What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (8 Viewers)

hey guys question: last week before the market tank I initiated a 401k rollover to my new employer.  the check has not yet arrived to the new bank.  any recommendations on what to do invest in since we are in this strange situation? looking high level recommendations.
Send your new hiring manager a bottle of champagne and a thank you note? That kind of luck could cut your retirement by a few years.

If someone in my family gets the Kung-Fu flu, I'm getting myself a hotel room.
You'll have it too, then you can give it to the few people stuck traveling, then they can fly home and share it with their community. 

I don't see the upside in Marriott's stock. 

another end-of-day selloff here?

I'm guessing people don't want to hold over the weekend with pending doom to be reported.

I'm guessing BUY BUY BUY on Purell, facemasks,  bottle water, disposable gloves and cold medicine stocks.   It's gonna be some record sales for the next few weeks for those companies.   

Marriott is shockingly holding up.  I don't get it.
All travel industry has to be short covering heading into the weekend, no chance it is anything else. Like you said yesterday, there is no chance any money large enough to move prices is sitting around saying I need to own cruise ships, hotels, and airlines right now! It's short covering, they've made buckets and I'd assume are taking some off into the weekend, has to be, no other explanation. 

another end-of-day selloff here?

I'm guessing people don't want to hold over the weekend with pending doom to be reported.
I'm not a buyer into the weekend, but I guess I could somewhat see gamblers trying to catch a knife on a Friday afternoon.

The FOMO crowd hasn't taken enough punishment yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are so many industries and events that could be impacted. The cruise industry is big in south Florida, where 2 of the 3 largest cruise terminals are located. I have plans to go to an education conference in Orlando next week - the organizers opened up registration again after closing it lasst week - not sure if that was due to cancellations. I'm driving to the meeting, which reduces exposure compared to flying from a crowded airport in an enclosed plane. My oldest daughter is graduating in June in Boston - by them I hope we'll know more about the spread of the virus. The education industry could be directly affected. In Miami-Dade public schools, they're placing hand sanitizers in all rooms, even for kindergarten students.
My father in law was checking cruise ticket prices lately, they're dropping like bricks. They're getting hammered by this.

ETA: the cruise companies, not my in-laws.

up another $2k trading poison today (aka TVIX).

Gets me about halfway back from what I'm down trying to short it.

Apple still has a P/E over 20 (and that assumes their business doesn't shrink)... I don't see the need to pay a price that is historically high for them right now. 

Can someone explain why that is wrong and I should begin nibbling now?

up another $2k trading poison today (aka TVIX).

Gets me about halfway back from what I'm down trying to short it.
Take your $2k and run, TVIX is garbage. If you want to take crazy risks guessing on immediate direction, just buy or sell index futures. 

That could send us down again, or it's what do that say....'already priced in 😉.

Man if they do a rate cut and the market doesn't even budge, thefed will fill their pants and this market will really head south. 
Rate cuts are absolutely a waste of ammo... Further shows how clueless the Fed is. If there really is a pandemic, they'll need as much ammo as possible for when it ends. 

Hey guys, heading to the mall to go on major shopping spree bc money is cheaper and more abundant, I'll risk the virus for my new Nikes!

Money is already cheap and abundant you ####### worthless banker morons!!!

Called off my 25% buy just now. Had to see if we could hold 2920. Going home to watch the CNBC freak show (commercial free last night :lmao:  ) and some NFL combine. 

The speed of the movements is truly chaos. Like in seconds 50 points up down up down... I feel like the other shoe hasn't dropped, and that will be when we start seeing clusters showing up. To me, if I'm dividing my LT nibbling, that'll be when I start. 

Take your $2k and run, TVIX is garbage. If you want to take crazy risks guessing on immediate direction, just buy or sell index futures. 
I've got to admit, it's nerve racking watching my "investment" swing hundreds of dollars every 5 mins.

"got in too late ...", "oh, shoulda got out there ...", or "dang, got out way too soon..." every time I make any move.

Rate cuts are absolutely a waste of ammo... Further shows how clueless the Fed is. If there really is a pandemic, they'll need as much ammo as possible for when it ends. 

