Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, eoMMan said:

Yeah, I really don't understand RIOT and MARA. I bought in the low 50s a few weeks back. Yikes.

At this point, I won't add more but will probably hang on for a long time.

You can add SI to this list too.

Up almost 14% today, with BTC solid in the red.

No rhyme or reason.

Edited by identikit
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 63.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • fantasycurse42

    3538

  • stbugs

    3455

  • BassNBrew

    3330

  • Capella

    2088

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Trying to time bottoms is very hard. If you believe in the company long term I feel this price is a very strong entry point long term. Set it and forget for a while. When it doubles....take your

I will make a wager. If this stock hits $420.69 before this earnings call on March 31st, I will pass out 100 FBG subscriptions to the gents in the stock thread.

sponks

7 minutes ago, identikit said:

You can add SI to this list too.

Up almost 14% today, with BTC solid in the red.

No rhyme or reason.

Umm, Facebook chose them to handle all of their Diem coin transactions and such. That was big news for SI.

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, stbugs said:

Umm, Facebook chose them to handle all of their Diem coin transactions and such. That was big news for SI.

I like that rhyme.

Thanks.

It's done the same as today in the past, with seemingly no news.  Lots of times.

Or maybe I missed it then too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, identikit said:

I like that rhyme.

Thanks.

It's done the same as today in the past, with seemingly no news.  Lots of times.

Or maybe I missed it then too.

I rhymed?

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, identikit said:

You can add SI to this list too.

Up almost 14% today, with BTC solid in the red.

No rhyme or reason.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just read a very interesting article on Cramer’s web site (rev shark dude) saying that he thought that maybe the ARK funds were driving a lot of the price drops recently, which might be a good call. He even brought up my darling UPST as crushing earnings and yet being below where it was before earnings and being an ARK holding. Wondering if the massive outflows are causing pressure because so much money had poured into them during the run up.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Just read a very interesting article on Cramer’s web site (rev shark dude) saying that he thought that maybe the ARK funds were driving a lot of the price drops recently, which might be a good call. He even brought up my darling UPST as crushing earnings and yet being below where it was before earnings and being an ARK holding. Wondering if the massive outflows are causing pressure because so much money had poured into them during the run up.

Not sure I'm understanding this correctly.  Was he saying the Ark funds are exiting those positions and that is causing the price drops?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, FreeBaGeL said:

Not sure I'm understanding this correctly.  Was he saying the Ark funds are exiting those positions and that is causing the price drops?

I think that when there’s a massive drop in ETF’s, they take the individual stocks with them. Happens every day, it’s why everything tends to move in tandem. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, McBokonon said:

I think that when there’s a massive drop in ETF’s, they take the individual stocks with them. Happens every day, it’s why everything tends to move in tandem. 

Yep, that was exactly what he was insinuating.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Revenge of the hedge funds. Just kept pressing their bets until they paid off. 

So basically the short bet is that the Fed is wrong or they know they're lying? I mean, Powell already said in April that's rate increases "highly unlikely" and the Vice Chair reiterated this week. Treasury yields went up .04%? European bond yields went above zero? That doesn't seem to telegraph doomsday inflation coming soon. I have a crap ton of bonds and the yield isn't getting me excited to buy more. Still not really excited to even hold.

I think the crash of growth was the perfect storm of purposeful stoking of inflation panic (which is really demand-pull inflation), slow buying time of the year and a historic run up in growth. 

Everything growthy being sold. Baby with the bathwater. A stock like OPEN has been obliterated, and is still being obliterated. If we're truly entering a period of high inflation, housing usually does well. Not to mention new home starts have to be mega expensive right now. But it's about future earnings? BNTX just saved the world and has been sold off too. Should earn a ridiculous $66 a share this year and close to $90 a share next year. So in some cases it isn't about earnings either.

Pandemic ended today in the US. Trillions of $ sloshing around. Not sure how much lower things go, but I gotta think these hedge fund jabronies will get burned at some point sooner than later. Dunno. Riding the coaster down and adding in small chunks in names I have conviction in. 

  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pecorino said:

Yes 

A bit more here. I like BABA long term especially now that it is near its 52-week low. I may buy some long term (think 1 year) in the money calls on Friday. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, pecorino said:

A bit more here. I like BABA long term especially now that it is near its 52-week low. I may buy some long term (think 1 year) in the money calls on Friday. 

Agree here. The multiple is is really low for a growth company like this with practically zero debt. A screaming buy for a long term investor at these levels. 

 

 

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, beef said:

I'm holding and DCA'd a little, but still down 43%.  Going to ride it out until earnings, 5/17.  If they miss, I'm fully prepared to to see this one go to the teens.  If they hit on earnings and it jumps, I'm GTFO!!! 

Who am I kidding.  We may see teens before earnings.  Single digits if it misses.  

Fingers crossed buddy. :suds:

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, FreeBaGeL said:
4 hours ago, stbugs said:

Just read a very interesting article on Cramer’s web site (rev shark dude) saying that he thought that maybe the ARK funds were driving a lot of the price drops recently, which might be a good call. He even brought up my darling UPST as crushing earnings and yet being below where it was before earnings and being an ARK holding. Wondering if the massive outflows are causing pressure because so much money had poured into them during the run up.

Not sure I'm understanding this correctly.  Was he saying the Ark funds are exiting those positions and that is causing the price drops?

I read it that outflows from the fund itself are causing the fund to reduce positions to make redemption. This, in turn, creates more selling pressure to the names in their fund.

This one of those things, like Softbank and r/wsb piling into long dated tech options last August, that makes sense in retrospect.

