What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (14 Viewers)

Drama alert. Serving up a hot take special. 

I’m considering a serious overhaul. I love this thread, so many folks,  @Todemin particular, helped me scrape myself back together after the bloody March of 2020. I was literally paralyzed and couldn’t get back into the market. I finally did in mid April and things turned around in a big way. The todem list was cash money. I got lucky on some scam penny stocks, Wild West crypto plays, a few SPAC’s, etc. I know everything doesn’t go up in a straight line. There are peaks and valleys. The past few months just feel different. I’m convinced that the big money players don’t buy and hold anymore. They’re swing trading based on algorithms- not just more than usual, but nearly always. I’m not smart enough to know when to flex, and I surely don’t have the massive capital to contend. The whales are in and out more than Charlie Sheen at a massage parlor. The piles of cash must be massive at all times. They’re all freaking swing trading, I know it. I feel I need to lower my individual holdings and go back to dummy index funds. Sure I love my SE type returns, but they’re balanced out by frequent 10-15% kicks in the groin on other holdings. May go back to IVV, VTI type crap and call it a day. This messes with my head too much.

TLDR, I don’t know that I have the mental strength and aptitude for this.
The list I gave you are buy and holds. Period. 

It works. It always has......it always will. 

History has proven this over and over and over and over and over and over.

Buying and holding great companies is a tried and true strategy. 

What do you think index funds are doing? The difference is....you manage your portfolio yourself buying individual stocks, you have the ability to manage your risk and volatility, your tax exposure, there are a lot of advantages of having a true professional or if you can handle it yourself, by all means you should. It does take work. 

Do I trim and rotate and get tactical? Yes....but nearly as much as what you are describing what you think is going on. Not even close. Rebalancing is part of the method of course. But long term buying and holding is a great strategy....especially when it comes to dividends reinvesting. Having a well diversified portfolio and a decent yield (I am talking 3% or more) is incredibly important. 

No emotion. Just stay on top of the companies. Do your research, know your tolerance for risk and understand your time horizon. Money in the stock market should always be ear marked for the long term to make sure you do not make emotional decisions during times of extreme volatility. If you knew back in March of 2020 this money was not going to be needed for 10, 15, 20 years....why sweat it? 

If you are that nervous the stock market and investing in equites is simply not for you. Nothing wrong with that. But if you cannot handle volatility you really should not be in stocks or stock mutual funds. 

Make sure you have your rainy day cash in the bank...not the market. 

As basic as it sounds....a lot of people make the same mistakes all the time because they do not have the discipline to simply stick to the plan. 

Anyway.....I will say it again. Hold all those companies. Long term I see nothing keeping them from continuing to do well. If I did....I would say so.

I was getting roasted a little about my BA pick when the stock went to $100. I felt like people were thinking they would never make planes anymore and were done. 

Welp.....

Again....when there is extreme bearishness on stocks that have outstanding models, business’s...buy buy buy. Risky? Yeah it was at that moment. But the belief I had was they will work there way out of it. Our country will work our way out of it. And we are. Do I make mistakes? Yes. I am human. I do not bat 1000%. But my track record I think speaks for itself in terms of how I select stocks, and how I diversify my portfolio and also how I stay away from pie in the sky.

I don’t look for the fast buck. I look for opportunity that simply makes sense and stocks that are disconnected and long term are being oversold (basically the entire market in March 2020 LOL).

Yeah I am value guy by nature but I also like great growth stocks that make sense (AMZN, GOOGL, NFLX, DIS, BLDP, QS) So I do look for big winners. But the core of my portfolio are solid household names that pay great dividends. Yeah....boring stuff. But it works.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its speculation, not corroboration
Duh.  Who knows how much exposure he himself actually had, but his guys did get skinned.

And if there is any truth to his net worth dropping a whopping 25% from April in 2020, where did that come from?  Stonks were skyrocketing.

What do you think index funds are doing? The difference is....you manage your portfolio yourself buying individual stocks, you have the ability to manage your risk and volatility, your tax exposure, there are a lot of advantages of having a true professional or if you can handle it yourself, by all means you should. It does take work. 

Do I trim and rotate and get tactical? Yes....but nearly as much as what you are describing what you think is going on. Not even close. Rebalancing is part of the method of course. But long term buying and holding is a great strategy....especially when it comes to dividends reinvesting. Having a well diversified portfolio and a decent yield (I am talking 3% or more) is incredibly important. 

No emotion. Just stay on top of the companies. Do your research, know your tolerance for risk and understand your time horizon. Money in the stock market should always be ear marked for the long term to make sure you do not make emotional decisions during times of extreme volatility. If you knew back in March of 2020 this money was not going to be needed for 10, 15, 20 years....why sweat it? 

If you are that nervous the stock market and investing in equites is simply not for you. Nothing wrong with that. But if you cannot handle volatility you really should not be in stocks or stock mutual funds. 

As basic as it sounds....a lot of people make the same mistakes all the time because they do not have the discipline to simply stick to the plan. 

Anyway.....I will say it again. Hold all those companies. Long term I see nothing keeping them from continuing to do well. If I did....I would say so.

I was getting roasted a little about my BA pick when the stock went to $100. I felt like people were thinking they would never make planes anymore and were done. 

Welp.....

Again....when there is extreme bearishness on stocks that have outstanding models, business’s...buy buy buy. Risky? Yeah it was at that moment. But the belief I had was they will work there way out of it. Our country will work our way out of it. And we are. Do I make mistakes? Yes. I am human. I do not bat 1000%. But my track record I think speaks for itself in terms of how I select stocks, and how I diversify my portfolio and also how I stay away from pie in the sky.

I don’t look for the fast buck. I look for opportunity that simply makes sense and stocks that are disconnected and long term are being oversold (basically the entire market in March 2020 LOL).

Yeah I am value guy by nature but I also like great growth stocks that make sense (AMZN, GOOGL, NFLX, DIS, BLDP, QS) So I do look for big winners. But the core of my portfolio are solid household names that pay great dividends. Yeah....boring stuff. But it works.
When you see some of the growth stocks you mention above take a dive, do you trim some of your safe reliable stuff to take advantage?  For instance I trimmed some of my Kroger today to by FLGT, QS, etc.  Once these stocks recover I'll sell them and them reloaded back into the safe stuff when it pulls back.  I'm manipulating maybe 10% of my portfolio in this manner.

Amazing, it’s trading like at&t less the dividend. Only reason I don’t sell is because when it breaks loses there’s $1k a share in appreciation on back order. 
This is a long process. It sucks right now but it’ll blow to 4k one month/quarter and we’ll forget about it. 

this is false. there's a reason all of these professions are unionized and talent agencies and the unions make a killing all the time going after studios over these types of things. the dollars behind these kinds of decisions are ridiculously big. and if the logic behind these things are this clear cut, then cable companies would have been out of business already. there are so many layers to this that a change to this industry will be slower than snail pace. it's certainly already in flux thanks to Netflix very specifically.
No, it’s not. Disney has sent movies direct to streaming as had HBO and Amazon. Netflix is all streaming. How has that been stopped? Seems like it changed in a few months. Doesn’t mean movie theaters are gone but none of TTD movies straight to streaming have been stopped in any fashion.

Black Widow will be streaming the same day it opens. Wonder Woman and Milan already did. Those are blockbuster level movies straight to streaming. It’s already happening.

• Smile
Reactions: JAA
Lol. Dude, that stock is going to do whatever it wants. There’s no rhyme or reason. While every dip is blamed on shorts and jump is the good guys fighting back, it’s just based on momentum. It’s so followed now that FOMO is on both sides. I think all the bad guys are long gone now especially due to the hearings. One stock isn’t worth risking Congress changing their hedge fund rules.

• Smile
Reactions: JAA
When you see some of the growth stocks you mention above take a dive, do you trim some of your safe reliable stuff to take advantage?  For instance I trimmed some of my Kroger today to by FLGT, QS, etc.  Once these stocks recover I'll sell them and them reloaded back into the safe stuff when it pulls back.  I'm manipulating maybe 10% of my portfolio in this manner.
Yes.  When the conviction is very very strong I will do that. Rotation when it is clearly obvious to me is something I will do, but I won't over do it. It is prudent when you have high conviction and the market simply has it wrong.

Work has been crazy lately. I've bought a lot more SE over the last couple of weeks. Now our largest individual holding behind Disney. Pretty sure I'll keep adding as long as we're around $200.

Todem said:
Yes.  When the conviction is very very strong I will do that. Rotation when it is clearly obvious to me is something I will do, but I won't over do it. It is prudent when you have high conviction and the market simply has it wrong.
EBS sounds like 1 of these to you, no?

Todem said:

Welp.....

AMEN. 

Crazy this thread hasn't been bumped all weekend. I've noticed a few stories this weekend of a huge fund selling stocks bc they were margin called. Archeagoes? What's the action that should be taken with this event?

Todem said:

Welp.....

bump, to keep us sane .  thanks buddy

Crazy this thread hasn't been bumped all weekend. I've noticed a few stories this weekend of a huge fund selling stocks bc they were margin called. Archeagoes? What's the action that should be taken with this event?
Futures are getting demolished on Credit Suisse announcing that they either are or already have liquidated a hedge fund's positions as well.  They conveniently left out whether it's the same hedge fund that Goldman liquidated on Friday.  If it's a different one that would probably be bad if two HF's went under within a couple days.

Once again, multi-billion dollar hedge funds yolo'ing money they don't have into high volatility plays 10x worse than your average WSB'er and bringing the whole market down with them.  I wonder if congress has made any progress on protecting retail traders from themselves and damaging the market in that Gamestop hearing.  Busy busy.

ETA: Oh and of course the guy that ran the HF that got margin called on Friday already plead guilty to insider trading in the past, yet was still somehow allowed to manage a $30 billion hedge fund with 5:1 leverage.  Neat market.

Futures are getting demolished on Credit Suisse announcing that they either are or already have liquidated a hedge fund's positions as well.  They conveniently left out whether it's the same hedge fund that Goldman liquidated on Friday.  If it's a different one that would probably be bad if two HF's went under within a couple days.

Once again, multi-billion dollar hedge funds yolo'ing money they don't have into high volatility plays 10x worse than your average WSB'er and bringing the whole market down with them.  I wonder if congress has made any progress on protecting retail traders from themselves and damaging the market in that Gamestop hearing.  Busy busy.

ETA: Oh and of course the guy that ran the HF that got margin called on Friday already plead guilty to insider trading in the past, yet was still somehow allowed to manage a $30 billion hedge fund with 5:1 leverage.  Neat market.
:shock:

If I could understand any of this post I’ve got the feeling I should be pissed. 

People need to go to jail.  Whether its the HF for dubious practices or SEC for not doing its job.

Am I the last bag holder with OESX? What a colossal turd. 
I sold before earnings (posted when I did.) It's been a good earnings trade, will probably do it again in early or mid May and sell before June 2nd. 

Seems oversold right now but so does everything else. 

I should have dumped it over $9 and put it elsewhere although nothing this year has really done well.
I bought more KALA on Friday when it dumped.  Still feel like this is a pretty safe play and their product has only been on the market a few months.  

I'd buy more today but I have enough in it already.  

This one may take a quarter or two to flourish but I think it will certainly surpass $9 by end of year and likely a lot sooner than that

Today's price is a buying opp

I like TDOC at $170. Just sold a put for April 16th, strike price more or less at the money ($170), paying me $9.50. I'll sign up for that all day long, three weeks at a roughly 6% premium.
What is your process for finding options that you want to buy/sell?

Users who are viewing this thread