What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Cam Newton, CAR (3 Viewers)

Cam Newton (abdomen) is questionable for Week 13 against the Chargers.

Even so, Newton is expected to play after noting that he himself isn't concerned about his status for Week 13. As usual, the Patriots also listed 11 others as questionable and limited throughout the week, most notably G Shaq Mason (calf).

SOURCE: Los Angeles Chargers on Twitter

Dec 4, 2020, 4:26 PM ET

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Patriots QB Cam Newton (abdomen, questionable) is expected to play in Week 13 against the Chargers.

Newton has struggled as a passer this year, throwing nine interceptions to just four touchdowns and averaging under 200 yards through the air power game. However, he remains one of the best quarterbacks at running the football. He's carrying the ball 9.2 times for 38.7 yards per game and has nine rushing scores across ten games played. He slots in as a low-end QB1 because of his legs.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Dec 6, 2020, 8:33 AM ET

Cam Newton completed 9-of-16 passes for 119 yards, zero touchdowns and an interception in the Patriots' Week 14 game against the Rams. 

Newton added seven carries for 16 yards. Listed as "questionable" with an abdomen injury, Newton was absolutely dismal in a non-competitive game, heading to the bench for the final 10 minutes with the Rams winning 24-3. Newton's surgically-repaired throwing arm/shoulder looked weaker than ever, with the veteran having to put everything he had into even short passes. Newton's interception was a pick six on a botched screen where Aaron Donald may have gotten a piece of Damien Harris. Presenting zero passing threat, the Rams teed off on Newton for three third quarter sacks. Newton could have made his night look better with a rushing score, but got stood up from the three and two-yard lines in the second quarter. Lucky to escape with only one turnover, Newton had the looks of a player running on empty. He has 10 days to rest up for an equally-foreboding Week 15 matchup with the Dolphins. Newton will be a zero-floor QB2 for that one. 

Dec 10, 2020, 10:50 PM ET

I've always been a massive Cam fan, but the man's done. Even he's GOTTA see it. All the surgeries, all the time off to rehab and recoop, and he still can't mechanically throw the football in a way that looks natural and doesn't require a huge amount of effort. I wouldn't be surprised if he retired after the season.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Cam experiment has been very interesting...he has been all you can ask for as a teammate and leader and has been beyond a stand-up guy with the media and this is in a market that has destroyed many a pro athlete...overall, I am glad I got a chance to see this firsthand because he is very likeable and I will readily admit I thought he was kind of a pretender when he was with Carolina...also, it is very easy to see BB has the utmost respect for him...that being said he is washed-up on the field...he is inaccurate and his pocket presence is awful which seems a million times worse to Patriot fans after watching Brady be a maestro in that area for 20 years...also, and I'm not sure whether it is him or the Coaching Staff telling him to do so but he is sliding real quickly on every run so outside of those short yardage designed runs he isn't even helping in that department...not only is he not good but because he is so limited throwing the ball you really can't develop any receivers with him although that is kind of a moot point with the garbage they are rolling out...the guy I feel bad for is James White as I don't think there could be a worse QB to play with for what White does...there is absolutely no way the Pats can bring him back in 2021 regardless of what the dollar amount is as they are beyond limited with him...the Pats have a ton of cap space and it looks like they have hit on a few of the youngsters so with BB's coaching if they can figure out the QB position they could be right back to being a playoff team next year but there is no way that can happen with Cam and this 1975 Southwest Conference offense they are playing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cam Newton completed 17-of-27 passes for 209 yards, zero touchdowns and zero interceptions in the Patriots' 22-12, Week 15 loss to the Dolphins, adding nine carries for 38 additional yards. 

With the defeat, the Patriots are now 6-8 and eliminated from the postseason for the first time since 2008. It was another dispiriting affair from Newton, one where he was lucky to escape without a turnover. Newton appeared to commit an 82-yard fumble six in the second quarter, but the NFL busted out the Hubble Telescope to determine an out-of-bounds Dolphin's leg grazed the ball before Xavien Howard picked it up and housed it. It was the right call, but also one of the unfortunate side effects of replay. For his part, Newton was more accurate than he has been in some recent performances, but he continued to display frighteningly little arm strength. Newton's years-long shoulder issues have sapped his one prodigious deep ball ability. Newton heads into Week 16 with five passing scores all year, and just two rushing touchdowns across his past five games. He will not be a recommended QB2 vs. the Bills. 

