Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Cam Newton

rickyg

Patriots re-signing QB Cam Newton to one-year deal

Excerpt:

Newton played 2020 in New England on a one-year, $1.75 million contract with heavy incentives. The 31-year-old started 15 games, completing 65.8 percent of his passes for 2,657 yards, with eight TDs and 10 INTs. His passer rating of 82.9 placed him 22th overall among qualifying QBs, per NFL Research. Newton also added 592 rushing yards and 12 TDs on the ground.

Cam missed one game after testing positive for COVID-19 early in the season. The QB said this offseason that missing that time put him behind and partially led to his struggles later in the 2020 season.

Newton was last in passing YPG (177.1) and TD-INT ratio among 26 QBs with 10-plus starts in 2020. However, Newton accounted for 13 of the Patriots' 32 scrimmage TDs in 2020 (40.6 percent), the highest percentage by any player in the NFL -- next-closest QB was Arizona's Kyler Murray with 22.4 percent.

I was just reading that they wanted to have someone in place to be able to entice free agents to want to sign with NE. What free agent would look at Cam and say . . . I was looking at a couple other teams, but now I know that CAM is coming back, cancel those calls, HELLO NEW ENGLAND! The same article mentioned Jimmy G is still their first choice. IMO, dropping $14 mil on Cam takes them out of the Jimmy G equation. No way are they going to shell out that kind of money for just the QB position.

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1

3 minutes ago, Anarchy99 said:

I was just reading that they wanted to have someone in place to be able to entice free agents to want to sign with NE. What free agent would look at Cam and say . . . I was looking at a couple other teams, but now I know that CAM is coming back, cancel those calls, HELLO NEW ENGLAND! The same article mentioned Jimmy G is still their first choice. IMO, dropping $14 mil on Cam takes them out of the Jimmy G equation. No way are they going to shell out that kind of money for just the QB position.

How much of Cams 14 million is guaranteed? I wonder if it is flexible and leaves little dead cap if a better veteran comes along.

2 minutes ago, Blackbear said:

How much of Cams 14 million is guaranteed? I wonder if it is flexible and leaves little dead cap if a better veteran comes along.

It is said to be incentive-laden. Not sure that what means.

Bucky Brooks @BuckyBrooks

Made sense for both parties to run it back. Give Cam a full offseason to master the playbook to see if he can become more efficient in the passing game. The deal also gives the Patriots a QB1 on the cheap while they continue to look for a long-term answer at position. #NFL

https://twitter.com/buckybrooks/status/1370373597777203200?s=21

9 minutes ago, Desert_Power said:

Doesn't change at all that NE needs a starting QB.

This tells me that they won’t be signing a free agent QB and won’t be trading for a QB. That leaves drafting a QB. IMO, if they aren’t willing to trade up to draft one, then Cam will be the starter in 2021. If they do draft one of the early QBs, then maybe they start came and move on to the rookie later in the season or in 2022.  

Makes sense if they surround him with talent at skill positions. I can’t think of a team other than the Jets with worse skill position players. 

They have some work to do but they have the cash to really upgrade at WR and TE. Aside from Myers that receiving/tight end group is pretty bad.

• Like 1

Mike Garafolo tweeted . . .
Cam Newton's contract with the #Patriots has a $5 million base value, according to sources: $2m signing bonus $1.5m base salary (guaranteed) $1.5m total in per-game roster bonuses The rest ($9m) is in incentives for playoffs, Pro Bowl, All-Pro, MVP, Super Bowl MVP, etc.

IMO, that's backup money . . . with escalators if he starts a ton and way more money if he is a legit / strong starting QB.

NFL Network's Mike Garafolo reports Cam Newton's one-year contract with the Patriots includes $5 million in base value.

It's vastly different language from the initial report that stated Newton had re-signed for $14 million. He'll receive a $2 million signing bonus and $1.5 million in guaranteed money and per-game bonuses, but the remaining $9 million will have to be accrued via longshot incentives for the playoffs, Pro Bowl, All-Pro, MVP, Super Bowl MVP, etc. The Patriots still have the third-most cap space ($68.64 million) in the NFL and will likely look to address its offense with a majority of that number, quarterback included.

