Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Stock Thread

Bought some shares of $CAPA yesterday premarket at 16, was halted at open. Merging with Quantum-Si, a company founded by the guy who founded Butterfly, total genius. They’ve developed a chip that can decode proteins. ARK was an advisor. 

It’s trading down premarket a bit after exploding yesterday. No idea if this is a good entry point, but I’m hanging onto this for the long haul.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, McBokonon said:

Bought some shares of $CAPA yesterday premarket at 16, was halted at open. Merging with Quantum-Si, a company founded by the guy who founded Butterfly, total genius. They’ve developed a chip that can decode proteins. ARK was an advisor. 

It’s trading down premarket a bit after exploding yesterday. No idea if this is a good entry point, but I’m hanging onto this for the long haul.

Ummmm...Did I miss that post?

9 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

Why is EBS getting crushed?

No idea. They appeared to have beaten top and bottom handily. APPN is up even though they barely beat revenue and met earnings.

I’ll be honest, there’s so much “favorite” stock/sector going on sometimes that it almost doesn’t matter. I think people are buying more on momentum and trying to  catch a ride that price is just a number, it’s not really linked to fundamentals.

I bought a few things yesterday and I’m pretty close to just letting it all ride for a while. I may see if I can exit some stuff I’m not super fond of or maybe have a little much of and buy up the last few stocks I want to hold for a while and relax. Stuff will settle where it should.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BassNBrew said:

Why the interest in GSAH?  Made buys in July, August, and November in GSAH/U.  Basis is $10.48 but I haven't heard peep about it.  For once I've never sold a share but at +43% it's getting tempting.

Crypto rumors...could really fly like other crypto stocks.

11 minutes ago, McBokonon said:

It was impulsive. Saw the tweet, bought it, market opened, halted. 

:cry:

You dumped us.

1 minute ago, stbugs said:

No idea. They appeared to have beaten top and bottom handily. APPN is up even though they barely beat revenue and met earnings.

I’ll be honest, there’s so much “favorite” stock/sector going on sometimes that it almost doesn’t matter. I think people are buying more on momentum and trying to  catch a ride that price is just a number, it’s not really linked to fundamentals.

I bought a few things yesterday and I’m pretty close to just letting it all ride for a while. I may see if I can exit some stuff I’m not super fond of or maybe have a little much of and buy up the last few stocks I want to hold for a while and relax. Stuff will settle where it should.

Coming around on Amazon I see.

2 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Interesting.

And you would think PFE would be up based on news of the vaccine 1-shot efficacy and that it can be stored in regular freezers.

11 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

Interesting.

And you would think PFE would be up based on news of the vaccine 1-shot efficacy and that it can be stored in regular freezers.

True, but they are large enough that the vaccine isn’t as huge a part of their future revenue as say Moderna.

That said, this doesn’t feel like a quite normal market. Look at WATT today, just a coordinated long attack so to speak. No news except that they announced when they are announcing earnings. Sometimes companies blow away earnings and go nowhere and other times the mixed stuff is ignored. Look at MGNI. Their stock popped almost 30% because they announced that they would buy another company. Typically, since the buyer has to incentivize the seller, there is a premium and the buyer’s stock goes down and the seller’s up (unless private). In this case and another I recall, the buyer’s stock went up way more basically making it a free acquisition and then some. Some mergers don’t work out well let alone add more market cap to a company before it’s even happened. If a stock is “hot”, any news moves it up right now until it pops like GME and the other short squeezes. Same thing will likely happen to a bunch of stocks that are way overvalued once their actual revenue/earnings get reported.

25 minutes ago, BassNBrew said:

:cry:

You dumped us.

Coming around on Amazon I see.

I know you enjoy joking but honestly, it’s a really solid defensive play right now. Since it hasn’t been swept up and the price didn’t jump on fantastic Q4 results, it’s got some value built in unlike many of the very stretched out stocks. I still think it’s at 4000 buy the end of the year so no plans to cut any.

The only reason I’d trim AMZN is if I needed cash to make some final purchases. I think I’m good and there are other stocks like SNPR-UN that will go first. I just don’t want to be to cash strapped just in case a big 10-20% hit does happen.

KALA earnings next week are a big part as I’ve got 1000 shares of that I need to know if it’s worth holding longer.

Edited by stbugs

11 minutes ago, BassNBrew said:

Thanks to all the great tips in here, I'm current holding 159 different positions.  FOMO is taking over.  Fear of selling to early also setting in.

I am no expert but imho, you’re holding about ten times as many positions as you should be. Personally, I find it tough to track my holdings once I get to about 18 or 20. The idea of having 159 positions is unfathomable to me and, I suspect, against the recommendations of experts. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pecorino said:

I am no expert but imho, you’re holding about ten times as many positions as you should be. Personally, I find it tough to track my holdings once I get to about 18 or 20. The idea of having 159 positions is unfathomable to me and, I suspect, against the recommendations of experts. 

:oldunsure: :bag:

Edited by JoeSteeler

16 minutes ago, BassNBrew said:

Thanks to all the great tips in here, I'm current holding 159 different positions.  FOMO is taking over.  Fear of selling to early also setting in.

159? JFC, I’ve got 102 and that feels like a lot.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, McBokonon said:

It was impulsive. Saw the tweet, bought it, market opened, halted. 

Saw a tweet about $CAPA yesterday too, but unfortunately it was already +100% when I saw the tweet.  And I couldn't wrap my head around what the heck chip-based protein sequencing is anyway.

5 minutes ago, pecorino said:

It’s really just a high risk mutual fund.  😉

• Laughing 3

4 minutes ago, pecorino said:

I don’t have a problem tracking my 102, but I do have a handful of SPACs still and a few more stocks based on recs in here. I think 80ish would be perfect for me in term of breadth and diversification. That said, most of my stocks are all long term stocks. I don’t look at my TWLO shares and think what should I do today. Bass on the other hand trades so much that I couldn’t imagine handling that day to day. 

3 hours ago, McBokonon said:

You’ll need to make sure you have international trading enabled. Whenever you’re searching for a foreign stock you’ll need to add that country’s 2 letter code after the colon. Last time I tried to buy a Canadian penny stock (ZOMD:CA) they wanted me to call, too - I didn’t yet.

Thanks.

yep, got this message

To place this international order, please call a Fidelity representative at 1-800-544-2976.

6 minutes ago, pecorino said:

BnB is the perfect trader for the last eight months and  manages to grind out consistent profits. It won't last forever, but for now he's doing great.

4 minutes ago, Al Czervik said:

Saw a tweet about $CAPA yesterday too, but unfortunately it was already +100% when I saw the tweet.  And I couldn't wrap my head around what the heck chip-based protein sequencing is anyway.

Will replace Spicy Sweet Chili as best Dorito flavor. 

• Like 2
  • Thinking 1

29 minutes ago, BassNBrew said:

:)

I honestly don't even know now. 

but yeah, it's less than 159.  (More then 50)

Edited by -OZ-
  • Thanks 1

Just now, The General said:

PLTR all aboard!

1 minute ago, DEADHEAD said:

My $25 PLTR order ate at me all day yesterday. I should have bought 4x what I did. I still might. She might run a little bit.

This is in the running for the best first day ownership of anything I've ever bought on a percentage basis.  Sadly, also one of the smallest holdings as I just eased a toe into it 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

You guys looking at PLTR as a quick hitter or longer term hold?

Hold for a long time.  I missed a lot of the FAANG stuff because I wasn't trying to project what companies were in the technology areas that were the future.  PLTR is in a future technology area.  Might not end up being the dominant player, but it has a good shot.

Also, wanted to mention my favorite core holding, DE, is crushing it.  I'll never sell that one.

Edited by Sand
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

You guys looking at PLTR as a quick hitter or longer term hold?

2 minutes ago, Shula-holic said:

This is in the running for the best first day ownership of anything I've ever bought on a percentage basis.  Sadly, also one of the smallest holdings as I just eased a toe into it 

I'll hold, but it's literally less than 2% of that account.