Dec 20, 2020, 4:13 PM ET

Newton appeared to commit an 82-yard fumble six in the second quarter, but the NFL busted out the Hubble Telescope to determine an out-of-bounds Dolphin's leg grazed the ball before Xavien Howard picked it up and housed it. It was the right call, but also one of the unfortunate side effects of replay.
This vitriol isn't meant at all towards you, Faust; but, WTF is this nonsense? The ball obviously touched the toad DT Dolphin and was therefore out of bounds... Hubble my ###. And making the right call in a potentially pivotal game moment is an 'unfortunate side' of replay??

2020 has really made me dislike traditional reporters and media. So much bias. Clowns to the left of me. Clowns to the right of me.

Cam Newton has five passing touchdowns in 13 games this season. 

Newton has thrown three touchdowns over his past six outings. It's bleak for the Patriots passing game -- and the offense in general -- as Joe Flacco has more touchdown tosses than Newton this season in just five games. What started out on a hopeful note for Newton and the Patriots has dissolved into a disaster; the team will miss the playoffs for the first time since 2008 after Week 15's loss to Miami. The veteran isn't playable outside of superflex formats in Week 16 against the Bills. 

Dec 21, 2020, 11:34 AM ET

This vitriol isn't meant at all towards you, Faust; but, WTF is this nonsense? The ball obviously touched the toad DT Dolphin and was therefore out of bounds... Hubble my ###. And making the right call in a potentially pivotal game moment is an 'unfortunate side' of replay??

2020 has really made me dislike traditional reporters and media. So much bias. Clowns to the left of me. Clowns to the right of me.
This is just how Rotoworld has been this year. They are obviously trying to add humor and be edgier. I personally am not a fan, and it has led to me using them less as a resource. 

Looks like Cam will be a one year contract hired gun type QB from here on in.  Very doubtful he will get a mega multi year deal at this point in his career.

Actually if the Lions trade Stafford I would not mind Newton for a year on a team friendly deal while they groom a new QB.

Cam Newton was benched in the third quarter of Monday night's eventual Week 16 loss to the Bills after completing just 5-of-10 passes for 34 yards.

Cam rushed four times for 24 yards and one touchdown, turning what looked like a sack into a nine-yard score as his lone highlight of the night. As a passer, Cam was skipping passes to open receivers, which has been an issue all year. His arm is just straight up cooked. Damiere Byrd dropped what should have been a 36-yard touchdown on a double-pass trick play in the first quarter, and it was all downhill from there. Jarrett Stidham replaced Cam with over eight minutes to play in the third frame. This is the third time Cam has been benched in a blowout loss this season. It's fair to wonder if Stidham will make the Week 17 start against the lowly Jets.

RELATED: 

Jarrett Stidham

Dec 28, 2020, 11:00 PM ET

It really wasn't a worthwhile attempt.  Running qbs fall off the cliff and Newton did last year.  The real question is how much better would they have been if Brady was there?  10-6 at the best with no hope of a playoff win most likely.  If they can find a QB in the draft and make some smart FA moves, they can retool quickly.    Cheap and bad is still bad when it comes to QB's.

Patriots coach Bill Belichick "would imagine" Cam Newton starts Week 17 against the Jets. 

"We're going through that right now," Belichick said Tuesday. "We'll see." Newton was benched in the third quarter of Monday evening's blowout loss to the Bills. When asked to assess Newton's poor performance, Belichick said "I thought he did what we asked him to do." Newton's once prodigious arm strength has appeared completely shot in the second half of the season. The problem, of course, is that Jarrett Stidham still appears to be an even worse option. Newton at least still keys the ground game. Belichick will probably let Newton start what will almost certainly be his final game in a Patriots uniform, one that is winnable against the 2-13 Jets. 

