Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, JB Breakfast Club said:

Seriously. I'm going to give up on SPACs before conversion. IPOE and MUDS getting hammered. 

I’ve renamed IPOE to IPOO.   I just need to ignore it until later this summer. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 63.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • fantasycurse42

    3538

  • stbugs

    3396

  • BassNBrew

    3268

  • Capella

    2069

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Trying to time bottoms is very hard. If you believe in the company long term I feel this price is a very strong entry point long term. Set it and forget for a while. When it doubles....take your

I will make a wager. If this stock hits $420.69 before this earnings call on March 31st, I will pass out 100 FBG subscriptions to the gents in the stock thread.

sponks

6 minutes ago, stbugs said:

gosh darn MFer.. It and FLGT were the ones I really want more of long term, just feel good about them. 

I've been holding back from reducing my cost basis for FLGT. Might double down but man that ride has been bad.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Just an FYI on UPST. Last quarter they beat really well and said $500M for 2021 revenue ($240M was 2020) and that was way above estimates. Well, Q1 was $121M and they guided Q2 to $155M. That’s $276M by mid year and Q3/Q4 in 2020 were about 40% higher than Q1/Q2. So, basically one quarter in and I think they are already well above pace. Their P/S for 2021 is likely around 10-12 which is very reasonable for their growth. Snowflake is around 60 for similar growth.

I knew I should have jumped in but honestly this report makes me more confident.

Back to $103.

Edited by stbugs
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, -OZ- said:

I've been holding back from reducing my cost basis for FLGT. Might double down but man that ride has been bad.

If you are in long term, it won’t matter much but in the 60s is very palatable.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, urbanhack said:

Wow...that IPOE / SOFI recent announcement really bounced like a dead cat.  :rolleyes:

The guy (Chamath) was trying to act like a poor man's version of Musk. Surprised his grift/shtick has fallen apart so quickly....given how successful others have been.

Edited by Desert_Power
Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, -OZ- said:

Nice.

I'll settle for up just under 1% today in my account. (If it holds)

By great day I meant the same as you.  A good day is only down 1%.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Desert_Power said:

The guy (Chamath) was trying to act like a poor man's version of Musk. Surprised his grift/shtick has fallen apart so quickly....given how successful others have been.

I fell for it...I think I saw the light when he sold all his Virgin shares to "invest in fighting climate change"

Nothing he's invested in to date has been remotely close to climate change from my perspective. 

He can talk a good game, though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, uwillbsoon said:

I fell for it...I think I saw the light when he sold all his Virgin shares to "invest in fighting climate change"

Nothing he's invested in to date has been remotely close to climate change from my perspective. 

He can talk a good game, though.

All the KPIs and numbers for SoFi look pretty solid, no?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like many are posting their results from the day. My Roth opened at down 6% but by the end of the day was up over 2.5%. That's what I call a reversal, and much needed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, uwillbsoon said:

I fell for it...I think I saw the light when he sold all his Virgin shares to "invest in fighting climate change"

Nothing he's invested in to date has been remotely close to climate change from my perspective. 

He can talk a good game, though.

I knew what it was but also realized it could be a good way to get in earlier on the stocks that are very meme/personality driven that were hot last summer/fall.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, urbanhack said:

All the KPIs and numbers for SoFi look pretty solid, no?

Sure. I'm invested. DM too.

Thankfully passed on Clover. And virgin.

What I'm saying: I'm out on Chamath's personality. But I'm in on his companies if warranted. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, uwillbsoon said:

Sure. I'm invested. DM too.

Thankfully passed on Clover. And virgin.

What I'm saying: I'm out on Chamath's personality. But I'm in on his companies if warranted. 

Actually CLOV is a great day-trading stock. Buy it in the 8s, sell it in the 9s. Closed at $8.13 today.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, pecorino said:

Actually CLOV is a great day-trading stock. Buy it in the 8s, sell it in the 9s. Closed at $8.13 today.

Hmmm I heard this one about FLGT and $80 a few weeks ago.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

In the SPAC world, what is the difference between the regular ticker, the ticker with U on the end, and the ticker with W on the end?

I loses the most money followed by regular then W assuming 100 shares of each

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

In the SPAC world, what is the difference between the regular ticker, the ticker with U on the end, and the ticker with W on the end?

The regular is just common Stock. It's what you'll own after merger with a company to represent ownership interest in the company. Just like shares of AAPL.

The W is a warrant. The right to add cash (likely $11.50) to that warrant to purchase 1 common share that we just referenced above.

