Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Stock Thread

Dipped my toe into SILO for all of you magic mushroom guys. They're already doing retreats in Jamaica and are doing some cool production things like a nasal spray. Only took a nibble, need to do more research before diving in. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, jamny said:

Might look to get into VZ today. Looks like a good reversal on strong volume to start the day.

I'm sure that's in response to berkshire Hathaway making a huge VZ purchase

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Anything not weed or crypto-related getting pummeled for me here early. 

I have some very light green. Mostly value stuff like Verizon, home Depot and Kroger.

18 minutes ago, jamny said:

Might look to get into VZ today. Looks like a good reversal on strong volume to start the day.

Buffet announced he bought in, along with Kroger.

• Love 1

45 minutes ago, jamny said:

Buffet bought into VZ big time, so jump in, the water is warm!

ETA - Didn't see it posted above. 

Edited by Swaymoney
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, McBokonon said:

Yep. I’ve gotten used to these 2-3 day face-punchings

Par for the course, been a regular thing every month or so. May be looking to add a few things but as per usual, they don’t seem to be down today.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Freak Show said:

Buffet must be listening to totem. VZ was on totem's list weeks ago.

Buffet’s been good to me. I bought STNE, 200 shares, back in August due to an article that he invested and because it’s in my long term sectors (Fintech). Since it was Buffet, I was willing to buy a full share and it’s 4% aware from a double up. Thanks Warren!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Worm said:

Any ideas on some long term dip buys for today?

I think I may finally grab some TSM today, after selling a bunch of their puts the past year or so.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Atomic Punk said:

Anyone hear why CRSP seems to be dropping the last few weeks? It hit $200 awhile ago but has steadily decreased since. I thought this was an ARK favorite?

Not explanatory in the least, but of note:

Wall Street Looks Again at Bluebird, Rivals, After Gene-Therapy Setback -- Barrons.com

BY Dow Jones & Company, Inc.
— 8:19 AM ET 02/17/2021

The news on Tuesday that the gene therapy pioneer bluebird bio was suspending trials of its gene therapy for sickle cell disease, plus suspending marketing of another gene therapy approved in Europe to treat beta thalassemia, sent shares of the stock down 37.9% over the course of the day.

The suspensions came after a patient who received the sickle cell gene therapy was diagnosed with acute myeloid leukemia. Bluebird is investigating the case to determine if the patient's cancer diagnosis is attributable to the treatment.

Now, Wall Street analysts are reassessing their expectations for bluebird bio. One influential analyst, J.P. Morgan's Cory Kasimov, downgraded the stock on Wednesday to Neutral, from Overweight.

"Although details are understandably limited at this point, it is hard to see how this news doesn't have some clinical, regulatory, and eventually commercial implications...regardless of what further investigation uncovers," Kasimov wrote.

He wrote that the disclosure of the cancer scare "represents another big hit to the already depressed sentiment" around the stock, and that it "may have broader implications for the gene therapy (or even gene editing) field."

Meanwhile, bluebird's stumble could be a positive for Vertex Pharmaceuticals (VRTX) and CRISPR Therapeutics (CRSP) , which are collaborating on a gene- editing therapy to treat beta thalassemia and sickle cell disease that would compete with bluebird's gene therapies.

"We think the delay in [the bluebird bio] studies is a big positive for VRTX/CRISPR since our checks have suggested that whoever gets to the market first may take more share," Cantor Fitzgerald analyst Alethia Young wrote on Tuesday. " Before this update, we had assumed BLUE would get there before [the Vertex program], though we think [the Vertex] data is very robust."

In addition to Kasimov's downgrade, SVB Leerik's Mani Foroohar, who rates bluebird Outperform, cut his target price on bluebird to $69, from $99. Bluebird shares closed Tuesday at $28.44. Foroohar wrote that his price-target change came from an update to his financial model that pushed back the launch of various bluebird bio gene therapy products by a year, and from cutting his estimate on the programs' probability of success to 75% from 90%, among other things.

Bluebird didn't immediately respond to a request for comment on the downgrade. But in an investor call on Tuesday, the company's CEO, Nick Leschly, said that the company would investigate the cause of the patient's cancer, and of a case of myelodysplastic syndrome in another patient in a trial of the sickle cell drug.

"There are multiple possible explanations," Leschly said. "Our plan is to execute our full medical and scientific investigation on these two cases as quickly as possible in order to speak both thoughtfully and clearly about the current situation and implications."

Some analysts argued that the news should have no impact on the stock's valuations. Cowen analyst Yaron Werber wrote that bluebird's oncology pipeline alone was enough to support its market capitalization. "At the current valuation, we believe BLUE is trading based on its oncology assets with LentiGlobin as upside," Werber wrote on Tuesday. "We are constructive on the opportunity in oncology."

The company said earlier this year that it will spin off its cancer programs.

28 minutes ago, Worm said:

Any ideas on some long term dip buys for today?

Honestly, IMO, put anything long term into AAPL.  Nice dividend, safe AND great price appreciation.  Dabble in some of these spacs.  

I was adding NVDA and DIS last year.  There's a chip shortage, wouldn't surprise me to see NVDA hit $900 by the end of the year.  DIS has been awesome but moved too far too fast IMO.

Also really like and own AMZN, SBUX, ATVI Iand GOOGL. The last one for obvious reasons but a lot of people think that it will be chopped up making it even more valuable. 

Have owned NFLX forever and happy with it but not sure I would buy at these levels. 

EXAS as a gamble but potential grand slam. 

Edited by 2Squirrels1Nut
ATVI not ATV @worm
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, BroadwayG said:

Halved my RIOT after a double up. Sold OESX for a small profit.

Sitting on some cash for a bit.

Similar for me with MARA didn’t quite double up but very close. Didn’t want to get too greedy.

Edited by The General

What do you folks think about JEPI? It is a JP Morgan Equity Premium ETF. Only invests in high dividend, high quality S&P 500 companies. They are committed to a 10% MONTHLY dividend, which they've stuck to since their inception in 2020 (relatively new ETF). Doesn't seem too volatile, but of course could be at risk if there is a huge correction, but if you don't think firms will cut back on dividends, almost seems like at least a free 10% per year. I think it has a total yield since inception of up over 20% (gain plus dividends).

My other question - dumb to buy this in a taxable brokerage account? Buy in IRA instead?

Edited by NajehHejan

15 hours ago, Sand said:

Speaking of CCIV, CVII has just opened.  In my quest for high quality managers Michael Kline seems to now be a good one thanks to CCIV.  I hope CVII gets a nice push just thanks to the name, so want to jump in early.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SPACs/comments/lldg7a/recommendation_buy_churchill_capital_corp_vii_dd_2/

Probably selling JOFFU and RMGCU to fund this as I have too many of these things.  SFBayDuck, talk me out of selling those!

cvii $CCX is merging with Softskill.  Did you mean $CCV which is trading at $12.07?