What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (25 Viewers)

Ya glad I sold appl calls at 170 - missed the down side now I screwed myself out of the upside.  Thank god they are covered or that would have hurt.  I swear I should post my trades on here like fc - just do the opposite of me and you will be rich.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine is home from school.   And playing Fortnite.

ETA:  just noticed I'm ahead of the S&P for the first time this year.  SKT and YUMC didn't help today (can't complain about YUMC too much - way up after it was split off from YUM).  CVX is ruling the house, though.
Teachers have been on strike for the past 5 days here in Arizona.  All my son has been doing the past week is playing Fortnite with his friends.

Teachers have been on strike for the past 5 days here in Arizona.  All my son has been doing the past week is playing Fortnite with his friends.
Mine is in a charter school, and they've been going the whole time.  Which was quite a relief, 'cause we have plans starting the day after school ends.

I'm conflicted right now - VIX is around $17.5, which is well off it's highs from Feb/March, but the DJIA is pretty close to it's low from then. 

I can't find any meaningful news on anything, and every headline I read right now is about Elon Musk (okay, we get it), but the DJIA has shed about 600 points in the last 3 trading hours... 

Something about the VIX being comfortable where it is, while the DJIA is near the lows, it is screaming buy to me right now... Maybe the fact that I'm looking at this as a buy (being a huge pessimist over the last 2 months) is a contrarian indicator - I'm conflicted heavily right now. Feels like there are some good swing trades to be made.

I'm conflicted right now - VIX is around $17.5, which is well off it's highs from Feb/March, but the DJIA is pretty close to it's low from then. 

I can't find any meaningful news on anything, and every headline I read right now is about Elon Musk (okay, we get it), but the DJIA has shed about 600 points in the last 3 trading hours... 

Something about the VIX being comfortable where it is, while the DJIA is near the lows, it is screaming buy to me right now... Maybe the fact that I'm looking at this as a buy (being a huge pessimist over the last 2 months) is a contrarian indicator - I'm conflicted heavily right now. Feels like there are some good swing trades to be made.
https://i.imgur.com/Crw0yx2.png

I mean, if you're not looking to marry something in the DJIA, and simply looking for a fling, doesn't take a genius to look at the above and see this bottom has been holding. Add in the VIX being much lower - can pick up 3-4% while only risking 1%. 

Looks like this 23,500 area is holding strong today too on the futures. Unless something horrible comes from China or the NFP tomorrow, this is a strong area to buy. 

And another 1k shares of SDS at 39.88
:coffee:  Although I've sold about 30% of my position this morning. The 200day has survived nine prior tests since the late January high. While we are in the max acceleration phase the heart of it does not start until May 9. Then nothing will stand in its way. On May 8 I will be going to 100% short.

:coffee:  Although I've sold about 30% of my position this morning. The 200day has survived nine prior tests since the late January high. While we are in the max acceleration phase the heart of it does not start until May 9. Then nothing will stand in its way. On May 8 I will be going to 100% short.
I think you need bad news out of China or a super hot NFP for it to break. 

What's May 9th? 

Made about $800 in TVIX today. Had I held out a little longer, could have doubled that. This stuff is going bonkers.

So frustrating trying to time it though. Sell too soon or I get stuck with it. Still learning.

What are you basing that on?
A guy I follow's model, which is based on Animal Spirits. I'm hesitant to post his name and what not as I'm not looking for the guy to be picked apart and lambasted. I'm in this win or lose, but don't expect others to follow along. He's got historical data going back to the '60's on his model. It was very accurate up until 2011 or so, then the market's exuberance threw it off. It looks like the model is back in rhythm. 

Made about $800 in TVIX today. Had I held out a little longer, could have doubled that. This stuff is going bonkers.

So frustrating trying to time it though. Sell too soon or I get stuck with it. Still learning.
was in Monday for 1000 @ 7.12 and again Tuesday 1000 @ 6.90  ... for 2000 @ 7.01.... sold 2000 today @ 7.42 = $820 

Had I been more patient, it went as high as 7.90 today ... would have netted $1780

... not that I could have nailed it at the peak .. but even $7.80 would have got me $1580

https://i.imgur.com/Crw0yx2.png

I mean, if you're not looking to marry something in the DJIA, and simply looking for a fling, doesn't take a genius to look at the above and see this bottom has been holding. Add in the VIX being much lower - can pick up 3-4% while only risking 1%. 

Looks like this 23,500 area is holding strong today too on the futures. Unless something horrible comes from China or the NFP tomorrow, this is a strong area to buy. 
It was worth buying, although, CNBC just flashed the kiss of death on the screen:

"DOW GOES POSITIVE, ERASING NEARLY 400 POINT LOSS"

If there was ever a contrarian indicator...

CNBC closing headline:

Dow loses 400 points!

Eventually you'll learn that timing the market (or TVIX) is nearly impossible.

It was worth buying, although, CNBC just flashed the kiss of death on the screen:

"DOW GOES POSITIVE, ERASING NEARLY 400 POINT LOSS"

If there was ever a contrarian indicator...

CNBC closing headline:

Dow loses 400 points!
No better indicator, DJIA fell 75 points almost instantly after that headline. 

No better indicator, DJIA fell 75 points almost instantly after that headline. 
Just shows you how much the market is driven by these programs. That’s why long term investing seems to always beat day trading. There are much bigger people out there who move things way more than the little guy.

Just shows you how much the market is driven by these programs. That’s why long term investing seems to always beat day trading. There are much bigger people out there who move things way more than the little guy.
What programs?  Tv or quant stuff?

When all the hogs get slaughtered, or so says my crystal ball. 

A guy I follow's model, which is based on Animal Spirits. I'm hesitant to post his name and what not as I'm not looking for the guy to be picked apart and lambasted. I'm in this win or lose, but don't expect others to follow along. He's got historical data going back to the '60's on his model. It was very accurate up until 2011 or so, then the market's exuberance threw it off. It looks like the model is back in rhythm. 
Hopefully to be known as The Real Good Friday for the last of my life GB. ;)

was in Monday for 1000 @ 7.12 and again Tuesday 1000 @ 6.90  ... for 2000 @ 7.01.... sold 2000 today @ 7.42 = $820 

Had I been more patient, it went as high as 7.90 today ... would have netted $1780

... not that I could have nailed it at the peak .. but even $7.80 would have got me $1580
... for the week I'm up about $1100 with tvix. Here's what I've learned about this money pit ...

This moves up and down all day, so the challenge is to buy at the dip and sell near the peak (duh). Same day ideally but a hold overnight works too. 

... but, it seems to move down more than up. So if you're holding this long term it's losing value. Was trading in the 9's and 8's ... now 7's and 6's. Wouldn't shock me if this is in the 4's in the near future.

best analogy would be that this is the stock market whore house .... get in, get off, get out. You don't want to marry or even date this one.

This way, doesn't matter if it's trading in the 4's ... so long as your selling 1000 shares @ .30 more than you paid, you still made $300.

I'm still sitting on about 1500 shares that I bought in the $8's ... but I'm cutting my losses each week with these quick in and outs.

Today was exceptional but it's been pretty easy making $100-$300 prior. That said, I'll likely lose my #### tomorrow.

Bossman said:
... for the week I'm up about $1100 with tvix. Here's what I've learned about this money pit ...

This moves up and down all day, so the challenge is to buy at the dip and sell near the peak (duh). Same day ideally but a hold overnight works too. 

... but, it seems to move down more than up. So if you're holding this long term it's losing value. Was trading in the 9's and 8's ... now 7's and 6's. Wouldn't shock me if this is in the 4's in the near future.

best analogy would be that this is the stock market whore house .... get in, get off, get out. You don't want to marry or even date this one.

This way, doesn't matter if it's trading in the 4's ... so long as your selling 1000 shares @ .30 more than you paid, you still made $300.

I'm still sitting on about 1500 shares that I bought in the $8's ... but I'm cutting my losses each week with these quick in and outs.

Today was exceptional but it's been pretty easy making $100-$300 prior. That said, I'll likely lose my #### tomorrow.
Dude, unless you consider yourself one of the smartest day traders on Earth, you're eventually going to kick your teeth kicked in on this. 

If you're up, I'd take the profit on this one and run, not make it a habit... Just my .02.

Here is one reason I'm such a bull on AAPL:   https://www.strategyanalytics.com/strategy-analytics/news/strategy-analytics-press-releases/2018/05/03/strategy-analytics-apple-iphone-x-becomes-world's-best-selling-smartphone-model-in-q1-2018#.WuyP1Ygvy71

Global Smartphone Shipments by Model (Millions of Units)  Q1 '18

1. Apple iPhone X  16.0

2. Apple iPhone 8  12.5

3. Apple iPhone 8 Plus  8.3

4. Apple iPhone 7  5.6

5. Xiaomi Redmi 5A  5.4

6. Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus  5.3

Rest of Total Market   292.3
The iPhone 7 is still more popular than any other company's smartphone. Think about how insane that is.    

Dude, unless you consider yourself one of the smartest day traders on Earth, you're eventually going to kick your teeth kicked in on this. 

If you're up, I'd take the profit on this one and run, not make it a habit... Just my .02.
Have to admit that's probably good advice. 

With tvix trading in the mid 6's today, this thing is going to be in the 4's sooner rather than later.

I'll ride it to the bottom and scalp what I can on the way down.

Hopefully I can get out before I take that kick in the teeth.

St. Louis Bob said:
Hopefully to be known as The Real Good Friday for the last of my life GB. ;)
Well, this is where patience is needed. I expected the bounce after the test of the MA, next week will be proof, one way or another. 

I'm not going to pick anything apart, but I'll say one thing; I'm always skeptical when someone says something is going to happen on a specific date. 

