What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (14 Viewers)

Bob Sacamano said:
This is an area where I struggle: Seeing short-term headwinds for positions I want to maintain long-term. 

I'm not holding CBLLF to retirement.  I have high and low-end targets for divesting that position as things develop.  But I can see holding AAPL and GOOGL for 10+ years.  AAPL's cash hoard gives them options other companies may not have as their products reach maturity, and the shift towards growing services provides them with an additional cushion they didn't have when ithings were everything to them. 

If autonomous vehicles truly come to pass in the timelines people seem to be expecting, my money is on GOOGL being first/best. That's a hell of a kick to an already dominant position in an area that's become integral to each of our lives.

I don't know that I buy a 30% s-t dip for either from here.  But even if there is, weathering that vs. taking the immediate haircut and risking being wrong is an evaluation I'm uncomfortable making.  It should be easier to manage things when you're fortunate enough to find 100+% gains, but I find it easier to protect a 20% gain on something I don't want to own until I retire.

:looksatsiff:
If/when the market ever rolls over, GOOG is near the top of my buy low list - I agree completely about the autonomous driving angle. 

AAPL is one I struggle with though - they're going to need to do something innovative to stay a market leader for 10-20 years. They will not thrive forever on an iphone - sure, it is a cash cow now, but technology moves fast and it doesn't take a lot of time for them to be displaced. Jobs was an innovation guy, Tim Cook is much more businessman, less innovation man to me - he has done an excellent job steering the ship, but he has done very little in advancing them beyond an iphone. 

Positives:

Building services / other products 

Negatives:

iphone still makes up (I believe) > 85% of revenue, even with all the revenue growth elsewhere... They have such a lead on the most important object in your life, but they need to do something beyond faster speeds, better screen clarity, better camera, etc to protect that or eventually they'll be displaced. AMZN is pressing hard to integrate themselves into your home, AAPL really needs to look at their playbook, IMO, and they're falling behind.

One thing that always make me more comfortable on the longer horizon is founder = CEO. Even with that being said, MSFT has pivoted and continues to do so, I wish I'd see something that makes me more comfortable with AAPL beyond market gimmicks like buybacks. 

Just my .02, but if the market did turn, GOOG is much higher on my shopping list than AAPL. 

If/when the market ever rolls over, GOOG is near the top of my buy low list - I agree completely about the autonomous driving angle. 

AAPL is one I struggle with though - they're going to need to do something innovative to stay a market leader for 10-20 years. They will not thrive forever on an iphone - sure, it is a cash cow now, but technology moves fast and it doesn't take a lot of time for them to be displaced. Jobs was an innovation guy, Tim Cook is much more businessman, less innovation man to me - he has done an excellent job steering the ship, but he has done very little in advancing them beyond an iphone. 

Positives:

Building services / other products 

Negatives:

iphone still makes up (I believe) > 85% of revenue, even with all the revenue growth elsewhere... They have such a lead on the most important object in your life, but they need to do something beyond faster speeds, better screen clarity, better camera, etc to protect that or eventually they'll be displaced. AMZN is pressing hard to integrate themselves into your home, AAPL really needs to look at their playbook, IMO, and they're falling behind.

One thing that always make me more comfortable on the longer horizon is founder = CEO. Even with that being said, MSFT has pivoted and continues to do so, I wish I'd see something that makes me more comfortable with AAPL beyond market gimmicks like buybacks. 

Just my .02, but if the market did turn, GOOG is much higher on my shopping list than AAPL. 
We're talking about 2 different things.  I have no plans to buy AAPL.  I already have more there than I'm really comfortable holding.  But they're about to be paying me 4% per year, and selling it comes at a steep cost.  And the evaluation for approaching that is a little different than the evaluation of jumping in at this point.  Frankly, I might be OK with Cook just not ####ing it all up and finding a way to become MSFT... or BRK, for that matter.  Especially when you have a #### ton of money, you don't have to continue to be what you have been. 

These booming tech earnings reports have me all hot and bothered for Square which reports soon. Any thoughts on SQ? What other tech company (aside from Alibaba which I don’t want) have upcoming earnings? I won on an AAPL call this week so I think i caught the options bug.

Thoughts on CDW? Bought a small position last week at 53.29 and they're at 55.76 after earnings today. So, they're at their 52 week high but all they ever seem to do is produce. It's for my ROTH, where I like to have a lot of dividend growth stocks. They have raised  their quarterly dividend from .0675 to .1075 to .16 where it is now, and they promise more growth here in the future. I'm looking long-term. I kind of want to add some more but wanted to see if anyone else here has them on their radar, too. What am I missing?
CDW reported this morning and beat by $0.13 and beat on revenue. This is all they ever do. I love these freaking guys. Div is at $0.21 now which they'll likely raise in August. 

These booming tech earnings reports have me all hot and bothered for Square which reports soon. Any thoughts on SQ? What other tech company (aside from Alibaba which I don’t want) have upcoming earnings? I won on an AAPL call this week so I think i caught the options bug.
SWKS, a supplier for Apple, reports tomorrow.  NVDA reports May 10.