The U is a Unit, which represents 1 common share + 1 portion of a warrant. Most often it seems it is 1/4 a warrant. So always buy units in multiples of the warrant conversion (e.g., if it's 1/4 warrant, buy 20 shares. If it's 1/3 warrant, buy 21 shares).

Edited by Bob Sacamano
1/3 portion of wine
Link to post
Share on other sites

RE: PLTR

"The most important number on the report was the adjusted free cash flow, Monteforte said. The consensus estimate was for a loss of $28 million, but Palantir reported adjusted free cash flow of $151 million, he said, adding that the number was a 'massive beat.'"

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BassNBrew said:

By great day I meant the same as you.  A good day is only down 1%.

Most of my accounts ended down, but not as bad as the overall market

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I put OPEN on my watchlist. Another hated sold off SPAC. They put up good numbers in a sellers market. Seems like the model is even more compelling in a buyers market. Only in 16 metro markets currently so room to grow there. Still kind of skeptical of ibuying real estate, but I can see this concept working. User reviews are good. Seems like their game is smaller margins on sales and bundling services.

Guided $5.2B for 21. At the current share price, P/S is 2. Zillow is 5. A similar tech model like CVNA is also around 5. Intrigued.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, sort of glad and sad about UPST. Glad it’s popping since I do own some, but not happy with myself for only adding more on Monday and not again yesterday. I may see if it settles since it’s a negative day and after hours can sometimes be off. We’ll see but it’s already up to $113 in premarket. I guess I’m glad that I do think this could be a really good longer term investment. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, berndog said:

I’ve renamed IPOE to IPOO.   I just need to ignore it until later this summer. 

Been rough recently, but IPOE/SoFi is one poo I will not flush.  One of my largest non-ETF holdings and got in early so that's the only reason why I won't set any buy limits.  I'll let this puppy simmer in the heat through a few Summers if need be.  It's one of few non-ETFs I could see myself still holding 5-10 years from now. 

  

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Well, sort of glad and sad about UPST. Glad it’s popping since I do own some, but not happy with myself for only adding more on Monday and not again yesterday. I may see if it settles since it’s a negative day and after hours can sometimes be off. We’ll see but it’s already up to $113 in premarket. I guess I’m glad that I do think this could be a really good longer term investment. 

Opened at $103, which is why AH/premarket is always a grain of salt. Nice pop, but hopefully I can add more in the mid 90s. Depends on the rest of the market, just doesn’t feel like there’s an overall run upwards happening right now so I could see it drift down again.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/11/2021 at 9:00 AM, identikit said:

In with an extra $200

DPLS up over .02 today. 

 

It will bounce up and down like a trampoline and has already today, but it tends to do this. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BassNBrew said:

Anyone thinking F might see a bump after the F150 electric unveiling next week or has that been priced in.

I was thinking the same thing earlier today. I think I'm going to throw some at it and see.

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a bit off topic but might also be a sign of a bubble :lol:

My 21 daughter is a Junior in College and has never really been that into discussing the stock market much, but we just found out she has a Robinhood account.  Not sure if she added any money or what her goals are, I'll talk to her later today.

So the off topic part:  I know capital gains taxes are calculated separately from income, but I'm not sure if they are subject to the standard deduction.  She works part time and didn't make enough money to owe any taxes last year (no capital gains taxes last year, obviously).  But I'm wondering if she did have capital gains taxes last year if she would have owed those taxes even though her income wasn't high enough to pay any taxes.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Steeler said:

This is a bit off topic but might also be a sign of a bubble :lol:

My 21 daughter is a Junior in College and has never really been that into discussing the stock market much, but we just found out she has a Robinhood account.  Not sure if she added any money or what her goals are, I'll talk to her later today.

So the off topic part:  I know capital gains taxes are calculated separately from income, but I'm not sure if they are subject to the standard deduction.  She works part time and didn't make enough money to owe any taxes last year (no capital gains taxes last year, obviously).  But I'm wondering if she did have capital gains taxes last year if she would have owed those taxes even though her income wasn't high enough to pay any taxes.

My kids have stocks that realize capital gains and my CPA said they aren't taxable.  I'm not sure what the threshold is though. 

Glad I could help. 

  • Like 1
  • Laughing 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a few random tidbits here, but I suspect the pain in the market is going to continue for a bit.  I've been nibbling a bit here and there as I think financials are going to fare pretty decent.  I posted earlier I'm too dumb to pick individual winners in this sector, so instead opted for the XLF which is up ~45%. I added to that a bit, and also like Square, MasterCard and Visa.

