What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (14 Viewers)

11:04 am ET February 10, 2021 (Dow Jones) Print

WallStreetBets' legion of day traders is turning its attention to cannabis stocks amid expectations that U.S. Democrats will push for decriminalization of the plant. Canadian cannabis companies have been some of the most discussed on the forum recently, according to Swaggy Stocks, which tracks mentions of company tickers on the Reddit group. Their shares have also experienced strong gains. New York-listed Tilray has been the most discussed on the group, receiving 2,570 mentions in the last 24 hours. Its shares have gained 130% in the week. One popular post on WallStreetBets described Tilray as the next GameStop. Aphria, which is planning to merge with Tilray, is up 70% week-to-date and received 2,040 mentions in the last day. Sundial Growers, the fourth most-discussed stock in the last 24 hours, is up 112% week-to-date. (william.horner@wsj.com) (END) Dow Jones Newswires February 10, 2021 11:04 ET (16:04 GMT)
Maybe one day they'll mention Valens.  :kicksrock:

• Thinking
Reactions: JAA
So here is my thoughts on SNDL ... parallel the gains in other pot stocks to SNDL.  Clearly, the % increase of SNDL will be greater, but when we see consistent resistance with the other pot stocks we can use that as an indicator to sell off SNDL.  Thoughts?

My pot stocks are AYRWF, BLDV, and STMH.  If im seeing those stocks with a couple days chained of losses, I think its time to pull back on SNDL.

So here is my thoughts on SNDL ... parallel the gains in other pot stocks to SNDL.  Clearly, the % increase of SNDL will be greater, but when we see consistent resistance with the other pot stocks we can use that as an indicator to sell off SNDL.  Thoughts?
I've been in and out of SNDL a lot over the last few months.  There are plenty of days where SNDL lags the other pot names rather than exceeds them or even paces them.

Even with today's giant move it is still slightly lagging some of the others overall.  SNDL is up about 550% since the new year and 250% in February.  TLRY is up 800% since the new year and 350% in February.

• Thanks
I've been in and out of SNDL a lot over the last few months.  There are plenty of days where SNDL lags the other pot names rather than exceeds them or even paces them.

Even with today's giant move it is still slightly lagging some of the others overall.  SNDL is up about 550% since the new year and 250% in February.  TLRY is up 800% since the new year and 350% in February.
I grabbed some SNDL today due to YOLO and FOMO - so far so good   :lol:

• Laughing
From the Motley Fool article on SNDL yesterday:

The 209% gain that should terrify Sundial shareholders

Unfortunately for shareholders, this final catalyst is a big reason why Sundial Growers is one of the most dangerous marijuana stocks.

To pay down debt and build the company's cash position to approximately $610 million (as of this past weekend), Sundial has been selling its stock and converting debt to equity at an alarming pace. This might sound relatively harmless, but it has the potential to severely dilute existing shareholders over time.

As an example, Sundial Growers ended September 2020 with approximately 509 million outstanding shares. Four months later, following multiple rounds of share issuances and debt-to-equity conversions, Sundial is sitting on (drum roll)... 1.56 billion outstanding shares. In four months, Sundial's outstanding share total has increased by 209%. That's insanely high, and it demonstrates a complete disregard on management's part for improving shareholder value. 

What makes this situation even worse is that Sundial's operating performance has been poor. The company is transitioning from a wholesale-focused business model to one that caters to the retail side of the cannabis industry. While this move makes sense for Sundial -- especially with retail margins handily outpacing wholesale cannabis margins -- it's going to take time before this transition pays off. In the September-ended quarter, Sundial's year-over-year sales were more than halved, with the company logging a charge-laden operating loss of $71.4 million Canadian. 

Yet, with 1.56 billion shares outstanding, this backpedaling operating model is now worth a staggering $1.76 billion.
He went on to recommend OraniGrow instead.  :shrug:

• Sad
My big fear was always in it never being adopted beyond criminals, drug dealers and gamblers.  
I knew about it a long time ago, but all I really knew was that the uses for it were "icky" and stayed away.  I guess never having had it is better than those dolts who bought it and then forgot the password/threw the hard drive into the dump.

I can't even play daily fantasy legally.
Yeah - no pot here (I'd get fired even if it was legal), no daily fantasy.  Heck, we don't even get the lottery.

• Sad
BEEM - Partnered up with Jeep to sponsor their Driving on Sunshine solar powered EV charging stations:

Jeep’s solar powered EV charging stations are pretty slick

When Jeep said it was going to make a plug-in hybrid version of the Wrangler, it told that world that it would be installing EV charging stations at key trails to help Jeep owners off-road without fuel.

Getting electricity to some trails, even if they have a parking lot, can sometimes be a challenge. With Jeep now talking about its road ahead, including a BEV Wrangler concept, they finally showed us how they’re doing it.

If the animation Jeep shared is correct, Jeep is working with Beam to put branded EV ARC 2020 units at Badge of Honor trails across the U.S.

If these units look familiar, it’s the same product that Electrify America is using for its rural charging solution in California.

These products are really slick. They have a motor on the top that tilts the solar panel throughout the day, using some stored energy to move it, so that the panel always has the best access to direct sunlight.