For this example, we're looking at almost a decade of bull market, I think there needs to be a Black Swan event to really make it rollover hard - so the odds of someone picking a date and saying it happens here, my feelings are that it is nearly impossible. 

For our last crash, the wheels really started turning the day Lehman went under... Unless you were a C level executive there, nobody had any way of knowing that was about to happen. 

Regardless, I wish you luck on this - personally, I'd think you want to work your way into this position over the course of a few transactions and leave yourself the ability to dollar cost average as opposed to going 100% on a specific date. 

Here is one reason I'm such a bull on AAPL:   https://www.strategyanalytics.com/strategy-analytics/news/strategy-analytics-press-releases/2018/05/03/strategy-analytics-apple-iphone-x-becomes-world's-best-selling-smartphone-model-in-q1-2018#.WuyP1Ygvy71

The iPhone 7 is still more popular than any other company's smartphone. Think about how insane that is.    
And I had never heard of the Xiaomi until that list.  

I'm not going to pick anything apart, but I'll say one thing; I'm always skeptical when someone says something is going to happen on a specific date. 

For this example, we're looking at almost a decade of bull market, I think there needs to be a Black Swan event to really make it rollover hard - so the odds of someone picking a date and saying it happens here, my feelings are that it is nearly impossible. 

For our last crash, the wheels really started turning the day Lehman went under... Unless you were a C level executive there, nobody had any way of knowing that was about to happen. 

Regardless, I wish you luck on this - personally, I'd think you want to work your way into this position over the course of a few transactions and leave yourself the ability to dollar cost average as opposed to going 100% on a specific date. 
Yeah, I can understand your skepticism. I don't expect the last crash all over again at all, but a very healthy correction. I did work my into the position on 5/26 as noted, moving about 70k through three different stocks (SDS, SDOW, QID). During the week, I played SDS a couple of times to ride the wave, buying and selling, and finally pulled out about 20k on Thursday morning after we bounced near the MA. I was up about 3k before today, which wiped out about half of that. I'm in about 50k currently, and am looking to put another 30-40k in once we hit 2681 on SPX, or before closing on Tuesday, whichever happens first.

Again, I totally understand the skepticism, as it's warranted. People looking to time the market typically get burned. I'll see where I'm at towards the end of next week, and if said outcome doesn't come to pass, I'll exit the position. 

Bought 20 BABA Calls (Friday expiration, $182.5 strike) for 5.4

I'm getting out of most of them before market close tomorrow, but hoping to gain enough to free-roll 5 of them.
Did this net you something on the order of 10 grand on Friday? Or did you get down to five of them and so you’d only get about 3K?

Just looked at Big **** Blockchain for the first time in a long time, holding steady in the low 20's...

I'd buy another few thousand shares, but I'm scared I'll spike the price by like 40% - current bid ask has 50 shares / 100 shares, the whales are circling. 

Anyone care to look at Roku options? Historically, this thing moves like a maniac on earnings - if you’re willing to gamble, you can make bank if it moves over 12.5% in either direction, playing both sides. Implied volatility is about 16% as of now.

im debating buying some lotto tickets on both sides hoping on at least a 15% move. I gotta run numbers tomorrow.

Anyine have interest in this one? Look at their historical charts from earnings.

Looking to close out some gains on my tech stocks and get into something safer like bonds.

Any advice on bond funds?  I've never really dabbled.

Anyone care to look at Roku options? Historically, this thing moves like a maniac on earnings - if you’re willing to gamble, you can make bank if it moves over 12.5% in either direction, playing both sides. Implied volatility is about 16% as of now.

im debating buying some lotto tickets on both sides hoping on at least a 15% move. I gotta run numbers tomorrow.

Anyine have interest in this one? Look at their historical charts from earnings.
A straddle at a strike price of $33 will cost about $500. So if you think the stock is going outside $38 or $28, that works. But that requires a move of almost 20% on earnings so I’m steering clear. It’s just too much to move. The Calls are a bit more expensive and the stock was up 5% yesterday so I’d buy Calls, myself, at $35 ( listed as $160 per contract) but then the hedge is gone.

I have too much cash burning a hole in my pocket - made some aggressive purchases in XOM & COP today - figured with a bullish bet on gold this a good hedge (since gold/oil react opposite to a strong dollar)... Trump's tone today was pretty strong too, the backdrop for oil is super bullish and I'd rather just play the majors than the futures (safer if it goes against me).

Also, keeping an eye on UGA tomorrow - this past week was the peak for NYH gasoline imports, demand isn't strong enough yet to prevent a surplus... When the reports come out tomorrow at 1030, I suspect the algos will slap gas down, I believe it will be very very temporary and represent a buying opportunity. 

Something worth keeping an eye on.

Wife bought ETSY before the bell today, looking good for their earnings after hours. I know nothing about the company but it’s done well.

TripItUp said:
Looking to close out some gains on my tech stocks and get into something safer like bonds.

Any advice on bond funds?  I've never really dabbled.
These monies in taxable or tax sheltered accounts?

Users who are viewing this thread