SOURCE: Mike Garafolo on Twitter

Mar 12, 2021, 3:27 PM ET

ok that makes more sense, but Cam will struggle if Bill doesn't get him to change his mechanics. He's an all arm-upper body thrower with a arm that's shot... he needs to use his legs and hips more to get more velocity and distance in his throws.

23 minutes ago, The Frankman said:

ok that makes more sense, but Cam will struggle if Bill doesn't get him to change his mechanics. He's an all arm-upper body thrower with a arm that's shot... he needs to use his legs and hips more to get more velocity and distance in his throws.

Lol, guy in the twilight of his career, “you need to change your mechanics...”

• Like 1

As an observer, it seemed to me they tried to turn him into a pure pocket passer last year. He pretty ran the ball on designed running plays and really didn’t scramble a ton. The problem became his pocket presence and positioning weren’t great. So he’d be too close to the LOS and have no way to step into throws. He’d get sacked, stripped, have the ball deflected, or throw a duck for a pick out of that. Add into that he held the ball too long or didn’t identify a blitz and things often weren’t great. 

Edited by Anarchy99

11 minutes ago, Anarchy99 said:

As an observer, it seemed to me they tried to turn him into a pure pocket passer last year. He pretty ran the ball on designed running plays and really didn’t scramble a ton. The problem became his pocket presence and positioning weren’t great. So he’d be too close to the LOS and have no way to step into throws. He’d get sacked, stripped, have the ball deflected, or throw a duck for a pick out of that. Add into that he held the ball too long or didn’t identify a blitz and things often weren’t great. 

This is the definition of a bad qb. 

5 hours ago, Snorkelson said:

Lol, guy in the twilight of his career, “you need to change your mechanics...”

The great players do whatever it takes to hang on, even if it means reinventing yourself. Jordan did it; the only real roadblock is way of thinking and if the player has the work ethic to do it. Cam is a known workout demon, so it's really his/Bill's awareness that is the issue. I mean if he thinks he can still be successful with his diminished shoulder strength (i.e. Brees, Rivers, etc.) then more power to him.

6 hours ago, Anarchy99 said:

IMO, that's backup money . . . with escalators if he starts a ton and way more money if he is a legit / strong starting QB.

What's the good of it being backup money if you're unable to develop anyone at the skill positions with him on the field?

9 minutes ago, The Frankman said:

The great players do whatever it takes to hang on, even if it means reinventing yourself. Jordan did it; the only real roadblock is way of thinking and if the player has the work ethic to do it. Cam is a known workout demon, so it's really his/Bill's awareness that is the issue. I mean if he thinks he can still be successful with his diminished shoulder strength (i.e. Brees, Rivers, etc.) then more power to him.

Are you talking about comeback Jordan reinventing himself? Because that was just learning to play with a Charles Barkley body....Cams whole game has been based on his running ability and being tough to bring down, extending plays and firing it downfield. He’s never been what you’d call an accurate passer. He did his best work with guys who had enormous catch radius like benji and funchess. He isn’t going to suddenly become a good passer. He’s thrown 20+ tds only 5 times. He has had 3 seasons with a winning record. Great players do what it takes to hang on; maybe Newton isn’t a great player. 

An interesting nugget they mentioned on the NFL Network was that NE receivers last year averaged the third most separation in the league, behind only KC and GB. So some of the narrative that the Patriots receiving corps is total trash is a bit overblown. Cam just wasn’t great at connecting with them and many of his throws were just inaccurate. 

12 hours ago, Balco said:

Makes sense if they surround him with talent at skill positions. I can’t think of a team other than the Jets with worse skill position players. 

They have some work to do but they have the cash to really upgrade at WR and TE. Aside from Myers that receiving/tight end group is pretty bad.

I heard the Patriots may be interested in signing Kyle Rudolph who isnt that great as a receiver but he is generally sure handed and very tall. He also has improved his blocking a lot the last 2 seasons.

