What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (13 Viewers)

Iā€™m all in on this MUDS, decided to focus my secondary accountĀ on 1-2 targets. Was a bit late, butĀ in for a yolo amount at 12.67. Ā I think this thing has seriousĀ legs.Ā 

Thatā€™s all I have in my play accountĀ besides a minuscule amount of QS.Ā 

Note: Ā This is notĀ financial advice šŸ¤£

Todem runs my real account toĀ make sure I can really retire.

Last edited by a moderator:
Iā€™m all in on this MUDS, decided to focus my secondary accountĀ on 1-2 targets. Was a bit late, butĀ in for a yolo amount at 12.67. Ā I think this thing has seriousĀ legs.Ā 

I'm thinking about doing the same thing... I'm in at 11.86 but I'm thinking about averaging up. Play money for me too, but I think this could be a cash cow.

EBS is getting brutal. Ā Having a hard time deciding if I want to eat the 23% loss and move on. Ā The articles I've read make this company look like a complete train wreck.

EBS is getting brutal. Ā Having a hard time deciding if I want to eat the 23% loss and move on. Ā The articles I've read make this company look like a complete train wreck.
Same thoughts here. It is competing with Peloton for biggest dog in my portfolio. I might flip back over to solar/wind energy stocks with Biden announcing emission reduction goals.Ā 

Yes...EBS news is killing this stock. The headwinds are very very strong in the near term......at the same time I think they can recover and have a violent snap back up be year end.

Doing some more research.Ā 

This reminds me of Merck back in 2004 when they had the huge Viox issues. The stock was crushed.....2 years later it roared back over 100%. This is why I never panic in the bio tech space when the company has had a nice track record. EBS has done really well. But when government lawmakers are putting a target on you.....howdo you overcome that in the short term? And what kind of damage is being done long term. I will do a lot more digging and make a decision soon.Ā 

Pretty disappointing. These are things out of our control.

Same thoughts here. It is competing with Peloton for biggest dog in my portfolio. I might flip back over to solar/wind energy stocks with Biden announcing emission reduction goals.Ā 
I'd hold Peloton. Ā Although it's grossly overpriced and competition is coming in from everywhere, you'll get some good news that will make it pop and provide an exit.

Yes...EBS news is killing this stock. The headwinds are very very strong in the near term......at the same time I think they can recover and have a violent snap back up be year end.

This reminds me of Merck back in 2004 when they had the huge Viox issues. The stock was crushed.....2 years later it roared back over 100%. This is why I never panic in the bio tech space when the company has had a nice track record. EBS has done really well. But when government lawmakers are putting a target on you.....howdo you overcome that in the short term? And what kind of damage is being done long term. I will do a lot more digging and make a decision soon.Ā 

Thanks for the post. Ā Interested in seeing how a pro handles this situation and when/if you cut your losses and move elsewhere. Ā Not everything will be a winner. Ā The best at this know when not to be stubborn and move on ANDĀ when to be stubborn and ride it out.

Thanks for the post. Ā Interested in seeing how a pro handles this situation and when/if you cut your losses and move elsewhere. Ā Not everything will be a winner. Ā The best at this know when not to be stubborn and move on ANDĀ when to be stubborn and ride it out.
I have researched this company up and down and sideways......they will recover from this. But the news is a killer and some may get far too spooked.

We are holding long. We are down about 20-22% based on our average cost basis. That is not life changing on a position that makes up 2-3% max of our entire portfolio.Ā 

For those who are long term investors it is foolish to sell here. If your gambling...and trying to trade you may want to cut your losses here because it will take till at least year end to get this all sorted out.Ā 

I think the stock can easily get back to 65-70 once the news is passed, and if they get through the hearings ok. Which I think they will. It will just be a roller coaster.Ā 

The problems they had are correctable and will be corrected no doubt. It is just the institutional damage in the near term that will hurt the stock price. But I am not thinking about this year. I am looking forward 3 and 5 years at a time. That is how we invest.Ā 

Is it painful to see a loser in the portfolio? Yeah of course. But I have stated many many times. No one batā€™s .1000% but this company will turn it around IMO.

