Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Stock Thread

Obviously the demographics of this board would make that opinion very unpopular, but history backs it up. Two of the biggest crashes ever and now a lengthy period of outrageous policy have all been commandeered under the Gen X watch. Someone will have to pay for this.

You're not making any sense. Why would your generation pay the price if the stock market crashes?

Good article re: FCX - Freeport-McMoran: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/22/business/energy-environment/freeport-mcmoran-battles-the-oil-slump.html?partner=IFTTT&_r=0

I'm pretty mad at myself for not being ready for this. I loaded up my account last week and let the cash sit. Used it to day trade a few things and made a nice profit, however, didn't read the fine print about how long the money would be held and I really wanted to buy up some longer term stuff yesterday and this morning. Although, I'm sure the bear is not reversing itself here, I wish I had a chance on some of the things I bought yesterday at a few dollars cheaper. Also - setting up a margin account seems like a pain in the ### where I constantly have to be watching the balance and making sure I'm keeping the threshold of funding up and also not getting murdered on fees. I'm not savvy enough to keep track of that stuff.

I did manage to add a bunch of XOM and Citigroup late yesterday - stuff I plan to hold for a long term.

Edited by John Bender
  • Like 1

####### oil :cry:

Tell me about it, I sold my oil holdings two days ago, right before the bounce, eating a combined 42%. Those two stocks are up about 30% since then.I'm ####### snake bitten, no doubt.

It's not too late IMO

Yeah, I just couldn't but today though. Sucks, I've actually been working and not watching the market.

Tell me about it, I sold my oil holdings two days ago, right before the bounce, eating a combined 42%. Those two stocks are up about 30% since then.I'm ####### snake bitten, no doubt.

It's not too late IMO

Yeah, I just couldn't but today though. Sucks, I've actually been working and not watching the market.

You're always welcome to shoot me your number if you need a text update or something watched. Cos and I had the same arrangement for a while.

Feel free and let me know what to look for. I'm home all day with CNBC or Bloomberg on on my desk.

• Like 1

WTF, BP dividend up to 8%... Anyone have any information on this one?

What do you want to know? It pays a $2.40 dividend. Divide that by the stock price hence 8% yield at this price.

Oh and half of Great Britain depends on that dividend (I may be exaggerating but you get the point).

What do you want to know? It pays a $2.40 dividend. Divide that by the stock price hence 8% yield at this price.

Oh and half of Great Britain depends on that dividend (I may be exaggerating but you get the point).

More than what 8% of $30 is :shrug:

I'm looking for anyone invested or has done any DD here... That is a massive dividend, double some of the other big players in the space, trying to figure out why.

I'm looking for anyone invested or has done any DD here... That is a massive dividend, double some of the other big players in the space, trying to figure out why.

$2.40 per share. So if you buy 100 shares of stock today at a price of $29.62 (last tick) you get $240 a year in dividends. Your investment is $2,962

It's a hefty dividend. Take a look at COP it is paying $2.96 now yielding 8.47%

Those are two of the 5 or 6 biggest integrated oil producers in the world. You think we are nearing a bottom yet? If so buy buy buy for the long term. Even if they cut the dividend 50% your still getting north of 4%

What are the banks paying you? And do you think oil will stay at these levels forever? A great once in a decade buying opportunity for big, well managed, cash rich companies in the oil industry.

CVX

XOM

COP

BP

SLB

TOT

RDS'A

All these companies are on serious sale now. Huge long term chance to get into the oil sector, or average down your existing holdings. If you don't need the money for at least 5 years.....buy.

Edited by Todem

Bought 500 UCO @ 7.97 & 1300 MRIC @ .375

Is MRIC strictly a technical chart play or is there something else there that you like?

Looks like it is ready to go up from a technical standpoint with possibly a reversal formed.

$2.40 per share. So if you buy 100 shares of stock today at a price of $29.62 (last tick) you get $240 a year in dividends. Your investment is $2,962

Those are two of the 5 or 6 biggest integrated oil producers in the world. You think we are nearing a bottom yet? If so buy buy buy for the long term. Even if they cut the dividend 50% your still getting north of 4%

What are the banks paying you? And do you think oil will stay at these levels forever? A great once in a decade buying opportunity for big, well managed, cash rich companies in the oil industry.

CVX

XOM

COP

BP

SLB

TOT

RDS'A

All these companies are on serious sale now. Huge long term chance to get into the oil sector, or average down your existing holdings. If you don't need the money for at least 5 years.....buy.

I am having a hard time understanding why anyone should be long the market as far as being a buy and hold investor when they can essentially jump on the bear market in oil and "buy and hold" that as a much better proxy.

Seems like much greater risk to be long an index fund when you could go long oil.

