What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Cam Newton, CAR (1 Viewer)

The bolded doesn't seem to fit Belichick's ideals at all. You would know more than I would, but my gut says if Cam is available, he's starting. 
BB likely already has an answer on what is going on with Cam and what the league has decided. He just isn't sharing it. There probably is a chance that Cam's status would be a game time decision (in the league's eyes) that might come down to Cam testing negative just before game time. Bill could decide that he isn't playing that game and has game planned for Cam not to be available. But I think that is unlikely.

ESPN's Field Yates reports Cam Newton (reserve/COVID-19) is expected to practice with the Patriots on Thursday.

It'll put Newton on track to play Week 6 against the Broncos after he missed Week 4 with the virus and the Patriots had Week 5 postponed and pushed back to this week. Cam will obviously have to continue to have negative results on his daily tests.

SOURCE: Field Yates on Twitter

Oct 14, 2020, 3:59 PM ET

Well, having lost Dak, I am forced to roll with CAM for the rest of the season.  

Of course, I can snag Dalton (or Carr, Foles, Fitz, Jones or Rivers) and I do believe DAL continues to throw the ball around so wondering if I should make this move to snag Dalton or is CAM worth trying to ride out the season?  I think this is the best group of talent Dalton has had around him and with him being (I believe) a competent QB I do think it inherently makes him more appealing.  

Appreciate any thoughts.

Well, having lost Dak, I am forced to roll with CAM for the rest of the season.  

Of course, I can snag Dalton (or Carr, Foles, Fitz, Jones or Rivers) and I do believe DAL continues to throw the ball around so wondering if I should make this move to snag Dalton or is CAM worth trying to ride out the season?  I think this is the best group of talent Dalton has had around him and with him being (I believe) a competent QB I do think it inherently makes him more appealing.  

Appreciate any thoughts.
I'm in the exact same boat as you. Have Dak, Cam, and Jimmy G in my dynasty league. I put in a waiver claim for Dalton incase something happens to Cam. Dalton isn't as terrible as many make him out to be. He might not throw for 450 yards like Dak was but there's no reason he can't reach 300 with 2-3 TDs. Dallas' D is still a mess after all. 

Edit: just saw who you have available. I don't have anyone close to those QBs available in my league. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm in the exact same boat as you. Have Dak, Cam, and Jimmy G in my dynasty league. I put in a waiver claim for Dalton incase something happens to Cam. Dalton isn't as terrible as many make him out to be. He might not throw for 450 yards like Dak was but there's no reason he can't reach 300 with 2-3 TDs. Dallas' D is still a mess after all. 

Edit: just saw who you have available. I don't have anyone close to those QBs available in my league. 
12 teamer so the pickings are slim....I'm going for Dalton as I like his prospects better than those listed.  Heck, I may start Dalton over Cam and it's TBD. 

Patriots QB Cam Newton is expected to practice Thursday. 

It will be Newton's first practice in nearly two weeks. He's been on the team's reserve/COVID-19 list since testing positive for the virus on October 3. Head coach Bill Belichick was typically noncommittal when asked Thursday if Newton would start this week against Denver. If he suits up Sunday, fantasy managers should make sure Newton is in their lineups in a favorable matchup. 

SOURCE: The Athletic 

Oct 15, 2020, 12:14 PM ET

I am in the same scenario.  I have Cam and I went ahead and spent to pick up Dalton too.  Just want to keep options open.  Not sure who I start this week but want both so if one is handily outperforming the other I can roll with that guy going forward, or play matchups if not.

Cam Newton completed 17-of-25 passes for 157 yards with two interceptions in the Patriots' Week 6 loss to Denver.

This was Newton's first start since going on the COVID list. He salvaged his day with 76 rushing yards and a goal-line TD, but Newton struggled in this one, taking four sacks and coming up short of a comeback after consecutive turnovers set up New England to win it on the final drive. Newton has now thrown for under 200 yards in 3-of-4 starts. He gets a matchup with the 49ers in Week 7.

Oct 18, 2020, 4:02 PM ET

Patriots QB Cam Newton was replaced by Jarrett Stidham against the 49ers. 

Newton had 98 yards and three picks through three quarters, out of sync with his pass catchers and unable to evade rushers. Newton had a couple bad overthrows before the game got out of hand. It's no sure thing Newton will start for the Patriots next week against the Bills. 

RELATED: 

Jarrett Stidham

Oct 25, 2020, 6:28 PM ET

Newt might just be a hired gun from here on in getting 1-2 years deals. Don`t see him getting a mega-deal.

