after contact. Not to suggest he can't be effective, just that he goes down at the hint of contact.
Yes, and on 280 of those yards he was never touched. He avoids contact very well.

The best part of his game is the quick instinctive devastating jukes moves. He cuts people up.

Bonus:

"I haven't gotten hurt or missed a game in eight years, so my durability should be really good." -Tavon Austin

In a tweet put out by NFL Network analyst Daniel Jeremiah, he pointed out that in his film study of WR Tavon Austin that he was so elusive that he was bearly 'touched' on all but one of the 15 TDs he had last season.
The flip side is that he can only score if he isn't touched.

Yes, and on 280 of those yards he was never touched. He avoids contact very well.
Will he be able to avoid as well at the pro level where defenses are that much faster?

Compare and Contrast:

Tavon Austin vs Percy Harvin

Tavon Austin vs Ted Ginn Jr

I'm intrigued by Austin and am very interested to see where he lands. In the right spot, I think his upside could be very good (despite his stature).

The best part of his game is the quick instinctive devastating jukes moves. He cuts people up.

Bonus:

"I haven't gotten hurt or missed a game in eight years, so my durability should be really good." -Tavon Austin
I read today from his coaches that he never missed a practice while attending WVU

I'm intrigued by Austin and am very interested to see where he lands. In the right spot, I think his upside could be very good (despite his stature).
I believe he is going to be most valuable to an indoor turf team. I believe the Rams Colts would be the best destination.

I would love for him to be taken 1.04 by my birds and buy his Jersey the day it came out. BTW I wouldnt tuck it in ...

http://westvirginia.scout.com/2/1280724.html

Draft analyst Mel Kiper Jr. discusses a couple of possible landing spots for WVU quarterback Geno Smith, and expresses enthusiasm for the skill set of Tavon Austin.
[SIZE=.9em]Given the hullabaloo generated by the "analysis" of Geno Smith by Pro Football Weekly over the past couple of days, it's not a surprise that the Mountaineer alum is an even hotter topic of discussion as the days to the draft (Apr. 25-27) dwindle. Smith has been under the microscope from all angles as the standard-bearer at quarterback in this year's draft, and has been slotted at numerous spots in nearly as many mock drafts over the past few weeks.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=.9em]Currently, Buffalo, Philadelphia and the New York Jets all seem to be possibilities for the player that shattered West Virginia's all time passing records, and Kiper discussed two of those locations in regards to Smith's draft prospects.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=.9em]"It's going to be the Geno Smith discussion," Kiper said of the Eagles, who currently hold the #4 pick. "Obviously [with] a new coach, do you bring in your new quarterback with the new coach and go that route when you're in a division with Romo and Eli and RG3?"[/SIZE]

[SIZE=.9em]Kiper also sees a scenario where the Eagles could look to bolster their offensive line, then go after a quaterback in the second round, when Smith would presumably be gone. In that instance, names such as Matt Barkley, Ryan Nassib or E.J. Manuelcome into play.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=.9em]"It depends on the first round pick. That dictates what they do in Round 2. You take Geno Smith, you're not taking an E.J. Manuel. You take Geno Smith, then you're probably looking at an offensive tackle in the second round."[/SIZE]

[SIZE=.9em]Smith, of course would love to have some offensive linemen int he draft along with him, especially if he goes to a team where he has the chance to compete for the starting job.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=.9em]Tavon Austin, who has moved steadily up the draft charts with excellent showings at the NFL Combine and at West Virginia's Pro Day, drew praise from Kiper.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=.9em]"Well, he's a phenomenal player. I saw him in high school here at Dunbar in Baltimore, and he was outstanding," Kiper said. "He was a man among boys. He's just tremendously electrifying, great quickness. He doesn't break tackles, he's only 5'8½", 5'9", and yet try to get a handle on him to tackle him, so the first thing you have to do is corral him.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=.9em]"He's great kid, very businesslike in his approach, serious about his business. You know, you think about the slot receivers, guys like Welker and Amendola and Davone Bess, they all went undrafted."[/SIZE]

[SIZE=.9em]Austin's ability on the field, which often gets lost in the over-analysis of combines and workouts in shorts, has him slotted in the bottom half of the first round, according to Kiper.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=.9em]"This kid is going to be drafted in the top 16. I think the furthest I could see him getting down to is 23 to Minnesota. Sixteen to St. Louis is where I have him going. You could see him in the mix for Carolina, Tampa. A lot of teams could be in the mix for him, but I think St. Louis will be a good fit at 16.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=.9em]"I think Tavon is going to have a heck of a career," he continued. "I think he's just an electrifying, dynamic player. You could say he's overdrafted because this draft doesn't have elite guys in the top 10, but in this NFL, in the era we're in in the NFL, his skill set transitions and translates tremendously well. Now, 20 years ago it might have been a different ballgame, and the three guys that are dominating obviously are putting up big numbers at the slot receiver position went undrafted, but that certainly doesn't affect Tavon Austin. He's a guaranteed first round draft choice and probably no later than pick 16." [/SIZE]

I want to like him but it seems eerie similar to the McCluster talk when he came out. I hope he is far more impact full though!!!

He looks great for PPR, but with his hype I might let someone else reach for him and aim for Swopes later in the draft. Not as shifty but bigger and stronger and still fast.

>Yes, and on 280 of those yards he was never touched. He avoids contact very well.
Will he be able to avoid as well at the pro level where defenses are that much faster?

Compare and Contrast:

Compare and Contrast:

Tavon Austin vs Josh Boyce

Josh Boyce is (or can be) essentially a bigger version of Austin. He's got 4.3 speed, explosive and shifty after the catch. Better at making plays downfield. Better in the Redzone. Sure, Austin has rushing ability, but how many carries do you expect him to get in the NFL? And if he does get carries what kind of YPC do you expect?

>Yes, and on 280 of those yards he was never touched. He avoids contact very

well.

Compare and Contrast:

Compare and Contrast:

Josh Boyce is (or can be) essentially a bigger version of Austin. He's got 4.3 speed, explosive and shifty after the catch. Better at making plays downfield. Better in the Redzone. Sure, Austin has rushing ability, but how many carries do you expect him to get in the NFL? And if he does get carries what kind of YPC do you expect?
This comparison kills me. Have you looked at tape of both of them? Please dont compare the two players, please.

>Yes, and on 280 of those yards he was never touched. He avoids contact very well.
Will he be able to avoid as well at the pro level where defenses are that much faster? Compare and Contrast:Tavon Austin vs Percy HarvinTavon Austin vs Ted Ginn Jr
Compare and Contrast:Tavon Austin vs Josh Boyce Josh Boyce is (or can be) essentially a bigger version of Austin. He's got 4.3 speed, explosive and shifty after the catch. Better at making plays downfield. Better in the Redzone. Sure, Austin has rushing ability, but how many carries do you expect him to get in the NFL? And if he does get carries what kind of YPC do you expect?
This comparison kills me. Have you looked at tape of both of them? Please dont compare the two players, please.
I've seen plenty of tape of Austin. Everyone has. Few have seen much of Josh Boyce.

>Yes, and on 280 of those yards he was never touched. He avoids contact ver

ywell.

Compare and Contrast:

Compare and Contrast:

While they are physically extremely different they are both considered slot receivers. Boyce has a lot of qualities of Victor Cruz and I wouldn't be surprised he has a better career - and this is coming from someone who is awed by Tavon. Despite his talent we don't know how Austin will hold up in the NFL under a heavy load.

I want to like him but it seems eerie similar to the McCluster talk when he came out. I hope he is far more impact full though!!!
1) McCluster was drafted as a RB. Austin is being drafted as a WR

2) McCluster's college highlights don't compare to Austin's, IMO. McCluster looked good. Austin is jawdropping.

3) McCluster ran a 4.58. Austin ran a 4.34. There is a HUGE difference in those times.

