What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (15 Viewers)

Flipped the ATVI I purchased after Christmas for some SOFI and TQQQ this morning. 
I still have a decent sized TQQQ position but will add more if this drop continues.  Been thinking of adding more SOFI too.  That one seems due for a pop.  Maybe after these recent target price cuts settle a bit.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks GB.  Bought in December 2018 at $48.37.   It was over $100  earlier in the year but they've been rocked with scandals. 
I got rid of mine @ $70 and it looked decent until this. Got rid of ZNGA at $8 as well. Both had languished down 10% and 25% and looked like better opps. Didn’t think a buy would come that quick. 

Meme stocks. Wow
Is it surprising? A downturn means people are getting out of suspect stuff first. There’s folks who will believe in them till the money is gone but most investors probably got on for the ride.

AMC is the one I just don’t get at all. Short squeeze? The execs more than quadrupled the share count since the pandemic and the CEO and CFO have sold basically all vested shares. Lol at people acting like all the unvested shares showing they believe in it. Nope, that just means that can’t sell those shares yet. Business has way more debt and movie numbers even with Spider-Man are way the heck down from pre-pandemic and their revenues were already declining every year before the pandemic. Streaming is killing the theaters. Sure, everyone wants to see Spider-Man at the theaters. Other movies, not really. Not enough for market cap to be more than twice what it was when times were better with less debt.

I don’t believe in the others either. Priced to perfection of a full turn around and major initiatives is not how you make money. You make money buying in low and having the stocks make more money year over year. Betting long term on highly shorted stocks is a losing proposition unless there is a miracle turnaround. Betting long term on a dog and paying the assume the miracle turnaround has already happens price is even worse.

Can’t wait to see the Trump social media release. That will be fun.

I assume some folks are still diamond hands and adding to their already sizeable position while making boatloads on the way down.  The shorts are terrified.
If you want a good laugh go to the AMC discussions. You’ve got people asking when things will turn around saying they average a $45 cost basis on 13.5k shares (nice $350k loss). As far as I can tell on Twitter, there are a lot of sex workers (not kidding), single parents who think they will be passing on generational wealth and random people who eat up anything they read. It’s tough knowing some of these people are going to lose a lot of money they probably can’t afford to lose, but honestly, they’d be chasing after some other cause or cult. I just laugh because I have no idea if some of it is real or if the sex workers are trolling for viewers (very likely as well).

So I'm seeing this new color this morning in my stock summary.  Please advise.
You know, my son made a comment like this when we were late for his orthodontist appointment yesterday. Hey dad, we seem to be catching all green lights. If I had laser eyes, pretty sure the look I gave him would have burned. Needless to say, we seemed to hit all red lights the rest of the way. Luckily, didn’t hurt us but my advice is to enjoy it and keep your trap shut!

If you want a good laugh go to the AMC discussions. You’ve got people asking when things will turn around saying they average a $45 cost basis on 13.5k shares (nice $350k loss). As far as I can tell on Twitter, there are a lot of sex workers (not kidding), single parents who think they will be passing on generational wealth and random people who eat up anything they read. It’s tough knowing some of these people are going to lose a lot of money they probably can’t afford to lose, but honestly, they’d be chasing after some other cause or cult. I just laugh because I have no idea if some of it is real or if the sex workers are trolling for viewers (very likely as well).
I had this nailed, just a month early.  Honestly, got lucky to get out in the money when I did. 

I've looked repeatedly to short it, GME (Sorry GBDodds) and DWAC via options but it's incredibly expensive which tells you something.  According to options pricing, the more months you go out, the more likely the stock will be significantly lower in price.  

For example on DWAC, it's currently trading at $92 per share.  A January 2023 option to sell (put) at $90 is $69 per contract.  That means it needs to drop 77% below $21 per share in the next 12 months to make money.  That's CRAZY. 

Judge Smails said:
Meme stocks. Wow
This might be an interesting read when it comes out next month

The Revolution That Wasn’t

During one crazy week in January 2021, a motley crew of retail traders on Reddit’s r/wallstreetbets forum had seemingly done the impossible—they had brought some of the biggest, richest players on Wall Street to their knees. Their weapon was GameStop, a failing retailer whose shares briefly became the most-traded security on the planet and the subject of intense media coverage. 

The Revolution That Wasn’t is the riveting story of how the meme stock squeeze unfolded, and of the real architects (and winners) of the GameStop rally. Drawing on his years as a stock analyst at a major bank, Jakab exposes technological and financial innovations such as Robinhood’s habit-forming smartphone app as ploys to get our dollars within the larger story of evolving social and economic pressures. The surprising truth? What appeared to be a watershed moment—a revolution that stripped the ultra-powerful hedge funds of their market influence, placing power back in the hands of everyday investors—only tilted the odds further in the house’s favor. 

Online brokerages love to talk about empowerment and “democratizing finance” while profiting from the mistakes and volatility created by novice investors. In this nuanced analysis, Jakab shines a light on the often-misunderstood profit motives and financial mechanisms to show how this so-called revolution is, on balance, a bonanza for Wall Street. But, Jakab argues, there really is a way for ordinary investors to beat the pros: by refusing to play their game.

I've heard that phrase tossed around somewhere before - can't remember where.  :oldunsure:
That’s not even where I got it. I’ve seen many tweets with that exact text, which may also mean all of them are getting it from the same sources. Honestly, it’s not much different than the people getting their vaccine info from online sources where you see the same misinformation anecdotes parroted all over the place.

I had this nailed, just a month early.  Honestly, got lucky to get out in the money when I did. 

I've looked repeatedly to short it, GME (Sorry GBDodds) and DWAC via options but it's incredibly expensive which tells you something.  According to options pricing, the more months you go out, the more likely the stock will be significantly lower in price.  

For example on DWAC, it's currently trading at $92 per share.  A January 2023 option to sell (put) at $90 is $69 per contract.  That means it needs to drop 77% below $21 per share in the next 12 months to make money.  That's CRAZY. 
DWAC reminds me of Lucid pre-changeover. There were a lot of assumptions being made without knowing how much of the company the SPAC investors would get and that, even with the run up, is still 40% down from the high. I think DWAC is the same. The market cap of the SPAC is almost meaningless right now because you don’t know what ownership market cap the SPAC is getting. I saw an article with a $3.5 market cap for the company and that’s incorrect. That’s just the SPAC price times the outstanding shares. How many shares does the entire company have and how much of the company is owned by the SPAC.

Personally, I don’t think much of the company right now but very much believe that the SPAC price is completely out of whack with the reality just purely based on ownership % of the final company market cap.

This might be an interesting read when it comes out next month

The Revolution That Wasn’t

During one crazy week in January 2021, a motley crew of retail traders on Reddit’s r/wallstreetbets forum had seemingly done the impossible—they had brought some of the biggest, richest players on Wall Street to their knees. Their weapon was GameStop, a failing retailer whose shares briefly became the most-traded security on the planet and the subject of intense media coverage. 

The Revolution That Wasn’t is the riveting story of how the meme stock squeeze unfolded, and of the real architects (and winners) of the GameStop rally. Drawing on his years as a stock analyst at a major bank, Jakab exposes technological and financial innovations such as Robinhood’s habit-forming smartphone app as ploys to get our dollars within the larger story of evolving social and economic pressures. The surprising truth? What appeared to be a watershed moment—a revolution that stripped the ultra-powerful hedge funds of their market influence, placing power back in the hands of everyday investors—only tilted the odds further in the house’s favor. 

Online brokerages love to talk about empowerment and “democratizing finance” while profiting from the mistakes and volatility created by novice investors. In this nuanced analysis, Jakab shines a light on the often-misunderstood profit motives and financial mechanisms to show how this so-called revolution is, on balance, a bonanza for Wall Street. But, Jakab argues, there really is a way for ordinary investors to beat the pros: by refusing to play their game.
Sounds like a good read. However, this was pretty obvious at the time. Not surprising at all.

I thought it was the greatest transfer of wealth in human history?
It may be, just not in the direction assumed. It’s funny that Roaring Kitty was the GME poster child but come to find out he was a broker and his company was fined for his trading activity. Roaring Kitty made way more than the folks who jumped on too late with the gamma squeeze talk. On the AMC side, the CEO is the ape poster boy and he and his CFO buddy have sold all their vested shares. The leaders of the revolution are the ones that profited from the random retail traders who basically paid the leaders who are the same evil broker/hedgie/Wall Street cronies retail traders are railing against.

You know, my son made a comment like this when we were late for his orthodontist appointment yesterday. Hey dad, we seem to be catching all green lights. If I had laser eyes, pretty sure the look I gave him would have burned. Needless to say, we seemed to hit all red lights the rest of the way. Luckily, didn’t hurt us but my advice is to enjoy it and keep your trap shut!

Yeah, nevermind.  That same comforting color is back.

It may be, just not in the direction assumed. It’s funny that Roaring Kitty was the GME poster child but come to find out he was a broker and his company was fined for his trading activity. Roaring Kitty made way more than the folks who jumped on too late with the gamma squeeze talk. On the AMC side, the CEO is the ape poster boy and he and his CFO buddy have sold all their vested shares. The leaders of the revolution are the ones that profited from the random retail traders who basically paid the leaders who are the same evil broker/hedgie/Wall Street cronies retail traders are railing against.
im honestly surprised it’s still as high as it is

im honestly surprised it’s still as high as it is
True, you could look at the drops and see the normal tech high flyer drop. GME is going to be slower because there is a belief of growth. Personally, I think the Microsoft deal just cements my thoughts and that hoping for some sort of NFT dream is just that. As I mentioned a long time ago, they (like AMC as well), GameStop has no content so why would anyone want to just split the profit. AMC has distribution some clients want but their revenue is dropping as it was pre-pandemic. GameStop folks were acting like Microsoft and Sony would cut them in on game revenue. I haven’t seen that happen and it’s not getting closer. AMC is a joke TBH. It’s still worth more than double of its peak and it’s revenue is much lower and not getting better and they took on more debt and the execs gave themselves nice amounts of stock to sell.

I used to sell BNKU in the 61 range.  Now I'm a little excited to add here.  

Buying some more TNA too for a DCA.  Might be holding this one for a bit.      

Picked up some Fulgent yesterday when the PE was below 3.6.  

Someone is going to have to buyout these guys right?  Right now Fulgent's market cap is firmly between Cytodyn and DWAC.  They are sitting on $1.1 billion in cash and short term investments.

Looking at GCV this morning. They are dipping but if you look at their chart over the last year they have gone through some dips every few months and then goes back up.

May buy some more. 

I keep adding more and more NVDA. I hope my faith pays off - but this one just seems like it has to come back strong once the market shifts back.
:thumbup:  One of the reasons why I bought more SOXL.  The entire Semi sector has given back a lot of their Nov-Dec gains.  Maybe they shot up too much too fast and needed this retreat, but hell yeah I'll buy more.  

Damn. That ain’t good. I did feel like I missed the boat on PTON but I never really liked the stock. Glad I stuck with my gut. Something about exercising always being a fad driven area and gyms being a destination now open again. Too many stories about old equipment holding laundry.

Users who are viewing this thread