SOURCE: Ryan Hannable on Twitter 

Dec 29, 2020, 3:44 PM ET

The Cam experiment has been very interesting...he has been all you can ask for as a teammate and leader and has been beyond a stand-up guy with the media and this is in a market that has destroyed many a pro athlete...overall, I am glad I got a chance to see this firsthand because he is very likeable and I will readily admit I thought he was kind of a pretender when he was with Carolina...also, it is very easy to see BB has the utmost respect for him...that being said he is washed-up on the field...he is inaccurate and his pocket presence is awful which seems a million times worse to Patriot fans after watching Brady be a maestro in that area for 20 years...also, and I'm not sure whether it is him or the Coaching Staff telling him to do so but he is sliding real quickly on every run so outside of those short yardage designed runs he isn't even helping in that department...not only is he not good but because he is so limited throwing the ball you really can't develop any receivers with him although that is kind of a moot point with the garbage they are rolling out...the guy I feel bad for is James White as I don't think there could be a worse QB to play with for what White does...there is absolutely no way the Pats can bring him back in 2021 regardless of what the dollar amount is as they are beyond limited with him...the Pats have a ton of cap space and it looks like they have hit on a few of the youngsters so with BB's coaching if they can figure out the QB position they could be right back to being a playoff team next year but there is no way that can happen with Cam and this 1975 Southwest Conference offense they are playing.
I still think he is a pretender I think he changed because he saw if he didn't put on a good boy act especially in NE there was no way he'd get another chance. The dude is done though. Good career that I think many will overrate. Incredible inconsistent and many people will be reminded how he carried himself at times (Not in a good way nor how a leader of a football team should) through his career. He had some really good athletic skills but QB wise incredible inconsistent with a lot of horrible mechanics. A few yrs where the defense in CAR saved him from himself IMHO. Then again I'm kind of biased after the way he left Florida and all the lying he did that the UF Media dug up recipes on for him. 

I still think he is a pretender I think he changed because he saw if he didn't put on a good boy act especially in NE there was no way he'd get another chance. 
Huh? He was loved in Carolina. Cam is a good guy, and his teammates and coaches loved him. He did a lot for the community too, and he went above and beyond doing things for children.  I think it's weird people (like you) still hold a few immature moments against him. He grew up, and became the leader Carolina hoped he would.  As for his skills, Cam carried the cats to the Super Bowl. His WR trio during that SB run was Tedd Ginn, Jerricho Cotchery, and Corey Davis. He deserved the MVP that year. Injuries have taken their toll on Cam, but he was a special player. I'm glad he was a Panther, and I hope he retires as one. 

My wife was at the South Park mall ****’s one year when Cam came in with 25 or so kids, for whom he proceeded to buy Christmas presents - it seemed like pretty much whatever a kid wanted, he got.  Cam spent the whole time wheeling around the store on a razor scooter, laughing and enjoying himself the whole time.  I think a lot of the antics that rubbed people the wrong way - the Superman TD celebration, etc. were just his raw exuberance, really still a kid at heart.

Unfortunately the image that I will most associate with him, however, was not diving for his fumble in SB50.  The game was in reach until that exact play - and he didn’t even try.  Von Miller had just kicked his ### for so long that day he didn’t have it in him anymore.  I don’t think he’s been the same since that play.

Huh? He was loved in Carolina. Cam is a good guy, and his teammates and coaches loved him. He did a lot for the community too, and he went above and beyond doing things for children.  I think it's weird people (like you) still hold a few immature moments against him. He grew up, and became the leader Carolina hoped he would.  As for his skills, Cam carried the cats to the Super Bowl. His WR trio during that SB run was Tedd Ginn, Jerricho Cotchery, and Corey Davis. He deserved the MVP that year. Injuries have taken their toll on Cam, but he was a special player. I'm glad he was a Panther, and I hope he retires as one. 
Grew up? Not more then 3-4 yrs ago this guy was complaining to refs about being hit. 5 yrs ago he acted incredible immature after the losing the SB. I have a right to have a grudge against this guy. He called coaches at Florida racist for picking Tebow over him then claimed that he was the better QB in practices. So the Gator Beat guys took exception and linked to their articles and tweets from them basically on how bad Cam was that he had zero business even being on the roster. Then he had the audacity to claim that the Florida coaches were racist against him. Dude never grew up he just puts on an act. I know what frauds look like as I've dealt with plenty in my life including my job and Cam is the definition of a guy who puts on a great act in public. Like I said Really good athlete absolutely overrated as a QB. 

