What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (15 Viewers)

Back aboard the MMTLP train tomorrow. Expecting a wild ride. I've never heard of trading the rights to a dividend as it is in the middle of being valued, but whatever...seems like fun. 
What be this?

---

In other news - SOFI :wub:

Decision to buy more warrants on the temporary softness in this and IONQ is looking pretty good today.  On the other hand, my GLBE investment was timed... poorly.  At least so far.

What be this?

---

In other news - SOFI :wub:

Decision to buy more warrants on the temporary softness in this and IONQ is looking pretty good today.  On the other hand, my GLBE investment was timed... poorly.  At least so far.
They might be under pressure until 11/8 or so when lockup expires. I’ve been waiting for that before I decide to add more, but my cost basis is low enough I’m not sweating the swings.

They might be under pressure until 11/8 or so when lockup expires. I’ve been waiting for that before I decide to add more, but my cost basis is low enough I’m not sweating the swings.
My cost basis for SOFI is about 9.50, so I'm just holding for a long term 10 bagger or so.

I haven't posted in a minute.

Sold MRNA except for 1/2 a share. I still love her but I want her in the 200s.

Added to:  PYPL, SQ, DLT

Bought :APPH,  SVAL, HYFM, GENI(recommended here)

Last week I grabbed some DEC 17th SPY Puts at 445 on a whim. Currently up 20% already.

Considering holding because I do think we'll see a pullback but also know it takes one ill-conceived move by the Fed and I'll be in freefall. Leaning hold for now since I have a lot of runway. 

Doing some research into commodities mutual funds, specifically looking for an option or two that have little-to-no precious metals exposure.  Anybody have any they like?

I guess people sold everything on Monday?

JPM had decent earnings although it wasn’t what I’d consider amazing based on the stock’s nice rally. Revenue was up 2% from the year before beating analysts expectations for 0 growth and the beat on earnings equated to money they were able to release from whatever that reserves condition is. Stock’s up 20% YTD so not crazy but seems like their real business and not moving money out of reserves is almost flat.

I’ve wondered about this but when do the upstart Fintech’s start biting into big banks or are they always going to hanging around because they’ll own the actual loans instead of originate them and they’ll always do the merger stuff. I guess wealth management would be the big thing as more boomers pass on their inheritance to younger folks who might be using Fintechs instead of keeping a JPM wealth account.

I guess people sold everything on Monday?

JPM had decent earnings although it wasn’t what I’d consider amazing based on the stock’s nice rally. Revenue was up 2% from the year before beating analysts expectations for 0 growth and the beat on earnings equated to money they were able to release from whatever that reserves condition is. Stock’s up 20% YTD so not crazy but seems like their real business and not moving money out of reserves is almost flat.

I’ve wondered about this but when do the upstart Fintech’s start biting into big banks or are they always going to hanging around because they’ll own the actual loans instead of originate them and they’ll always do the merger stuff. I guess wealth management would be the big thing as more boomers pass on their inheritance to younger folks who might be using Fintechs instead of keeping a JPM wealth account.

My BIL is a wealth guy at JPM.  I have no idea who their core client is.  He seems to have a ton, it would never in a billion years occur to me to work with JPM for wealth stuff.  So they are at least doing fine now without people like me, I wonder if it's people who land a #### ton of money in their checking account from a dead ma and then get hit up by people like him to move into a wrap structure.

Last edited by a moderator:
My BIL is a wealth guy at JPM.  I have no idea who their core client is.  He seems to have a ton, it would never in a billion years occur to me to work with JPM for wealth stuff.  So they are at least doing fine now without people like me, I wonder if it's people who land a #### ton of money in their checking account from a dead ma and then get hit up by people like him to move into a wrap structure.
I saw an article on Kiplinger's that younger people are moving more toward Financial/wealth advisors, which surprised me.  Of course most of them won't have the AUM to interest the big boys for awhile, so maybe smaller firms reel them in younger and keep them as their assets grow. 

I saw an article on Kiplinger's that younger people are moving more toward Financial/wealth advisors, which surprised me.  Of course most of them won't have the AUM to interest the big boys for awhile, so maybe smaller firms reel them in younger and keep them as their assets grow. 

Yeah...damn young people just want to drink and screw and are missing out on all the fun of the FFA and managing their investments.

Starting a position in SOXL, 3x Semiconductor Bull.  It's down in the 37's, hit 49's a few times last month.      

Been holding this since July (down about 7%)

Augmenting my chip plays.

Thinking that playing this like BNKU would be smarter.

Thanks, Beef

I wonder what the % of assets of 401k vs. brokerage accounts is.  I mean I would expect most people <30 have the overwhelming majority of their assets in retirement stuff.  What is the incentive of these people to onboard people in this situation?

Thanks, Beef
I’ve got a bunch of semi’s from my foray into 5G recs and even didn’t buy more like ASML so I haven’t added any and don’t plan too yet.

I’d think they’d be losing some but keeping some. My FIL used RBC’s wealth management and although it wasn’t much and was split among his 3 daughters, he was the big demographic IMHO of these big wealth firms. We moved everything to Fidelity to go along with all of our accounts.

I’d think a lot of that massive wealth transfer will move out because right now that’s where it all is and there really weren’t many alternatives. People like me already in Fidelity/Schwab/etc. aren’t likely to get that money and not move it and young people are already in other Fintechs.

I’ve got a bunch of semi’s from my foray into 5G recs and even didn’t buy more like ASML so I haven’t added any and don’t plan too yet.