I am probably on an island here, but I think the inflation estimates are severely overblown.  Are prices rising, sure.  But a lot of the commodity shortage issues are not really long term problems, rather, you are trying to jump start an economy from zero to 60 and it's not geared for that.  We are like a locomotive that is going from a stop up a large hill.  It's going to take some time to get up to speed, but it will happen. Lumber shortages aren't because we are short trees, rather we can jam them through the sawmills at 150% capacity to make up for backlogs.  Oil shortage is really just a disruption (and a pretty good opportunity to dip your toes into the likes of PANW).  Mining stocks will do okay as they need to get back up to running at full capacity.  Will there be inflation, sure, of course because we have artificially implanted wealth into the economy by keeping those money presses burning.    But, as we get back to full strength here, it will smooth, and so long as the fed keeps rates low, which I do expect them to for at least another year+, growth stocks will be fine, better than fine.  A lot of the hurt is coming from people taking profits here and rolling into other sectors, which is just smart.  You're up 250% in a stock, you trim.  But, long story short, there is still a #### ton of money on the sidelines waiting to be invested and if bonds are still next to nothing, cash is less than nothing, this money is going to get back into equities sooner rather than later.  I think you'd be best served buying high quality names that are 10-20% off highs rather than ####.  And I see QS touted here a lot.  I'm not going to bash it, but if you're buying that stock, you're buying hope.  If you believe in the dreams of the CEO, you buy.  But where there's smoke there's fire, and I kinda get the impression that he's making a lot of promises that that company can't keep.  That's the problem with a lot of SPACs as well.  There are too many out there looking for too many opportunities and overpay for good ones, or scoop up bad ones.  I bought two, because well, I love the thrill of moon shooting, but I am starting to get the feeling that these are not very good investments.  But, as stated up top, I'm a dummy :shrug:

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/30/2021 at 11:12 AM, Todem said:

DEO

@Todem- I bought this 4/18 with a Cost Basis of ~$175.  Currently up ~6%.  What is your thought here long term?  Do you have an exit point or just keep in rolling?  I think I like the industry, who doesnt like adult beverages?  Is there something specific about this company you like most?

:thumbup:

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

@Steeler She's fine unless she made over $40k in 2020.  Still, I'd make she she reported it. 

edit: Actually, that's Long Term rate.  Short term was 10% up to $9875, 12% to about $40k, then 22% to $85.5.

 

Edited by beef
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, beef said:

@Steeler She's fine unless she made over $53.6k in 2020.  Still, I'd make she she reported it.  Actually, thats Long Term rate.  ST would be different.

 

Short term is just counted as income. Definitely want to look and report it because the broker will likely be sending the info to the IRS. I had an issue with that last year for a small amount of stock my wife inherited where the broker sent it in with no cost basis (inherited is a step up, price on date of death). That said if she didn’t make a lot of income the tax rate is the lowest bracket.

  • Thanks 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, beef said:

@Steeler She's fine unless she made over $40k in 2020.  Still, I'd make she she reported it. 

edit: Actually, that's Long Term rate.  Short term was 10% up to $9875, 12% to about $40k, then 22% to $85.5.

 

Great info, thanks GB.

 

My "glad I could help" was 100% sarcasm @Steeler

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JAA said:

Good quote from the comments section:

Quote

I'm sure we'll see comments that BEVs are the better choice. But weight-limited long-haul trucking is one area where HFCVs can potentially compete even without a miraculous drop in hydrogen distribution costs. Trucks have a maximum loaded weight defined by law for various types of roads. One cannot simply increase this maximum safely. So a BEV truck would have to carry a larger fraction of its cargo mass as batteries to achieve long-haul range. So while batteries may be better from the $ / kW*hour they may not win in terms of $ / kg of cargo.

The economics may change if driverless long-haul trucks become common. Then the incremental cost of sending more trucks to carry the cargo may be less than the hydrogen premium. So these two companies are betting hydrogen infrastructure and government incentives will improve faster than autonomous trucking's market penetration.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a buddy try to dodge fees on the sale of an SIMPLE IRA and lie about transferring to a new account.  Tried to talk him out of it and warned he'd get busted.  After over a year, still nothing and he bragged how he got away with it.  Then he dodged reporting cap gains from a different brokerage/finance company.  Year goes by and nothing again.  Finally this past December he calls crying about this bill and penalty he got from the IRS for the IRA stuff.  And now his 2020 refund is on hold as they caught up with him on the gap gains. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, guru_007 said:

 But, long story short, there is still a #### ton of money on the sidelines waiting to be invested and if bonds are still next to nothing, cash is less than nothing, this money is going to get back into equities sooner rather than later.  

