What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (16 Viewers)

Wow, been a great start. Most of my assets are in individual stocks and the stuff that’s not is DCA type like current 401ks. I’ll be hanging around through thick and thin so hopefully if I pick the right ones (use some services for long term), any big dips won’t be too bad. I’m still 10-15 years away from starting retirement so still thinking long term.

ETA: Wish I wasn’t so busy. I wanted to buy LK last year but didn’t realize when the earnings call was and wham it went through the roof. Was traveling this week so missed the drop under $34. SMH. 

Last edited by a moderator:
siffoin said:
Welp...to the moon?  I don't think a down move is imminent...however don't be surprised if over the next weeks/months there is a move down towards $SPY $285ish.  Obviously...would reassess, but the mkt would remain bullish at that spot.  I'd likely be a buyer.

We are EXTREMELY overbought.

That's not to scare anyone out of a position...and again...I'm talking weeks and months.
I've admittedly pulled back into a "lazy" position of 1/3 splits of SPY/QQQ/CASH a little bit ago. 

Prob 20 years out from retirement. Market clearly overbought. I get attempting to "Time" the market is dumb. 

Disclaimers aside: Where would you guys be? 

Wow, been a great start. Most of my assets are in individual stocks and the stuff that’s not is DCA type like current 401ks. I’ll be hanging around through thick and thin so hopefully if I pick the right ones (use some services for long term), any big dips won’t be too bad. I’m still 10-15 years away from starting retirement so still thinking long term.

ETA: Wish I wasn’t so busy. I wanted to buy LK last year but didn’t realize when the earnings call was and wham it went through the roof. Was traveling this week so missed the drop under $34. SMH. 
LK is my pick in the FBG 2020 stock challenge. In real life, I didn’t have the cajones to buy at $35 recently either.

LK is my pick in the FBG 2020 stock challenge. In real life, I didn’t have the cajones to buy at $35 recently either.
I was watching it $18. Had I known the earnings report was that night, I would have bought some. Not enough to retire obviously, but even the $10-20k I put into a some other stocks around then would be up a ton. It’s one of the stocks I watch every day and of course I’m traveling for work this week. SMH, sometimes life is cruel. That said, 3 of my stocks went up 6-7% today alone and I own a lot in those so who am I to complain!

I do think I will dabble a little in CYDY soon as well. Who knows, still have a large chunk in cash in my IRA. I do think there will be a bit of a pull back at some point but I think holding the right stocks will be one way through that. Well, here’s to it.

Bob Sacamano said:
Had some recently free up myself. Not really interested in letting it sit long. Think I might plow it into a REIT or 2. Currently leaning VTR and/or SPG.
Looking at VTR real hard as well.

Stock gurus: I grabbed this company's stock a month ago: Dermira. Some drug company that has a promising drug in the pipeline.

Today was announced they are being bought by Eli Lilly

Thought that would be great news but The price Lilly offered is below what the price is trading at. Have no clue what that means. I was going to sell but anyone have any insight / best guesses here?
IMO, buyout offer normally equals sell. But it appears they're being lowballed. Or at least, that's what the market thinks.

Chet - did you ever get your 5-10 million of CYDY? Are you still super high on the stock?

Hoping for a good week. Would be nice to get news Monday or Tuesday after the conference highlighting more positive data. 

I’m finally slightly above water after having bought equal parts at 1.09 then .92 then .86

NajehHejan said:
Chet - did you ever get your 5-10 million of CYDY? Are you still super high on the stock?

Hoping for a good week. Would be nice to get news Monday or Tuesday after the conference highlighting more positive data. 

I’m finally slightly above water after having bought equal parts at 1.09 then .92 then .86
Morning headline. I don't think this is unexpected but could still move the stock price today: https://finance.yahoo.com/news/cytodyn-files-breakthrough-therapy-designation-100010125.html

NajehHejan said:

Still working on it.

It's possible that Alex Trebek goes on leronlimab to treat his pancreatic cancer.  #CYDY

Good day for TDOC, too
Another one that I watched way too long. I remember in the 50s last year and then it ran up and dipped back to 61. SMH. That and LK are looking like my misses that I really liked and was just stupid. Well, at least my stocks did really well today overall. APPN is up over 10% like TDIC, so that’s nice. That and ZS have been rolling the last 5 days.

Yeah I did a 1000 shares at .29 and another 1000 at .61, am kicking myself I didn’t do 10k at each.  
I can just act like I did and I lost some money elsewhere! I’ve got 500 shares of TTD that I wish I bought at $50, but it’s made me a ton even though I bought at triple that. 

stbugs said:
I can just act like I did and I lost some money elsewhere! I’ve got 500 shares of TTD that I wish I bought at $50, but it’s made me a ton even though I bought at triple that. 
TTD has been good to me this past year too.  I wasn't in the picture when it was at $50.  That would have been great. 