Newt might just be a hired gun from here on in getting 1-2 years deals. Don`t see him getting a mega-deal.
He looked great until COVID, and that might be part of the issue. But, his receiving weapons stink to high hell. They need a TE and a WR. They are good enough to make a run this year, and they better get on the phone as early this week.

He looked great until COVID, and that might be part of the issue. But, his receiving weapons stink to high hell. They need a TE and a WR. They are good enough to make a run this year, and they better get on the phone as early this week.
Kind of seems like he might have caught the first couple teams off guard with how healthy his legs are, but once teams have adjusted and forced him to stay in the pocket he's been miserable. 

Cam Newton completed 9-of-15 passes for 98 yards and three interceptions in the Patriots' 33-6 Week 7 loss to the 49ers, adding five rushes for 19 yards. 

Newton was inaccurate all day, continuing a disturbing trend. One has to wonder about the health of his throwing shoulder, which hampered him for his final couple years in Carolina. Jarrett Stidham replaced Newton in the second half with the game decided. New England's offensive struggles aren't entirely his fault: no Patriots pass catcher can separate from coverage, leaving Newton to force throws into tight windows time and again. He'll be a QB2 option next week against the Bills if he gets the start. 

RELATED: 

Jarrett Stidham

Oct 25, 2020, 8:46 PM ET

Patriots head coach Bill Belichick said Cam Newton is "absolutely" the team's starter. 

The clarification was necessary after Newton was yanked Sunday in a blowout loss to the Niners. Belichick said he put Jarrett Stidham in the game to get the young QB more experience. Newton was once again awful in Week 7, managing just 98 yards and throwing three interceptions. "I don't fear my position stability more so than controlling the locker room," Newton told reporters Monday. "Performances like yesterday jeopardizes [that]. It's like 'Oh my God!' Players talk and that's what's most important to me. Knowing you have your coaches' belief [is good], but my belief is that I want to have the whole facility." Newton's rushing potential will keep him on the QB2 radar this week against the Bills. 

RELATED: 

Jarrett Stidham

SOURCE: ESPN

Oct 26, 2020, 11:40 AM ET

Hate to say it, but Cam looks messed up again... mechanics were all over the place yesterday. Is it "the yips" or is he compensating for a physical drop-off in that shoulder. Even last week he looked to be guiding/shot-putting his throws.

He could be toast.

Hate to say it, but Cam looks messed up again... mechanics were all over the place yesterday. Is it "the yips" or is he compensating for a physical drop-off in that shoulder. Even last week he looked to be guiding/shot-putting his throws.

He could be toast.
Not discounting the injury but "mechanics all over the place" and bouts of inaccuracy sounds a lot like Carolina Cam too.

Not discounting the injury but "mechanics all over the place" and bouts of inaccuracy sounds a lot like Carolina Cam too.
True, he's never been the most accurate guy in the world, but I'm talking about a noticeable lack in arm strength.

Yesterday, he looked like the guy in CAR just before season-ending IR/surgery.

Sometimes you don't know what you've got until it's gone. 
I don't think Brady would be doing much in NE right now anyways.  He seems refreshed there, has WAY WAY more weapons in an offense that fits him.  With how Edelman is playing this year (or hurt), I'm not sure Brady would have the Pats at any better than 2-3 right now to be honest.

I don't think Brady would be doing much in NE right now anyways.  He seems refreshed there, has WAY WAY more weapons in an offense that fits him.  With how Edelman is playing this year (or hurt), I'm not sure Brady would have the Pats at any better than 2-3 right now to be honest.
Agreed, but this just shows how smart Brady is.  He jumped ship at just the right time. 

I think many are forgetting as well that the Patriots had more players opt out due to COVID than any other team (IIRC). 

Agreed, but this just shows how smart Brady is.  He jumped ship at just the right time. 

I think many are forgetting as well that the Patriots had more players opt out due to COVID than any other team (IIRC). 
Yep. Super smart of him to see the writing on the wall and bail. 

Patriots head coach Bill Belichick said aftereffects of COVID-19 are not affecting Cam Newton's play. 

"We'd list him on the injury report if he was," Belichick said when asked if Newton's recent struggles were related to his positive virus test in early October. "I don't think he's had any symptoms the whole way." Speculation had swirled about Newton -- who was benched Sunday after throwing three interceptions against the 49ers -- dealing with the effects of COVID-19 in his return to the field this month. That appears not to be the case. 

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Oct 27, 2020, 8:03 AM ET

NE has the worst offense this year...no talent at offensive skilled positions... get this man Julio Jones asap 
Because Julio can reach 10ft out in front of him and scoop passes out of the dirt?

Cam is cooked. Injury? The yips? Both? He's done.

Cam Newton completed 15-of-25 passes for 174 yards in the Patriots' Week 8 loss to the Bills, adding nine carries for 54 yards and a touchdown.

Newton posted an adequate day as a fantasy player because of his rushing output but his day will be remembered by a single play. He lost a fumble in the red zone on New England's final offensive play. The Patriots could have tied with a field goal or won with a score. Instead, the Bills were able to ice the game with a few kneels. Newton was without Julian Edelman and N'Keal Harry. The lack of weapons was apparent as Newton only completed five passes that went for more than 10 yards. The Patriots only have two wins on the season while Buffalo is sitting pretty with six wins. Newton is a rushing-dependant QB2 going forward.

- Rotoworld

Cam Newton completed 27-of-35 passes for 274 scoreless yards in the Patriots' 30-27, Week 9 win over the Jets, rushing 10 times for 16 yards and two touchdowns.

Newton completed his first 11 passes of the game and was taking what the defense was giving him in the short areas of the field, peppering Jakobi Meyers with 14 targets on the night, hooking up with him 12 times for 169 yards. No hookup was bigger than a 20-yarder with three seconds left to set up Nick Folk's game-winning 51-yard field goal on the next play. The Patriots didn't call many designed runs for Cam, but he finished off a couple drives with five- and one-yard rushing scores. Newton hasn't thrown a touchdown since Week 3. Next week against Baltimore, Newton will be a high-risk QB2.

Nov 9, 2020, 11:12 PM ET

Patriots QB Cam Newton said he has a sore neck after playing the Jets on Monday Night Football. 

Cam was blasted by safety Ashtyn Davis -- who was penalized for the hit -- late in the game on a blitz that Cam never saw. He somehow held on to the ball while his head whipped back. Newton should be fine for Week 10 against the Ravens but Patriots' practice reports will be worth watching in the coming days. 

SOURCE: ESPN 

Nov 10, 2020, 11:15 AM ET

Cam Newton completed 13-of-17 passes for 118 yards and a touchdown in the Patriots' Week 10 win over the Ravens, adding 11 carries for 21 yards and a rushing touchdown.

After struggling to beat the Jets, Newton managed the Patriots to an upset win over Baltimore. His passing touchdown came in the red-zone to Rex Burkhead, and he scored a rushing one on a designed run from four yards out. Newton was effective again this week, completing 76% of his passes, and didn't have any turnovers. The Patriots (4-5) have a chance to get back to .500 with a matchup against the Texans in Week 11.

Nov 15, 2020, 11:17 PM ET

Cam Newton completed 9-of-18 passes for 84 yards, zero touchdowns and two interceptions in the Patriots' 20-17, Week 12 loss to the Cardinals, adding nine carries for 46 additional yards. 

It was a horrific performance; one camera appeared to find Newton apologizing to coach OC Josh McDaniels for as the assistant tried to congratulate Newton on the Pats' last-second win. The W was set up in part by a 14-yard Newton run where he took a helmet-to-helmet shot as he was going out of bounds to add 15 more yards. Newton was simply out of sorts, with his first pick getting batted up into the air in the face of the blitz. For No. 2, the ball needed to be to Damiere Byrd's outside on the sideline. Instead it was hopelessly in. Instead of logging goal-line rushing scores, Newton watched as Damien Harris got stood up and James White cashed in a pair of Newton's pitches. The disastrous effort comes on the heels of one of Newton's better passing games of the season. There is simply no one for him to throw to, while he's not exactly upping the play of the pass catchers around him. It's hard to keep going back to Newton in fantasy after these kinds of days, but his rushing will keep him in the low-end QB1 mix for Week 13 vs. the Chargers .

- Rotoworld

Speaking Thursday, Cam Newton (abdomen) said he is not concerned about his Week 13 status against the Chargers. 

Newton has been getting in "limited" practices. "I'm feeling as good as I should be feeling," Newton said. "You just have to stay on top of things, see what the trainers say. Just keep getting treatment." Newton hasn't looked quite right physically in a while, but it is not surprising he is playing through it. Despite his scattershot passing and almost nonexistent aerial scores, Newton's rushing continues to keep him on the QB1/2 borderline at a position that is as thing as it has been in a while. 

SOURCE: Mike Reiss on Twitter 

Dec 3, 2020, 5:14 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread