Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Stock Thread

On 7/20/2021 at 2:26 PM, Bob Sacamano said:

I :wub: SIVB, BTW. Used to be a shareholder and basically stalked their HR dept. for a while 

$SIVB reported after the close - consensus EPS estimate was $6.50 and they reported $9.09. Revenue estimate was $1.1 Billion and they reported $1.49 Billion. Can't really see a reaction AH because it doesn't appear to be really trading but me likey.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, McBokonon said:

$SIVB reported after the close - consensus EPS estimate was $6.50 and they reported $9.09. Revenue estimate was $1.1 Billion and they reported $1.49 Billion. Can't really see a reaction AH because it doesn't appear to be really trading but me likey.

https://www.google.com/finance/quote/SIVB:NASDAQ

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, identikit said:

Sounds like i should have dug deeper than not even digging at all.

thanks gb

Gcv - I’m up 31% since the todem recommendation, plus 4 quarters of 7-8% dividend reinvestment., so basically up almost 40%.  They can have the 3% expense fee.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Dwayne Hoover said:

Apparently the rest of the world hasn't seen the CSS yet of the HGEN EUA site

Companies and agencies get prepared for things, even if they don’t know the end results. It’s like you mentioned with those codes for LL. It sure didn’t mean approval. HGEN is it’s own thing but they awful obviously be moving ahead with things in anticipation, especially a web site which isn’t much of an investment especially if they’ve got internal folks already on salary.

1 minute ago, stbugs said:

Companies and agencies get prepared for things, even if they don’t know the end results. It’s like you mentioned with those codes for LL. It sure didn’t mean approval. HGEN is it’s own thing but they awful obviously be moving ahead with things in anticipation, especially a web site which isn’t much of an investment especially if they’ve got internal folks already on salary.

Completely agree.  If it happens, they are going to want to be ready, nothing more

By the way, Chinese stocks getting hammered. I knew I should have dumped API when it went on that ridiculous run up. BILI has been great to me and it sucks when it’s only gotten hit due to that freaking government.

Just now, Dwayne Hoover said:

Completely agree.  If it happens, they are going to want to be ready, nothing more

Yep.

Also, damn there are times I hate the iPhone’s auto correct. How did “are” become “awful” and why every time I hit the backspace does it automatically want to capitalize the word that wasn’t capitalized before?

25 minutes ago, Dwayne Hoover said:

If it was, it didn't hold very well.  

I don’t think anybody would be expecting a 30% pop off a website to hold very well. Once again, results are all that matters. This is all just noise. 

2 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Yep.

Also, damn there are times I hate the iPhone’s auto correct. How did “are” become “awful” and why every time I hit the backspace does it automatically want to capitalize the word that wasn’t capitalized before?

Haha, the capitlization thing was just getting to me an hour ago.  I was literally thinking the exact same thing, its really annoying to keep auto correcting to a capital letter

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, metoo said:

DLR

Everything can't be a 10X. That basic betty will make you money. Long game.

98 PE kinda scares me. 

8 minutes ago, -OZ- said:

Speaking of PE; I hadn't looked before but is there a good reason FLGT's is under 6?

They made/make a bonkers amount of money with COVID tests and the market apparently thinks they’ll shrivel up and die as soon as we have no COVID which apparently will be tomorrow.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, JB Breakfast Club said:

SAM (Boston Brewing) is getting smashed today because Truly Seltzer underperformed. That stuff is everywhere locally (Minneapolis). Overreaction/buying opportunity? Anyone have a preferred beer stock? 

Mmmmmmmm… beer stock….

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, JB Breakfast Club said:

SAM (Boston Brewing) is getting smashed today because Truly Seltzer underperformed. That stuff is everywhere locally (Minneapolis). Overreaction/buying opportunity? Anyone have a preferred beer stock? 

Stock is getting smashed because the miss on earnings was massive.  Huge red flag, imho.  I'd say probably close to 90-95% of stocks that have announced earnings have at least beaten, if not crushed estimates.  The 1st and 2nd quarters were basically layups here.  Intel for instance would be a better buying opportunity as they simply didn't guide up enough going forward.

