Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Stock Thread

12 minutes ago, TripItUp said:

Initially I was at 5...but it's ran so much I'm up to 10 simply because it's outganining everything else...signficantly.

Tom Lee upped his BTC price forecast to 100K for 20201.  Food for thought.

Well yeah, by then we'll be dead

• Like 1
  • Laughing 5

Just now, General Malaise said:
15 minutes ago, hooter311 said:

It may have been before yesterday's Tesla announcement.  At this point we are past the point of no return.  Even if all hell breaks loose every where, there is no scenario I can think of that would prevent it reaching 6 figures in the next 4 years.

I think it happens in the next 6 months, but I realize nobody wants to hear an ultra bull day in and day out.

Inflation is coming.  Bitcoin is finite.  Crypto is here to stay.  Negative interest rates and a war on cash aren't science fiction anymore.  Blockchain is the most important invention since the printing press.

I'll tone it down to 3%...and that would be for someone who doesn't use the internet.

Expand  

For those of us that can't afford a bitcoin and especially those of us who can't figure out how to buy a bitcoin, is playing stocks like DMGGF or Hive Blockchain the next best things?  Because I do want some torque related to bitcoin, but I'm still confused and frightened of the whole thing.  Like, I still don't know what it is.  In my head, it's like a mushroom that comes out of a brick when Mario's head hits it.

That's all I got. 

i like the stars a little better because not only are they neat looking but they make mario flash like crazy and the music gets jaunty look that is all i am sayin take that to the bank bromigos 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, General Malaise said:

For those of us that can't afford a bitcoin and especially those of us who can't figure out how to buy a bitcoin, is playing stocks like DMGGF or Hive Blockchain the next best things?  Because I do want some torque related to bitcoin, but I'm still confused and frightened of the whole thing.  Like, I still don't know what it is.  In my head, it's like a mushroom that comes out of a brick when Mario's head hits it.

That's all I got. 

Honestly, using an app like cash app, paypal, and robinhood all make it incredibly easy to trade crypto without having to worry about wallets and keys and hackers and what not.

You don't have to buy an entire bitcoin.  You could buy $10 worth a week and still have a ton to show for it in a few years.

In tax advantages accounts like Ira's you can buy GBTC which is a trust that just holds btc.  1 share is equivalent to holding roughly 1/1030th of a btc and they trade at a small premium.

4 minutes ago, hooter311 said:

People are underestimating just how much blockchain technology is going to change the world.

It's going to be implemented in everything from gambling, banking, art, trading cards, gaming, anything and everything that a ledger, transparency, and scarcity would have any use.

And bitcoin is the big daddy.  Try not to look at it as anything but a store of value at this point if that helps.  This next generational wave of wealth transfer is gonna be huge. My own father the other day grumbled "and what's bitcoin in the end? Just a piece of iron!"

I am 100% behind blockchain technology as the future of security (and biometrics).  So where do we invest in those?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hooter311 said:

People are underestimating just how much blockchain technology is going to change the world.

It's going to be implemented in everything from gambling, banking, art, trading cards, gaming, anything and everything that a ledger, transparency, and scarcity would have any use.

And bitcoin is the big daddy.  Try not to look at it as anything but a store of value at this point if that helps.  This next generational wave of wealth transfer is gonna be huge. My own father the other day grumbled "and what's bitcoin in the end? Just a piece of iron!"

An unsteady store of value. 

I just won't go plop a chunk down now on it. I can see twinkling in over the next few months. 

1 minute ago, hooter311 said:

Honestly, using an app like cash app, paypal, and robinhood all make it incredibly easy to trade crypto without having to worry about wallets and keys and hackers and what not.

You don't have to buy an entire bitcoin.  You could buy $10 worth a week and still have a ton to show for it in a few years.

In tax advantages accounts like Ira's you can buy GBTC which is a trust that just holds btc.  1 share is equivalent to holding roughly 1/1030th of a btc and they trade at a small premium.

I've got some cash left to allocate in my 401K.  Probably late to the party for this but considering taking a little.

Just now, Leeroy Jenkins said:

I am 100% behind blockchain technology as the future of security (and biometrics).  So where do we invest in those?

I'd love to find out and will do some DD of my own into the topic and report back.

Thank you for the lead!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, hooter311 said:

I notice that you left out 'ethically sourced cobalt mining'.  

Not a plug for Cobalt Blockchain. :mellow:

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, General Malaise said:

I notice that you left out 'ethically sourced cobalt mining'.  

Not a plug for Cobalt Blockchain. :mellow:

I have to ask, weren't you the one on BEEM?  Still holding?  I almost took the leap on a bit, checked the chart the other day and realized what a gaffe that was.

1 minute ago, -OZ- said:

I just won't go plop a chunk down now on it. I can see twinkling in over the next few months. 

They are lined up around the corner to buy the dip at this point.  This is where scarcity works in our favor.  Btc transfers from weak hands to strong hands in these dips.

Dudes richer than me now hold the bitcoin I used to.  I think about that often.

:shrug:

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, hooter311 said:

Thank you for this.

