Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Stock Thread

1 hour ago, ChiefD said:

Bought some AAPL today in my kids accounts. My one investing son will be happy and other two will care at a much later date. 

:lol:

In 1985 my mom sold a painting to buy me and my brother an Apple computer. She wanted her kids to experience computers and it did start my path of being a graphic designer in the digital age. If she had used that same money and bought Apple stock instead, me and my bro would be splitting $5.5 million today. 

Edited by ericttspikes
  • Like 4
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Gilroy34 said:

Seriously why is the VIX called the volatility index?  It should be the negativity index.  It only goes up on bad days.

It's a measure of bid/ask spread on SPY options out into the future, as they spread out VIX goes up.  It is heavily correlated with down days because people tend bid on out of the money options as the market goes down, and do less hedging in a rising market.  While not at all the best example it's sort of why when playing craps you see few don't pass players.  

It's really a measure of volatility in the sense of there is a lot of disagreement on where the broader markets are headed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

32 minutes ago, ericttspikes said:

In 1985 my mom sold a painting to buy me and my brother an Apple computer. She wanted her kids to experience computers and it did start my path of being a graphic designer in the digital age. If she had used that same money and bought Apple stock instead, me and my bro would be splitting $5.5 million today. 

What's the painting worth now?

1 hour ago, BassNBrew said:

7.5% now

Assume it’s down a bit more due to the NVDA rumor that they’ll abandon the ARM agreement. Not really on the same level as XLNX has already cleared US and UK and just needs China approval. ARM was hung up in UK. Not sure if that deal Had any approvals yet. 

42 minutes ago, cosjobs said:

What's the painting worth now?

My mom passed in 2018, and I don't remember the artist. But I had looked into its value before when she was around. She bought it in France in the 70's from an impressionist artist who's work gained popularity after he passed. It was a simple street scene in Paris, about 13" x 10". I think she sold it back in 1985 for around $5k and the last I remember it was valued at $35K or so in the early 2000's. It was a known work that had an auction record. 

Edited by ericttspikes
  • Like 3

32 minutes ago, ericttspikes said:

My mom passed in 2018, and I don't remember the artist. But I had looked into its value before when she was around. She bought it in France in the 70's from an impressionist artist who's work gained popularity after he passed. It was a simple street scene in Paris, about 13" x 10". I think she sold it back in 1985 for around $5k and the last I remember it was valued at $35K or so in the early 2000's. It was a known work that had an auction record. 

I'm sorry to hear about your mom but appreciate the story. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, 2Squirrels1Nut said:

MSFT beat top and bottom line, down 5.5%   :oldunsure:

And TXN beats by less and is up 5.5%

Maybe not sell % wise...  And analysts were expecting a bigger beat but didn't raise their estimates?  

Edited by beef

12 minutes ago, 2Squirrels1Nut said:

yeah...not good.  I need to free up some cash.  Sold my MSFT in the $330s.  I'm buying back in at a 20% discount if it gets there tomorrow.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 2Squirrels1Nut said:

And IBM was up the same today because they “beat” estimates and their “growth” story is looking good according to analysts. If you actually look at their 2021 results, Q4 revenue was ahead of estimates, but was actually the lowest quarter of 2021. Usually lower revenue <> growing.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, stbugs said:

And IBM was up the same today because they “beat” estimates and their “growth” story is looking good according to analysts. If you actually look at their 2021 results, Q4 revenue was ahead of estimates, but was actually the lowest quarter of 2021. Usually lower revenue <> growing.

Going to be very blunt….I wipe my ### with 95 % of these analyst’s reports. 

I strictly use them to read the financials on a company. Not their opinion.

If I did that…..I would be broke.

Most of these analysts are fresh outta business school and have almost zero experience investing and managing real wealth. They are very wet behind the ears.

I do like Morningstar’s analysts however. Many are very experienced and have been around for decades.

Edited by Todem
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Horrible stock for decades but now it's looking good. lol

1 hour ago, 2Squirrels1Nut said:

Horrible stock for decades but now it's looking good. lol

Yep. Even with the pop and the 5% dividend, the 5 year return is 2%. Not 2% a year, 2% for the past 5 years.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Todem said:

Going to be very blunt….I wipe my ### with 95 % of these analyst’s reports. 

I strictly use them to read the financials on a company. Not their opinion.

If I did that…..I would be broke.

Most of these analysts are fresh outta business school and have almost zero experience investing and managing real wealth. They are very wet behind the ears.

I do like Morningstar’s analysts however. Many are very experienced and have been around for decades.

Can I get an Amen??!!!!   :)

When I first started following the market I paid too much attention to analysts and their recommendations.   I admit it cost me money.  There are some that appear on CNBC that I give more credence too and generally give sound advice with the benefit of hindsight.  I would tell you who exactly falls into this category but my memory is poor and recognize them by face only.  The rest of them however seem like it's all a pump and dump and you would better doing the opposite of their recommendations the vast majority of the time. 

11 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Yep. Even with the pop and the 5% dividend, the 5 year return is 2%. Not 2% a year, 2% for the past 5 years.

It's a horrible stock which is a shame.  

To illustrate how old I am, when I was in college, IBM was all my business professor could talk about* when it came to investing. Of course for a long period of time, he was right. 

*He also frequently recanted watching Red Grange, aka The Galloping Ghost, play football. 

• Like 1

On 1/22/2022 at 7:49 PM, stinkzmagee said:

I’m sure there are plenty but NNDM has like $1.4 billion in cash and market cap is like $900 million currently.  Recently acquired some revenue generating business and they are generating next level 3D printing tech with some starter govt agency sales.  Anything can happen but sign me up for more likely to go from $4 to $40 than $4 to $2 in the next few years.

came across this January 04 article from Seeking Alpha on NNDM

2 hours ago, stbugs said:

I worked at IBM for 5 years and bought shares at a 5% discount...got a 5% dividend....and still lost money.  

ETA:  being on the inside it was easy to see why they so grossly underperform other tech companies (I've worked at Salesforce and Oracle as well, along with private companies).  Empty real estate in every single major city (well before Covid).  Complete restructuring of management across products every year or two, destroying any chance at continuity.  Sales people all over getting paid for doing nothing, and sales management that had no idea how to sell or what their people even did.  Good times.

Edited by SFBayDuck
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, FreeBaGeL said:

MSFT gained it all back already with good guidance.

Only because this is the first time in ages I didn't buying on the after hours dip.  

1 hour ago, BassNBrew said:

Only because this is the first time in ages I didn't buying on the after hours dip.  

I have no idea whether to buy or not at the moment.  I can see the fed coming out tomorrow and making everyone happy and we rip for 6 months and I can see a 75 pt drop on spy. 

4 minutes ago, stinkzmagee said:

I have no idea whether to buy or not at the moment.  I can see the fed coming out tomorrow and making everyone happy and we rip for 6 months and I can see a 75 pt drop on spy. 

Split the difference and buy individual stocks that down more than the market on the pullbacks.

NRGU up 40% since Monday's low and flirting with 280 (at its 52 week high).  One of the few stocks/ETFs I didn't add to since 200 seemed too high yet.  Just doesn't seem like it will hold and 200 will hit again.  But that might be after it hits 300 first.       

56 minutes ago, ericttspikes said:

Sell the rip? Not a trader but interested to see how the day plays out. Guessing strong open and crash.

It will all depend on the fed meeting today.  They are supposed to announce the rate increase schedule, right?

30 minutes ago, FreeBaGeL said:

It will all depend on the fed meeting today.  They are supposed to announce the rate increase schedule, right?

So, this is something I've been wondering about.  In the past, there's always been a "what are they gonna do?!" element to these announcements.  This time, not so much.  Feels like the markets already "know" that rates are increasing and reasonably know by how much.  Can we assume this announcement is already baked in?

31 minutes ago, FreeBaGeL said:

Probably. Maybe 50/50 on that being good news or bad? Maybe better on odds on being bad? Not sure. Just seems like there are more potential negative catalysts out there than positive ones in the short term. I'm not trading it, but still reluctant to call this close to the bottom to be a buyer here.