I don't really like any beer stocks at present, but Constellation certainly offers some appealing growth opportunities.  I own a little BUD at it's been a pretty disappointing ride, but I'm not selling either.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bought and sold SAM, made a little less than $2/share in about ten minutes 🤷‍♂️ 

Definitely wasn't going to be a long term hold but it could be a value here

2 hours ago, stbugs said:

By the way, Chinese stocks getting hammered. I knew I should have dumped API when it went on that ridiculous run up. BILI has been great to me and it sucks when it’s only gotten hit due to that freaking government.

Bought a couple more BABA

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JB Breakfast Club said:

This was another Motley recommendation yesterday or earlier this week. 

Another question:

I haver sold some long-term shares of a stock a few times this year. I was under the impression that I am taxed at 15% on these, but am still learning tax implications. 

Are there both state and federal taxes? Does income matter when taxed on capital gains?

I am trying to understand if there is a strict 15% hit on long-term capital gains regardless of state/income or if there is a calculation involved.

Thank you!

6 hours ago, cubd8 said:

Another question:

I haver sold some long-term shares of a stock a few times this year. I was under the impression that I am taxed at 15% on these, but am still learning tax implications. 

Are there both state and federal taxes? Does income matter when taxed on capital gains?

I am trying to understand if there is a strict 15% hit on long-term capital gains regardless of state/income or if there is a calculation involved.

Thank you!

I am assuming this isn’t in a retirement account. It’s 0%, 15% or 20% depending on your income level and there’s also a little over 2% security sales tax that I think is levied regardless of income. There is still also a chance that it gets taxed at your income tax rate based on a Biden proposal if you make more than $1 million. That was proposed in his plans and was discussed but no idea how close it is to happening and if that income level could magically change.

State taxes on capital gains vary by state so I have no idea where you are and what those state rules are. If you live in a high tax state like CA or NY, it’s a good assumption you’ve got a state capital gains tax.

3 hours ago, 2Squirrels1Nut said:

BTC almost at 34k

Love us some riot baby

I didnt do stock this time, I did a $29.50 Call expiring 8/20. about 7k worth :hifive:

Edited by KGB
  • Love 1

On 7/23/2021 at 4:09 PM, cubd8 said:

Anyone with any interest in this SPAC?

XPDI (currently trading at 9.95)

Looking at this one a bit closer, but if anyone knows of any others in this area....all ears.

It seems like most of us have basically abandoned SPACs. At a minimum, I’m waiting for post- SPAC merger and maybe 2-3 quarters of earnings before considering any since they’ve been fast and loose with their numbers. Short term trading is a different story but I’m not interested, personally.

On 7/24/2021 at 12:25 PM, stbugs said:

there’s also a little over 2% security sales tax that I think is levied regardless of income.

Is this a state tax?  Never heard of this.

Also, for the OP, if you have enough income there is also the NIIT tax.

48 minutes ago, Sand said:

Is this a state tax?  Never heard of this.

Also, for the OP, if you have enough income there is also the NIIT tax.

Sorry, “sales” was either an autocorrect or a typo. I meant the NIIT, but that does have income thresholds. That said most states do have investment taxes, mainly capital gains on top of Federal.

• Like 1

LESL  -  I'm in this industry.

Something to think about...  The stores im going into have empty shelves.  The main distributors for pool companies are out of stock in alot of things.  Pool service companies are going to leslies to buy supplies, most for the first time.

I'm hopping in tomorrow.

Current price LESL - $24.65

Leslies is for residential customers mostly.  

https://www.marketwatch.com/investing/stock/pool is for commercial.  I think they also blow it out

Edited by KGB
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, 2Squirrels1Nut said:

"Stay up! Stay up! Just a little bit longer! Come on baby!" 

Sounds like me in the bedroom.

RIOT

BTC - 34700

ETH - 2177

"we" "usually" get out at 34K.  Are you selling tomorrow?  I'm thinking of holding a bit, but options are crazy, if it hops up, I may get out.

• Laughing 1