The Athletic's Jeff Howe expects the Patriots to "seek other alternatives" to re-signing impending free agent Cam Newton. 

However, Howe reports the Pats have "not ruled out" bringing back the 31-year-old. Howe believes Newton could double the $3.956 million he earned this season if he can prove better health. That is going to be a tall order after Newton's shoulder essentially appeared wrecked down the stretch of 2020. Newton did remain one of the league's most dangerous rushing threats under center. Newton could be entering a stage of his career where he is considered a potential season-saving/game-flipping backup due to his dual-threat. It's also possible teams calculate Newton's shoulder might hold up in No. 2-type sample sizes but no longer under full 16-game rigor. 

SOURCE: The Athletic 

Jan 7, 2021, 7:50 PM ET

Cam Newton said missing early-season games and practices with COVID-19 proved a setback from which he could not recover. 

Newton's production dropped off dramatically following his return from COVID-19 as he became unplayable in fantasy leagues. It was after his return from the virus "where the lack of an offseason and the lack of time in the system really showed itself. I was behind and I was thinking too much." The veteran said he never caught up after his COVID absence. “The offense kept going and I was stagnant for two weeks," Newton said. "It was all new terminology. I wasn’t just trying to learn a system for what it was, I was learning a 20-year system in two months.” Having discounted retirement, Newton is likely to land elsewhere this offseason -- perhaps as a backup -- with the Patriots desperate to upgrade at QB. 

SOURCE: BostonGlobe.com 

Feb 22, 2021, 8:55 AM ET

Impending free agent Cam Newton said he would be open to signing a one-year contract with the Patriots

Newton set career lows with the Patriots, throwing for eight touchdowns in 15 starts. His 12 rushing touchdowns were his most since 2011, but he's unlikely to be re-signed as anything other than a backup or bridge quarterback for a rookie. New England is expected to be aggressive in upgrading from Newton this offseason. 

SOURCE: NESN

Feb 24, 2021, 11:36 AM ET

The Boston Globe's Ben Volin reports Patriots coach Bill Belichick "has done nothing but rave" about QB Cam Newton this offseason.

Newton battled through COVID, learned a new offense without a traditional offseason, and picked up a few wins for the Patriots in 2020 so it's not surprising that Belichick has a healthy amount of respect for the veteran passer. The real question is if that respect turns into another shot at starting for Newton, who is currently a free agent. Reports from earlier in the offseason indicated that a return to New England was unlikely but subsequent news has painted a much more optimistic picture for Newton. The Patriots have the 15th overall pick which may not be enough to land them the caliber of QB prospect they want. If that's the case, using the draft and free agency to give Newton some better weapons to work with seems plausible. The former Panther threw more interceptions than touchdowns last year but his top two receivers were both UDFAs with a combined seven starts before 2020. Newton may not be as physically gifted as he was in Carolina but building up a project QB via the draft doesn't seem to be in the cards for the 68-year-old head coach. Newton has a real shot at opening 2021 as New England's starter and would be an intriguing fantasy option because of his running ability. 

SOURCE: The Boston Globe

Feb 28, 2021, 9:28 AM ET

Grew up? Not more then 3-4 yrs ago this guy was complaining to refs about being hit. 5 yrs ago he acted incredible immature after the losing the SB. I have a right to have a grudge against this guy. He called coaches at Florida racist for picking Tebow over him then claimed that he was the better QB in practices. So the Gator Beat guys took exception and linked to their articles and tweets from them basically on how bad Cam was that he had zero business even being on the roster. Then he had the audacity to claim that the Florida coaches were racist against him. Dude never grew up he just puts on an act. I know what frauds look like as I've dealt with plenty in my life including my job and Cam is the definition of a guy who puts on a great act in public. Like I said Really good athlete absolutely overrated as a QB. 
Dude, stop. Complaining to refs makes him a bad guy?