It stores the energy in batteries built in, and it’s all attached to a level 2 J1772 charging station.

It’s a simple unit to deploy. Everything, including the parking mat, is a single piece that can be deployed in minutes after unloading it from a flatbed semi.

The units are fully self-sufficient, requiring no access to the power grid. They’re a cool solution for providing power for charging where there is no power available.

We wonder if Rivian’s outdoor charging solution is going to use the same thing? It might.
These look pretty slick to me.

I knew about it a long time ago, but all I really knew was that the uses for it were "icky" and stayed away.  I guess never having had it is better than those dolts who bought it and then forgot the password/threw the hard drive into the dump.

Yeah - no pot here (I'd get fired even if it was legal), no daily fantasy.  Heck, we don't even get the lottery.
Oregon:

Legalized sports gambling.  
Legalized pot.
Decriminalized hard drugs.
All nude strip clubs with full bars and little to no cover charge.
Video poker.
Keno.

A state for grown-ups!  A state where I can walk into a full nude strip club, order a craft beer, smoke a joint with a stripper out back, drop some acid with her on the way back in and place bets on the NBA over my phone while we have keno tickets and play Flush Fever.  :wub:

Oregon:

Legalized pot.
Video poker.
Keno.

A state for grown-ups!  A state where I can walk into a full nude strip club, order a craft beer, smoke a joint with a stripper out back, drop some acid with her on the way back in and place bets on the NBA over my phone while we have keno tickets and play Flush Fever.  :wub:
Why are we not allowed to place bets on the FanDuel betting app?

Sold my Academy Sports for a 48% gain.  Thanks @stbugsfor pointing out this value play.
I dumped that awhile ago, somewhere in the 25-30%ish range but those were IPO shares I got. Could have held for a double but I’m sure whatever I bought did the same considering that late fall run through today has been really nice.

Oregon:

Legalized pot.
Video poker.
Keno.

I'll never forget the 10 egg omelet at The Acropolis.  

Oregon:

Legalized pot.
Video poker.
Keno.

Any law enforcement left there?

10 minutes ago, General Malaise said:
Oregon:

Legalized pot.
Video poker.
Keno.

Expand  
Any law enforcement left there?
:lmao: - too soon?

I dumped that awhile ago, somewhere in the 25-30%ish range but those were IPO shares I got. Could have held for a double but I’m sure whatever I bought did the same considering that late fall run through today has been really nice.
Yeah I knew it wasn’t your type of stock. But I do appreciate you mentioning it being under valued. These are the type of stocks I like to have exposure to an a frothy market

Why are we not allowed to place bets on the FanDuel betting app?
Because you can place all your legal wagers on the Oregon Scoreboard Lottery!!!!***

***Oregon Scoreboard Lottery does not permit sports wagering on college athletics.  Oregon Scoreboard Lottery does not permit correlated parlays on the same game.  

Yeah I knew it wasn’t your type of stock. But I do appreciate you mentioning it being under valued. These are the type of stocks I like to have exposure to an a frothy market
I actually thought it could do well but I got another set of recs around then and they’ve done really well, 3 of the 4 over 100%.

Ugly day, weed stonks the exception. Burned much of my freed up cash stash on dips that were half-dips at best, way too impatient. Just I realized I'm wearing my Bad Idea jeans . damn it, never again. Going to take a few puffs and forget today happened.  

Ugly day, weed stonks the exception. Burned much of my freed up cash stash on dips that were half-dips at best, way too impatient. Just I realized I'm wearing my Bad Idea jeans . damn it, never again. Going to take a few puffs and forget today happened.  
:lol:

Almost perfect zero for me today, with SAENF carrying the rest

:lol:

Almost perfect zero for me today, with SAENF carrying the rest
Me too just all over the place red and green and I netted $1k. Seems weird to hope for a small movement every day but I’d kick back and relax if I could guarantee that profit every day.

• Smile
Me too just all over the place red and green and I netted $1k. Seems weird to hope for a small movement every day but I’d kick back and relax if I could guarantee that profit every day.
I said the same back in like May. 

I do enjoy trading the 5% of my portfolio while watching the rest like the a basketball game.

Of course my wife might not be thrilled with my swapping basically my monthly take home on a whim. 🤷🏽‍♂️

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
I said the same back in like May. 

I do enjoy trading the 5% of my portfolio while watching the rest like the a basketball game.

Of course my wife might not be thrilled with my swapping basically my monthly take home on a whim. 🤷🏽‍♂️
My “trading” portfolio is basically 90% of all my investments. Not sure my wife understands what I’ve got rolling LOL, although I do give her total gain updates. Only 10% is in 401k index (small, large, mid, tech, international)/target age funds but I’m way more of a long term investor, so hopefully a lot less risky. Some of these stocks are like passing around the hot potato and hoping you’re not the 💎 🙌 guy lamenting the 80% drop after you bought.

Oregon:

Legalized pot.
Video poker.
Keno.

A state for grown-ups! 
New Orleans (where I grew up): 

A city where I could do all this at 15!  :pickle:

Anyone considering RBLX?  I know a lot about the platform, but dont know about its IPO/DirectListing process.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread