What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

New York Mets 2013 thread (1 Viewer)

:yawn:

It'd be nice if the Mets actually did something else this offseason aside from signing David Wright (which was great and all but come on now).

I'm going to be pissed if they trade Dickey. This isn't a horrible team, they don't need a tear down. Adding the right complementary pieces and this team can contend for a playoff spot. The second WC spot makes the playoff barrier eminently reachable for most teams if things break well during the season. Keeping Dickey around for the VERY reasonable extension he sought should have been done. Guy coming off the Cy Young is only asking for 2 years and 13 per. Too rich for the crooks that own the team though.

'Nucker101 said:
'RBM said:
Now hearing D'Arnaud will be in the deal. :popcorn:
Big mistake if they do IMO.
Yeah, they should get Gose, d'Arnaud and a pitcher.
Are you kidding? For a 38 year old pitcher who is coming off a career year?
Two unproven players is enough? Are you kidding?
No, I am not. I am giving the Mets front office a little credit here. I am sure they could fetch a player like Kendrys Morales for him, but if you are going to trade for a veteran player, why not just keep Dickey? The Mets front office wisely beleve it is better to get a young, blue chip, prospect (who absolutely might not pan out) instead of getting a player that will contribute to their continuing mediocrity

Buck, d'Arnaud and Syndergaard is the best rumored package I have yet heard.
John Buck? Why would the Mets want him? Thole is fine as a place holder for D'Arnaud. They has to be a veteran that would be more useful for the Mets than Buck.

John Buck? Why would the Mets want him? Thole is fine as a place holder for D'Arnaud. They has to be a veteran that would be more useful for the Mets than Buck.
Thole is not any good.
Neither is John Buck, and he makes $6,000,000 more per year than Thole.
Then Buck makes no sense for the cheap Mets. That rumor must be just another writer throwing something at the wall.

Thole is not any good.
Neither is John Buck, and he makes $6,000,000 more per year than Thole.
Then Buck makes no sense for the cheap Mets. That rumor must be just another writer throwing something at the wall.
He is not cheap, and he hit .190 last year. I would try to have the Jays throw in a serviceable veteran.

Joel Sherman of the New York Post confirms that the Mets and Blue Jays are nearing the completion of a seven-player trade involving knuckleballer R.A. Dickey.As currently constructed, the trade would send Dickey, Josh Thole and an unnamed (non-elite) prospect to the Blue Jays in exchange for Travis d'Arnaud, John Buck, Noah Syndergaard and an unnamed (non-elite) prospect. Nothing is expected to be finalized until Sunday, so the parameters of the swap could certainly change before then. Dec 15 - 9:45 PMSource: Joel Sherman on Twitterhttp://www.rotoworld.com/player/mlb/3252/ra-dickey
:popcorn:

So next year, the only contract on the books for the Mets will be Wright. Santana, Bay and Franscico all come off the books. Figure they'll need to deal Murp and Ike though, they'll be arb 2 players for 2014 - too rich for the upstanding ownership. I have faith, they'll get below the Rays payroll soon enough!

Last edited by a moderator:
I hate seeing Dickey go, but I think this is a fantastic trade for the Mets. They're getting back 2 blue-chip prospects, and probably clearing up Zach Wheeler's rotation spot for later in the year.

Hate seeing Dickey go but, if these prospects are as good as advertised, I'm ok with it. The guy is 38 after all.
I think the Mets found the best deal available, no question. d'Arnaud is an elite catching prospect. I think getting him alone would be a great trade.

I hate seeing Dickey go, but I think this is a fantastic trade for the Mets. They're getting back 2 blue-chip prospects, and probably clearing up Zach Wheeler's rotation spot for later in the year.
You can only like this deal if you think they should punt this season. And if they're punting this season, then they should really punt, not pretend to be competing.

You can only like this deal if you think they should punt this season. And if they're punting this season, then they should really punt, not pretend to be competing.
I don't know what more the Mets can do to commit to punting 2013. Their big Major League off-season acquisitions so far are John Buck and Brandon Hicks.

I don't know what more the Mets can do to commit to punting 2013. Their big Major League off-season acquisitions so far are John Buck and Brandon Hicks.
They just traded for Colin Cowgill. Championship!

Why resign Wright?

Why resign Wright?
The contract isn't too bad when you consider the deferred money for the cash strapped Wilpons. If they didn't pick up his option, he'd walk and the Mets would get nothing for him. If they just picked up the 2013 option, they'd have to pay him $16M and find a trade partner.

'dparker713 said:
'Eephus said:
Why resign Wright?
What Eephus wrote and also because if they did not give him an extension the ballpark would be close to empty on many occasions.

