• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fantasycurse42

• stbugs

• BassNBrew

• Capella

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Trying to time bottoms is very hard. If you believe in the company long term I feel this price is a very strong entry point long term. Set it and forget for a while. When it doubles....take your

I will make a wager. If this stock hits $420.69 before this earnings call on March 31st, I will pass out 100 FBG subscriptions to the gents in the stock thread.

sponks

23 minutes ago, hooter311 said:

This is exactly how I feel.  I keep gbtc in tax advantaged accounts and actual btc in my personal savings.

Why tax advantaged? It’s taxed higher?

32 minutes ago, NajehHejan said:

In for 5,000 STMH @ .92

Thread is moving so fast I couldn't find who to thank, but thank you. Company looks solid. Fully reporting on OTCQB. Transparent. Not a ton of outstanding shares. Love the vertically integrated angle. Lots of licenses as well.

I've been big on it for the past month or so after I saw they bought Driven the delivery company and it's where I buy my weed in PDX. I also worked with a few of their folks in the industry who are/were very sharp.

• Thanks 2
4 minutes ago, GoBirds said:

Why tax advantaged? It’s taxed higher?

Because we are going to make so much money with it, having to pay taxes on it would suck.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, urbanhack said:

I've been big on it for the past month or so after I saw they bought Driven the delivery company and it's where I buy my weed in PDX. I also worked with a few of their folks in the industry who are/were very sharp.

Huh.  I buy my weed from you.  :oldunsure:

• Like 1
  • Laughing 4
  • Thinking 1
58 minutes ago, hooter311 said:

People are underestimating just how much blockchain technology is going to change the world.

It's going to be implemented in everything from gambling, banking, art, trading cards, gaming, anything and everything that a ledger, transparency, and scarcity would have any use.

And bitcoin is the big daddy.  Try not to look at it as anything but a store of value at this point if that helps.  This next generational wave of wealth transfer is gonna be huge. My own father the other day grumbled "and what's bitcoin in the end? Just a piece of iron!"

I’m sure you have done this a ton but when you get a chance can you drop your fav stocks in this area in here again?

47 minutes ago, Wild Young Billy said:

Fair enough but email and the public internet saw massive adoption way faster than 11 years. 

Not so fast.....

Home computer adoption in US:
11 Years to move from 0% to 20% (1981 to 1992)
20 years to move from 20% to 80% (1992 to 2012). 

Cellular Telephone adoption in US:
25 years to move from 0% to 20% (1973 to 1997)
12 years to move from 20% to 80% (1997 to 2009)

Email adoption in the US is also slow to begin then accelerated rapidly:
1973 - Email standard established  
1979-1981 - Email effectively created and rolled out
1988-1989 - MS Mail and Compuserve Email rolled out 1988-89
1992 - Attachments added 
1996-97 - Hotmail & YahooMail Launch
2004 - Gmail Launches 
2007 - Email goes mobile with smartphones 

Gradually, then suddenly. 

Edited by [icon]
33 minutes ago, GoBirds said:

You in at any level and if you added how/what would you buy?

Not yet and I wish I bought. I’d likely stick to GBTC or it’s kin so that I could maintain it in Fidelity with everything else. It may seem like I am being negative but I’m truly still skeptical like @Wild Young Billy in that there is 0 that has happened that’s life changing.

We are in a current phase of investing where there are so many retail investors jumping in on every “tip” that every penny stock being mentioned anywhere is a winner. Bitcoin is a self fulfilling prophecy that I think has legs but other than being digital gold/a currency or inflation hedge, where is it changing anything? If it’s disrupting gold as an asset then I get that a bit but companies are out to make money. Maybe it’s the heavy involvement of Saylor/Microstrategy that honestly gives me a bad taste. Dude was caught cooking the books back in 2000 and I knew people who worked there. The stock languished for 20 years until he bought Bitcoin. He’s evangelizing because it lines his pockets. It’s funny that there are rich people who are angels and other rich people (some “other” hedge fund guys, some are beloved lol) that are devils. Just amazing how much a tweet can move markets nowadays. 99% of the arguments to invest are driven by the Tesla bought some, Apple might and if enough people buy it it will jump in price. That could be applied to any commodity.

Anyway, I’m sure I’ll jump in soon because I want to share in the profits from here but I don’t buy into blockchain changing the world (more than gold does). There were dozens and dozens of business use cases and none of them have materialized outside of Bitcoin ad a good investment/place to park cash. That’s enough to make it a good investment but what’s next?

Also, I probably sound too negative as I was extremely tempted to buy in the Fall. Selling Tilray for a small gain was basically the same level of mistake so we all miss good buys.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
32 minutes ago, hooter311 said:

Truth.

Square, paypal, and grayscale are each buying more bitcoin each month than what is being mined.  These companies take it off the market and locked up in trusts.  We are running out of sellers as we speak.  The supply crisis is looming.  The gme squeeze will pale in comparison to the bitcoin supply crisis.

For the people who want exposure without feeling like they're investing in questionable/speculative things, you could do worse than to buy SQ and PYPL*, actually.

Your returns are going to be muted relative to a GBTC or MARA. But both will benefit from BTC volatility either way, the greater the acceptance the more they will benefit, and you shouldn't expect either company to fold even if BTC somehow went to $0.

*Full disclosure: I'm invested in SQ, PYPL, MARA, and BTC. SQ and PYPL both much longer than they've been associated with BTC. And with additional PYPL purchases as recently as November and SQ as recently as 2 weeks ago.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, TripItUp said:

Initially I was at 5...but it's ran so much I'm up to 10 simply because it's outganining everything else...signficantly.

Tom Lee upped his BTC price forecast to 100K for 20201.  Food for thought.

I'm not holding anything for 18,000 years

• Love 1
  • Laughing 5
7 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Not yet and I wish I bought. I’d likely stick to GBTC or it’s kin so that I could maintain it in Fidelity with everything else. It may seem like I am being negative but I’m truly still skeptical like @Wild Young Billy in that there is 0 that has happened that’s life changing.

We are in a current phase of investing where there are so many retail investors jumping in on every “tip” that every penny stock being mentioned anywhere is a winner. Bitcoin is a self fulfilling prophecy that I think has legs but other than being digital gold/a currency or inflation hedge, where is it changing anything? If it’s disrupting gold as an asset then I get that a bit but companies are out to make money. Maybe it’s the heavy involvement of Saylor/Microstrategy that honestly gives me a bad taste. Dude was caught cooking the books back in 2000 and I knew people who worked there. The stock languished for 20 years until he bought Bitcoin. He’s evangelizing because it lines his pockets. It’s funny that there are rich people who are angels and other rich people (some “other” hedge fund guys, some are beloved lol) that are devils. Just amazing how much a tweet can move markets nowadays. 99% of the arguments to invest are driven by the Tesla bought some, Apple might and if enough people buy it it will jump in price. That could be applied to any commodity.

Anyway, I’m sure I’ll jump in soon because I want to share in the profits from here but I don’t buy into blockchain changing the world (more than gold does). There were dozens and dozens of business use cases and none of them have materialized outside of Bitcoin ad a good investment/place to park cash. That’s enough to make it a good investment but what’s next?

Also, I probably sound too negative as I was extremely tempted to buy in the Fall. Selling Tilray for a small gain was basically the same level of mistake so we all miss good buys.

Unfortunately, sometimes people we don't like are right about things, and it's hard to weed out the #######s from the correct #######s.

(imo)

7 minutes ago, [icon] said:

Home computer adoption in US:
11 Years to move from 0% to 20% (1981 to 1992)
20 years to move from 20% to 80% (1992 to 2012). 

Cellular Telephone adoption in US:
25 years to move from 0% to 20% (1973 to 1997)
12 years to move from 20% to 80% (1997 to 2009)

Email adoption in the US is also slow to begin then accelerated rapidly:
1973 - Email standard established  
1979-1981 - Email effectively created and rolled out
1988-1989 - MS Mail and Compuserve Email rolled out 1988-89
1992 - Attachments added 
1996-97 - Hotmail & YahooMail Launch
2004 - Gmail Launches 
2007 - Email goes mobile with smartphones 

I won't debate these but there are way more factors here for PCs and Cell phones. Size and cost are two. Blockchain doesn't cost the consumer anything nor is it too big.  Most people wouldn't even know they were using a product that used it. 

I do think that identity is a perfect use case for blockchain. Store your credentials on it, your medical records, dental records, financials, etc. Give people who need to access them permission to access them for xx minutes. And you own the records. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, stbugs said:

I think we're approaching a point where every major nation in the world is going to have (a?) digital currency. 

G7

Whether or not you believe BTC benefits from that, it's the impetus.

1 minute ago, Wild Young Billy said:

I won't debate these but there are way more factors here for PCs and Cell phones. Size and cost are two. Blockchain doesn't cost the consumer anything nor is it too big.  Most people wouldn't even know they were using a product that used it. 

I do think that identity is a perfect use case for blockchain. Store your credentials on it, your medical records, dental records, financials, etc. Give people who need to access them permission to access them for xx minutes. And you own the records. 

You brought up the email comparison. I was just showing it wasn't as fast as you remembered. :) 

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, hooter311 said:

For the record, I'm no financial expert.  My opinions are for entertainment only. 

For instance, last Saturday I dropped acid and watched the 1994 royal rumble.

I'm barely an adult and I still take a whiff of every marker I've ever opened.

"But sweetheart, hooter311 said to buy it"

"yes, the guy from the internet"

"He's not a glue sniffer!"

"Just markers...."

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Laughing 3
Just now, ConstruxBoy said:

"Just markers...."

Hooter who?

Mike Hooter, that's who.

YOU'RE WHAT?!?!

• Laughing 4

I'm just disappointed that stupid GBTC only went up 5% today when MARA and MSTR are up 17 and 22% :hot: 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, [icon] said:

I'm just disappointed that stupid GBTC only went up 5% today when MARA and MSTR are up 17 and 22% :hot: 

Now you see why I had to start moving funds over?  It was driving me wild too.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, General Malaise said:

For those of us that can't afford a bitcoin and especially those of us who can't figure out how to buy a bitcoin, is playing stocks like DMGGF or Hive Blockchain the next best things?  Because I do want some torque related to bitcoin, but I'm still confused and frightened of the whole thing.  Like, I still don't know what it is.  In my head, it's like a mushroom that comes out of a brick when Mario's head hits it.

That's all I got. 

DMGGF is the worst. I know. I've owned it twice and looking to get out a second time.

44 minutes ago, -OZ- said:

I'm still slightly irritated that my order a while ago was partially filled, for 30 shares when I ordered thousands.

It filled 500 at first and made me sweat out the other 4,500 - I was super nervous

3 minutes ago, Desert_Power said:

I like FVRR more.

I used FVRR for my avatar 4 years ago, always been a great company for that kind of outsourcing

1 minute ago, Wild Young Billy said:

I only know what I read/hear. I'm sure you're much more educated about these things than I am. My feeling is that this is actually the key to its adoption. Instead of looking for ways to force Blockchain down people's throats, they need to find blockchain-based solutions that are just better and watch adoption follow.

I'm pissed off all the major banks have limits on transfers between institutions unless you pay a high fee for a 3 day transfer or actually go into the branch location to initiate a wire transfer. I'm not switching to Dogeman Sachs because they advertise they can do all my banking using Blockchain. But if they say we'll transfer whatever you want, wherever you want, from wherever you want, for free, in 5 seconds (and it just so happens blockchain is the reason we can do this), OK, you have my attention.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Shula-holic said:

I have to ask, weren't you the one on BEEM?  Still holding?  I almost took the leap on a bit, checked the chart the other day and realized what a gaffe that was.

words can hurt fella

2 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I only know what I read/hear. I'm sure you're much more educated about these things than I am. My feeling is that this is actually the key to its adoption. Instead of looking for ways to force Blockchain down people's throats, they need to find blockchain-based solutions that are just better and watch adoption follow.

I'm pissed off all the major banks have limits on transfers between institutions unless you pay a high fee for a 3 day transfer or actually go into the branch location to initiate a wire transfer. I'm not switching to Dogeman Sachs because they advertise they can do all my banking using Blockchain. But if they say we'll transfer whatever you want, wherever you want, from wherever you want, for free, in 5 seconds (and it just so happens blockchain is the reason we can do this), OK, you have my attention.

:goodposting: 

14 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I think we're approaching a point where every major nation in the world is going to have (a?) digital currency. 

G7

Whether or not you believe BTC benefits from that, it's the impetus.

Well sure. "Blockchain" may be the future. "Decentralized Currency" may be the future. 

