What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (11 Viewers)

I love how market is basically flat since June 2014.  If you had your money in a high fee money market or traded alot you are likely down since start of 2014 and people are like ZOMG.

culdeus said:
I love how market is basically flat since June 2014.  If you had your money in a high fee money market or traded alot you are likely down since start of 2014 and people are like ZOMG.
I remember in high school that we learned something about the Rule of 72.  Somehow that should have made me rich by now.

So I have my primary setup as a TSP which mirrors the performance of the three major markets. Despite a good day yesterday, my balance went down? 

Only a hundred bucks down but still, was expecting a nice bump. I can't see any indicator why it went down. 

So I have my primary setup as a TSP which mirrors the performance of the three major markets. Despite a good day yesterday, my balance went down? 

Only a hundred bucks down but still, was expecting a nice bump. I can't see any indicator why it went down. 
Did you get the memo about the cover sheets?

I'll forward it to you. 

Good god, $2k loss and I'm out. I think oil closes the year in the $50-$55 range, not sure how to play it... Def done with the leveraged funds though, #### those things. 

Thinking of parking a lot of assets into gold... Can someone talk me off of it?
You're about 90 days too late IMO. We're trading below the 30 day moving average and we've seen a $140+ run up over the past three months that appears to be losing steam.

I think it's more likely than not that gold ends 2016 lower than the 1222 it currently stands at, but what do I know?

I would say that if you want a quick 25% on an investment, keep an eye on the centennial coins the mint is coming out with this year, especially the dime and the half. If the mintages are anywhere near low, there's going to be a bit of a frenzy. Probably not as strong as the 2015 Plat Eagle, but a restricted mintage should see a 25% ROI in 30 days or so.

ETA: mintage of 125k makes this kind of meh. Was hoping for 50k. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Bought 600 SSRI yesterday at 5.90 as I thought the $0.72 haircut on their acquisition news was a bit much. 
Out today at $6.27. I suspect a 5.95ish opportunity will be back tuesday.  

Out of SLV at 14.62 today also. 

Fc42 i know you asked about gold, but i would look at silver. AG, SLW, and SLV have all been good so far this year. They pretty much move together and respond quite well to jumps in the silver spot price. 

Wish i could say i have an exact pattern figured out for them but i cant. 

Been a nice couple weeks.  Everything I own is up big. 

Question on my oil stuff (I still hold a lot of UWTI, KMI, and XOM)
I'm staying long on XOM.

We've got this meeting Sunday in Doja, my UWTI is up 16 percent.  I'mm reticent to leave that there over the weekend, but also nervous to sell off and have the meeting turn the oil market on it's ear.  Any suggestions here?  What are other guys doing?

I don't want to get shouldered out because the meeting is Sunday from being able to do something with a 3x oil etf obviously.  So I answered my own question, sell it Friday?

Predictions for the meeting in Doja Sunday?

I'm rambling now.

Yeah - probably the way to go.  Thx Iggy.

Any thoughts on Caterpillar as well anyone?  Up 35%, pays a decent dividend but has been steaming for a few months now towards it's high.  Anything to indicate it's time to pull the rip cord?  It's obviously a long play for most and probably should be for me but I'm terribly undisciplined.

I got back into UWTI at $19, I'm up 35%, covered my earlier losses. 

I'm confident oil ends the year between $50-$55... Trying to figure out how to play it.
Same.  70% of my oil in XOM I'm happy with.  And usually play around with KMI, SLB and UCO from there.  15% in UWTI right now. Also trying to figure out how to play this because I agree with you.

Any thoughts on Caterpillar as well anyone?  Up 35%, pays a decent dividend but has been steaming for a few months now towards it's high.  Anything to indicate it's time to pull the rip cord?  It's obviously a long play for most and probably should be for me but I'm terribly undisciplined.
Not Caterpillar specific, but more towards construction, real estate, etc...

San Francisco's steaming market had their first quarter over quarter decline in prices from Q4 to Q1 in a long time. Might be worth noting and paying attention to.

ETA: Also worth noting, some of the extremely high end super expensive buildings on Billionaire's Row in Manhattan haven't been selling well lately either. Usually the smart money knows something first. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Not Caterpillar specific, but more towards construction, real estate, etc...

San Francisco's steaming market had their first quarter over quarter decline in prices from Q4 to Q1 in a long time. Might be worth noting and paying attention to.

ETA: Also worth noting, some of the extremely high end super expensive buildings on Billionaire's Row in Manhattan haven't been selling well lately either. Usually the smart money knows something first. 
Thanks - seems like a great long name either way and pays a dividend but I don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth either being up 35%  That's a good return no matter how you measure it.

I'll actually probably look to reinvest it into a riskier name in the same arena that isn't as close to it's high as CAT is.

FTR, I've become less bearish in the last month... I'm not in love with anything, but it is hard to fight the trends and a seven year run is a trend. Bad earnings over the last couple of quarters haven't ended the party.

I think these cycles like the one we are in will start becoming the new normal. Super Booms and Super Busts. I don't know if I see this super bull run being derailed yet, but continuing for reasons unknown instead. 

I think when this bull run we're in ends, it ends hard and painful and I don't want to be in the way. That might not be for another few years though.

I am not bearish by any means but I think stocks are fairly valued or slightly over valued.  Stock picking is much more important in times like these.  We are back near all time highs so in my opinion it is a very difficult time to invest right now with interest rates so low and a stock market that has run back up.  I am looking to take some profits here and park some money in cash in case we see another pullback.  Selling approximately 10% of my stock positions to be clear.

John Bender said:

CAT and HON both stocks I would like to be in.  I think I posted that a few months ago.  Nothing has changed for me.  But I'm not sure I love the entry points on either.  tbh, I wanted CAT in the 60s, and it blew through them faster than I ever would have expected.  I thought they would languish for a few more quarters and be a good buy closer to year end.  CAT certainly has room to run, but it feels to me like substantial growth somewhere in the world would have to drive that.  Where's that coming from?

Well, I'm a gambler.  Young enough to be able to recover if things go badly

I sold my UWTI yesterday for a nice profit.  Bought back using just the profit today on the pull back and added 100 pieces of UCO.
I'm going to hold it into Sundays meeting and see what happens :shrug:

I'd rather get clobbered Monday and stay long on the UCO then miss the potential Monday morning rally. I guess...

Be curious to know what the day trader guys are doing, but I know StL Bob is on vacation :(

I maxed out my IRA with oil so I'm a bit happier right now. Is this a burp or something to grab onto and just watch?

Is the rise a tease or is this going to stay at 18k with different sectors shifting around? I should have bought more silver when it was $13.80... oh well. 

AAPL pulling back a bit this morning, giving a slight buying opportunity for anyone who missed out on the 95 price point.

Seems like it's almost getting to be too late to get back into oil if you want to.  There's a small window at this point if you were looking to make a lot amount of money.

DDD still doing well.  I've shaved profit off of that twice now and we're still up.

F'n FCX - cost me so much money and I've missed all of this ride up.  

Pissed - that lasted for maybe 2 hours Monday morning.  It then surged up and it's still headed up today.  

I got rope a doped pretty bad, and did some panic selling Monday morning.  
I have come to the conclusion that the oil game is not for me to try and figure out.

I'm curious what the demand for the Tesla ends up doing to graphite.  Bought some invisibility at $.40 just to see if it can keep going with the Model 3.  That and I like being able to say I'm invested in invisibility.

I maxed out my IRA with oil so I'm a bit happier right now. Is this a burp or something to grab onto and just watch?

Is the rise a tease or is this going to stay at 18k with different sectors shifting around? I should have bought more silver when it was $13.80... oh well. 
Nobody knows the answers to your questions.  HTH.

I'm curious what the demand for the Tesla ends up doing to graphite.  Bought some invisibility at $.40 just to see if it can keep going with the Model 3.  That and I like being able to say I'm invested in invisibility.
My unrealized loss on that pig is now only $3,763.86.

THERE HE IS!@!!!!
Hey GB! :hifive:

Spent a grip in Italy, (Venice, Florence, Pisa, Lucca, Rome/Vatican City), need good returns more than ever now.    This is a must see country and can't wait to go back.  Spent a lot of time in museums and palaces but still didn't get to see some things.  Plus would like to take the trip a lot slower.  It was so great just sitting outside drinking and eating looking at the buildings and no shortage of jaw dropping beautiful women.  Took some pics, will post in a day or two. 

Hey GB! :hifive:

Spent a grip in Italy, (Venice, Florence, Pisa, Lucca, Rome/Vatican City), need good returns more than ever now.    This is a must see country and can't wait to go back.  Spent a lot of time in museums and palaces but still didn't get to see some things.  Plus would like to take the trip a lot slower.  It was so great just sitting outside drinking and eating looking at the buildings and no shortage of jaw dropping beautiful women.  Took some pics, will post in a day or two. 
I knew you were there.  Welcome back.  I posted @ you in the GM thread.  Let me know if you don't see it.  

Users who are viewing this thread