What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NFL officiating, what is going on? (1 Viewer)

AngryPatriot

Footballguy
There's just been too many blown calls lately. I was watching RedZone and they clip over to the Miami game, nice run by Bush but I could see the ball coming loose before he crosses and neither the officials or any of the commentators even notice it! SHould've been a turnover and touchback. Then there's the Forsett knee on Thanksgiving- blamed on some technicality which is ridiculous... and last night Rice is given the 1st down when the ball is should be placed at the 34.5 yard line, instead they give him an mystery 1/2 yard....? great run but the powers of observation with these crews varies way too much. I think really observing, "seeing" things, is almost a skill mainly mastered by some artists and some scientists, few referee types apparently. Who the heck is "in the booth" anyways? lol Get it right NFL!!!

No way on earth Rice should have gotten that first down spot.

The blown calls are one thing, but there have been a TON of questionable replay reviews this year (Big Ben obvious incomplete forward pass that was ruled a fumble comes to mind). I don't recall ever seeing anything like it.

They really need to solve the labor dispute and get the regular Refs back...this is a disgrace.

I was curious about that Ray Rice spot too. Every time they showed the replay the ball looked like it was just across the 35 yard line when his knees hit. I don't know how the hell they got the 33 1/2 out of that.

I was curious about that Ray Rice spot too. Every time they showed the replay the ball looked like it was just across the 35 yard line when his knees hit. I don't know how the hell they got the 33 1/2 out of that.
Dude's not even 6 feet tall and did not have the ball extended whatsoever.

They really need to solve the labor dispute and get the regular Refs back...this is a disgrace.
Honestly I think it has been worse overall.I notice a tendency if it is even close at all to leave replay as called on field....like Bens "fumble"

Fact... replacement refs, real refs or third graders... they all are equal on how they ref games. I will never get bent over real officials or scabs again. The result is always the same.

We would of had a march on the stadium if that SD/Bal game happened with replacement refs.

Well on the bright side it only took them 10 minutes (actual time, as recorded by the announcers) to get the ball placed at the wrong spot.
The blown calls are one thing, but there have been a TON of questionable replay reviews this year (Big Ben obvious incomplete forward pass that was ruled a fumble comes to mind). I don't recall ever seeing anything like it.
This is not new, and is something I brought up a lot early this season. Say what you want about the scabs, but they were typically very good at getting the correct call after replay. The real refs have always struggled with that. It's not new to this year. Every year there are 30 plays where everyone in the game thread sees it one way and the ref magically sees the complete opposite. I don't know if it's just that the real refs have more pride in their calls on the field or what, but they are absolutely hideous at looking at an obvious replay and coming up with the easy result of it.

I saw the Bush TD live and thought it was close enough to warrant another look. Replay showed the ball clearly out of his hands before crossing the goal line. Touchback. Figured every scoring play is reviewed, so they'll catch it. Never even stalled the extra point to look at it. Announcers didn't seem to even notice. It was fairly obvious and nobody in class was brave enough to raise their hand.

This is not new, and is something I brought up a lot early this season. Say what you want about the scabs, but they were typically very good at getting the correct call after replay. The real refs have always struggled with that. It's not new to this year. Every year there are 30 plays where everyone in the game thread sees it one way and the ref magically sees the complete opposite. I don't know if it's just that the real refs have more pride in their calls on the field or what, but they are absolutely hideous at looking at an obvious replay and coming up with the easy result of it.
Agree. If they're going to make us sit through an extra 20 minutes for all their replay crap, the least they could do is get it right with more frequency. Baffles me how many replay rulings have been screwed up this year. Well, look at the bright side... extra 20 minutes of commercials every game really helps the league. So much better product on the field with all these TV timeouts and $$ in the execs' pockets.

On a slightly different but related topic, can anyone define pass interference and illegal contact anymore? There is such a variance in the way its called that its ridiculous. Sometimes, the defensive back is banging the receiver all the way down the field and nothing is called, and other times they get called for a light tap or just sticking their arm out in front of the receiver. Offensive holding is also inconsistent. If an olineman is engaged with a defensive player and that defensive player falls the ground. regardless of if he is being held, it is often called holding. I know these rules are defined in the rule book, but I'd love to know what the refs are being told in terms of enforcement of these rules because I don't really know it by watching anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:
The really need to take the replay out of the refs hands and do like the NHL does. Have people in a studio watching every game from all angles and have them review the disputed plays and make the calls. Sometimes it seems like the refs will not overturn close plays because it would prove one of the crew made an incorrect call. Let someone else make that call.

I have never seen so many plays reviewed and still get it wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
officiating was amazingly awful this week in particular. the colts bills game was a complete joke. as was the bengals.

Almost every week since the refs have returned there's been multiple terrible calls each week. If the replacements were still out there it'd be the lead on sportcenter.

Users who are viewing this thread