Tom Brady and Lebron James’ must be the devil.

Dude, stop. Complaining to refs makes him a bad guy?

Tom Brady and Lebron James’ must be the devil.
If Players breath on Tom Brady Rodger makes sure the refs have a flag out before the play is over. If Lebron gets fouled the league is so quick at calling a foul for him. 

Both of those guys overall have far more talent than Cam ever had. I'm not even a fan of either of those guys. My issue with Cam is it's never his fault and he doesn't take accountability. It's always someone else's fault why he didn't succeed. We're talking the same guy who when at Florida told people he wasn't starting because the coaches were racist and Tim Tebow was white. When he got to the NFL talked himself up when asked about his time at Florida saying he should've started. But the Florida beat guys were quick with recipes and video of how poorly Cam was. One beat guy even wrote at the time Cam Newtown was the worst player in the spring and he shouldn't even be on the team. Didn't even try to become better. 

Instead of taking accountability for his lack of success at UF and saying "I made a lot of mistakes there, was really immature and didn't put in the work. I really messed up with the laptop incident and I learned from that." Nope instead while there he pulls race into it and then lies about how good or how bad he really was. 

I remember early in his career a few articles coming out on him. He had the team bus late almost an hour for a flight home because he made the team wait as he sulked in the locker room after they lost. Another game he threw teammates under the bus despite the fact he was part of the problem. When at the pro bowl veterans there didn't like how Cam acted and felt he was disrespectful to veteran players and fans big timing people. Dude has thin skin and can't take an ounce of criticism. I'm honestly shocked Bill didn't make him cry in NE this year, but my guess is Cam was just trying to put on an act to get in some good grades for a redemption contract but his play did nothing to help this year. 

I mean I could go on and on how this guy hasn't matured at all but I know a lot of Cam fans don't want to hear about it or just deflect it off. 

I mean I could go on and on how this guy hasn't matured at all but I know a lot of Cam fans don't want to hear about it or just deflect it off. 
or you could just have some weird agenda against him.  :shrug:

I'd love for you to back up some of these wild allegations.

Patriots re-signed Cam Newton to a one-year contract worth around $14 million. 

It marks a huge increase over the $1.1 million the veteran made with the Patriots in 2020. Newton's first year with the Patriots was an unmitigated disaster, thanks largely to the circumstances of the NFL's COVID-19 season. Newton, who had to learn a new offense in a shortened offseason program, said he never recovered from missing multiple weeks on the COVID list following a promising start to the year. "I was behind and I was thinking too much," Newton said in February. “The offense kept going and I was stagnant for two weeks." Newton's return to New England seemed possible after the Boston Globe reported in February that head coach Bill Belichick had "done nothing but rave" about Newton. The team adopted a massively run-heavy offense with Newton under center, resulting in a shockingly low eight touchdown passes in 15 games for Newton (to go along with 10 interceptions). The Pats are reportedly interested in drafting one of the top QBs available in this spring's NFL Draft -- an essential move since they clearly see Newton as a bridge quarterback. 

SOURCE: Jim McBride on Twitter

Mar 12, 2021, 8:24 AM ET

Patriots re-signing QB Cam Newton to one-year deal

Excerpt:

Newton played 2020 in New England on a one-year, $1.75 million contract with heavy incentives. The 31-year-old started 15 games, completing 65.8 percent of his passes for 2,657 yards, with eight TDs and 10 INTs. His passer rating of 82.9 placed him 22th overall among qualifying QBs, per NFL Research. Newton also added 592 rushing yards and 12 TDs on the ground.

Cam missed one game after testing positive for COVID-19 early in the season. The QB said this offseason that missing that time put him behind and partially led to his struggles later in the 2020 season.

Newton was last in passing YPG (177.1) and TD-INT ratio among 26 QBs with 10-plus starts in 2020. However, Newton accounted for 13 of the Patriots' 32 scrimmage TDs in 2020 (40.6 percent), the highest percentage by any player in the NFL -- next-closest QB was Arizona's Kyler Murray with 22.4 percent.

I am not enthused either. He seemed to struggle to get the ball downfield last season. Since it is one year deal hopefully they draft a qb anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread