Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

46 minutes ago, Desert_Power said:

Yeah, the new company will look a lot more similar to VZ. Lower dividend, but shareholders will get shares of the spun-off company if I'm reading this right.             

Not sure what I will do here. Have NFLX and DIS as well. Feels like this Discover/Warner combination has a lot of content, some of which has not been managed particularly well.                                                                                                             

I'm up 10% on T plus another 3% in dividends.  Tempted to sell, but I'd just dump the money in some tech company that would fall further.

• Replies 63.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fantasycurse42

• stbugs

• BassNBrew

• Capella

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Trying to time bottoms is very hard. If you believe in the company long term I feel this price is a very strong entry point long term. Set it and forget for a while. When it doubles....take your

I will make a wager. If this stock hits $420.69 before this earnings call on March 31st, I will pass out 100 FBG subscriptions to the gents in the stock thread.

sponks

$SE reported. Down 2% on earnings miss, which isn’t bad considering how growth stocks have been hammered after earnings recently.

Revenue $1.76 billion, +147% Y/Y.          Gross Profit $645 million, +212% Y/Y.     Gross Margin 29% -> 37%
Ecommerce +250% Y/Y

And so on. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, McBokonon said:

$SE reported. Down 2% on earnings miss, which isn’t bad considering how growth stocks have been hammered after earnings recently.

Revenue $1.76 billion, +147% Y/Y.          Gross Profit $645 million, +212% Y/Y.     Gross Margin 29% -> 37%
Ecommerce +250% Y/Y

And so on. 

https://youtu.be/EOy1EoX5T0k

• Like 2
Posted (edited)

For those like me that own T

Sit tight. 

You will get 70% ownership in the new Discovery streaming/entertainment business and own your T as well.

The dividend cut in a year or so (hard to say exactly when it will happen but figure after the merger is completed and shares are issued to both companies shareholders) will probably  get the yield down to the 5% plus range. 

Plus you now have a spin off “growth company” if Discovery/Warner Bros/HBO grows as they project. 

I know a lot of people bought and own T for the dividend (I do too).....but they will die if they don’t make moves like this in terms of getting 43B to pay down more than 160B in debt (a very good thing) and now have a 70% stake in a growth component. So they are righting a wrong in terms of stretching themselves a little too thin back in 2018 but spinning off and combining assets with Discovery to form a bigger and better streaming vehicle. Will it work? Obviously that is the question. 

The stock will obviously drop (today it is already down 6% pre market) and may continue to drop from here. I would wait to add more if you are so inclined.....because 5% dividend stocks (now with a nice growth potential by getting the spinoff shares) are a decent business proposition. 

Of course my favorite ### clown Jim Kramer needs to really ham it up and be a man for the people (he is so full of #### it makes my stomach turn watching his antics) and chastise the move and pound the table and say “why don’t you come out and say we made a mistake and have to cut the didvidend” Look moron.....the stock is going down...the shareholders are speaking who want out.

My question to income shareholders is....where you gonna go in the same space? Well VZ (another stock I love as an income play) is sitting there at 12 times earnings and yielding 4%....so yeah you can go there and look for a better managed company. But I would say this.....I would not sell into this garbage. I own VZ already and feel I am good there.

So sit tight...keep collecting that healthy yield, get your spinoff shares and that is that. 

When things like this happen the best thing to do to take a step back...evaluate the entire deal, the why and the short term effects (which in this case is some selling) and the long term potential benefits to the stock holder. 

If you don’t believe in the spin off....then you now own a a future 5% yielder with more room to grow the business and they will have less debt. If you don’t believe in T.....well then join the fray and sell. 

I am sitting tight. This company has been through all kinds of deals, sales, the last 30 plus years. But the yield has always kept chugging along. And in time it will move higher again as they grow the dividend again over the next 5-7 years. 

Anyway thought I would chime in on this one. Not concerned about it....but would wait to deploy any additional capital into it and see how the stock behaves this week. See if the weak money pushes it lower and then go in and scoop up some more shares at a discount.