I do see an option in PayPal to buy Bitcoin. I think I'll do just that as I view my PayPal account as a slush fund my wife doesn't know a thing about.  Well, yet.... :oldunsure:

GBTC - adding now, thanks GB. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, -OZ- said:

I'm sure a lot of people said that in December when GBTC was at $20. It just crossed $48. Guessing it'll be in the $60s or $70s in the next few months. 

It's not without risk, but BTC has officially crossed out of "wild speculative" and is now rapidly becoming deeply entrenched in institutional investment strategy. It's a "real" vehicle now. Get in while the getting's good.

GBTC has literally annihilated everything else in my portfolio over the last couple months. I expect that to continue for the next couple months... at least. 

Edited by [icon]
  • Like 2
  • Thinking 1

11 minutes ago, hooter311 said:

I was heavily involved in blockchain starting back in 2014. I ran blockchain hackathons, developed use cases for the company I worked for, blah, blah. I still have trouble picturing blockchain changing the world. It's been 12 years since the white paper that the Satoshi guy(s) was published online, I feel like if it was world-changing it would have happened already. :2cents:  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wild Young Billy said:

I was heavily involved in blockchain starting back in 2014. I ran blockchain hackathons, developed use cases for the company I worked for, blah, blah. I still have trouble picturing blockchain changing the world. It's been 12 years since the white paper that the Satoshi guy(s) was published online, I feel like if it was world-changing it would have happened already. :2cents:  

Change happens gradually then suddenly. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, [icon] said:

I'm sure a lot of people said that in December when GBTC was at $20. It just crossed $45. Guessing it'll be in the $50s or the $60s in the next few months. 

A few speculative stocks can say the same.

I'm not saying you're wrong. You make fair points. 

19 minutes ago, Worm said:

ARK Big Ideas presentation from last month says the following:

"According to our research, if all S&P 500 companies were to allocate 1% of their cash to bitcoin,1 its price could increase by approximately $40,000."

Tesla taking this step is a big one.

[Btw, it asserts that if those same companies increased their btc allocation to 10% of their cash, btc price would increase by $400k...]

:goodposting:

9 minutes ago, hooter311 said:

They are lined up around the corner to buy the dip at this point.  This is where scarcity works in our favor.  Btc transfers from weak hands to strong hands in these dips.

Dudes richer than me now hold the bitcoin I used to.  I think about that often.

:shrug:

Would you go GBTC over Bitcoin at Coinbase?

Just now, -OZ- said:

A few speculative stocks can say the same.

I'm not saying you're wrong. You make fair points. 

The problem lies in thinking GBTC is a speculative stock. They hold BTC. BTC is being gobbled up by institutional investors at a rate that dwarfs it's production, driving it's value skyward. They can't make more to compensate. It's literally not possible. 

1 minute ago, Wild Young Billy said:

Wow, thank you for your perspective.  It honestly catches me a little off guard because it feels like blockchain is changing the world.

They are selling $100k blockchain "sports cards" as we speak...

https://ca.nba.com/news/what-is-nba-top-shot-explaining-the-blockchain-nba-highlight-collectables/18nram5ye1ub01hres3lkk3xvd

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Agreed, wish I jumped in during the Fall, but I wouldn’t feel comfortable with that much.

Honestly, what’s driving the price is purely more people buying it. Rather than sit in cash. Reminds me of the Silver TikTok I saw about how the price of silver (when WSBs was buying) would go through the roof if everyone bought some. This seems like the same type of situation where @hooter311 (he was correct and I may still take a plunge) is going to say 10% because he does know that he’ll make a killing if everyone did that. I don’t hedge with 10% gold today so it seems like a lot.

It is absolutely FOMO right now and Elon absolutely knows he can move the market so Tesla will profit by saying they are involved after they’ve already made a purchase. It’s interesting because on the one hand you want to get in on it but on the other hand it’s got all the signs of a pump and dump. Again, no offense to people pumping, but they are. I’m still a little sad that I almost bought but didn’t. I’d be pumping the crap out of it too if I had a sizable chunk.

You in at any level and if you added how/what would you buy?

Just now, CGRdrJoe said:

Would you go GBTC over Bitcoin at Coinbase?

He's the expert but IMO outside investment accounts like IRAs, BTC is likely superior to GBTC. 

The benefit of GBTC is it's tradability within standard investment accounts, and I suppose tax implications depending how that shakes out. 

• Like 2

Just now, Shula-holic said:

I have to ask, weren't you the one on BEEM?  Still holding?  I almost took the leap on a bit, checked the chart the other day and realized what a gaffe that was.

BEEM got to be almost 50% of my entire portfolio and that's just stupid.  It wasn't by design; my cost basis on Envision Solar (before the name change to BEEM) was like $12.  So, I sold 10% at $62.60 on Jan 6th (was a little nervous about that whole Capitol thing and raised some cash) and then sold 50% of the remaining position at $56 as I started getting nervous.

