What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dear makers of Elf on a shelf (1 Viewer)

Does your elf bring the kids any gifts on Christmas? We traveled the last 8 years, so we hid one gift that ended up being from the elf when we returned. We're home this year. I think we'll still have elf bring something small for the kids to put under the small tree they have in their bedroom. Santa will put his gift under the tree in the living room.

Why tomorrow night? Our elf shows up when Christmas decorations go up. Can't believe my 8 year old still believes in this. 
Because that is what it says in the book it came with. My 10 year old is still going. Thought for sure 5th grade would be it. Not yet. 

contemplating sending a note this year from the elf that he can't come back until the house renovations are done, you know for his own safety. Buys me about 2 more weeks. 

Starting up this weekend. Looking forward to waking up in a panic remembering I didn’t move this thing to a different spot. 

:lmao: yep. Have to get my ### up in the middle of the night wide awake trying to remember if I moved it. Smh
That sounds horrible. What's the point of this thing? My kids were grown and gone long before this abomination came along. Seems I should be pretty happy about that.

DallasDMac said:
That sounds horrible. What's the point of this thing? My kids were grown and gone long before this abomination came along. Seems I should be pretty happy about that.
It's worth it. My kids absolutely love it and I love the smile on their face in the morning. 

DallasDMac said:
The point? 

The point is the makers of it make money.... just like a lot of other Christmas traditions. 

My son just bolted up the steps and declared the elf on the shelf (Hart) has returned. Super excited 

I'm going to hell.

Wife has a 12" x 8" cross on our living room wall. Turns out that's the perfect size to crucify an elf.  So Marvin was found hanging on the Cross, Jesus style this morning by my 9yo son. 

Figure we'll bury him tonight and have a couple days before we move him again.

This is the first year all my kids are old enough that the Elf bull#### is finally OVER!!

Youngest daughter just turned 12.. We've had that damn elf since before it was popular.. we got it as a gift when it first came out in 2005..

I don't know whether to be sad or happy it's finally over... I'm going with #happy  

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the first year all my kids are old enough that the Elf bull#### is finally OVER!!

Youngest daughter just turned 12.. We've had that damn elf since before it was popular.. we got it as a gift when it first came out in 2005..

I don't know whether to be sad or happy it's finally over... I'm going with #happy  
Same. But we have probably another 10 years. 

We had to gaslight my 9yo the other day when he sat up in his bed, out of a dead sleep, and caught my wife starting to move his elf from his room. She fumbled some lame excuse in the moment and then tucked him back in. In the morning we played it all off as some weird dream or something he must have had. 2 days later and I still don't think he's let it go, so this could be it. We were hoping to get through one more season this year of Santa, too, but the elf thing might make him question everything he knows. 

Next time you write the book, please allow the kids to touch the elf by accident so we dont have a meltdown like the world is about to end. I can deal with one of my kids breaking down at any given moment, but both at the same time is tough.

It would be nice to have elf really move itself so I dont have to remember every night to do it. I just know one night I will be woken at 3:00am and told to go move it because we forgot. I have already had to do it twice in the morning but its a matter of time that my daughter beats me downstairs and I dont want to see what will happen if the elf doesnt move. Although with the way my daughter behaves, it should never move for 30 straight days.

But most of all, I hate you for the genius idea and the fact that I didnt think about it sooner. :moneybag: :moneybag: :moneybag:
One of the dumbest things ever made. That's what you get for buying it.

one neat thing about elf shelf is that you can make them hold little signs so you could make them hold a little sign in all fancy cursif that says go get your dad a beer form the garage and that would be pretty fn sweet because nothing beats when the magic of christmas results in not having to walk in the cold for a beer that is all i am sayin take that to the bank brohans 

Glad I am well past those days.  Our elf still shows up as decoration, but all he does is literally sit on shelf these days.
My youngest is now aware of the real story with Santa and the elf now - she asked me a couple days ago if we could still put the elf out - I was like sure, but you get to be in charge of it.  I hated moving that damn thing around.

I will say as sad as I am that my daughter is officially done this year with Santa, there is also a little bit of relief.   The way my step son and daughter s ages are it's been almost 20 years straight.

This is probably our last year and I'm feeling a bit sad about it. My 9 year old is starting to ask if Santa and the elf is real. Didn't have the heart to break it to him right before Christmas. Gonna try and have a last magical Christmas. 

Some of my family who are teachers in school systems of young children say Elf has become a glorified babysitter (based on the stories they share from kids and their parents' use of it). 

I never had the Elf thing going on in the years when I had little kids in the house so I may be missing a lot of the point.

Users who are viewing this thread