Edited by Todem
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 4
7 minutes ago, Todem said:

Sit tight. 

You will get 70% ownership in the new Discovery streaming/entertainment business and own your T as well.

The dividend cut in a year or so (hard to say exactly when it will happen but figure after the merger is completed and shares are issued to both companies shareholders) will probably  get the yield down to the 5% plus range. 

Plus you now have a spin off “growth company” if Discovery/Warner Bros/HBO grows as they project. 

I know a lot of people bought and own T for the dividend (I do too).....but they will die if they don’t make moves like this in terms of getting 43B to pay down more than 160B in debt (a very good thing) and now have a 70% stake in a growth component. So they are righting a wrong in terms of stretching themselves a little too thin back in 2018 but spinning off and combining assets with Discovery to form a bigger and better streaming vehicle. Will it work? Obviously that is the question. 

The stock will obviously drop (today it is already down 6% pre market) and may continue to drop from here. I would wait to add more if you are so inclined.....because 5% dividend stocks (now with a nice growth potential by getting the spinoff shares) are a decent business proposition. 

Of course my favorite ### clown Jim Kramer needs to really ham it up and be a man for the people (he is so full of #### it makes my stomach turn watching his antics) and chastise the move and pound the table and say “why don’t you come out and say we made a mistake and have to cut the didvidend” Look moron.....the stock is going down...the shareholders are speaking who want out.

My question to income shareholders is....where you gonna go in the same space? Well VZ (another stock I love as an income play) is sitting there at 12 times earnings and yielding 4%....so yeah you can go there and look for a better managed company. But I would say this.....I would not sell into this garbage. I own VZ already and feel I am good there.

So sit tight...keep collecting that healthy yield, get your spinoff shares and that is that. 

When things like this happen the best thing to do to take a step back...evaluate the entire deal, the why and the short term effects (which in this case is some selling) and the long term potential benefits to the stock holder. 

If you don’t believe in the spin off....then you now own a a future 5% yielder with more room to grow the business and they will have less debt. If you don’t believe in T.....well then join the fray and sell. 

I am sitting tight. This company has been through all kinds of deals, sales, the last 30 plus years. But the yield has always kept chugging along. And in time it will move higher again as they grow the dividend again over the next 5-7 years. 

Anyway thought I would chime in on this one. Not concerned about it....but would wait to deploy any additional capital into it and see how the stock behaves this week. See if the weak money pushes it lower and then go in and scoop up some more shares at a discount.

A good time to buy T if you don't own it?

1 hour ago, McBokonon said:

Ecommerce +250% Y/Y

And so on. 

Down a little over 6%. The 200 day is about $198. Might get there, might not. 

6 minutes ago, identikit said:

A good time to buy T if you don't own it?

If you do not own it....take at most 1/2 of your intended position today....and see tomorrow and the rest of the week if continued selling happens. It could easily go lower as people feed into it. 

• Thanks 1
21 minutes ago, Todem said:

Sit tight. 

I blame this all on @Desert_Power

• Laughing 4

It’s only a 12.8% holding for me. What’s a little more?

Those are rookie numbers. ;)

I'm around 5%, will push that up to 7% today

19 minutes ago, McBokonon said:

I waited too long, stupid work. Bought in the low $212

52 minutes ago, Todem said:

I'm at work doing a million things and can't find this information - when is the spinoff expected?  I guess the question is when do you have to own shares of AT&T in order to get the spinoff shares?

• Thinking 1
2 minutes ago, Steeler said:

I'm at work doing a million things and can't find this information - when is the spinoff expected?  I guess the question is when do you have to own shares of AT&T in order to get the spinoff shares?

It will take a year to finish this merger most likely.....will update as I get more information from T themselves.

• Thanks 2

Good day for growth Friday. Yesterday started out red and in recent months, was the kind of day where losses tended to accelerate but this time it didn’t. Today - so far so good. 

AXON getting pummeled though and I haven’t seen why, yet, assuming there’s any reason at all.