CVX

XOM

COP

BP

SLB

TOT

RDS'A

I am having a hard time understanding why anyone should be long the market as far as being a buy and hold investor when they can essentially jump on the bear market in oil and "buy and hold" that as a much better proxy.

Seems like much greater risk to be long an index fund when you could go long oil.

I am an advocate for active management. That is what feeds my family. Indexing is meh. I would never index the market, never have and never will. At most 20% of your total portfolio should be in broad indexes. But that's a personal opinion. We can go back and forth about it a bunch. I don't want to do that.

I think overweighting in high quality energy companies with oil at these levels is a monster long term trade. But all things being equal I would never put all my eggs in one sector.

Ever.

But a healthy 10% weighting in the oil sector for an all equity portfolio is reasonable and for a more aggressive investor who has a higher tolerance for volatility I would go as high as a 15% weighting at these levels.

It's a great opportunity indeed.

Edited by Todem

Todem...definitely with you on the buy hold philosophy.

But from an academic standpoint I am interested in fleshing this out with you or others (if you or anybody else as the desire to do so).

Assume for a second that I am thinking about putting 100% of my portfolio in various oil stocks and I am willing to hold for 5-8 years.

What are some scenarios where you think this would be a very bad idea?

Is oil going to stay sub $30 for the next 10 years? I don't think so. And even if it did...I would argue that that would probably suggest the overall indexes would get hammered as it would indicate a global recession/depression.

But from an academic standpoint I am interested in fleshing this out with you or others (if you or anybody else as the desire to do so).

Assume for a second that I am thinking about putting 100% of my portfolio in various oil stocks and I am willing to hold for 5-8 years.

Is oil going to stay sub $30 for the next 10 years? I don't think so. And even if it did...I would argue that that would probably suggest the overall indexes would get hammered as it would indicate a global recession/depression.

If you go oil stocks, just make sure they are cash rich (XMO, BP etc.) Also, be able to stomach some potential turbulence for the next few years and have some flexibility on when you get out.

Should be surefire winners IMHO.

Edited by TripItUp

I've been depressed for about a month over RLYP. Dropped a decent amount with the whole market. Big AH news. Drug/drug interaction study was done with awesome results. Good chance FDA black box warning gets relaxed or taken away all together. It went up over $3 after hours. Future looking bright again. Still big pharma buyout target. Possible auction going on. Huge short interest...hoping to see a good squeeze tomorrow.

CVX

XOM

COP

BP

SLB

TOT

RDS'A

Why do I feel like I've heard this before (at much higher prices).....

If you go oil stocks, just make sure they are cash rich (XMO, BP etc.) Also, be able to stomach some potential turbulence for the next few years and have some flexibility on when you get out.

Warren Buffett has added a boatload of PSX at these prices. You might want to add it to the list.

These oil stocks are priced this way because nobody honestly thinks they can pay out that dividend.

....and once they cut dividends they will drop even more.

I would imagine that the market is already pricing this risk into the price. Not saying that the price wouldn't get hit a bit more...but I am not convinced that the price would get hammered just because of a dividend cut at this point.

Warren Buffett has added a boatload of PSX at these prices. You might want to add it to the list.

:hifive:

These oil stocks are priced this way because nobody honestly thinks they can pay out that dividend.

And it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy that once the market stops giving them credit for their dividend and its growth, they have little incentive to raise the dividend. There was a decent article about how the energy sector is going from growth investors to value investors and that is bringing with it, its own challenges for companies in the way of how they value/run their company.

Seems like most people forgot energy is a cyclical business and let these companies lever up (along w/ easy money) and now companies are going to have to deal w/ higher leverage and less predictable cash flows. The majors will likely be fine but there could be some winners and losers within them. And while oil likely won't stay sub $30 for long (more than a year) the prospect of $40-$50 oil by the turn of the decade isn't impossible.

I'm staying away from oil. I could see it go down to 20 as easily as up to 40. I'm gunshy. If it does go below 25 I may start to buy. If i miss the crater by waiting, so be it.

Apple also scares me. We'll find out the story on that tomorrow after close.

I'm mostly cash, but a few value positions that I hopeto have causght at near lows, but too solid to slide too much, imo:

ADAP, PPL, AAL, RAI, and WFC. Most of those did take a minor hit today. I may buy more if they go a little lower, but looking at hanging on to most at least mid-term

100% :o. Are you sure it's a good idea to put all your eggs in one basket?

Big fan of Warren, but he's gotten absolutely run over in a lot of his picks lately.

100% :o. Are you sure it's a good idea to put all your eggs in one basket?

LMAO...no. I am not sure.

But given two choices...100% invested in a broad index of the market (which I view as being very toppy) or 100% invested in oil stocks (which have already gotten hammered) I am starting to wonder why the latter isn't a better option than the former.

CVX

XOM

COP

BP

SLB

TOT

RDS'A

Certainly did. I did nibble when oil fell below 50. But again my overall weighting has never exceeded 15% for my most aggressive equity sleeve models.

The lousy thing about this oil downturn is it has hit many other oil "related" sectors. Industrials, materials, transports. It's a bad market right now and has been since May 2015.

Careful selection is key. Buying high quality, cash rich companies is the way to go. It is a value stock pickers market.

When oil went below 30 I nibbled some more. But I am nibbling on the big guys and only one MLP (BPL). Some other stocks for the long term investor that have been hammered in other sectors:

CAT

CMI

EMR

ETN

NSC

UNP

CSX

DOW

Pure destruction in most of those names. And then you have Walmart. A stalwart that lost 30 plus percent last year. If you believe they can perform a turnaround this is a great entry point into a powerhouse low income retailer. Thing is everyone I know goes there. Parking lot is always full. A good defensive position in ones portfolio.

BioPharma too. So many names got hammered last year. GILD just pops off my screen as a superb value at these levels. I am overweighting that name.

So there is value. But you need a strong stomach and patience. But the dividends are there and when the cycle turns you will be rewarded. Buy when no one wants them. That is value investing.

Edited by Todem

CVX

XOM

COP

BP

SLB

TOT

RDS'A

Certainly did. I did nibble when oil fell below 50. But again my overall weighting has never exceeded 15% for my most aggressive equity sleeve models.

The lousy thing about this oil downturn is it has hit many other oil "related" sectors. Industrials, materials, transports. It's a bad market right now and has been since May 2015.

Careful selection is key. Buying high quality, cash rich companies is the way to go. It is a value stock pickers market.

When oil went below 30 I nibbled some more. But I am nibbling on the big guys and only one MLP (BPL). Some other stocks for the long term investor that have been hammered in other sectors:

CAT

CMI

EMR

ETN

NSC

UNP

CSX

DOW

Pure destruction in most of those names. And then you have Walmart. A stalwart that lost 30 plus percent last year. If you believe they can perform a turnaround this is a great entry point into a powerhouse low income retailer. Thing is everyone I know goes there. Parking lot is always full. A good defensive position in ones portfolio.

BioPharma too. So many names got hammered last year. GILD just pops off my screen as a superb value at these levels. I am overweighting that name.

So there is value. But you need a strong stomach and patience. But the dividends are there and when the cycle turns you will be rewarded. Buy when no one wants them. That is value investing.

I don't mean to take a shot at you, just pointing out that many people have been saying "this is a once in a whatever opportunity" for a long time now and they've gotten crushed. I'm pretty sure you said you went in heavy over a year ago, and some of those stocks are now down over 50% (a couple over 80%).

I understand the long term value aspect, but there's a big difference between things "being on sale" and being a great buy. I agree there's upside, but there's still plenty of risk to go along with it IMO.

CVX

XOM

COP

BP

SLB

TOT

RDS'A

CAT

CMI

EMR

ETN

NSC

UNP

CSX

DOW

I don't mean to take a shot at you, just pointing out that many people have been saying "this is a once in a whatever opportunity" for a long time now and they've gotten crushed. I'm pretty sure you said you went in heavy over a year ago, and some of those stocks are now down over 50% (a couple over 80%).

I understand the long term value aspect, but there's a big difference between things "being on sale" and being a great buy. I agree there's upside, but there's still plenty of risk to go along with it IMO.

Heavy? No. But I did go in and do some buying.....some of those names I am down an avereage of 23%

Not concerned.

Edited by Todem

CVX

XOM

COP

BP

SLB

TOT

RDS'A

CAT

CMI

EMR

ETN

NSC

UNP

CSX

DOW

If being married has taught me anything, it's that anything that is on sale must be a great buy.

• Like 3

CVX

XOM

COP

BP

SLB

TOT

RDS'A

CAT

CMI

EMR

ETN

NSC

UNP

CSX

DOW

If being married has taught me anything, it's that anything that is on sale must be a great buy.

If you make a random post with no funny stuff or point being made, and I like it, it is probably bc I can't like this gem more than once.

CVX

XOM

COP

BP

SLB

TOT

RDS'A

CAT

CMI

EMR

ETN

NSC

UNP

CSX

DOW

Heavy? No. But I did go in and do some buying.....some of those names I am down an avereage of 23%

Not concerned.

Well, you said you went in hard, and your next post quoted someone who said they might pour everything they have into oil long term by saying you did it today, but if you say you didn't, that's fine- I'm not looking to get into a whole thing. The point is, many people have been saying these stocks are a screaming buy for a long time now, and they're way in the hole.

Edited by humpback