Hey guys, heading to the mall to go on major shopping spree bc money is cheaper and more abundant, I'll risk the virus for my new Nikes!

Money is already cheap and abundant you ####### worthless banker morons!!!
Totally agree on the bolded, who cares about rates moving another 1%. Solve the virus. 

The speed of the movements is truly chaos. Like in seconds 50 points up down up down... I feel like the other shoe hasn't dropped, and that will be when we start seeing clusters showing up. To me, if I'm dividing my LT nibbling, that'll be when I start. 
There’s a lot of temptation but my dabble yesterday is flat. One went up nicely due to beating earnings. The other down about the same on no news just because. Going to watch a little longer maybe spend some time over the weekend figuring out what else to dabble in next week. TTD is killing it for me today. Beating the S&P by 4% today so I’ll take that instead of another ### kicking. Too bad AMZN is my biggest holding. Was rolling and not so much anymore. I see the supply chain issue but man it’s in the sweet spot of people not wanting to go out with Prime Video, Prime Delivery and AWS.

trying to time when I sell my inverse play, up 20K in 48 hours(look at me).

So when do I sell?  

I have 7 minutes before this market closes.

NQ Futures are utterly insane for a Friday at 4:07pm. They're just gutting some mom and pop shorts right now who were looking for the Friday selloff. Absolutely no other reason for Friday panic buying right now. 

Wasnt someone here bullish gold miners.  I made a play eod yesterday and looking at it now glad to get out with a 5% loss.
The miners are always kind of high risk, high reward.

Gold getting killed today too. Figure some combination of a search for liquidity and diminished demand for luxury goods.
Thanks, I was hoping for some thoughts on why the Gold ETFs fared poorly today.

I put some of my money into Gold ETFs (GLD and IAU) - obviously I wasn't expecting today's result.

I didnt see that coming--nor did I see it with silver. I've been buying both for a few years--and luckily-I'm still looking really good with my average buy ins--but dang--you know things are bad when the safe havens are dropping as bad as the markets. 
I didn't see it coming either... but I think we're not far from a swell in the general public's desire to buy precious metals.

Kinda want to short some things right now (I’ve got an hour to think about it). Pandemic is becoming clear, the only reason we aren’t there yet is because we’re inept & unprepared, which scares me even more.

The end of today was the dumbest thing ever and those people or algos are getting slaughtered at 6pm on Sunday night.

UAL just postponed their investor day scheduled for next week.

Does anyone have a valid reason this won’t get killed on Monday Morning? 

Kinda want to short some things right now (I’ve got an hour to think about it). Pandemic is becoming clear, the only reason we aren’t there yet is because we’re inept & unprepared, which scares me even more.

The end of today was the dumbest thing ever and those people or algos are getting slaughtered at 6pm on Sunday night.
I’m not so sure, going into the weekend fairly flat although I have a big chunk of TLT

To Recap:

1) Market was inflated by most objective accounts

2) Corona virus becoming a real global pandemic

3) Market's worst week since 2009

4) Bernie favorite to come out ahead this Super Tuesday

What is the correct short term play next week?  How do we expect the market to play out in the short term?

To Recap:

1) Market was inflated by most objective accounts

2) Corona virus becoming a real global pandemic

3) Market's worst week since 2009

4) Bernie favorite to come out ahead this Super Tuesday

What is the correct short term play next week?  How do we expect the market to play out in the short term?
Slaughtered, still plenty of optimism  priced in there. Economy has been held up for a while by the consumer, this is prob the end of that.

There’s a powerful bounce at some point, but this sucker is going down hard at 6pm on Sunday night... God I wish I was substantially short right now! :kicksrock:

This is a black swan event, it’s still early too. We’re only down 12% from lofty late cycle levels at this juncture. There were warning signs, we had a 2-3 week window to spot it, entire market was too complacent, nothing bad can happen.

If you do believe this is a black swan, you can save now, profit, buy more lower. I need to invest a lot of time into how to play this. 

Users who are viewing this thread