Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Stock Thread

6 minutes ago, rick6668 said:

Today sucks.

Really does. I’m so long term that it really doesn’t bother me that much because I like the stocks and I’ve got another tranche to invest and leave it alone for a while. It just sucks seeing Blooming Brands raking when stocks I own blow away estimates and are growing 50-60% and get hammered just because.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, David Dodds said:

You guys seem a tad more stressed about GME than me. I am at peace day trading the hell out of this. 

Sell 1/2 of what you own at the open. 

Set block sells at +$2 intervals above the market open.

Once this reverses, subtract $10 from your average price you sold at and start buying back.

I am back to managing shares (not worried about price). I have lost money today (on paper), but I have the same shares I started with and have pocketed $12,000+ already. I can do this forever, but I still expect the squeeze will happen.

You can do that with anything.  If you want to take advantage of volatility, and do it at a much faster pace, do it with crypto currency.   The other things that were supposed to make GME unique don't appear to be real, more internet lore.

Crappy thing is that the market is still well off the lows from a few weeks ago but the kind of stuff I own is already almost back to those lows.  Seems like we could pretty easily re-test those lows again which are still a ways down there.

I don't see any reason to go long on anything right now until we see a real market turnaround. I've been sitting on a lot of cash since mid-February and there just hasn't been a real compelling entry point. I'll continue with short term swing stocks until we see some better signs of life.

I was sure that the spring opening up would be a catalyst but it's clearly going to take a little longer. Maybe summer now, especially in Europe. We're selling our house in NY in a couple of months. Maybe that money won't be coming in too late after all!

Holding my GME freeroll. I think there's enough support that of the synthetic shares theory that if this hits on the 40s again, it can easily get the momentum going for another run to 200+. I might add some more at those levels just to bring my CB down again and I'm sure hedge funds will as well. 

It's plain as day they control this thing. They can now make money on the way up and on the way down. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, FreeBaGeL said:

Crappy thing is that the market is still well off the lows from a few weeks ago but the kind of stuff I own is already almost back to those lows.  Seems like we could pretty easily re-test those lows again which are still a ways down there.

Could definitely see that if you have a lot of the ARKK type stocks. That fund is back down close to the lows. 

NRGU saving me again.  And I hate big oil  :lol:

I was about 20% cash to end last week.  Down to 10% now.  I have another 10% in SPACs doing nothing and may get out of those to DCA on some longer term plays I like better.

Getting towards an end of quarter, and chance there is some reallocation going on too?   

Edited by beef

47 minutes ago, Pipes said:

HGEN WTF?  Down close to 50% this month.  

It sucks, but still is a mostly binary bet on positive data. Price action at this point not terribly important unless one thinks they sprung a leak. 

53 minutes ago, beef said:

NRGU saving me again.  And I hate big oil  :lol:

I was about 20% cash to end last week.  Down to 10% now.  I have another 10% in SPACs doing nothing and may get out of those to DCA on some longer term plays I like better.

Getting towards an end of quarter, and chance there is some reallocation going on too?   

We actually surmised that based on the March lows that people could be dumping now as they are in long terms capital gains territory and honestly based on the Biden proposals it could be good to sell this year thinking capital gains could suck next year.

I wish I was smarter as I felt like I should move more to cash at the highs, just never got around to it. Now, I’ll just ride it out like last March. March kind of sucks balls.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Angry Beavers said:

Welp these diamond hands will hold GME as a long term play - .............

Holy crap. I was on calls all afternoon so just saw it. I’m not going to lie and say I’m surprised. I had a feeling when the real world got back in play that it would take a big drop. I don’t care about the gimmicks, I just don’t think it’s a good company and doesn’t have much prospect wise. Since they don’t have exclusive content or platforms, I see them in the same vein as say Best Buy, a retailer more online. Problem is that Best Buy trades at a multiple of price to sales under 1 (Best Buy is also profitable). At that multiple, note that based on growth, profitability and % of online sales GME should be lower, GME’s market cap should be under $4B and the stock price around $50. Add in that their sales are decreasing and you get to the analysts estimates of $15. There’s a lot of room to drop.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Thanks. I usually appreciate your posts but we understood where you stood on this at least 10 posts ago. I love this place because most people throw support to each other, but :deadhorse: seems over done on this. I know you are trying to help those that may not understand dumping their stimmy's into this with no savings is a pipe dream, but most here aren't in that position.

1 hour ago, Betterbelieveit said:

Thanks. I usually appreciate your posts but we understood where you stood on this at least 10 posts ago. I love this place because most people throw support to each other, but :deadhorse: seems over done on this. I know you are trying to help those that may not understand dumping their stimmy's into this with no savings is a pipe dream, but most here aren't in that position.

Ok buddy, I get it. I was legitimately shocked it dropped that much. Love the alt too. Didn’t see you posting too much about the incessant pump posts. I’ll stop bashing GME or you can feel free to just put me on ignore, I won’t mind.

2 hours ago, Betterbelieveit said:

Don't go to the CYDY thread! 😀😀😀

• Laughing 3

20 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Ok buddy, I get it. I was legitimately shocked it dropped that much. Love the alt too. Didn’t see you posting too much about the incessant pump posts. I’ll stop bashing GME or you can feel free to just put me on ignore, I won’t mind.

Fair enough. Not trying to call you out specifically. I agree there should be a meme thread as they deserve their own. Just like CYDY which I have been on since @chet first recommended it and made money that I wouldn't have known about outside of this place. This is just as much a gamble, not an investment. Like I said I appreciate your posts. I just felt like Dodds was just trying to help us make a few bucks if you knew what you were doing with this and others tailed him. No reason to constantly berate it. No harm meant. I like the constructive criticism everyone here offers. I just felt you were playing the Don't Pass Line as a celebration against it. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, IC FBGCav said:
On 3/23/2021 at 6:27 PM, David Dodds said:

Hell, I ordered a thousand dollars worth of stuff the past few weeks alone.

This is where I think GME can't be compared to Chewy.  

I spend probably 500 dollars every 2 months with Chewy because all my items are perishable.  GME products have a much longer life span and less need for them after purchased once.  Huge advantage to chewy imo.

I would argue this is where GME is better.  GME products can be sold and resold many times.

2 hours ago, Betterbelieveit said:

He may be beating a dead horse, but the other side was beating a fossilized horse.  He was dead on about this stock and is one of the best posters to listen to in this thread.  He’s one of the few to point out overvalued stocks. I’ll take 10 more of his GME posts as long as he tosses us one other nugget. 

• Like 4
  • Love 3

18 minutes ago, JAA said:

I would argue this is where GME is better.  GME products can be sold and resold many times.

Well if dog crap GME shares can be sold surely Chewy will find a way to monetize dog poo. 

• Laughing 1

@Todem.. Hola GB! Was wondering if you liked this as an entry point for BLDP? Still long? 

Asking seriously...  If you're still confident in the company/stock this seems like a good buying opp. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I’ve been buying my favorites. NNOX, TLRY, RIOT. Lowest prices on all I’ve been able to get in a while. I hope they choose to go up soon! RIOT has me the most concerned with earnings expected and the Bitcoin prices taking a dump. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, caustic said:
4 hours ago, Steeler said:

Why did HZAC jump on 3/18?  Was there some kind of announcement?

Rumor that they’re going to be acquiring VividSeats, I believe.

I can't figure out if that is an acquisition I want any part of. Should be a deal done at more attractive price than a lot of SPACs we have seen.

I can get the appeal of SPAC's but I think I'll be done with them once SVFAU is decided. I hate just waiting to see what happens and prefer watching trends to make decisions. Similar to why I usually avoid IPO's

Drama alert. Serving up a hot take special. 

I’m considering a serious overhaul. I love this thread, so many folks,  @Todemin particular, helped me scrape myself back together after the bloody March of 2020. I was literally paralyzed and couldn’t get back into the market. I finally did in mid April and things turned around in a big way. The todem list was cash money. I got lucky on some scam penny stocks, Wild West crypto plays, a few SPAC’s, etc. I know everything doesn’t go up in a straight line. There are peaks and valleys. The past few months just feel different. I’m convinced that the big money players don’t buy and hold anymore. They’re swing trading based on algorithms- not just more than usual, but nearly always. I’m not smart enough to know when to flex, and I surely don’t have the massive capital to contend. The whales are in and out more than Charlie Sheen at a massage parlor. The piles of cash must be massive at all times. They’re all freaking swing trading, I know it. I feel I need to lower my individual holdings and go back to dummy index funds. Sure I love my SE type returns, but they’re balanced out by frequent 10-15% kicks in the groin on other holdings. May go back to IVV, VTI type crap and call it a day. This messes with my head too much.

TLDR, I don’t know that I have the mental strength and aptitude for this.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

26 minutes ago, NajehHejan said:

I’m considering a serious overhaul. I love this thread, so many folks,  @Todemin particular, helped me scrape myself back together after the bloody March of 2020. I was literally paralyzed and couldn’t get back into the market. I finally did in mid April and things turned around in a big way. The todem list was cash money. I got lucky on some scam penny stocks, Wild West crypto plays, a few SPAC’s, etc. I know everything doesn’t go up in a straight line. There are peaks and valleys. The past few months just feel different. I’m convinced that the big money players don’t buy and hold anymore. They’re swing trading based on algorithms- not just more than usual, but nearly always. I’m not smart enough to know when to flex, and I surely don’t have the massive capital to contend. The whales are in and out more than Charlie Sheen at a massage parlor. The piles of cash must be massive at all times. They’re all freaking swing trading, I know it. I feel I need to lower my individual holdings and go back to dummy index funds. Sure I love my SE type returns, but they’re balanced out by frequent 10-15% kicks in the groin on other holdings. May go back to IVV, VTI type crap and call it a day. This messes with my head too much.

Nothing wrong with that. This is me. I’m just naturally risk averse. 95% of what I own is in index. I use 5% as play just because i like learning and following the markets but it’s nothing that would break me. And honestly, you’ll outperform most stock pickers just playing the passive game anyway. 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, NajehHejan said:

Not a hot take at all. Getting rich slowly index funds is one of the best games out there.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Nick Vermeil said:

I’ve been buying my favorites. NNOX, TLRY, RIOT. Lowest prices on all I’ve been able to get in a while. I hope they choose to go up soon! RIOT has me the most concerned with earnings expected and the Bitcoin prices taking a dump. 

Me too.  im in RIOT big.  like all in.  So, Im holding till it goes up no matter what.  I think we can play the swings in general though.

BC @ $54K?  Buy  

$60K something, sell...  Well see if my plan works.  only have had 1 go so far.:hifive:

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Desert_Power said:

Did she mistype BEEM?

I never hopped in the BEEM/BEAM you guys have been following.  might be my bad.

Buy BEAM BEAM THERAPEUTICS INC   106,512 shares

4 minutes ago, KGB said:

I never hopped in the BEEM/BEAM you guys have been following.  might be my bad.

Buy BEAM BEAM THERAPEUTICS INC   106,512 shares

I've been out of BEEM for a while, just joking for whomever is still in there. A tidy double was enough for me.

Did add some more PLTR and SE today myself. May have to sell some puts on the former too depending how the week goes.

ETA: Got another share of LMND today too because I had a random 100 bucks in my Roth. Big money over here.

Edited by Desert_Power
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, bcnfinance said:

Nothing wrong with that. This is me. I’m just naturally risk averse. 95% of what I own is in index. I use 5% as play just because i like learning and following the markets but it’s nothing that would break me. And honestly, you’ll outperform most stock pickers just playing the passive game anyway. 

Absolutely this.  (not sure how to multi-quote, so the rest of this is really for @NajehHejan )

I've avoided posting this thread for months now as it's become well, not so great imho.  Stock pickers can beat the market, sure.  But if you're looking long term, I'd love to see how many of these people beat passive/index investments.  Pretty sure it's going to be less than 5%, probably quite a bit lower.

I love investing and I've posted plenty of stocks I've bought/sold in the past.  But I invest, I don't trade, because frankly, that's not for me.  I sleep very well at night not worrying about a 6 figure position in a stock that I know nothing about other than what I read on some message board.  I have no problem throwing down a bit on what I consider a gamble/speculative play, but if it fails, not going to change my life one bit.  I'm also at the stage of life where I'm all about preserving wealth, so I may not be in the same boat as many in here.

If you're trading, the money to be made is in high vol stocks.  The beta on the stocks in this thread are ridiculous and absolutely not for me, thus the reason I stay away.  If stock market is down 2% for the day, that's a pretty big hit for me.  But if you're playing with stocks with high betas, you'll be down 5%+ for the day.  Then you're playing the old, got to get that back game, so hopefully when the market goes up 2%, you are up 5%.  But, over the long run, you're going to be spinning your wheels and stressed and God forbid you take a very big position in a very ill fated stock.  

Majority of my money is in index funds.  But, I definitely have a greater percentage of individual stocks than most as this is a hobby for me.  Imho, if you're going to trade, pick your spots.  There are thousands of individual stocks out there.  Some people are way more active traders, but I'm pretty happy with my returns year over year and don't need to compare gains vs others.  

g'luck

• Like 5
  • Love 5

9 hours ago, NajehHejan said:

I think the same thing. I see these NFT things popping meh stocks just because they mention it. I don’t mean to be grandpa again but you just know that while it may continue there’s going to be a ton of big losers. Reminds me of blockchain companies after Bitcoin’s first run up. Crap companies just attaching blockchain to their name and money piling in. I think with social media, we are always going to have that. Every alt coin blowing up. Look at it now and BTC and ETH made it through but where are the rest? Way lower than their artificial pops.

It’s really tough as a long term investor seeing stocks get crushed after repeatedly beating earnings and companies with declining revenues or PRs that you know are a joke get bid up. You can decide to go the index route or you can buy good companies and ride them out. One thing I like about Motley Fool is that they continually talk about expecting your stocks to dive. It’s not if, it’s when. Amazon after the dot com bubble went down 90%. Tons of people probably jumped ship and it’s value is now 30x more than it’s high before that drop. What never changed was it’s actual growth. That’s an extreme example and I hope that doesn’t happen here, but look at the chart of any good stock over years and there are tons of dips. Good companies will weather the storm, but I hear you about feeling like you are missing out and it’ll never get back on track. I’m glad we had such a good 2020 that it feels like riding out another March 2020 to me is not a big deal. If I get some more really cheap shares when I look back in 5 years, so much the better.

TLDR, we are in a social media instant news world and while you can say you are investing in the long term it’s not as easy to set and forget while mini booms happen weekly in random sets of stocks. Also, SE is a great company and something I own that I feel good about owning for years.

Edited by stbugs
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Bossman said:

I need some guidance on GME...

Any chart reading gurus what to tell me where this settles?

We talking $120, $100, $50?

No charts for stocks like this. It’s probably worth 30-50. Decent chance if it gets low enough it’ll get blown back up to 200. My cost basis is a little higher than current SP so I’m just going to hold for the gambles. I think all the gamma squeeze stuff was just smoke but no fire. 

• Like 2
  • Thinking 1