What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (13 Viewers)

This seems quicker than you originally intended to start buying.  Did you see something that makes you feel like it's time to start adding back in, or is this just a small nibble on the cash you pulled out last month?
Just a nibble on stocks that have been beaten down far more than the index’s. I have wanted to start positions in CRM, ADSK and FB (for the third time with this one as we 5 bagged this already). 

V and MA were near one year lows. 

Nibbles though. 

When I deploy sometimes the value is so loud compared to the broader markets. Picking stocks is not about the index corrections but the stocks themselves. But I nibbled. 

For example.....I want a total 3% position in CRM.

We only bought 1% of it. 

Because I do expect a broad market correction at some point.....and everything goes down and we can add more when we see/if event. 

My confidence level in a 10-12% selloff is quite high as you know heading into 2022. Long term....bullish. And I actually expect 2022 to be a positive year.....but getting from point A to point B will be a far more bumpy ride in 2022. Lot's of headwinds coming from all directions. 

Last edited by a moderator:
If it's more infectious and less fatal, the virus might actually be doing us a favor. More sick and less dead might be the way out.

Yeah I was going to say this, but was worried about bringing virus talk in here.  There was someone on NPR the other day saying that one mutation tends to dominate, so Omnicron being more contagious and less lethal could actually do us a favor in wiping out Delta, while leaving us with something that is non-lethal enough we can live with it day to day with a reasonable sense of normalcy.

If it's more infectious and less fatal, the virus might actually be doing us a favor. More sick and less dead might be the way out.
yes, i've read this from several sources.  but, this being the stock thread, there will be panic and froth, so , opportunity.

Yep. Just read that over the last 30 days, around 95% of the stocks in the S&P are down 25% or more while the index itself is only down 4%. So, some people might be waiting for the handful of stocks that are propping the index up (AAPL, etc) to collapse because they assume they will drag the other 95% of the stocks with them. That could happen. Or not. I’m still planning on scaling in my 15% cash soon but it’ll be slow. If the indexes themselves collapse I’ll increase my 401k contribution which is the only move I ever really make in there since they’re just funds.

This can't be right.  Is this some stat like 25% off ATH or something?  

Yeesh ASAN and DOCU.  There really is no leeway in earnings right now.  You blow away even the most insane expectations, or you die.

Yeesh ASAN and DOCU.  There really is no leeway in earnings right now.  You blow away even the most insane expectations, or you die.
@Bob Sacamano You ok bud?

Might have to nibble some now. ESTC was another one that beat earnings and revenue and got clobbered. I’ve watched that one for a while. Both seem reasonably priced now. ASAN as well. May check after hours. Might dump my AI loser for DOCU which is down more. 

MRVL looking real nice after hours. I may have to keep it for a while. Had a bunch of IPHI which did great and got bought and now MRVL is up 75% in the year I’ve had it. Blind squirrel. These acquisitions have been nice. I wish that AMD/XLNX #### would get done but that’s gone up more since the acquisition than it was after the pop from the announcement.

Yeah I was going to say this, but was worried about bringing virus talk in here.  There was someone on NPR the other day saying that one mutation tends to dominate, so Omnicron being more contagious and less lethal could actually do us a favor in wiping out Delta, while leaving us with something that is non-lethal enough we can live with it day to day with a reasonable sense of normalcy.
Interesting info I hadn't heard before. Thank you! 

Yikes. I guess I’ll be a DOCU owner soon. Haven’t started MELI yet but I did buy back into $SHOP but only about a quarter position. 

Shoulda waited till this morning
I think it’s going to keep trending down. I’m still sitting and waiting. I don’t feel like we are done in growth. Problem is that we’ve been talking about value for a while as well and those stocks seem a bit overdone as well. I saw an article talking about a bank and saying that it’s PE ratio was low compared to other things. When you see justification of high prices because it’s not as expensive as the expensive stuff it gives you pause.

Damn, MRVL up over 20% premarket. Lucked into that one, been a great run, wish all of the IPHI acquisition was stock. I think it was 40% cash, 60% stock.

@BassNBrew I think you bought some of IPHI as well or maybe @McBokonon . Did either of you have it and keep MRVL?

Damn, MRVL up over 20% premarket. Lucked into that one, been a great run, wish all of the IPHI acquisition was stock. I think it was 40% cash, 60% stock.

@BassNBrew I think you bought some of IPHI as well or maybe @McBokonon . Did either of you have it and keep MRVL?
I had IPHI but ultimately sold it after the merger was announced. I’d have to see what I ended up buying with the funds. Great run, though!

I had IPHI but ultimately sold it after the merger was announced. I’d have to see what I ended up buying with the funds. Great run, though!

yup. It’s been marvelous 
It has been with today getting close to a double since the merger closed (even more since announcing) which isn’t even a year. I can’t recall how many times I thought about selling and it’s been one of my bests for 2021. I still don’t really know what they do. I’ll have to look a bit and see if it’s an even longer term hold.

care to explain?  They dropped guidance by 5%
I think it’s over done and they are nicely valued now but with some of these growth stocks the pricing can get ahead of itself. I’d pay the current price for DOCU but when it was high $200s, no way. I think I even mentioned in here that I thought it was expensive but it was twice what it is now. I do think a drop in guidance versus a 40% drop. It’s down almost 60% now from the high.

Beat on sales and EPS too.  Does seem like a lot of overreaction and normally I'd be buying it.  I'm not sure I'm a believer in Docusign though.  I've used it, I like it, but there are other programs I use at work more that can get the job done.  

To be fair, my opinion isn't worth :2cents: .  I just bought down on NNOX again yesterday and no even knows if its a real company.  

Todem said:
Just a nibble on stocks that have been beaten down far more than the index’s. I have wanted to start positions in CRM, ADSK and FB (for the third time with this one as we 5 bagged this already). 

V and MA were near one year lows. 

Nibbles though. 

When I deploy sometimes the value is so loud compared to the broader markets. Picking stocks is not about the index corrections but the stocks themselves. But I nibbled. 

For example.....I want a total 3% position in CRM.

We only bought 1% of it. 

Because I do expect a broad market correction at some point.....and everything goes down and we can add more when we see/if event. 

My confidence level in a 10-12% selloff is quite high as you know heading into 2022. Long term....bullish. And I actually expect 2022 to be a positive year.....but getting from point A to point B will be a far more bumpy ride in 2022. Lot's of headwinds coming from all directions. 
Nibbling on DOCU or OLLI after this morning's slaughter? Asking for a friend.

It seems like we’ve hit almost full panic and terror in mid/small growth, or at least we’re close.
Seems like a ways to go. Omicron reality hasn't fully hit yet IMO. The news the market was pushing early this morning was that "variant concerns were easing", yet both vaccine manufactures have said it will escape their vaccines and there will be the need for reformulation. I don't think the gravity of that has hit yet, and don't see why things like ZM, SE, ETSY, and even DOCU are getting hit if the markets are truly forward looking. Maybe the markets believe the Fed will still hike interest rates into the teeth of a "twin pandemic". If they do, I suspect everything will tank.

It seems like we’ve hit almost full panic and terror in mid/small growth, or at least we’re close.
No kidding. Even stocks that raised guidance last time and beat all numbers are getting crushed. I wish I had created a bit more powder but it’s seems like my cash positions are increasing % without selling. 🤦‍♂️ 

At least MRVL isn’t negative and thankfully I don’t own any ASAN or DOCU.

Seems like a ways to go. Omicron reality hasn't fully hit yet IMO. The news the market was pushing early this morning was that "variant concerns were easing", yet both vaccine manufactures have said it will escape their vaccines and there will be the need for reformulation. I don't think the gravity of that has hit yet, and don't see why things like ZM, SE, ETSY, and even DOCU are getting hit if the markets are truly forward looking. Maybe the markets believe the Fed will still hike interest rates into the teeth of a "twin pandemic". If they do, I suspect everything will tank.
When you get to panic selling it doesn’t matter. There is obviously a bit of conflict between saying we are scared of Omicrom while also beating up pandemic helped stocks. I also think inflation gets overblown in terms of growth stocks. I get the impact but an extra couple percent in inflation shouldn’t take 40% off the market cap. It seems like we hit these bumps every 6 months of so. May 2021 was a great time to buy.

Nibbled at KWEB today. 
I’m glad I dumped my two Chinese stocks a while ago. One was way up and I watched it sink and the other I at least got almost a double, but both are way down. I remember when BABA below $200 was considered a bargain this summer and now it’s one more bad day way from 2 digits.

Beat on sales and EPS too.  Does seem like a lot of overreaction and normally I'd be buying it.  I'm not sure I'm a believer in Docusign though.  I've used it, I like it, but there are other programs I use at work more that can get the job done.  

To be fair, my opinion isn't worth :2cents: .  I just bought down on NNOX again yesterday and no even knows if its a real company.  
I probably shouldn’t be buying as I’m not a huge believer either even though we is it. I just can’t pass up a good sale. 

Whisper numbers are almost always a good amount higher than "official" estimates, especially in high growth companies (who still lose money). They also missed on billings and guided 4th quarter and full year billings lower. All during what should be the best possible conditions for it's business model- if it can't execute now, how's it going to when things get back to "normal"?

The worst part may be how it all seems to have taken leadership completely by surprise.

Added a little to my AXON position. 

eta: sold a $GLBE jan 50 put, added a few CRWD shares.

Users who are viewing this thread