What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (12 Viewers)

I call shenanigans, but I was always holding until the earnings call anyway. It makes zero sense that the stock would cater on such low volume. The same people that held at 290-320 are selling now? Doubtful. People getting stimmy checks aren't jumping in for discounted shares? Also doubtful.

It's painful watching days like this, but I trust in Ryan Cohen and will hold this long term if need be. 

• Love
Reactions: JAA
What bad timing with stimulus checks here.  IMO AMC is where the stimulus checks are going. It's cheaper than GME

I call shenanigans, but I was always holding until the earnings call anyway. It makes zero sense that the stock would cater on such low volume. The same people that held at 290-320 are selling now? Doubtful. People getting stimmy checks aren't jumping in for discounted shares? Also doubtful.

It's painful watching days like this, but I trust in Ryan Cohen and will hold this long term if need be. 
I don't know any folks who've received stimulus checks yet. Maybe they are getting them throughout the week?

My mom and dad haven’t got theirs yet. Doesn’t mean it’s going to turn and pump GME though. 
Totally.   Not everything should go toward the stock. I’d be fine with your parents holding back putting in $10-$20 for a few beers after they invest. 👍🏽

Totally.   Not everything should go toward the stock. I’d be fine with your parents holding back putting in $10-$20 for a few beers after they invest. 👍🏽
:D  I run my dad’s trading account and I asked if he wanted GameStop with his stimulus money and he said no, put it in Bitcoin. lol 

I don't buy the stimulus checks converting into stocks narrative, although I think they will be great for the overall economy. I am cracking on there being too many paper hands and no buyers to replace them. Friday was supposed to be a battle of whales, but it was low volume instead. There was supposed to be some squeezing today, but the stock got slammed instead. I am still long on the company, but Friday/today have really shaken my short-term view. Last week, I would have bought the dip, but today I just rode it out, and now I'm looking at stop loss break points if tomorrow is another disaster. 

These guys really have their #### together. My current allotment is at $58 (I sold some in the 130’s and 170’s). I bought a few more shares in the 90’s and I think I’ll add again. 
Still can’t believe I dumped after an early double up. I have 80 now but had 500. I should have just bit the bullet in the 80s and gotten all 500 back and let it ride. It’s almost harder to buy back in than if it was a stock I never owned. 

I don't buy the stimulus checks converting into stocks narrative, although I think they will be great for the overall economy. I am cracking on there being too many paper hands and no buyers to replace them. Friday was supposed to be a battle of whales, but it was low volume instead. There was supposed to be some squeezing today, but the stock got slammed instead. I am still long on the company, but Friday/today have really shaken my short-term view. Last week, I would have bought the dip, but today I just rode it out, and now I'm looking at stop loss break points if tomorrow is another disaster. 
I don’t want to act like the old man, but I think this rally was more of a retail let’s jump in because we missed the first short squeeze than an actual short squeeze. After the hearings and hedge fund losses, I don’t think there are any whales on either side even though people keep using that as reasons to tell more people to buy. Look at this thread, a lot of people jumped in in the past couple weeks. When you have more buyers the stock will go up. When there’s nothing else there it’s hard to maintain. Whoever (wasn’t the original shorts) setup those large call ladders well ahead of time may have been working overtime to get people to jump in and help them make a lot of money.

Last edited by a moderator:

The huge red flag should be the low volume.  Looks like smart money taking profits.

I don't know any folks who've received stimulus checks yet. Maybe they are getting them throughout the week?
A lot of the people who have already gotten them use non-traditional banks like Chime which deposit $$$ before the ACH transaction actually clears. Seems like most people will get theirs on Wednesday.

My hold/buy GME narrative: hedge funds attacked both meme stocks in the AM, and they kept after GME because the squeezes are real. They let AMC run because there is not the same risk of a rocket. 

Downside: 200 has to be a rock solid line for buyers. If that breaks, I'm really worried. 

Latest prediction from one of the very few I pay attention to, Avi Gilbert, is pretty high on this year.  

It hink you mean ORA GME
:reported:

Still can’t believe I dumped after an early double up. I have 80 now but had 500. I should have just bit the bullet in the 80s and gotten all 500 back and let it ride. It’s almost harder to buy back in than if it was a stock I never owned. 
I look at it another way.  This stock ran to $180 and people were buyers there.  Nothing has changed in a negative company wise since then.  I look at it as proof that the markets are willing to go back there.  I find security in that and will pay somewhat of a premium for it.  I've bought and SE several times.  Sometimes I end up buying back higher sometimes I buy back 20% cheaper.  I think FLGT fits in with Crisper, SE, Fastly, etc...take some off the table on the runs in this volatile market but keep some skin in the game.