2 hours ago, Snorkelson said:

Are you talking about comeback Jordan reinventing himself? Because that was just learning to play with a Charles Barkley body....Cams whole game has been based on his running ability and being tough to bring down, extending plays and firing it downfield. He’s never been what you’d call an accurate passer. He did his best work with guys who had enormous catch radius like benji and funchess. He isn’t going to suddenly become a good passer. He’s thrown 20+ tds only 5 times. He has had 3 seasons with a winning record. Great players do what it takes to hang on; maybe Newton isn’t a great player. 

I was curious about this since I dont think Benjamin or Funchess are good receivers. I know this was the teams philosophy at the time, they wanted big receivers for Cam to get the ball to in the end zone and not have to run it in so much.

From a efficiency stand point Cams best season was 2018. 67.8 completion percentage that year which looks anomalous compared to his career completion percentage of 60.1% (several years below 60% for him). 2019 he had CMC DJ Moore Curtis Samuel and Greg Olson to work with.

2015 was his best year by QBR and he had Olsen (top receiver) Ted Ginn (49% catch rate makes me want to puke) Funchess (only started 5 games) Corey Brown Jerricho Cotchery. 

His highest passing yards in a season still remains his rookie year which was also the high water mark for passing attempts from him.

Last year with the Patroits he did complete 65% of his passes which is closer to 2018 than the rest of his career. 

9 hours ago, Anarchy99 said:

An interesting nugget they mentioned on the NFL Network was that NE receivers last year averaged the third most separation in the league, behind only KC and GB. So some of the narrative that the Patriots receiving corps is total trash is a bit overblown. Cam just wasn’t great at connecting with them and many of his throws were just inaccurate. 

I'm having a hard time believing the "top rated in separation" claim based on what I watched all last year.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, SeniorVBDStudent said:

I'm having a hard time believing the "top rated in separation" claim based on what I watched all last year.

I believe Meyers separated well. Edelman of course got hurt. But he always separates well. Where it fell short was Harry and whomever played te going by they eye test. Harry really seemed like he lacked ability to separate. Curtis Samuel would add some speed to the line up. 

Edited by Blackbear

What are the odds DBs were trying to bait Cam into throwing it since they might have known they didn't need to play so tight? JK but if I was convinced he couldn't get it downfield I might very well leave my guy a little open and try to get a jump on it. I'm sure that isn't something DBs that aren't named PrimeTime would do but still. The guy couldn't hit water if he was standing in a boat last year and we're not the only ones that could see it.

In all seriousness I like the guy a lot and I hope this is a product of his shoulder injury and not age in and of itself. If so it is possible that it will return to form still. I think this is a great win win signing for him and the Patriots and I expect them to treat him like a bridge starter after they draft someone high this year. Even if they make a play for Jimmy G or some other FA that comes in and starts, Cam as a backup is fine. And allows you to extend the clock one more year on answering the question of whether his shoulder will come back or not. The downside is very low. 

34 minutes ago, Boston said:

I don't have a clue how anyone who watched the Pats last year can not see that Cam is washed up.

As a once huge Cam fan its sad to see.  If someone wants to argue he isnt all you have to do is look at the game logs from last year and look at every game after he threw 20 or more times.  Its brutal and his arm is completely shot

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pantherclub said:

As a once huge Cam fan its sad to see.  If someone wants to argue he isnt all you have to do is look at the game logs from last year and look at every game after he threw 20 or more times.  Its brutal and his arm is completely shot

I agree he looked terrible last year. The Pats seem to think that it was a result of injuries and no real training camp or maybe both? I have no idea how they saw him last year and decided to bring him back

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Anarchy99 said:

Don’t hate the messenger. LINK

No hate.  I saw plenty from Cam that looked bad...but this statistic makes me question its efficacy.  When is it measured?  How is affected by depth of pass?  The notion that 2020 was the year of Patriots receiving threats running free is off.

