What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Cam Newton, CAR (2 Viewers)

Embarrassed to say this, but I actually forgot about Cam's shoulder when my draft rolled around. Came time to draft a QB and debated Winston or Cam. Not sure what made me go Cam. I even wondered that as soon as I walked away from the draft. At least I grabbed Big Ben as a backup.

In my dyno, my 2 QBS are Cam and Sam. Sam is out who knows how long. Now Cam is putting up weekly stinkers so I am going with Case Keenum. Cam is so bad I am resorting to Case f###ing Keenum. F### magic football.

Edit to add: Deep 16 team dyno. These are my only options outside of a trade.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone foresee him being able to turn it around this year? He's such an extraordinary talent that it's hard to drop him and no one in their right mind is trading for him (though I bet many of my league mates would love to hold him on their bench so that's likely what I'll be doing). 

If you can't play him against the Saints when can you play him?  He's headed into droppable territory.  Clearly his 2015 year is an outlier, but as a passer, he has typically been OK volume wise.  How could he have gotten so terrible so quickly?

No, this is what he is. Horrible mechanics. He couldn't' hit the broad side of a barn pre shoulder injury. If he can't run, he's a low end ham & egger a best. I mean, he just played a bad defense that was on pace to set records for ineptitude and made them look good.

No, this is what he is. Horrible mechanics. He couldn't' hit the broad side of a barn pre shoulder injury. If he can't run, he's a low end ham & egger a best. I mean, he just played a bad defense that was on pace to set records for ineptitude and made them look good.
I could live with ham and egger.  A typical non-outlier year for Cam was something like 3800/21/14.  He's on pace for barely 3000 yards and 10 TDs.

I could live with ham and egger.  A typical non-outlier year for Cam was something like 3800/21/14.  He's on pace for barely 3000 yards and 10 TDs.
Going into gambler's fallacy but you could argue he's just rusty and will be 'due' for bigger games. 

Anyone foresee him being able to turn it around this year? He's such an extraordinary talent that it's hard to drop him and no one in their right mind is trading for him (though I bet many of my league mates would love to hold him on their bench so that's likely what I'll be doing). 
No.  I will give 7 reasons.

First, his shoulder isn't close to 100%.  I went to the Panther's Fan Fest at BOA Stadium in early August.  He wasn't making any NFL throws at that time.  So I figured that he would come out of the gate slow.

Second, Olsen is out for at least another 6 weeks, and Benjamin is going to be pretty questionable for this week.  Their receiving corps are very thin.

Third, I think CAR really misses Ted Ginn.  Sure, Ginn drops a lot of passes, but the dude can get open deep.  Made it much easier for Olsen and Benjamin to work the middle of the field.  Right now CAR is pretty easy to defend when they have to pass. 

Fourth, Cam isn't running as much.  He has learned his lesson after a major shoulder injury and multiple concussions last year (yes he was concussed after the DEN game).  So his floor of say 500 yards rushing and 5-6 rushing TDs isn't going to be there, and that was a huge part of his fantasy appeal.

Fifth, he has never been a great passer and he's an average at best decision maker.  He's terrible at the screen game (but should improve with McCaffrey over time).

Sixth, the OL isn't that great at pass blocking.  Newton isn't getting the time to throw like he did in 2015.

Seventh, as a byproduct of the personnel, CAR wants to be a run first team and play defense.  You're going to continue to see McCaffrey and Stewart get plenty of carries.  Which means less opportunities for Cam to sling the ball downfield.

No.  I will give 7 reasons.

First, his shoulder isn't close to 100%.  I went to the Panther's Fan Fest at BOA Stadium in early August.  He wasn't making any NFL throws at that time.  So I figured that he would come out of the gate slow.

Second, Olsen is out for at least another 6 weeks, and Benjamin is going to be pretty questionable for this week.  Their receiving corps are very thin.

Third, I think CAR really misses Ted Ginn.  Sure, Ginn drops a lot of passes, but the dude can get open deep.  Made it much easier for Olsen and Benjamin to work the middle of the field.  Right now CAR is pretty easy to defend when they have to pass. 

Fourth, Cam isn't running as much.  He has learned his lesson after a major shoulder injury and multiple concussions last year (yes he was concussed after the DEN game).  So his floor of say 500 yards rushing and 5-6 rushing TDs isn't going to be there, and that was a huge part of his fantasy appeal.

Fifth, he has never been a great passer and he's an average at best decision maker.  He's terrible at the screen game (but should improve with McCaffrey over time).

Sixth, the OL isn't that great at pass blocking.  Newton isn't getting the time to throw like he did in 2015.