I am doing some research on how to invest in Fortnite.  It is an extremely popular video game privately owned by Epic Games from what I can find.  It appears Tencent owns a 40% stake in Epic Games, Tencent trades under ticker symbol TCEHY and reports earnings on May 16th.  AAPL has benefited since the release of the mobile addition launched on April 1st and Fortnite was the 2nd most popular app purchase on I phones besides Netflix.  NVDA could see growth as gamers upgrade graphic cards.

Anyone have other ways to invest in Fortnite?

Happy Elon Musk day! I think today is the day the dam starts to show cracks. 
I still don’t get how Tesla seems to be linked with the other tech companies. I get that Elon and Tesla are “cool” but it’s a car company pure and simple. Whether or not they have a good quarter is 100% irrelevant to FANG and other tech companies like them. If one of the tech companies shows signs of slowing growth then you could surmise others ones will as well or the opposite, but Tesla has 0 direct correlation to “tech” companies. 

Depending on the Fed minutes, might just pile into BABA for the obvious pre-earnings spike. 

Mnuchin in China is the only thing keeping me from buying thousands of shares... Prob the only thing keeping Baba from $195 by tomorrow's close too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I still don’t get how Tesla seems to be linked with the other tech companies. I get that Elon and Tesla are “cool” but it’s a car company pure and simple. Whether or not they have a good quarter is 100% irrelevant to FANG and other tech companies like them. If one of the tech companies shows signs of slowing growth then you could surmise others ones will as well or the opposite, but Tesla has 0 direct correlation to “tech” companies. 
If half the cost is tech multiply this by delivered cars. Its a tiny amount of chips. 

Bought 20 BABA Calls (Friday expiration, $182.5 strike) for 5.4

I'm getting out of most of them before market close tomorrow, but hoping to gain enough to free-roll 5 of them.

If half the cost is tech multiply this by delivered cars. Its a tiny amount of chips. 
Exactly, it has literally no impact on tech stocks and competes with other automakers yet it's always lumped with tech stocks. Call it a growth play in the auto industry. I don’t even consider it a self driving play in that I don’t believe they are selling tech to other automakers, i.e. at the end of the day they sell cars.

Exactly, it has literally no impact on tech stocks and competes with other automakers yet it's always lumped with tech stocks. Call it a growth play in the auto industry. I don’t even consider it a self driving play in that I don’t believe they are selling tech to other automakers, i.e. at the end of the day they sell cars.
They sell battery packs for storage. In tiny volume. Power walls and solar hasn't just rocketed off either. 

I am doing some research on how to invest in Fortnite.  It is an extremely popular video game privately owned by Epic Games from what I can find.  It appears Tencent owns a 40% stake in Epic Games, Tencent trades under ticker symbol TCEHY and reports earnings on May 16th.  AAPL has benefited since the release of the mobile addition launched on April 1st and Fortnite was the 2nd most popular app purchase on I phones besides Netflix.  NVDA could see growth as gamers upgrade graphic cards.

Just wondering, Do you play video games?

It's not a perfect match, but watching people play games like Fortnite on Twitch is apparently a monster component of the whole e-sports industry, and Twitch is owned by Amazon. 

Nope, my 12 year old son does and he and his friends are infactuated with Fortnite.
In my opinion i  think Fortnite will die down when Blizzard, EA, and Take Two make their own games. Fortnite introduced a new paradigm. The others will follow.

In my opinion i  think Fortnite will die down when Blizzard, EA, and Take Two make their own games. Fortnite introduced a new paradigm. The others will follow.
Thanks.  You could very well be right.  Just thinking it could be a quick way to make some money short term.

Don't Noonan said:

Seems like there's some element of gaming being a zero sum game (i.e., If everyone is playing that game all the time, then nobody is playing other games).  Short their publicly traded competitors.

Fortnite is huge right now. Do you think they'll get even bigger? I mean, all the growth is probably already priced in, I'd think. I don't know if it's going to get even bigger, don't these things tend to open big, then tail off after time? Seems like the time to invest would have been nine months ago, ride it up, then sell at the peak.
Well, TCEHY reports earnings on May 16th.  Supposedly they own 40% of Epic Games, the creator of Fortnite.  Just a gamble I am willing to take.  TCEHY stock has actually decreased from $61 earlier this year to $49.  Just a what the heck flyer for me.

Can you expound on this? BABA looks good going into earnings. Did you mis-time your option?
I stepped in front of a market wide selloff - trying to get it back by going long $298 into the TSLA earnings call. 

:bag:

Let's go Elon!!

Today will be the day the market doesn't gobble up his ####.

:lmao:

Couldn't get anything right today :kicksrock:

Gonna go home and beat my wife and kids... 

Pretty stupid stuff on my part. Should've read this one much better. If inflation is near the Fed's target and they're only at 1.5-1.75%, we're gonna run into problems. 

FWIW, I sold Tesla at $295 for a loss of $3, I take some solace in that small loss looking at wtf just happened to it. 

I was just gambling today and the house dominated...

Don't Noonan said:
I already have one!
Mine is home from school.   And playing Fortnite.

ETA:  just noticed I'm ahead of the S&P for the first time this year.  SKT and YUMC didn't help today (can't complain about YUMC too much - way up after it was split off from YUM).  CVX is ruling the house, though.

Users who are viewing this thread