Louis Riddick @LRiddickESPN

Cam signed late in the process last year, was coming off  injury, learning an entirely new system w/entirely new terminology without any off season work in the system, no legit perimeter weapons, got COVID, missed a lot of practice time...BUT most of you miss that. Interesting.

https://twitter.com/lriddickespn/status/1370508421297008643?s=21

Louis Riddick @LRiddickESPN

This year will be a much more accurate sample of where he is at this point in his career. I’ll reserve my judgement until then, knowing what I know about the challenges he faced in 2020.

https://twitter.com/lriddickespn/status/1370510198234701826?s=21

• 5 weeks later...
1 hour ago, JohnnyU said:

I have my doubts he makes it through the entire 2021 season as the starter.

Certainly that would depend on who the options are. I don't think the Pats will invest the draft picks needed to jump up 11 spots in the draft. So unless their guy falls to 10 or 11, I doubt they will move up for a QB. If the 5th QB falls to them, then maybe they take that guy, but I have a suspicion that if Jones falls to them they might not take him. I think there are still plenty of people that feel Jones should be a Day 2 pick. NE may take a QB they hope they can develop in Round 2. So if the choice is Newton, Stidham, or Mond (or similar player) then I think Newton would start all year if he were healthy and they were winning. There are a lot of football people talking up Cam will bounce back after (insert any of 12,648 excuses as to why things didn't work last year) but everything will be different this season. I'm not buying what they are selling, but if they don't have another QB option then they will pretty much have to play Cam.

The other option that keeps popping up is Garoppolo, but as mentioned elsewhere I don't think BB would part with the pick it will take to get him and without a major overhaul to their cap situation they couldn't afford him anyway. Lots of things would have to happen for Jimmy G. to make it back to NE. I guess there is a chance it somehow could happen, but I would say there is a far greater chance that it won't happen.

If you meant more that he won't make it through the season because he will get hurt, then obviously they would be forced into Plan B (whoever that may be).

1 hour ago, JohnnyU said:

I have my doubts he makes it through the entire 2021 season as the starter.

If he does the Pats season is over before it begins and that's too bad because they have done a great job with the rest of the roster.

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking following Thursday's selection of Alabama QB Mac Jones at No. 15 overall, Patriots coach Bill Belichick said Cam Newton remained the team's starting quarterback. 

“Cam’s our quarterback," Belichick claimed. "Whatever time Jarrett (Stidham) or Mac are ready to challenge and compete, then we’ll see how that goes.” Including Stidham in his competition comments was an extra nice touch. Everyone reading this knows the score — Jones is going to start games in 2021 — but Belichick is the kind of coach who might still roll with the veteran in Newton to begin the year. We really don't have anything to go on since the Patriots have not been in this situation for two decades. A 32-year-old (next month) who has seen it all at this stage of his career, Newton will be an ideal mentor for fellow SEC product Jones. 

RELATED: 

Mac Jones

SOURCE: Mike Reiss on Twitter 

Apr 30, 2021, 12:36 AM ET

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Patriots QB Cam Newton is working with a throwing coach to "rebuild some of his fundamentals" this offseason.

ESPN's Mike Reiss added that Patriots players noticed a difference in Newton's throwing during voluntary workouts. Newton struggled as a passer in his first season with New England. He threw two more interceptions than touchdowns and was primarily useful as a runner. The long-time Panther suffered a shoulder injury in 2018 that forced him to change his throwing motion. Newton underwent shoulder surgery following the injury and hasn't looked as accurate since the procedure. If Newton can take a step forward as a passer, he would once again be one of the hardest quarterbacks for defenses to scheme against. Any improvements would also help him hold off Mac Jones as the starter. Newton's rushing ability will keep him in the QB1 conversation for fantasy as long as he starts but it's unlikely we see him take the field for all 16 games of Jones's rookie season.

SOURCE: ESPN

May 23, 2021, 2:30 PM ET

I hope Cam actually sticks with this, he's needed to redo his motion for 5 years. He's all upper body and shoulders and doesn't use his legs/waist at all.