Now up 2% :)

8 minutes ago, McBokonon said:

I think it went from 6% to green as I got coffee

SE always get pummelled early after earning and then bounces big once people realize how much ### they are kicking.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Posted (edited)

ONTX ripping the last 2 days.  I'm almost back to even!!! 

ETA

Guggenheim Initiates Coverage On Onconova Therapeutics with Buy Rating, Announces Price Target of $4

6:32 am ET May 18, 2021 (Benzinga) Print

Guggenheim analyst Etzer Darout initiates coverage on Onconova Therapeutics (NASDAQ:ONTX) with a Buy rating and announces Price Target of $4

Edited by 2Squirrels1Nut
44 minutes ago, McBokonon said:

I think it went from 6% to green as I got coffee

Starting to feel like tech/growth may have bottomed. I’m sure there will be some more bouncing around but it seems to have stabilized a bit after the rout last week before Friday. Might be worth finishing my rebalancing on any dip.

• Thanks 1
17 hours ago, kevzilla said:

Cramer thinks the dividend will be cut in half. A lot of current shareholders are there for the dividend. 

Never trusted that company.  Always seemed to be all downside - you get the dividend and a lot of downside risk without the upside.  Now that the divvy is being cut I'm not surprised at the large haircut.

33 minutes ago, Capella said:

https://twitter.com/2k21m1/status/1394676794771623937?s=21

according to this guy, HGEN institutional ownership up to 40% from 23% last week. 🤞 

35 minutes ago, Capella said:

https://twitter.com/2k21m1/status/1394676794771623937?s=21

according to this guy, HGEN institutional ownership up to 40% from 23% last week. 🤞 

He claims institutions added 11 million shares.  10 day average volume is 1.4 million.  1.4 x 5 = 7 million.  Pretty much only institutions bought last week with no retail purchases for this to even be remotely true.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, stbugs said:

Starting to feel like tech/growth may have bottomed. I’m sure there will be some more bouncing around but it seems to have stabilized a bit after the rout last week before Friday. Might be worth finishing my rebalancing on any dip.

Volumes are mostly crazy low.

10 minutes ago, BassNBrew said:

He claims institutions added 11 million shares.  10 day average volume is 1.4 million.  1.4 x 5 = 7 million.  Pretty much only institutions bought last week with no retail purchases for this to even be remotely true.

I didn’t trust those numbers when they were shopped around for GME. When the institution change is higher than the daily volume you should be suspicious. With GME the listing had Fidelity listed two times. It’s like the Bitcoin thread where there’s some conjecture about whales and institutions taking advantage of retail investors flocking out of BTC. It’s dangerously close to conspiracy theories about the government controlling our lives, as if they’ve even remotely got their act together enough to do that.

• Laughing 2
1 hour ago, Sand said:

Never trusted that company.  Always seemed to be all downside - you get the dividend and a lot of downside risk without the upside.  Now that the divvy is being cut I'm not surprised at the large haircut.

I hear you on this one.

Only angle that I might like is buying T at some point before the spinoff. 

That way you'll get some growthy stock out out of it.

Like Todem alluded to earlier.

54 minutes ago, BassNBrew said:

He’s not claiming anything. it’s right there on the nasdaq holdings page. 

https://www.nasdaq.com/market-activity/stocks/hgen/institutional-holdings

7 minutes ago, Capella said:

I could be wrong, but I thinking that data is from March 31.  All the specifics refer to end of quarter stats.  Pretty sure the 40% number is as of March 31 too.  While the bulk of the new positions were March 3`, there are a number of holders that acquired in earlier quarters and didn't add.  I also don't understand if increased position shares = total shares currently held or shares added in the last quarter.  

I'm seeing 13mm share held by institutions at the end of 2020 and likely 23.6mm held on March 31.

52 minutes ago, Capella said:

I don’t think those are always correct. Again, on the GME page there were duplicate listings for Fidelity and then another pie chart that actually said something different. I posted in here about it because it can be misleading and out of date/wrong.