Seventh, as a byproduct of the personnel, CAR wants to be a run first team and play defense.  You're going to continue to see McCaffrey and Stewart get plenty of carries.  Which means less opportunities for Cam to sling the ball downfield.
Couple points as a response: Isn't it a good thing that he wasn't throwing in preseason and, of course, has gotten off to a slow start? Should mean his shoulder is rested and he simply needs to essentially use the beginning of the season as a kind of makeshift preseason for himself.  Also, isn't it a good thing that Carolina has chosen to be a run-first team rather than laying it all on Cam? It should mean that it preserves his health and also opens up the field for passes if their run game is working. 

I'm just hesitant to drop the guy like many are doing if he is, indeed, off to a slow-start and isn't just washed up. 

Couple points as a response: Isn't it a good thing that he wasn't throwing in preseason and, of course, has gotten off to a slow start? Should mean his shoulder is rested and he simply needs to essentially use the beginning of the season as a kind of makeshift preseason for himself.  Also, isn't it a good thing that Carolina has chosen to be a run-first team rather than laying it all on Cam? It should mean that it preserves his health and also opens up the field for passes if their run game is working. 

I'm just hesitant to drop the guy like many are doing if he is, indeed, off to a slow-start and isn't just washed up. 
Yes it's good that he didn't throw, but from what I can see, he doesn't look close to 100%.  He's missing easy throws.  This type of injury requires rest, so he continues not getting the proper reps in practice.  Cam will probably be 75% for the whole season.

Yes it's good for the Panthers that they can run the ball and take pressure off Cam, but that isn't great for his fantasy prospects.

I wouldn't drop him, unless I had a short bench.  But I would find a better option ASAP.

He done, as far as being a consistent fantasy producer. 

He has taken too many hits and won't run it with the frequency he used to. 

He isn't a good enough passer to put up good numbers consistently without running the ball. 

It was a fun run while it lasted. 

Last edited by a moderator:
 Goodbye Cam Newton.

I thought I had found decent value when I picked you up in the 10th in a long time redraft I am in.

On the wire there I have Siemian, Goff, Tyrod Taylor and Cousins.

I'm starting to believe ANY of the above is a better play than Newton.

I will sleep on this, but its getting to a point where he can't be trusted in most any league.

TZM

I think he's toast, at least for this season.  As mentioned, his ridiculous rushing totals are what made him a fantasy force.  He's never been a great passer even when his shoulder was healthy. I unfortunately own him in a 2QB league and if my attempts to add a 1st to him to trade for another QB prove futile, I'm actually left deciding if I start Cam or Hoyer as my QB2.....Yes, Brian Hoyer.....

Would I be crazy to drop cam and pickup deshaun watson as my backup QB in a dynasty league ?  It's start 1 QB and I usually roll with Stafford.

In dynasty .. I am ready to deal Cam for Brees straight up  ...1-2 with a team built to win ... Cam, Bell, Ajayi, AJ Green, Dez, Kelce .... 

Thoughts?

In dynasty .. I am ready to deal Cam for Brees straight up  ...1-2 with a team built to win ... Cam, Bell, Ajayi, AJ Green, Dez, Kelce .... 

Thoughts?
Cam is so bad right now.  I know the Brees owner in my dynasty league would not make that trade at the moment lol.

Thoughts?
It's entirely possible (maybe even likely) that in a typical 12-team 1QB league Brees will put up more career VBD from this point on than Cam, even if he only plays this season and next. It's reasonable to ask to get another small piece thrown in, but if push comes to shove I'd do it straight up.

Been trying to make a trade for a QB in one league where I have Cam. Nothing doing so far - offered Abdullah for Stafford to an owner that has Rodgers as his starting QB. Didn't bite. Bearing in mind that this is a UK league where a lot of the members are stupid and can't process how QBs are beyond plentiful and don't carry as much value. His genuine response was to demand Gronk in return. 

Think ill be playing waiver wire QB for a few weeks until something sticks 

Couldn't bring myself to drop him. Want to sit him down if I can until he gets Olsen and Benjamin back. No one on my wire and I was an idiot and didn't draft a good back up because I saw Carolina's passing schedule and thought I was golden all year except for his bye week where I could start anyone available for a week. Now I'm forced to start Watson this week. And the brutal thing is Cam has a date with the worst pass d in the league and he'll probably for one week make us regret sitting him down.

You think it's good his shoulder wasn't healthy enough to throw a week before the season? You must be loving the last three weeks.

On my bench for goff. Will likely cost us the game. At least we didn't drop him though. Co-owner wanted to

Stuck it out with Cam and reaped the rewards the last two weeks. 

Still gonna lose this week bc my opponent started Fournette and T.Y. though...  :(

Users who are viewing this thread