It's still my largest single holding and my son owns shares in his account.  I sold half of his shares at $58 which I didn't want to do because this is a taxable account, but it would have been foolish not to take profits and we'll deal with the taxman when the time comes.  

Biggest five holdings right now and I don't expect much change in this:

1)  BEEM
2)  NKE
3)  APPL
4) BEN
5) WSC

Total portfolio 30 names currently.  No silver, no gold, which is highly unusual for me.  Also, NO CASH*.  LESSSSSSSSSSSSSSGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

*In my trading accounts.  My wife is risk averse and keeps cash in our joint accounts.  A good counter balance to my riverboat gambling style. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

In for 5,000 STMH @ .92

Thread is moving so fast I couldn't find who to thank, but thank you. Company looks solid. Fully reporting on OTCQB. Transparent. Not a ton of outstanding shares. Love the vertically integrated angle. Lots of licenses as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, [icon] said:

The problem lies in thinking GBTC is a speculative stock. They hold BTC. BTC is being gobbled up by institutional investors at a rate that dwarfs it's production, driving it's value skyward. They can't make more to compensate. It's literally not possible. 

Truth.

Square, paypal, and grayscale are each buying more bitcoin each month than what is being mined.  These companies take it off the market and locked up in trusts.  We are running out of sellers as we speak.  The supply crisis is looming.  The gme squeeze will pale in comparison to the bitcoin supply crisis.

7 minutes ago, [icon] said:

He's the expert but IMO outside investment accounts like IRAs, BTC is likely superior to GBTC. 

The benefit of GBTC is it's tradability within standard investment accounts, and I suppose tax implications depending how that shakes out. 

This is exactly how I feel.  I keep gbtc in tax advantaged accounts and actual btc in my personal savings.

12 minutes ago, [icon] said:

If we're talking crypto currency, they are making more. It isn't Bitcoin, and that will probably be the gold standard, but it will probably get to the point where it currencies are used and Bitcoin is held. That might be great for the value, I don't know. 

For the record, I'm no financial expert.  My opinions are for entertainment only. 

For instance, last Saturday I dropped acid and watched the 1994 royal rumble.

I'm barely an adult and I still take a whiff of every marker I've ever opened.

• Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Laughing 8

14 minutes ago, NajehHejan said:

In for 5,000 STMH @ .92

Thread is moving so fast I couldn't find who to thank, but thank you. Company looks solid. Fully reporting on OTCQB. Transparent. Not a ton of outstanding shares. Love the vertically integrated angle. Lots of licenses as well.

Think it was @St. Louis Bob

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, General Malaise said:

That's all I got. 

I bought some BTC & LiteCoin yesterday in my PayPal account.  They hold it and everything so isn't nearly as confusing as it was.  Of course there's a fee for this but it's minimal.

Edited by 2Squirrels1Nut

16 minutes ago, NajehHejan said:

In for 5,000 STMH @ .92

I'm still slightly irritated that my order a while ago was partially filled, for 30 shares when I ordered thousands.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, hooter311 said:

For the record, I'm no financial expert.  My opinions are for entertainment only. 

Shut up and take my money!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Laughing 3

1 minute ago, 2Squirrels1Nut said:

I bought some yesterday in my PayPal account.  They hold it and everything so isn't nearly as confusing as it was.  Of course there's a fee for this but it's minimal.

I saw it earlier but now I don't. How did you get to it?

I definitely thought hooter 90s band was a professional.

• Laughing 2

1 minute ago, 2Squirrels1Nut said:

I bought some yesterday in my PayPal account.  They hold it and everything so isn't nearly as confusing as it was.  Of course there's a fee for this but it's minimal.

Same here, bought .1 via PayPal in the late fall(?). Whenever it was around $18-$20,000

• Like 1

:lol: Right there with you.  I'm NO expert. But thanks to a lot of your posts, and a lot of reading... I think I'm seeing this as the early-mid-ish stages of one of the most significant "gold rushes" of our lifetimes. 

• Love 1

7 minutes ago, -OZ- said:

If we're talking crypto currency, they are making more. It isn't Bitcoin, and that will probably be the gold standard, but it will probably get to the point where it currencies are used and Bitcoin is held. That might be great for the value, I don't know. 

Well see, this is another thing I'm having trouble grasping.  3-4 years ago, there over a THOUSAND different cryptocurrencies with names like Dragon Milk Semencoin.  Did those just vanish?  And how are all these things worth anything?  I mean if I pull up a gram of gold from the dirt, I can explain away its value.  But a BitKitty?  I don't get how it has any worth.  

I guess you could say a dollar printed from a press is no different.  Or a baseball card.  My head needs a hit and a nap.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

$DM took has taken a little dip today.

It's been getting a lot of attention. My son randomly mentioned last night that he saw something about a cool company on TikTok that does 3D printing, and that I should invest in it. I asked if it was Desktop Metal (the only such company I'm familiar with), he confirmed, and I told him I was in since early Jan and had doubled my money. Boy was he impressed, thought I was a gangster. I did not tell him I blindly tailed someone from the internet. Anyway, I just added some. 

• Like 4
  • Laughing 3