Aside from their size, I don't think there's much to compare between the 2. DeSean Jackson is a much better comp, IMO. And I think some people are forgetting how highly rated DeSean was for dynasty owners until the concussions started getting factored in.

ETA--In case people forgot where some had DeSean ranked before the concussions:

http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=567851

http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=581901

1) McCluster was drafted as a RB. Austin is being drafted as a WR

2) McCluster's college highlights don't compare to Austin's, IMO. McCluster looked good. Austin is jawdropping.

3) McCluster ran a 4.58. Austin ran a 4.34. There is a HUGE difference in those times.

Aside from their size, I don't think there's much to compare between the 2. DeSean Jackson is a much better comp, IMO. And I think some people are forgetting how highly rated DeSean was for dynasty owners until the concussions started getting factored in.

ETA--In case people forgot where some had DeSean ranked before the concussions:

http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=567851

http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=581901
Drafted "as" and drafted "to be" are two different things. McCluster "was" a RB in college. He "is" a WR in the NFL.

DeSean Jackon isn't a better comp. Jackson was making plays down field and ran reverses/sweeps. Austin is a catch-and-run player and is actually a better ball carrier (he was originally recruited as a RB).

>Yes, and on 280 of those yards he was never touched. He avoids contact ver<

/p>y well.

Compare and Contrast:

Compare and Contrast:

While they are physically extremely different they are both considered slot receivers. Boyce has a lot of qualities of Victor Cruz and I wouldn't be surprised he has a better career - and this is coming from someone who is awed by Tavon. Despite his talent we don't know how Austin will hold up in the NFL under a heavy load.
I know Im going to get killed for this, but Boyce looks slow to me. I know he ran a 4.38 blah blah blah. I dont believe Boyce has NFL speed, ie I do not believe his college speed will translate into the NFL. I watch his tape and he looks so slow. Im fine with no one believing me, thats cool, but its what I see when comparing the two. Yes, Ive seen Boyce run away for players ... specifcally WVU players. But he is NOT in Tavons speed class, its simply not there.

That said, Boyce is raw. He could be the next Boldin. He looks like a lot like him (albeit smaller), but I dont think he has the route running and hands that Boldin has.

speed = stride length x stride frequency.

A little guy with shorter legs who has faster turnover might look like he's running faster than a taller guy with longer strides, but that doesn't mean he's actually faster. I have seen Boyce blow by people in an instant, so I don't doubt his speed. Where shorter players often have an advantage is in turn radius/quickness. Long legs = longer steps = less ability to change directions in tight spaces. Think of guys like Barry Sanders, Darren Sproles, Ray Rice, and Lionel Messi. Their shorter steps give them more opportunities to shift momentum and change directions.

Austin has quick turnover and short legs. In terms of his functional quickness on the field, there's no question that he's better at making people miss in tight spaces than Boyce. Boyce is more of a glider. Deceptive speed because of his long strides. It's something that his trainers commented on before the combine. He's fast. He just doesn't look fast.

FWIW, he's also far bigger than Austin. Austin needs elite speed and quickness at his size because he couldn't function in the NFL without it. Someone like Quinton Patton, Chris Harper, or Da'Rick Rogers doesn't need to be that fast because they have size and strength. If you want to talk about the speed of players like Austin, Charles, Spiller, and Chris Johnson, remember that it comes at the expense of strength, weight, and power. The real freaks are the guys like Maurice Drew and Andre Johnson who can somehow run elite 40 times despite carrying a lot more weight relative to their height than people like Reggie Bush and DeSean Jackson.

Probably the best statistical breakdown on Austin: http://secondroundstats.com/2013/02/14/breakdown-austin/
Good stuff.

This part was interesting:

Of course Austin caught a high number of screens. Even after adjusting for those sweep screens, approximately 34% of his receptions were screens. This is higher than any wide receiver in this class.
Breaking it down: 28 sweep screens, 29 screens, 20 passes of 1-5 yards for a total of 77 of his 114 catches (65%) within 5 yards.

>Yes, and on 280 of those yards he was never touched. He avoids contact ver<

/p> y well.

Compare and Contrast:

Compare and Contrast:

I know Im going to get killed for this, but Boyce looks slow to me. I know he ran a 4.38 blah blah blah. I dont believe Boyce has NFL speed, ie I do not believe his college speed will translate into the NFL. I watch his tape and he looks so slow. Im fine with no one believing me, thats cool, but its what I see when comparing the two. Yes, Ive seen Boyce run away for players ... specifcally WVU players. But he is NOT in Tavons speed class, its simply not there.

That said, Boyce is raw. He could be the next Boldin. He looks like a lot like him (albeit smaller), but I dont think he has the route running and hands that Boldin has.
Boyce's speed doesn't translate well, yet he has a higher career college YPR (15.7) than Austin (11.9). It would have been much higher if he didn't have Trevone Boykin and his paltry 7.0 YPA throwing him the ball last year. In his first two seasons, Boyce's YPR was 17.3 with Andy Dalton and Casey Pachall.

I would love if he fell to the Texans at the end of the first. I really doubt that happens now with all of the hype out there, but the Texans could always move up now with compensatory picks announced (and yes I know they can't trade them). I've always felt like the Texans were one more receiving weapon away. Adding someone like Austin would add that one more flavor on offense to go with Foster, Johnson, and Daniels to hurt defenses in so many ways.

I love his game, but his size really scares me.

I've seen DJax and Hilton comparisons.

At the combine, Austin measured in at 5'9 and 174.

TY Hilton is 5'9 and 184. 10 pounds heavier.

DJax is 5'10 and 175, probably the best comparison.

I just worry he's bordering on too small for a consistent NFL WR. I hope I am wrong.

from Rotoworld:

Speaking with NFL Network's Bucky Brooks, one anonymous NFL scout compared West Virginia WR Tavon Austin to Dexter McCluster.
Austin is commonly compared to Percy Harvin, but according to Brooks the scout likes Austin's speed but his size worried him. McCluster was a second-round pick and has yet to develop into a true playmaker. Part of the reason likely relates to McClusert playing a lot of running back in college, and Austin's primary position was as a receiver.

Source: Bucky Brooks on Twitter

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000159131/article/tavon-austin-to-visit-with-new-york-jets

Tavon Austin to visit with New York Jets
By Dan Hanzus

Around the League Writer

Life is good for Tavon Austin, who must feel like the prettiest girl during prom season.

ProFootballTalk.com reported Wednesday that the West Virginia wide receiver has been forced to turn teams down because his pre-draft invitation card is so full.

One team Austin didn't dismiss is the New York Jets. NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reported Austin will fly into New Jersey on Sunday and meet with the Jets the following day, according to a source informed of the team's plans.

As we wrote in our "Draft Questions" series, Austin is a perfect fit for a Jets offense in desperate need of a dynamic playmaker on offense. New York could end up with both the ninth and 13th overall pick if they complete the trade that would send Darrelle Revis to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Austin would make plenty of sense as one of those selections.

Austin began the draft process as a fringe first-round pick, but he since has rocketed up boards on the strength of an electric performance at the NFL Scouting Combine. Austin will go on Day 1 -- it's just a matter of how high.

Follow Dan Hanzus on Twitter @DanHanzus.

The hype is getting stupid. He doesn't have the frame to hold up in the NFL. He's going to be a solid role player but the expectations getting thrown around are nuts. Huge bust at current prices.

The hype is getting stupid. He doesn't have the frame to hold up in the NFL. He's going to be a solid role player but the expectations getting thrown around are nuts. Huge bust at current prices.
this seems short sighted. he held up and never missed a practice in college. sure the competition is a few levels below the NFL but he's still playing football. he has special ability in space. extremely special...

i agree that he'd make a solid role player. but he could be an every down weapon on the team that gives him the opportunity. he's only an inch shorter and 10 lbs lighter than welker and steve smith (CAR). he's 2 inches taller than sproles, though about 15 lbs lighter... but he's not considered an RB anyway. if he has the right coordinator drooling, he could be an every down threat that could make a huge impact. if he gets miscast like mccluster then you may be right. mccluster was a 2nd round pick... austin will be a 1st and possibly a top 10. a bust he is not, imo.

Tell me about Danny Woodhead?

from Rotoworld:

Speaking with NFL Network's Bucky Brooks, one anonymous NFL scout compared West Virginia WR Tavon Austin to Dexter McCluster.
OOF. This is NOT what I think most dynasty owners wanna hear. :cry:
It's tough to avoid the comparison:

Height Weight SS Forty Bench Vertical YPCDexter McCluster 69 172 4.06 4.53 20 37.5 13.1Tavon Austin 69 174 4.01 4.34 14 32 11.9Austin needs to be used correctly, but there's a massive difference between Austin's 4.34 and McCluster's 4.53 40.

from Rotoworld:

It's tough to avoid the comparison:
Code:
 	                Height 	Weight 	SS 	Forty 	Bench 	Vertical YPCDexter McCluster 	69 	172 	4.06 	4.53 	20 	37.5 	13.1Tavon Austin 	        69 	174 	4.01 	4.34 	14 	32 	11.9
Austin needs to be used correctly, but there's a massive difference between Austin's 4.34 and McCluster's 4.53 40.
And Austin doesn't just have more top end speed, he is extremely quick. He's absolutely explosive in small spaces. FWIW, I think Brooks is one of the worst draft analysts out there and I think he's totally wrong. I think Harvin, not McCluster is a much better comparison. McCluster can't make those quick cuts and turn it back up to 100% going the other way.

from Rotoworld:

It's tough to avoid the comparison: Height Weight SS Forty Bench Vertical YPCDexter McCluster 69 172 4.06 4.53 20 37.5 13.1Tavon Austin 69 174 4.01 4.34 14 32 11.9 Austin needs to be used correctly, but there's a massive difference between Austin's 4.34 and McCluster's 4.53 40.
And Austin doesn't just have more top end speed, he is extremely quick. He's absolutely explosive in small spaces.FWIW, I think Brooks is one of the worst draft analysts out there and I think he's totally wrong. I think Harvin, not McCluster is a much better comparison. McCluster can't make those quick cuts and turn it back up to 100% going the other way.
Exactly right.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...stin-high-on-buffalo-bills-radar-in-nfl-draft

Tavon Austin high on Buffalo Bills' radar in NFL draft

By Marc Sessler

Around the League Writer

Tavon Austin's draft floor widely is assumed to be the St. Louis Rams at No. 16, but his ceiling is anyone's guess.

The electric wide receiver out of West Virginia is shooting up draft boards, but history tells us that 5-foot-8, 174-pounders don't often -- if ever -- enter the top 10.

Don't tell that to Buffalo Bills assistant general manager Doug Whaley, who told the team's official site on Tuesday: "He's on our radar, and high on our radar."

That wouldn't surprise NFL.com's Daniel Jeremiah, who has Austin going to the Bills at No. 8 in his latest mock draft. Still, this has the makings of a classic mid-April smokescreen.

SI's Peter King reported Monday that the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, sitting at No. 13, "love" Austin. With the New York Jets as another potential candidate to pull the trigger on Austin at No. 9, the Bills are in a good position to scare teams into dealing up if someone truly is smitten.

Another question in Buffalo is not if, but when the Bills will target a quarterback in the draft. Player visits don't tell us much, but the team has met with every signal-caller under the sun, leaving Bills general manager Buddy Nix to admit: "I've seen those guys more than I've seen my wife the last few months."

Follow Marc Sessler on Twitter @MarcSesslerNFL.

Hearing a lot of chatter that the Panthers are high on this kid. Maybe its a smokescreen for some teams to make a move up but he would certainly fit a huge need for the Panthers and newtons skill set.

Only a 7 on the Wonderlic for Austin... surprising but it sounds like teams aren't all that worried about him picking up the playbook.

Users who are viewing this thread