What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (28 Viewers)

You do realize people are going to be stuck holding shares at the peak when these things collapse.

Most of the strategic posts on WSB seem to be "when you sell at/near the peak, the only people buying are the shorts who have to cover their position. No rational investor sees GME at $300 and thinks that's the right price for a long term hold. So just wait until the shorts are forced to cover, and sell to them"

CNBC Host: "You don't think this calls into light the integrity of Wall Street?"

:lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:  :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: 

The downstream effect of this could be huge, if it's bank holdings that are in the mix of these hedge funds, (Think trust departments for high net worth) and the banks have loaned against the HNW accounts that are now defunct or zeroed out.  

Not only are you looking at these HNW people walking on the banks, the underwriting goes in the weeds.   While this isn't great depression territory, it casts a shadow over it.
Start hiding tall buildings

Most of the strategic posts on WSB seem to be "when you sell at/near the peak, the only people buying are the shorts who have to cover their position. No rational investor sees GME at $300 and thinks that's the right price for a long term hold. So just wait until the shorts are forced to cover, and sell to them"
That's not how this works.  Not when 150% of the float is shorted.

CNBC Host: "You don't think this calls into light the integrity of Wall Street?"

:lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:  :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: 
Dying inside 

I predict that GME will for a very very long time trade over its fundamental value now - even after the inevitable tumble.  That the "screwed" price will still be higher than it otherwise would be.  Mainly because I think that people who cleaned up will always keep some GME stock as like a sorta trophy.  It'll be a mascot stock.

-QG

I get the rationale. It's just not realistic. Real people ARE going to get stuck with overpriced shares of these stocks.

This could get really ugly if it manifests in the Reddit Community discovering how to Short.  They could decide that they don't like a companies business practices (for whatever reason), and drive the stock down to pennies.
Yep. Delta hedging works both ways. I wouldn't want to be on a desk doing that this week.

Not going to express love for Chamath but this guy is gobbling up this host.  Host guy and other analysts concern-trolling for naive nubes is very very rich.

-QG

That's not how this works.  Not when 150% of the float is shorted.
This is exactly how it works.  The bigger the percentage of float share that is shorted, the less risk for the Bulls.

GME - bulls buy until it hits $100.  Hold.  Now Short margin calls forces the first round of shorts to buy back the stock.  Drives stock higher.  2nd round of margin calls force shorts to buy back.  Drives price higher.  Etc.

Most of the Bulls are not buying stock at this price.

LMFAO Chamath is blasting the walls off of the CNBC Production Studio rn.

"Are you concerned there may be some retail investors left holding bags?"

Chamath: "Where was this message in 2008?"
I like some of the stuff he's saying but he's being a #### to The Judge who has always come off as a righteous dude.

This is exactly how it works.  The bigger the percentage of float share that is shorted, the less risk for the Bulls.

GME - bulls buy until it hits $100.  Hold.  Now Short margin calls forces the first round of shorts to buy back the stock.  Drives stock higher.  2nd round of margin calls force shorts to buy back.  Drives price higher.  Etc.

Most of the Bulls are not buying stock at this price.
Are you sure?  In a situation where the longs all sell out, they are not selling to reduce the float, and longs that are selling are chasing air.  I need to get a flowchart out or something to walk myself thru this.

Will some naive little guys get hurt here?  Yep.  But the portion of that loss in absolute terms and even as a percentage of their own personal net value is not remotely close to the pigs who got themselves into this over 100% short situation

-QG
Exactly.  90% of profits will come from Shorts.

LMFAO Chamath is blasting the walls off of the CNBC Production Studio rn.

"Are you concerned there may be some retail investors left holding bags?"

Chamath: "Where was this message in 2008?"
Great interview. Must watch tv. Host is way over his skis. Honestly who cares if these hedge funds get crushed. 

You’d have to have balls of steel to be a new short right now. 
If you were considering shorting it at $20, how much more money does it look like you can make shorting it at $319? Assume you're an arrogant ##### with a ton of access to $$, and you're certain the snowflakes will run out of stimulus money before you can possibly break.

Why not a fan?  Tailing Chamath SPACs Social Cap, has been $.  
Person/personality wise sets off bells in me - it is apart from this particular convo where he is killing this host.  Not inclined to go into worship mode on him.  :shrug:  

-QG

If you were considering shorting it at $20, how much more money does it look like you can make shorting it at $319? Assume you're an arrogant ##### with a ton of access to $$, and you're certain the snowflakes will run out of stimulus money before you can possibly break.
I don’t have balls of steel but GameStop is not a 319 stock and this trade will turn sometime soon.  Picking that time is hard though. 

So they are willing to ride it up to 700? 800 just on the understanding it will eventually crash? Like I said, that takes balls. 

So they are willing to ride it up to 700? 800 just on the understanding it will eventually crash? Like I said, that takes balls. 
It takes huge amounts of money.  Banks aren't going to loan you 10 Billion dollars, if they were they'd simply cut the middle man and short the thing themselves. 

I don’t have balls of steel but GameStop is not a 319 stock and this trade will turn sometime soon.  Picking that time is hard though. 
One element that gets late entries killed in these scenarios is the geometric factor of the price increase.

Getting in at $333 and GME going to $1000 Is functionally the same of course as if you had got in at $33 and got out at $100.  But judgement gets clouded a little with the extra 0 at the end.  (i.e. the MASSIVE epic scores on GameStop are done and dusted).  

This the class of little guys that ger fried.

(For the record - there are better entities for these guys to donate their 'winnings' to and that colors my view on these guys...but I digress)

-QG

Users who are viewing this thread