I don't see why Bitcoin, which owns patents on neither of those ideas, would be the precise implementation that wins in the long run. It's not built do to those things at scale well. I don't see why "Blockchain is good" helps Bitcoin specifically, nor why it should benefit. Bitcoin could very well be the Betamax/HD-DVD/Friendster of the tech, the first in but not the best execution.

In fact, if digital currency is the future, it will de facto be something other than the Bitcoin implementation of the idea.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, shades said:

Well sure. "Blockchain" may be the future. "Decentralized Currency" may be the future. 

I don't see why Bitcoin, which owns patents on neither of those ideas, would be the precise implementation that wins in the long run. It's not built do to those things at scale well. I don't see why "Blockchain is good" helps Bitcoin specifically, nor why it should benefit. Bitcoin could very well be the Betamax/HD-DVD/Friendster of the tech, the first in but not the best execution.

In fact, if digital currency is the future, it will de facto be something other than the Bitcoin implementation of the idea.

I understand that POV.

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, Swaymoney said:

What's the better stock to buy right now SE or Fiverr?

Like trying to pick my favorite kid. My SE conviction is higher but $FVRR’s market cap is still significantly smaller (10 billion vs. 140 billion for SE) which implies more runway not taking TAM into account. They’re both great, but I wouldn’t jump completely in to either. Maybe a third or half now and the rest after earnings. They both happen in less than a month.

Edited by McBokonon
  • Thanks 1
30 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Just set up a weekly recurring in Cash App for an amount you can afford and then ignore it. That’s what I did to avoid the feeling of bag-holding if i plunk a bunch in at once and it crashes, I’m not worried about fluctuations, and I’m taking part.

“Cash App by Square - damn, that’s good App!”

1 minute ago, shades said:

That’s another very good point. I feel like I’m on the anti-blockchain crusade and I’m not. I do see some holes that make me worry and this is one of them. I always felt like if Bitcoin was being “used” more that it would be easier to understand the hype. You just feel like the best implementation isn’t there yet.

History is littered with My Spaces and Alta Vista’s that got crushed by someone who wasn’t even present when they were at the forefront.

Are most people buying Bitcoin right now because of the inflation hedge or concern about fiat currency or because Elon tweeted about it or that it’s the next hot stock that people buy because it’s going up and have no clue what it is or why it’s worth $300.

I don’t have any clue but I’m sure I’ll throw down a wager.

9 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Faster payments equals faster fraud. That's why banks are hesitant and because there are some limitations to the network on which the money moves. Blockchain eliminates the threat of double spend, making it a vehicle for faster transfers and zero fraud. 

8 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

They should. Their stock is now worth 100 times their sales. That’s really pricey, especially when their revenue is basically flat. That assumes a huge spike in growth so watching their earnings report in March will be interesting.

5 minutes ago, McBokonon said:

Just set up a weekly recurring in Cash App for an amount you can afford and then ignore it. That’s what I did to avoid the feeling of bag-holding if i plunk a bunch in at once and it crashes, I’m not worried about fluctuations, and I’m taking part.

“Cash App by Square - damn, that’s good App!”

I guess since I own SQ, I am kind of already dipping my toes in the water.

9 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I understand that POV.

There's a huge difference between a private blockchain where a digital currency would reside and that would restrict access to approved parties. BTC and the others allow access to anyone who wants to mine it making it scarier. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, hooter311 said:

For the record, I'm no financial expert.  My opinions are for entertainment only. 

For instance, last Saturday I dropped acid and watched the 1994 royal rumble.

I'm barely an adult and I still take a whiff of every marker I've ever opened.

son?

• Laughing 2
1 hour ago, hooter311 said:

People are underestimating just how much blockchain technology is going to change the world.

It's going to be implemented in everything from gambling, banking, art, trading cards, gaming, anything and everything that a ledger, transparency, and scarcity would have any use.

And bitcoin is the big daddy.  Try not to look at it as anything but a store of value at this point if that helps.  This next generational wave of wealth transfer is gonna be huge. My own father the other day grumbled "and what's bitcoin in the end? Just a piece of iron!"

I'm in Technology and I hate blockchain.  I think this technology is going to ruin a whole bunch of businesses.  YMMV

• Like 2
35 minutes ago, ConstruxBoy said:

"Just markers...."

You know, the guy that bought a ZEBRA

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Laughing 1
36 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

:lmao: at the bolded

Edited by 2Squirrels1Nut
  • Laughing 2