Paper hands here.  Just rid myself of a share at $223.25.  Probably means it will run now.  I have a self imposed Dodds limit of $1000 in junk like this.  I'm not going to work an extra year or two because of owning GME.

• Smile
I look at it another way.  This stock ran to $180 and people were buyers there.  Nothing has changed in a negative company wise since then.  I look at it as proof that the markets are willing to go back there.  I find security in that and will pay somewhat of a premium for it.  I've bought and SE several times.  Sometimes I end up buying back higher sometimes I buy back 20% cheaper.  I think FLGT fits in with Crisper, SE, Fastly, etc...take some off the table on the runs in this volatile market but keep some skin in the game.
Yeah, I got my skin back in, but I panicked a bit because of that huge drop from that stupid 5 second testing PR from some big company. I don't think we've heard boo from that. Lesson learned. I'm still a relative newbie to stock investing, getting better, but I'll hopefully be investing for a long time.

BTW, I own all those stocks and I was smart with FSLY selling 80-85% at $135 which was super duper frothy to me. Still have a bunch since I my average cost was $17.

I trust in Ryan Cohen and will hold this long term if need be. 
Trust in Ryan Cohen means buying this stock in the $20 range, not in the hundreds. 

What can he possibly say right now that still doesn't make this stock extremely overvalued.

Once the bottom caves, you will wait years and that's if you are lucky, to get a whiff at what it is right now.

I have mostly been following along in here and buying small chunks of things people have thrown out there.  Talking small $$ amounts here.

One issue is that it is hard to discern sometimes whether the recommended play is day-trading, total speculation, a few weeks/month depending on earnings, or a longer term hold.  In that light, have you guys sold off or are looking to hold longer:

VGAC

PLTR

IPOE

CCIV

FLGT

HGEN

UUUU

Thanks!
I'm planning to hold FLGT and PLTR long-term, though I'm also occasionally trading shares of both in the short term. 

As long as you pay the cost to carry the borrow (vig) on a short sale, you can keep the position on until you close it.  Rarely will the stock loan dept call in your shares.  But saying shorts have an expiration date is incorrect.  

Point of order. 

Exactly.  I'm not going to pretend I understand much of this, but, if 8 million shorts expired Friday and the price doesn't balloon tomorrow that means there is no squeeze and the price isn't going to be high enough that the short sellers won't be able to do the exact same thing this coming Friday.  What am I missing?
Your missing that I sold off my position in AAPL to add GME shares at 250.  Should have been the warning flag for all of you.  

• Laughing
That's a put option. Not a short sale.
Yeah, I'm not aware of an expiration on a short sale ... only interest paid.

In the case of GME squeeze, I think what we were banking on "naked" calls that trigger ...

causing the seller of the calls to have to buy shares to cover.

This happened last Friday when the stock closed above $250 ... to the tune of 3 million shares (I think is what I read in here)

I fully expected a fat gap up over the weekend because of this. Did gap up slightly ...

but 3 mil x $264 per share (where it closed) = $792,000.000

are we to believe 3 mil shares / $792m just was infused into GME and the stock fell largely today?

Trust in Ryan Cohen means buying this stock in the $20 range, not in the hundreds. 

What can he possibly say right now that still doesn't make this stock extremely overvalued.

Once the bottom caves, you will wait years and that's if you are lucky, to get a whiff at what it is right now.
He’s going to say GameStop has acquired an NFT of Jeff Bridges taking a poop from a 25 year old movie and the stock is going to go up 300%

I fully expected a fat gap up over the weekend because of this. Did gap up slightly ...

are we to believe 3 mil shares / $792m just was infused into GME and the stock fell largely today?
As I understand it, they have two days to deliver the shares, so it is potentially in play tomorrow if they spent today on the sell side, driving the price down.

I have mostly been following along in here and buying small chunks of things people have thrown out there.  Talking small $$ amounts here.

One issue is that it is hard to discern sometimes whether the recommended play is day-trading, total speculation, a few weeks/month depending on earnings, or a longer term hold.  In that light, have you guys sold off or are looking to hold longer:

VGAC

PLTR

IPOE

CCIV

FLGT

HGEN

UUUU

Thanks!
Sorry I missed this Leroy

PLTR - 1.25% position.  About 0.25% of that is new shares purchased at $21.  I'll dump those around $30 or on any day with a 15% plus pop.  Rest is a long term hold.

IPOE - 3% postion.  About 1% of that was purchase at $15.  I'll sell those $25 or on any day with a 20% pop.  The rest is a long term hold.

FLGT - 1.25% position left, sold off 0.25% today.  I'll sell half if we see any crazy runs like the last one.  Would like to be at 1% long term

HGEN - 1.25% position left, sold 0.25% today.  I'll dribble some of these shares off over time we see a $2-$3 upward move.  I'll add 0.25% any time we see a big down day on no news.  This statement really applies to all of the above.

Already sold CCIV and bought the next two up to bat.

UUUU - Down to a 0.6% position, sold exactly 1/2 today.  I'm holding these shares for $9-$10, they are already up 86%.  I've been a UUUU buyer on any day the price falls 10% and a seller when it's up that much.  I've already flipped 2x that amount of shares for just shy of a 30% gain.

Yeah, I'm not aware of an expiration on a short sale ... only interest paid.

In the case of GME squeeze, I think what we were banking on "naked" calls that trigger ...

causing the seller of the calls to have to buy shares to cover.

This happened last Friday when the stock closed above $250 ... to the tune of 3 million shares (I think is what I read in here)

Right, sorry, expire, trigger whatever.  My point was that the dates were important and it was 8.4 million shares according to Dodds numbers.  

That can't be right.

If I'm the recipient of said shares ... no way I should have to wait 2 days.
Everything I've heard/read seems to be that there is a timeperiod to it.  I mean it's based on closing price Friday that causes the "trigger" and it goes to the moon when call sellers try to buy more as they drive the price up at the same time. 

At least that's how I hear people describe it, it wouldnt have that effect if it happened instantaneously. 

Now if the price is dropping, maybe they arent in such a hurry.  All I was trying to say is if it doesnt happen soon, the price will be too low for the "triggers" this Friday to matter. 

Somebody knows all the rules, and ought to be able to tell if 8 million shares are bought to cover these calls since Friday.  Especially since it's been low volume. 

Somebody knows all the rules, and ought to be able to tell if 8 million shares are bought to cover these calls since Friday.  Especially since it's been low volume. 
Almost 50 million shares traded on Friday and Monday. A couple million shares right at the end of the day. I have no idea how many shares needed to be bought. People can sell calls with their own shares in hand. So not all of the shares need to be bought. Anyway, it people had to buy the shares, it seems like they easily could have or would have already.

A lot of the people who have already gotten them use non-traditional banks like Chime which deposit $$$ before the ACH transaction actually clears. Seems like most people will get theirs on Wednesday.
This. The IRS put a settlement date of 3/17 on the ACH payments, Chime has decided to make the funds available before they get settlement from the Fed, Chase, Wells, etc. are waiting until the 17th to release the funds. 95 million payments went ACH and about 60M went by check and prepaid cards. 

Almost 50 million shares traded on Friday and Monday. A couple million shares right at the end of the day. I have no idea how many shares needed to be bought. People can sell calls with their own shares in hand. So not all of the shares need to be bought. Anyway, it people had to buy the shares, it seems like they easily could have or would have already.
So of all of the calls that triggered last Friday, ... could have been 80% covered calls and only 20% naked.

8 mil shares suddenly shrinks to 1.6 mil shares needing to be purchased. This makes more sense to me than a "time delay" on covering calls that triggered.

.... Also, who's to say that recipients of these shares did not immediately sell them for cash ... negating the positive affect on the stock price. Options traders be trading options ... not holding stonks.

I'm starting to lean the other way here.  $300 GME might be pie in the sky.

So of all of the calls that triggered last Friday, ... could have been 80% covered calls and only 20% naked.

8 mil shares suddenly shrinks to 1.6 mil shares needing to be purchased. This makes more sense to me than a "time delay" on covering calls that triggered.

.... Also, who's to say that recipients of these shares did not immediately sell them for cash ... negating the positive affect on the stock price. Options traders be trading options ... not holding stonks.

I'm starting to lean the other way here.  $300 GME might be pie in the sky.
Gonna be a lot of stops set at 200 here that are going to crash through soon. 

• Smile
I paper handed 85% of my GME this morning and will be looking for bottom again, I do like the company.

Now my largest investments in the fun account are a couple of companies with HQs in Canada... planning to stick a while with last weeks purchases of Helium (DMEHF) and Hydrogen (BLDP).

Thanks to @General Malaise & @Todem for those suggestions. 

• Love

Users who are viewing this thread