So if you have a long term horizon sit tight.Ā 

Your other option is this. If this is being held in an non IRA account and you have a lot of taxable gains on your books for 2021....use this as a tax loss to harvest and lower your capitol gains exposure.....wait 31 days and consider getting right back in at a new lower cost basis for the long term.

Hope this post helps.

The problems they had are correctable and will be corrected no doubt.
These problems were correctable when the FDA pointed them out in 2017, too, yet here we are.Ā Has there been any material changes in leadership since then that gives you more confidence theyā€™ll get it done this time? And I mean more than just cleaning up Baltimore - thereā€™s something systemic here that needs overhauled to prevent it from happening again,Ā like better internal controls or something. Interesting company, on my watchlist, just being cautious here.

These problems were correctable when the FDA pointed them out in 2017, too, yet here we are.Ā Has there been any material changes in leadership since then that gives you more confidence theyā€™ll get it done this time? And I mean more than just cleaning up Baltimore - thereā€™s something systemic here that needs overhauled to prevent it from happening again,Ā like better internal controls or something. Interesting company, on my watchlist, just being cautious here.
Prefacing it by saying I could be way off, but I feel like EBS is similar to Boeing - a company with a very defined product space without a lot of real competition (EBS sole provider of anthrax drug to US gov) that seems to have at least a somewhat broken culture.Ā  I was too scared of the perceived cultural problems at BA when Todem recommended it, but it seems like time has proven him correct.Ā  Will this be the same deal in the end where EBS is entrenched enough that barring total internal disfunction they will end up being just fine?Ā Ā  :shrug:

Prefacing it by saying I could be way off, but I feel like EBS is similar to Boeing - a company with a very defined product space without a lot of real competition (EBS sole provider of anthrax drug to US gov) that seems to have at least a somewhat broken culture.Ā  I was too scared of the perceived cultural problems at BA when Todem recommended it, but it seems like time has proven him correct.Ā  Will this be the same deal in the end where EBS is entrenched enough that barring total internal disfunction they will end up being just fine?Ā Ā  :shrug:
Exactly what I am speculating.Ā 

I have a good chunk of it as well but FWIW I was pretty unimpressed with their NFT launch.

Their approach to it is a lot less streamlined than topshots and as such there is already a lot less demand, even though these are presumably what should be their most valuable "cards" since they are the very first ones.

Sure could. Just thereā€™s easier opportunities while this plays out for me.Ā I have plenty of dangerous specs already. The anthrax thing is one of the items Congress is investigating, though.

Sure could. Just thereā€™s easier opportunities while this plays out for me.Ā I have plenty of dangerous specs already. The anthrax thing is one of the items Congress is investigating, though.
Totally agree - I won't be touching it personally.Ā  Just acknowledging that I made the same judgement of BA and I was wrong.Ā  I'm probably a bit scarred because I worked for a large company with a bloated, broken culture that completely imploded, so I tend to be very risk averse when it comes to these things.

The NYT article about leveraging the threat of bankruptcy to break the national stockpile was a bad look. Not hiring Kelli Ward bad, but close enough for me to pass. I'm sure they'll recover from this. I just don't want any part of that management team, regardless.

@stbugs Check your account for Inphi cash. Ā Ended up being 6% for me 4.5 months. Ā Not a huge win, but beats the 4.8% Amazonk gain over that time.
I saw it. I bought IPHI back in June so around 70-80% gain for less than a year. Iā€™ll take it. Whatā€™s weird is the cost basis for MRVL lists yesterdayā€™s closing price. When TDOC bought LVGO, they lost the cost basis based on what I paid for LVGO not when the transaction happened. Fortunately, LVGO was in my IRA and half of my IPHI was as well but itā€™ll be interesting to see the tax implications. It doesnā€™t show a ā€œsaleā€ in my history so outside of the cash (assume thatā€™s considered a sale, which sucks since itā€™s not a year), so Iā€™ll just hold on to MRVL past the year for IPHI in my taxable account just in case. I still have XLNX to go but thatā€™s in my IRA as well.