I agree with your post a lot. I do think there are two reasons this may not play out though.

Part one is that people may have a lot of pent up demand for sending on certain categories as (if) the economy/world opens up. The second is that we don't have a good sense for the flows going into the crypto space as a reach for yield.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, beef said:

I had a buddy try to dodge fees on the sale of an SIMPLE IRA and lie about transferring to a new account.  Tried to talk him out of it and warned he'd get busted.  After over a year, still nothing and he bragged how he got away with it.  Then he dodged reporting cap gains from a different brokerage/finance company.  Year goes by and nothing again.  Finally this past December he calls crying about this bill and penalty he got from the IRS for the IRA stuff.  And now his 2020 refund is on hold as they caught up with him on the gap gains. 

 

I’ve mentioned this before and did so as a friendly recommendation in the housing thread talking about what cost basis to use, but IRS penalties suck. I was lucky enough to be correct that I owed nothing but it was a shot to the balls when I opened up a tax bill for $25k (more) last year. $5k of it was penalties and interest, which was shockingly high considering the real interest rates today. Kind of like loan shark rates. Anyway, I was good because I didn’t really owe and I’m still waiting for them to send me the $500 they said I get back after all that (have no clue how they got there). Your friend is having fun because he may owe a significant amount of fees on top of the gains he tried to avoid.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, guru_007 said:

Just a few random tidbits here, but I suspect the pain in the market is going to continue for a bit.  I've been nibbling a bit here and there as I think financials are going to fare pretty decent.  I posted earlier I'm too dumb to pick individual winners in this sector, so instead opted for the XLF which is up ~45%. I added to that a bit, and also like Square, MasterCard and Visa.

I am probably on an island here, but I think the inflation estimates are severely overblown.  Are prices rising, sure.  But a lot of the commodity shortage issues are not really long term problems, rather, you are trying to jump start an economy from zero to 60 and it's not geared for that.  We are like a locomotive that is going from a stop up a large hill.  It's going to take some time to get up to speed, but it will happen. Lumber shortages aren't because we are short trees, rather we can jam them through the sawmills at 150% capacity to make up for backlogs.  Oil shortage is really just a disruption (and a pretty good opportunity to dip your toes into the likes of PANW).  Mining stocks will do okay as they need to get back up to running at full capacity.  Will there be inflation, sure, of course because we have artificially implanted wealth into the economy by keeping those money presses burning.    But, as we get back to full strength here, it will smooth, and so long as the fed keeps rates low, which I do expect them to for at least another year+, growth stocks will be fine, better than fine.  A lot of the hurt is coming from people taking profits here and rolling into other sectors, which is just smart.  You're up 250% in a stock, you trim.  But, long story short, there is still a #### ton of money on the sidelines waiting to be invested and if bonds are still next to nothing, cash is less than nothing, this money is going to get back into equities sooner rather than later.  I think you'd be best served buying high quality names that are 10-20% off highs rather than ####.  And I see QS touted here a lot.  I'm not going to bash it, but if you're buying that stock, you're buying hope.  If you believe in the dreams of the CEO, you buy.  But where there's smoke there's fire, and I kinda get the impression that he's making a lot of promises that that company can't keep.  That's the problem with a lot of SPACs as well.  There are too many out there looking for too many opportunities and overpay for good ones, or scoop up bad ones.  I bought two, because well, I love the thrill of moon shooting, but I am starting to get the feeling that these are not very good investments.  But, as stated up top, I'm a dummy :shrug:

I agree with you on some things like some stocks being beaten down into a nice buy range. Heck even solid earnings all around don’t amount to much. On QS though, I’m not sure why you think he’s promising something like a scam kind of like CYDY’s CEO or Nikola’s former CEO. QS just hit a milestone recently with Volkswagen where VW paid them I think $100M because their battery samples met the requirements for that set milestone. I know it’s definitely risky as heck, but I’d think meeting a VW a month or so ago milestone is a good thing. If you are referring to their SEC filing update, I think that’s purely CYA especially since they came from the SPAC space and the SEC has kind of cracked down on SPACs and what they report.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...