Unfortunately, inflow/outflow data like this is always lagged.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Todem said:
2 hours ago, pecorino said:

A bit more here. I like BABA long term especially now that it is near its 52-week low. I may buy some long term (think 1 year) in the money calls on Friday. 

Agree here. The multiple is is really low for a growth company like this with practically zero debt. A screaming buy for a long term investor at these levels. 

It does seem about that time on BABA....

Link to post
Share on other sites

I mean the end of stimmy monies was predictable.  There is so much money now in consumer hands, spending is crazy, everywhere you look houses are going for over list, you can't get a boat for a year out.  People are paying near list for used campers.  I see this as a buying opportunity.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, pecorino said:

A bit more here. I like BABA long term especially now that it is near its 52-week low. I may buy some long term (think 1 year) in the money calls on Friday. 

Thanks for mentioning BABA.  I took a quick look and agree that it is a solid opportunity.  I don't know enough about the downside risk to feel comfortable holding shares but I put in an order for a few Jun18 $230 calls at 1.65.

Edited by Caveman33
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Caveman33 said:

Thanks for mentioning BABA.  I took a quick look and agree that it is a solid opportunity.  I don't know enough about the downside risk to feel comfortable holding shares but I put in an order for a few Jun18 $230 calls at 1.65.

The only real downside risk is just general China nonsense - probably the only reason it’s so cheap. This thing looks ready to go for its next big leg up, too. I have a lot of it in my Emerging Markets fund in my 401k plus it’s in a general large cap fund. If I wasn’t already #### deep in SE I’d jump in, too.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I just don’t get it all. I should have bought more UPST yesterday but the ridiculous movements every day are crazy. I know I’m having a nice day but dear lord I couldn’t imagine being a day trader. Maybe this ideal for that but man it’s so damn volatile which makes it harder since I’ve been way busier lately. I don’t know how you guys do the trading every day.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/12/2021 at 4:14 PM, General Malaise said:

We open red again tomorrow, much agony will follow, woeful posts in here but by the time the east coast crowd starts eating Ramen for lunch because 3-Martini lunches are no longer in the budget, stocks will reverse course and finish green.  Friday will be a bigly up day and we'll all go into the weekend feeling like Judge Smails.  

Note to self: listen to this guy. He seems to :knowthings:

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, BroadwayG said:

Good to see all these 3-5% jumps in stocks I own. All it cost me was a 40-50% drop to get there.

Green Fridays are little consolation to getting kicked in the nuts M-Th.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Caveman33 said:

Thanks for mentioning BABA.  I took a quick look and agree that it is a solid opportunity.  I don't know enough about the downside risk to feel comfortable holding shares but I put in an order for a few Jun18 $230 calls at 1.65.

I like that play, the options seem cheap given where BABA was recently. I may tail you. However, I was thinking of a safer play with less potential reward, June 2022 calls with $160 strike price for roughly $60. I'm afraid that June 2021 is just too soon to see that kind of move, but if you get one explosive day, you could easily double-up, sell half your position and free roll the rest. Bold, and cheaply priced on a solid non-dividend paying name--my kind of speculation. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, BassNBrew said:
17 hours ago, stbugs said:

Yep, that was exactly what he was insinuating.

Why would he be insulating now that winter is over?

winter is coming

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, ericttspikes said:

Revenge of the hedge funds. Just kept pressing their bets until they paid off. 

So basically the short bet is that the Fed is wrong or they know they're lying? I mean, Powell already said in April that's rate increases "highly unlikely" and the Vice Chair reiterated this week. Treasury yields went up .04%? European bond yields went above zero? That doesn't seem to telegraph doomsday inflation coming soon. I have a crap ton of bonds and the yield isn't getting me excited to buy more. Still not really excited to even hold.

I think the crash of growth was the perfect storm of purposeful stoking of inflation panic (which is really demand-pull inflation), slow buying time of the year and a historic run up in growth. 

Everything growthy being sold. Baby with the bathwater. A stock like OPEN has been obliterated, and is still being obliterated. If we're truly entering a period of high inflation, housing usually does well. Not to mention new home starts have to be mega expensive right now. But it's about future earnings? BNTX just saved the world and has been sold off too. Should earn a ridiculous $66 a share this year and close to $90 a share next year. So in some cases it isn't about earnings either.

Pandemic ended today in the US. Trillions of $ sloshing around. Not sure how much lower things go, but I gotta think these hedge fund jabronies will get burned at some point sooner than later. Dunno. Riding the coaster down and adding in small chunks in names I have conviction in. 

If there is so much cash around, why wouldnt we see much more stock by-back?  Heck, why wouldnt some companies go private if they feel the market isnt treating them well?

I think the answer is everyone really knows they are still over valued, that the market is over valued.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, General Malaise said:

Not really.  I had yesterday pegged entirely wrong.  But, let's finish Friday green, yo!

IN MORE WAYS THAN ONE!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Laughing 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, General Malaise said:

I had yesterday pegged entirely wrong. 

IN MORE WAYS THAN ONE!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, General Malaise said:

Not liking this permanent ban for WetDream.

Right?!?

Talk to your buddy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JAA said:

If there is so much cash around, why wouldnt we see much more stock by-back?  Heck, why wouldnt some companies go private if they feel the market isnt treating them well?

I think the answer is everyone really knows they are still over valued, that the market is over valued.

You mean growthy tech stocks haven't been buying back shares? I thought stock buy backs were way down last year when the pandemic hit and started back up this year. 

Apple had a huge buyback in Q1. Darden, BAC, Johnson Controls, Ebay, Office Depot, Yum and Walmart recently announced buy backs. Doesn't mean things are or aren't over valued, but I'm pretty sure companies have resumed buying back shares this year. I thought I read that stock buy backs were up 30% this year over last year, but maybe not. Not really sure.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...