What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (9 Viewers)

Look for the smoldering piles on the tarmac
Settle down.  Even now, the stock has tripled in 7 weeks.  Today, there was a report from a known short seller that not only distorted many facts but also introduced lots of lies.  Lots of good news this week including filing the basket request for solid cancer tumors, partnership in China and results for patient 4.  Definite buying opportunity.  

Settle down.  Even now, the stock has tripled in 7 weeks.  Today, there was a report from a known short seller that not only distorted many facts but also introduced lots of lies.  Lots of good news this week including filing the basket request for solid cancer tumors, partnership in China and results for patient 4.  Definite buying opportunity.  
In general I think this is sound advice across the board.  I’m not saying this specifically for this stock as I’m not familiar with it—but soo many people think that a market should do nothing but go straight up—and that’s not the case. A market that goes straight up with no peaks and valleys is set up to fall meteorically.  If you truly believe in a company-you don’t let day to day price fluctuations freak you out. If those fluctuations freak you out—you’re probably not a true believer.  It’s healthy for a market to have a few bad days sprinkled in—its no different than when we in Southern California have a minor earthquake. While it might not feel comfortable—its better that the earth releases a bit of energy instead of building it up for something catastrophic. 

I can't even figure a way to buy this stock and someone figured a way out to sell it short?

I can't even figure a way to buy this stock and someone figured a way out to sell it short?
Open a TD Ameritrade account, shoot the lock off your wallet, send some $$$ over and you can buy it.  Probably sell it short there too but I haven't looked.

ETA:  I can't imagine it's hard or expensive to borrow but again, I haven't checked.

Last edited by a moderator:
I want to make something clear.  I don't know where the stock is going in the short term--volatility works both ways.  I don't know how how committed to their short the sellers are.  However, I am going to buy more next week and in a selfish way, I hope I am able to buy lower.  That being said, I am confident in the long term future of the drug and will add regardless.  

However, I would caution people to not get overexposed to the position.  

@chet I checked the short interest on CYDY and note that it spiked from 118,706 shares short on Dec. 13, 2019 to 2.7 Million shares short on Dec. 31 and now to 3.6MM as of Jan 15.  Is this just opportunistic short selling or is the a good short case to be made on this one?
Ahhhhhh, now it makes more sense.  Bet the people behind the short report were the very same who caused the spike in shares short in such a quick period of time.  Scum bags.  Seen this movie before. 

Ahhhhhh, now it makes more sense.  Bet the people behind the short report were the very same who caused the spike in shares short in such a quick period of time.  Scum bags.  Seen this movie before. 
Anytime a stock goes up so much, there will always be naysayers.  I think it's healthy until they start lying and trying to manipulate the price.  TBH, I relish the day when they have to cover.  I AM LONG AND BUYING!!!!

Open a TD Ameritrade account, shoot the lock off your wallet, send some $$$ over and you can buy it.  Probably sell it short there too but I haven't looked.

ETA:  I can't imagine it's hard or expensive to borrow but again, I haven't checked.
What must the margin reqs be to sell an OTC short. 90%LTV? 

Link? I can’t find this anywhere.
I gleaned this info from a comment in the Yahoo conversations about CYDY so make with it what you will. The comment was made by a poster who apparently listened to the conference call, which I did not.

"Did you even listen to the call before you started bashing. So the BLA is delayed, sh_t happens, especially when dealing with FDA. What I tuned into was the NDA in China. NDA for financing with reputable lender in US Talks developing in Europe. And above all, the cancer results don't lie. Go ahead and short or take your money and run But like Nader said, this is not a double or triple digit stock- give it time and patience and see if you trying to short for hundreds was worth missing out on many, many thousands."

I side with Musk in thinking shorting should be illegal. If you don’t like a stick, buy something else. Instead, as it is today, you buy short and start spreading misinformation and outright lies in an attempt to drive down a stock. 

General question but what normally happens to casual investors who have shares of a company that is bought out?  I only have a couple thousand shares in CYDY but I see some here have quite a lot.  If the company is bought by a big biotech company, like Gilead for instance, what typically happens to the shares of investors?  TIA

I side with Musk in thinking shorting should be illegal. If you don’t like a stick, buy something else. Instead, as it is today, you buy short and start spreading misinformation and outright lies in an attempt to drive down a stock. 

Kinda par for the course with OTC stocks. 
Oh well. Stay Long!!

Hold up....