'dparker713 said:
'Eephus said:
Why resign Wright?
What Eephus wrote and also because if they did not give him an extension the ballpark would be close to empty on many occasions.
Its going to be empty anyway.

'dparker713 said:
'Eephus said:
Why resign Wright?
Dogs barking with Wright. Crickets with no Wright. Also, it would be pretty rotten to see Wright start the All-Star game in New York but not wearing a Mets uniform.

'dparker713 said:
'Eephus said:
Why resign Wright?
Dogs barking with Wright. Crickets with no Wright. Also, it would be pretty rotten to see Wright start the All-Star game in New York but not wearing a Mets uniform.
Such are the realities of being a fan of a small market MLB franchise.

Why resign Wright?
Not sure what you're expecting here dp?Do the Wilpons suck? Yes.Can anythign force them to sell the team? No.So with that said we're stuck with them for now. Pretty obvious Sandy is looking at 2014 and beyond - they've restocked the farm with power pitching arms. After 2013 they'll have only Wright on the books making significant $$$. What do you want them to do? Throw carzy amounts of money at average at best players? They've done that the last century or so and it has gotten them nowhere.

Why resign Wright?
Not sure what you're expecting here dp?Do the Wilpons suck? Yes.Can anythign force them to sell the team? No.So with that said we're stuck with them for now. Pretty obvious Sandy is looking at 2014 and beyond - they've restocked the farm with power pitching arms. After 2013 they'll have only Wright on the books making significant $$. What do you want them to do? Throw carzy amounts of money at average at best players? They've done that the last century or so and it has gotten them nowhere.
Selig forced McCourt out, he could have forced the Wilpons out just by denying approval of their minority owners. Hell, if they'd just have gone through with the Einhorn deal we'd be 1 year closer to the end of their reign of terror. I know it will never happen because Bud is in the Wilpon's back pocket and vice versa, but its certainly frustrating. As for what they should do, they didn't need to punt the season already. 88 wins. Thats what qualified for the playoffs in both leagues last season. Its not a particularly high bar, especially when you have 2 star level players already on the roster and a team that won 74 games last season and plenty of blackholes on the roster. Make some smart, cheap additions where those blackholes are and you can see a fairly cheap path to making the team an 80 win true talent team. From there, let the season play out. Maybe things break right, maybe they dont. So yeah, maybe its similar to the plans of the past, but the nature of the game has changed, and just getting to the playoffs allows for anything to happen.

Why resign Wright?
Not sure what you're expecting here dp?Do the Wilpons suck? Yes.Can anythign force them to sell the team? No.So with that said we're stuck with them for now. Pretty obvious Sandy is looking at 2014 and beyond - they've restocked the farm with power pitching arms. After 2013 they'll have only Wright on the books making significant $$. What do you want them to do? Throw carzy amounts of money at average at best players? They've done that the last century or so and it has gotten them nowhere.
Selig forced McCourt out, he could have forced the Wilpons out just by denying approval of their minority owners. Hell, if they'd just have gone through with the Einhorn deal we'd be 1 year closer to the end of their reign of terror. I know it will never happen because Bud is in the Wilpon's back pocket and vice versa, but its certainly frustrating. As for what they should do, they didn't need to punt the season already. 88 wins. Thats what qualified for the playoffs in both leagues last season. Its not a particularly high bar, especially when you have 2 star level players already on the roster and a team that won 74 games last season and plenty of blackholes on the roster. Make some smart, cheap additions where those blackholes are and you can see a fairly cheap path to making the team an 80 win true talent team. From there, let the season play out. Maybe things break right, maybe they dont. So yeah, maybe its similar to the plans of the past, but the nature of the game has changed, and just getting to the playoffs allows for anything to happen.
The Wilpons absolutely should be forced out a la McCourt, but because they're friends with Selig, that won't happen. It's pretty clear that the Wilpons don't have the funds to run a competitive team, at least right now. It seems like their strategy is to punt this season, rely on the profits from SNY and the All-Star game, and possibly spend money next season when the contracts of Johan, Bay, and Francisco are finally off the books (about 40 million dollars).IMO, the fact that the Mets have no money isn't proven by their trade of Dickey, which was a fantastic baseball move because of their return. But the fact that they can't afford to re-sign Scott Hairston, who's said he wants to be back, and who would be the 2nd best righty hitter on the team, is absurd. He wouldn't cost more than 5/6 million per season, and it seems as if the Mets have already written him off. That's as clear an indication as any I can think of that their finances are awful.

Users who are viewing this thread