That said, I’m not a day trader anyway so fundamentals matter more to me. If a stock is doing well lots of people will want to own it.

T is cutting their dividend payout from 60% to the low 40% range. What does that mean? Basically the dividend yield at it’s current price today is 7%

Knock 20% off that to be conservative. So figure a 5.5% yield post spinoff, less debt, and a potential growth stock spinoff for shareholders. 

Yeah I like the stock at these levels going long long long. I have owned this stock over 30 years....that compounding dividend has been a monster. 

Is this a screaming buy? No. But for those seeking current income for the long term in a pretty stable communications business that looks like they are shedding some debt....I would be a buyer. 

It is a boring story......boring is good.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, Todem said:

T is cutting their dividend payout from 60% to the low 40% range. What does that mean? Basically the dividend yield at it’s current price today is 7%

Knock 20% off that to be conservative. So figure a 5.5% yield post spinoff, less debt, and a potential growth stock spinoff for shareholders. 

Yeah I like the stock at these levels going long long long. I have owned this stock over 30 years....that compounding dividend has been a monster. 

Is this a screaming buy? No. But for those seeking current income for the long term in a pretty stable communications business that looks like they are shedding some debt....I would be a buyer. 

It is a boring story......boring is good.

Thanks.

As a new stock guy this past year, I've added a few from your master list:

EXC: up 8.79% since I bought it

MDU: up 17.62% since I bought it

PFE: up 15.68% since I bought it

GCV: I'm even on this one so far but just got into it recently

Looking to add more from your master list as I shed some of the riskier stuff I'm in. Speaking for myself I really appreciate everything you bring to this thread and my portfolio specifically. 

:thumbup:

Edited by ChiefD
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Posted (edited)

I am also very appreciative of Todem. I think T's smaller payout ratio will also be on a smaller free cash flow, so the dividend will be more like 3.5%. Doesn't make it un-investable, but I'll sit on my hands a while longer.

Edited by kevzilla
Clarity

HGEN- approval looks very good (likely?) and a distribution deal was signed yesterday. So naturally it’s red today.  :wall:

• Sad 2
11 minutes ago, dkp993 said:

HGEN- approval looks very good (likely?) and a distribution deal was signed yesterday. So naturally it’s red today.  :wall:

I got whiplash watching HGEN's price today.

Managed to sell a little near its peak, but now wish I'd sold more.

Just now, nysfl2 said:

I got whiplash watching HGEN's price today.

Managed to sell a little near its peak, but now wish I'd sold more.

For sure.  I’m confidently long but the short term still makes no sense.  Why the big money hasn’t gotten behind this yet is baffling.  

15 minutes ago, urbanhack said:

If we get 3 more days like this I think I can log in on Friday and check my account.  

Tuesday is the new Monday.

I likely would have been up close to 3% today if I wasn't dragged around that Bezos anchor.  7 positions were up basically double digit percentage or better.

MindMed is getting some good PR on CNBC the news with Shepard Smith right now

There is a lot of buzz about psychadelic therapeutics right now in legit news sources, feels like we should be in another wave of accumulation soon

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Dwayne Hoover said:

MindMed is getting some good PR on CNBC the news with Shepard Smith right now

There is a lot of buzz about psychadelic therapeutics right now in legit news sources, feels like we should be in another wave of accumulation soon

26 minutes ago, David Dodds said:

Last call on the meme rocket ship. Blue Horseshoe says the adventure begins on May 21st.

Every time I think I’m out they pull me back in!!*

*says the guy who got crushed on both of these before.  

Edited by dkp993
19 minutes ago, David Dodds said:

Last call on the meme rocket ship. Blue Horseshoe says the adventure begins on May 21st.

Ugh I don’t know if I want to again. Who is blue horseshoe 

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, David Dodds said:

Been hodling through the quiet days/months, and the excitement this week has been palpable. 

Edited by JB Breakfast Club
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, Capella said:

Ugh I don’t know if I want to again. Who is blue horseshoe 

Never saw Wall Street I’m guessing.