Todem said:
I have researched this company up and down and sideways......they will recover from this. But the news is a killer and some may get far too spooked.

We are holding long. We are down about 20-22% based on our average cost basis. That is not life changing on a position that makes up 2-3% max of our entire portfolio.Ā 

For those who are long term investors it is foolish to sell here. If your gambling...and trying to trade you may want to cut your losses here because it will take till at least year end to get this all sorted out.Ā 

I think the stock can easily get back to 65-70 once the news is passed, and if they get through the hearings ok. Which I think they will. It will just be a roller coaster.Ā 

The problems they had are correctable and will be corrected no doubt. It is just the institutional damage in the near term that will hurt the stock price. But I am not thinking about this year. I am looking forward 3 and 5 years at a time. That is how we invest.Ā 

Is it painful to see a loser in the portfolio? Yeah of course. But I have stated many many times. No one batā€™s .1000% but this company will turn it around IMO.

Your other option is this. If this is being held in an non IRA account and you have a lot of taxable gains on your books for 2021....use this as a tax loss to harvest and lower your capitol gains exposure.....wait 31 days and consider getting right back in at a new lower cost basis for the long term.

Hope this post helps.
Down about 40% now. Since I'm long I'll continue to look at what you're doing with your shares. I'm just hoping that the government doesn't take their contracts in the heat of the moment. Thanks for your update.

Still at a forward PE of 6 based on expectations and a yield of 5%. Ā Been DCAing down and it's now up to 6% of my portfolio. Ā My plan is to trim shares as they pass the 20% gain threshold.
Yeah, I'm hanging onto this one for awhile. I have all my kids in it too so they can just keep collecting those dividends.Ā Ā 

[icon] said:
Added 25% more BLDP at 18.28 to bring my CA down to $21.32. Nice to see the upward swing since... about time!

Freak Show said:
My average is $24.93, but I'm planning for 2025.

FreeBaGeL said:
$29.92 here :kicksrock:

identikit said:
$25.60 here...

Oy

caustic said:
With a lot ofĀ averaging down, Iā€™m atĀ $25.42 after opening my position at $35.75 :lmao: Ā 

Don't sweat it, all these numbers are essentially going to be the same entry point a year or two from now.

Todem said:

Opening position onĀ EBS today at $62. Will add more if it gets below 55.Ā 

Todem said:

Hope this post helps.
:goodposting:

Not phased at all.Ā  Super rare for me to sell low, holding at least until the beginning of next year to even re-evaluate. The exact same thing I would have done if I had owned Boeing in 2019 or 2020.Ā All companies have issues, what is really important is your belief in the company which translates to if and how well they recover from issues.Ā 

Sometimes it's not even that, I held FedEx through 2019 and 2020 and I hate that company, dumped them at 280 this year at a peak and a decent profit.Ā  Buy low, sell high, not the other way around.

Down about 40% now. Since I'm long I'll continue to look at what you're doing with your shares. I'm just hoping that the government doesn't take their contracts in the heat of the moment. Thanks for your update.
A ton of headline risk...sit tight. They are a legit company. Ride the storm. It will work out long term.

That's a hefty cap gains tax. Should have been expectedĀ by anyone with that level of income, though.

Still better than a per transaction tax.Ā 
Not that we make close to that, but I made some sales last year assuming capital gains taxes would jump this year. They talked about his plan to basically turn long terms gains for rich people into short term (taxes as income) and with his stimulus bills coming I figured he might lower the income threshold to put for things. Itā€™s why almost all my cash holdings are in the taxable accounts. If I can buy a stock in our IRAs, I will.

Users who are viewing this thread