For those of which are considering dabbling in the precious metals—here is some stats that might interest you. Global sovereign debt just grew to $253 trillion dollars.   The global sovereign debt to global GDP ratio now sits at 322%—the highest its ever been.  Historically—gold tends to thrive in times where there are high levels of sovereign debt—and it’s never been this high.    The metals might be a sleepy asset the vast majority of the time—but I believe that conditions are lining up for them to thrive moderately to significantly in the next year or two. 

chet said:
There's a replay but he introduced the drug, talked about HIV and then focused on today's filing.  The PR references ~10 types of cancer.  The implications are both mind blowing and boggling.
dammit. Now I want to play a game of Boggle

Sold KIM, bought PK today.  Holding VTR.  :P
Well, I was about to get in until I read this. The financials are hard to argue with. I'm still interested long term, but will look to add in the low 50's. Oh well, guess I'll buy a bit more precious metals in the meantime.

PK paying >> 9%, though

Might have to look into that. I keep thinking the Airbnb/VRBO model has to have significant impact to the hotel industry, but I can't claim to know anything about the Hilton/Park model.  I assume they spun out the real estate holdings to get the assets and liabilities off the books and lease them all back?

What's your strategy? I've never bought options, but would love to trail into a larger position of GDX by September.
I'm horrible at timing but my bias is long.

I sold 5 $32 Calls expiring 2/21/20

I sold 10 $26 puts expiring 2/21/20

I collect $270 for doing this and I'm using $3,500 to keep the position open. I'll likely adjust the position if GDX closes above $31, below $26.50, or if I can buy all back for $100 or so before 2/07/20. I sold these on 1/8. Collecting $170 in a month on $3500 is a decent return. The risk, of course, is a large move either way which will eventually happen. It's important to adjust correctly if/when that happens.

*I think biggest risk for large move is to upside so I only sold half of the amount of calls.

I collect $270 for doing this and I'm using $3,500 to keep the position open. I'll likely adjust the position if GDX closes above $31, below $26.50, or if I can buy all back for $100 or so before 2/07/20. I sold these on 1/8. Collecting $170 in a month on $3500 is a decent return. The risk, of course, is a large move either way which will eventually happen. It's important to adjust correctly if/when that happens.

*I think biggest risk for large move is to upside so I only sold half of the amount of calls.
As a general trade, I like how you are thinking. But in a frothy market when cash is being pumped into the system and inflation could rear its ugly head, I don't like this trade at this moment. I think your gut is correct in that you sold less calls than puts. That feels right. So if it is more likely for a spike up rather than a big drop, I'd have focused the trades on only selling puts. But it all boils down to where you think gold is heading.

Thanks for the explanation. I need to get my head wrapped around options. Not sure I want to get involved, but I do like the idea of getting paid to hedge for a stock you want to own at a set price. I know the basics have been explained in this thread a few times.

Thanks for the explanation. I need to get my head wrapped around options. Not sure I want to get involved, but I do like the idea of getting paid to hedge for a stock you want to own at a set price. I know the basics have been explained in this thread a few times.
If you ever have a price you want to buy at feel free to tag me in a post and I'll walk you through some options. From what I've read, Warren Buffet sometimes sells puts to establish/add to positions so it's a decent strategy. 

...I do like the idea of getting paid to hedge for a stock you want to own at a set price.
That’s selling puts. I’m a fan but I only do cash-secured puts. Naked puts are when you don’t have the cash on hand to cover the purchase, should shares be put to you. Cash secured are safer since you have the collateral but you can’t leverage to make a big premium. If you are OK with hitting a lot of singles instead of swinging for the fences, it is a viable strategy. You need a decent amount of cash to get started, though, and the ROI can look modest. But it is the second safest way to trade options (with selling covered calls as the safest).

What do the sane people use for gold and silver, then? I;m looking to start putting something aside in precious metals for further diversification. 
GLD and SLV for starters.  Those are the ETFs that are backed by the physical and should trade in lock-step with the commodity. Are you looking at Palladium or Platinum too?  

For miners, I think Newmont has historically been the most reliable gold miner to own and for silver, I think somebody already mentioned PAAS.

I'm looking for more torque but I'm also sitting on a trading desk so can move off and on quicker than most, so I wouldn't recommend the leveraged plays. 

Users who are viewing this thread