Besides SOXL, I have some INTC, NVDA, XLNX

The usual suspects

Thanks, Beef
That's my plan.  Add at these under 40 levels, trim on the way and get out around 50.  +/- a point or 2 depending on how momentum/overreaction is looking.  I have enough semi stocks in various ETFs in my Roth so I have no desire to hold this any longer than I need to make 20-30%.   

I’d think they’d be losing some but keeping some. My FIL used RBC’s wealth management and although it wasn’t much and was split among his 3 daughters, he was the big demographic IMHO of these big wealth firms. We moved everything to Fidelity to go along with all of our accounts.

I’d think a lot of that massive wealth transfer will move out because right now that’s where it all is and there really weren’t many alternatives. People like me already in Fidelity/Schwab/etc. aren’t likely to get that money and not move it and young people are already in other Fintechs.

What do Fintechs really do for us here?  Aren't most fintech firms more or less ways to avoid carrying cash and ways to pay your hooker without a paper trail?

I just don't see any particular fintech as a place to deposit 500k in random stonks my grandma gave me when she died of horse dewormer.  

I survived the great growth stock pullback of a couple weeks ago
I really need to just finish my sells and buys and put my Fidelity app down and relax. I always forget that as of now changes in our existing stocks have way more impact than if I bought DOCN at $70 or $80. It’s fun to watch day to day but it’s more important to identify the stocks we want to move forward with and just do it. There will be more additions/sells but I need to stop doing the short time stuff because I don’t KGB it and jump in with enough to really impact my retirement plan. Maybe when retired create a more play account for fun.

Also, if you make a T-shirt, put me down for one.

I wonder what the % of assets of 401k vs. brokerage accounts is.  I mean I would expect most people <30 have the overwhelming majority of their assets in retirement stuff.  What is the incentive of these people to onboard people in this situation?
Right. Seems like a waste of resources to a degree. But maybe that relationship is worth it for a smaller firm? Maybe the younger folks ask a lot fewer questions until they get into their 40s so it's worth collecting a wrap fee on a small AUM for little extra work?

What do Fintechs really do for us here?  Aren't most fintech firms more or less ways to avoid carrying cash and ways to pay your hooker without a paper trail?

I just don't see any particular fintech as a place to deposit 500k in random stonks my grandma gave me when she died of horse dewormer.  
Not sure you are following the top Fintechs but many of them are setting up banks, stock trading, etc. SOFI is one that comes to mind that I think already has a banking license and has talked about being a one stop shop. Square is another. Robinhood is obviously looking to expand from just brokerage stuff. Lots of stuff on loans as well. I think very soon there will be a lot of Fintechs (including Schwab - see their automated planning ads on TV) that can provide that full service and have a lot of it automated.

Not sure you are following the top Fintechs but many of them are setting up banks, stock trading, etc. SOFI is one that comes to mind that I think already has a banking license and has talked about being a one stop shop. Square is another. Robinhood is obviously looking to expand from just brokerage stuff. Lots of stuff on loans as well. I think very soon there will be a lot of Fintechs (including Schwab - see their automated planning ads on TV) that can provide that full service and have a lot of it automated.

Do we really think of SOFI and Schwab as fintech now?  I suppose I need to update my definitions.  I think of SOFI as a loan shark with an app and less crowbars to knee caps, and Schwab as a major brokerage.  

Do we really think of SOFI and Schwab as fintech now?  I suppose I need to update my definitions.  I think of SOFI as a loan shark with an app and less crowbars to knee caps, and Schwab as a major brokerage.  
Lol. It’s a really broad term but SOFI definitely is a Fintech. Schwab is a major brokerage, but their AI wealth management tools are absolutely a competitor to wealth advisors. JPM had about $30B in quarterly revenue and $12B+ is consumer banking and it was the only segment that I saw that was down. That’s the segment with growing competition.

I really need to just finish my sells and buys and put my Fidelity app down and relax. I always forget that as of now changes in our existing stocks have way more impact than if I bought DOCN at $70 or $80. It’s fun to watch day to day but it’s more important to identify the stocks we want to move forward with and just do it. There will be more additions/sells but I need to stop doing the short time stuff because I don’t KGB it and jump in with enough to really impact my retirement plan. Maybe when retired create a more play account for fun.

Also, if you make a T-shirt, put me down for one.

This is my biggest weakness as well.  I try and average into stocks slowly and wait for pullbacks to buy on and then it breaks out and goes on a huge run and I only have like 30% of the position I wanted.  This has happened over and over again the last year.

Of course on the rare occasion that I actually do KGB it and just buy it all at once I can count on a painful 50% pullback.  I'm looking at you CRSP/BLDP/SOFI.

This is my biggest weakness as well.  I try and average into stocks slowly and wait for pullbacks to buy on and then it breaks out and goes on a huge run and I only have like 30% of the position I wanted.  This has happened over and over again the last year.

Of course on the rare occasion that I actually do KGB it and just buy it all at once I can count on a painful 50% pullback.  I'm looking at you CRSP/BLDP/SOFI.
Lol on the last sentence. KALA still staring me in the face. When I asked in here what anyone thought about selling, I should have just sold.

I’m kind of hit or miss on buying early. It worked great for all my initial buys and it worked well back in February/March although ETSY, DDOG and SHOP would be large holdings had I gone in big.

My post above was more about finally shedding the little buys that aren’t top recs anymore or never were and just finishing positions/leaving cash for other new recs/big dips.

Do you follow the Uranium stuff at Reddit?  I am such a Reddit n00b that I tend to just avoid it, but there's some interesting posts about uranium and related equities.  Buying has resumed from investors and the spot price is going to lift up the equities if it continues higher.  Of course, we just saw what happens when the spot price hits an air pocket, but for a commodity that was down in the dumps for 10 years, this is fascinating stuff to me.

Users who are viewing this thread