I agree that there are disreputable people on both sides of the investment spectrum and that this "Culpepper Research" is beyond shady (there is literally nothing out there about them other than their suspect website) but making short selling illegal is a ridiculous and even dangerous idea.  It is THE riskiest way to try and turn a profit (not to mention expensive as the negative rebates can eat you alive) and very few can do it successfully over time (and the number of dedicated shorts has dwindled in this melt up).  That said, short sellers play an integral roll in markets, specifically when it comes to spotting frauds, cooked books and potential bubbles.  They can keep markets honest.  Shorts called the Enron fiasco, the tech bubble and most importantly the housing bubble and its toxic assets.  Don't forget that; that is critical to our history and the people screaming about it were right and should be treated accordingly.  

Pump and dump is akin to these shady short shops doing their thing, but to call for an outright ban on short selling is irresponsible and reeks of whining. 

General question but what normally happens to casual investors who have shares of a company that is bought out?  I only have a couple thousand shares in CYDY but I see some here have quite a lot.  If the company is bought by a big biotech company, like Gilead for instance, what typically happens to the shares of investors?  TIA
Depends on the terms of the deal,  but you usually wind up with the buying company's stock. So, if GILD agreed to pay 2.00 per share for CYDY, you'd get whatever that calculates to in GILD shares unless you sell. 

Depends on the terms of the deal,  but you usually wind up with the buying company's stock. So, if GILD agreed to pay 2.00 per share for CYDY, you'd get whatever that calculates to in GILD shares unless you sell. 
You can also get cash and shares too.  Lotta different outcomes.

Musk should concentrate more on the fundamentals of running a profitable company and less on the people betting against his bloated balance sheet.  

So this is a looooong way off and we’ll have more info as the date gets closer, but what are you all planning to do with your money around the election? I’m thinking of putting it on the sideline until it’s over if it seems likely a D wins. I imagine a trump wins sends it soaring however. 

Nothing imminent just something I’ve been thinking about.  

So this is a looooong way off and we’ll have more info as the date gets closer, but what are you all planning to do with your money around the election? I’m thinking of putting it on the sideline until it’s over if it seems likely a D wins. I imagine a trump wins sends it soaring however. 

Nothing imminent just something I’ve been thinking about.  
Pretty sure market has priced in his easy victory.   The candidates on the other side suck and people think things are fine.  

JP Morgan forecasting at 5.3% YOY contraction in Chinese Q1 GDP

Chinese food prices up 20% Jan 2020 YOY due in part to African Swine Flu 

At what point does this spill into our economy/markets? Seems wild that we're still steaming. 
Good question.  Xi must be ####ting bricks over those kind of numbers.  It will spill over, but the markets are forward looking, so may look past this.  We'll see.

My TMF allocation is looking golden for the next bit, at least.

Agree with Culdeus, market basically priced a Trump win in (or Bloomberg, market wouldn’t care between either of them) - the notion of Sanders not even a thought to the market at these prices (kind of agree and don’t think he has a real shot).

Bought more CYDY at .87 today. I’m done buying for now, good luck to us!

Thinking about adding to my gold hoard too.

I read through some of these comments and truly hope nobody has more than 5% (really 1-2% tops to be direct) of their wealth invested in CYDY... I’ve learned my lesson not following these rules.

This is the definition of speculation, don’t imagine Lambos while buying this, imagine how you’ll feel if this goes to zero, which is absolutely within the realm of possibilities.

I read through some of these comments and truly hope nobody has more than 5% (really 1-2% tops to be direct) of their wealth invested in CYDY... I’ve learned my lesson not following these rules.

This is the definition of speculation, don’t imagine Lambos while buying this, imagine how you’ll feel if this goes to zero, which is absolutely within the realm of possibilities.
Currently an RCH over 1% 😢

It’s about 50% of my investment portfolio (non 401 and 529).  But I’m just dipping my toes in, it’s a small portfolio and it all money I’m prepared to lose.  

I’m at about 2% so, ya, it’s all good. Now once it runs up, CYDY could represent more like 10% of my net worth which I could live with. 

I have about a quarter of my portfolio sitting on the sidelines in cash. I was planning to dump it across the three fund portfolio, but given the coronavirus and half of China shutting down, I am thinking about waiting a bit. That manufacturing and Chinese economy hit is going to to trickle through the world economy soon enough; no?  Won’t that cause markets to take a major hit if the virus situation remains the same or gets worse during the next few months?  I know you’re not supposed to try and time the market, but it sure seems like conditions are ripe for a small correction. 

Users who are viewing this thread